PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Revolution (Old Original Wii thread from 2005)

photon
05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140623

Interseting direction by the big N.

Flames89
05-17-2005, 11:41 AM
If that is true about being significantly underpowered compared to the XBOX360 and PS3 - it is going to get HAMMERED!

Goodbye Sega, now Nintendo. In 7 years you manage to go from owning the videogame industry to sitting on the sidelines. Unbelievable.

What is Revolutionary about that?

kdogg
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Great idea. I'll buy one. Nothing beats the fun-factor of the Marios.
________
SweetAngel (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/SweetAngel)

Inferno
05-17-2005, 11:50 AM
I'll pass. As much as games like Mario Brothers and Zelda ruled when I was a kid I'm just not into them anymore.

SoulOfTheFlame
05-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Revolution... Interesting name... especially considering what we're reading from Nintendo. I think.. 'Slight Improvement' may be a more appropriate name for the console.

I'm not optomistic about this thing's chances.

They've made the thing look sleek and "techy". Which doesn't strike me as very smart, considering that their niche market has and will (maybe) continue to be kids, younger gamers. They'd probabley have done better to stick with the colourful, warm look of the GC. At least the thing is very small... which does appeal to the japanese market.

Still, About the only thing that will allow them to compete is if this system's price point is Very, very low.

Software support doesn't look good either. I know if I were making a groundbreaking game I wouldn't be making it for a system with less than a third of the power of one of its compeditors (ps3).

Hakan
05-17-2005, 11:57 AM
I think everyone is writing this off way too early. As I said elsewhere, Nintendo makes a profit on every unit they sell. Xbox has lost over a billion dollars. Nintendo makes the best games by far. There will be good games on this system, you can bet. And with that understood why should power make a difference? People are focused too much on graphics and glitz and not real fun.

Besides, from what I've read, it looks to be quite revolutionary with wireless networking and gyroscopic controllers. Trust Nintendo to make a great product regardless of what is under the hood.

photon
05-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I like the reverse compatibility as well.. all the way back to the NES lol. I suspect you'll have to buy the old games on their online service however since there's no cartridge slots.

Bring_Back_Shantz
05-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Nintendo is kind of a strange company. They bug the hell out of me because they continue to make the same games over and over again. How many mario party's can they possibly make? Untill they start to produce flagship games like Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto (Granted it's available on X-Box now so it isn't really a flagship anymore), or Halo, they will lag.

Faid1
05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
I think it has a nice look (far better than the PS2) and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what's revolutionary about it.

Everyone loves to diss Nintendo (even me) but last year they made more profit than Sony and Microsoft.

photon
05-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I wonder how much of that profit was from the GC, and how much of it was from their handhelds?

Flames Draft Watcher
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Zelda, Metroid and Paper Mario World 2 for the Gamecube were probably the best games I've played in the past few years. Like that type of game far more than a Halo or a Grand Theft Auto.

I've also mention that their controllers are the best of any of the consoles.

I've owned all 3 systems and the Gamecube is the only one I've kept so far.

Faid1
05-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by photon@May 17 2005, 11:53 AM
I wonder how much of that profit was from the GC, and how much of it was from their handhelds?
Doesn't say

In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader, having generated $45 billion in game related revenue from fiscal 1998 through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company, earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal 2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games division) and $1.8 billion for Electronic Arts. Microsoft is clearly an up-and-coming powerhouse, although the company has reported heavy losses from its games division.

http://www.dfcint.com/news/prmar2205.html

Hakan
05-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Bring_Back_Shantz@May 17 2005, 11:40 AM
Nintendo is kind of a strange company. They bug the hell out of me because they continue to make the same games over and over again. How many mario party's can they possibly make? Untill they start to produce flagship games like Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto (Granted it's available on X-Box now so it isn't really a flagship anymore), or Halo, they will lag.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. First you criticize Nintendo for making flagship Mario games then you congratulate Sony and MS for making flagship games.

Mario is THE flagship franchise. It's great because every incarnation of it is different and fun. GTA has had three identical games. That's great, see my point about the homogenization and dumming down of the gaming industry?

kdogg
05-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Best Multipler Game Ever Made ... Super Smash Brothers Melee
________
CyberPoison cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/CyberPoison)

MrMastodonFarm
05-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:10 PM
Mario is THE flagship franchise. It's great because every incarnation of it is different and fun. GTA has had three identical games. That's great, see my point about the homogenization and dumming down of the gaming industry?
But, how many Mario games were the same before they switched it up?

They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now. You say GTA has 3 games now, but Mario had atleast a dozen before they did anyting new, even now they throw him into every possible game.

GTA changed big time from GTA 2 too GTA 3, it was a major shift.

MrMastodonFarm
05-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by kdogg@May 17 2005, 01:44 PM
Best Multipler Game Ever Made ... Super Smash Brothers Melee
I can't remember how many hours I spent with a group of friends in grade 9 playing Goldenye for the Nintendo64.

MrMastodonFarm
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by fotze@May 17 2005, 01:49 PM

Mario has just spawned various arms of same ole shinguard series'. There's the racing series (fata those games are infuriating), tennis, tetris crap, side scrolling jump on moving levels funola.
Mario Kart is alot of fun, never played in on the Game Cube.. infact I've never played anything on the Gamecube.

I used to love it on the Super Nintendo and the 64 though, and the Game Boy/advaned or whatever it is. The game boy that came out just before the flip one.. and didn't have its own light so you cant play in the dark.

Hakan
05-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm+May 17 2005, 12:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrMastodonFarm @ May 17 2005, 12:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:10 PM
But, how many Mario games were the same before they switched it up?

They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now. You say GTA has 3 games now, but Mario had atleast a dozen before they did anyting new, even now they throw him into every possible game.

GTA changed big time from GTA 2 too GTA 3, it was a major shift. [/b][/quote]
GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas are essentially the same game. Not much in the way of originality there.

Mario Bros -> donkey kong like level-less game

Super Mario Bros -> hugely influencial and popular level based game, invented the side scroller

Super Mario 2 -> VERY different from SMB

Super Mario 3 -> VERY different from Mario 2, back to SMB roots but had way more, one of the best games ever

Super Mario World -> complete revision of Mario 3, better graphics, gameplay, levels etc.

Yoshi's Adventure -> meh

Mario 64 -> again first fun and smooth use of of a 3d world on a platform system, one of the best games ever

Mario Sunshine -> refinement of Mario 64 way more levels and thigns to do, much different gameplay

Then incorporate Mario Kart (one of the best games ever) Mario Party (one of the best multiplayer games ever) and you have a very diverse franchise.

To say it is stagnant compared to GTA is just laughable.

MrMastodonFarm
05-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:54 PM

Super Mario Bros -> hugely influencial and popular level based game, invented the side scroller

Super Mario 3 -> VERY different from Mario 2, back to SMB roots but had way more, one of the best games ever

Is Haken German for Mario or something?

I really don't care which is less stagnent, go off to the races with that arguement if you wan't. My point was that Mario has had a hell of alot of side scrolling advertures, and updated ones too.

The difference between GTA San Andreas and GTA 3 is pretty big, they've added a HELL of alot of things.. and San Andrea and the first GTA.. well that speaks for itself. If you can claim Mario 3 is way different then Mario 1 and then say the GTA games are the exact same.. well, you're out of your gord.

Mario Bros 2 sucked by the way.

Flames Draft Watcher
05-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm@May 17 2005, 07:45 PM
They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now.
I'd suggest that Zelda and Metroid were the true flagship games of the Gamecube.

Or for multiplayer we have the aforementioned Super Smash Bros. Probably the best multiplayer game I've played outside of hockey (and that is obviously a niche game.)

MrMastodonFarm
05-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Flames Draft Watcher+May 17 2005, 02:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flames Draft Watcher @ May 17 2005, 02:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MrMastodonFarm@May 17 2005, 07:45 PM
They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now.
I'd suggest that Zelda and Metroid were the true flagship games of the Gamecube.
[/b][/quote]
I don't know, I've never played the Gamecude. Are they?

The face of Mario is still the face of Nintendo though, that was my point. Mario isn't exactly as popular with the kids as he used to be now is he?

Hakan
05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Mario 2 does suck.

I've played all three systems, GC, is what I enjoy the most. Most fun games.

Calgary Flames
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
ZzzzzZZzzzzZZz Nintendo is still around? Gamecube was the last Nintendo system I will ever buy. Best paper weight $200 could buy.

kdogg
05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Gamecube has the simplicty factor to it. If a bunch of friends want to play a multiplayer game, they don't need that 5 hours learning curve to get good at the game. Thats why those Mario Karts, Smash Brothers, Mario Parties make the best multiplayer games.

I just think ALOT of games on PS2 and XBox are too complex these days. I don't want to spend an entire evening at a friends house to learn the game while getting betten up by a buddy.
________
Infants Wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Bill Bumface
05-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by kdogg@May 17 2005, 03:17 PM
Gamecube has the simplicty factor to it. If a bunch of friends want to play a multiplayer game, they don't need that 5 hours learning curve to get good at the game. Thats why those Mario Karts, Smash Brothers, Mario Parties make the best multiplayer games.
Yeah.. Unless your friends happen to have hundreds of hours of Smash Brothers experience and you last about 30 seconds... <_< .. hypothetically that is.

spydermal
05-17-2005, 03:33 PM
smash bros for the game cube, is one of the funnest 4 player games around. Its half the reason i failed chem 30 and have to redue it this time around.

Flames Draft Watcher
05-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by hulkrogan+May 17 2005, 09:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hulkrogan @ May 17 2005, 09:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kdogg@May 17 2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah.. Unless your friends happen to have hundreds of hours of Smash Brothers experience and you last about 30 seconds... <_< .. hypothetically that is. [/b][/quote]
That's what the auto-handicap option is for ;)

kdogg
05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Flames Draft Watcher+May 17 2005, 02:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flames Draft Watcher @ May 17 2005, 02:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by hulkrogan@May 17 2005, 09:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kdogg@May 17 2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah.. Unless your friends happen to have hundreds of hours of Smash Brothers experience and you last about 30 seconds... <_< .. hypothetically that is.
That's what the auto-handicap option is for ;)[/b][/quote]
ssssssshhhhhh........ your not suppose to tell him that. :ph34r:
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

I_H8_Crawford
05-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm+May 17 2005, 01:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrMastodonFarm @ May 17 2005, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:54 PM

Is Haken German for Mario or something?

I really don't care which is less stagnent, go off to the races with that arguement if you wan't. My point was that Mario has had a hell of alot of side scrolling advertures, and updated ones too.

The difference between GTA San Andreas and GTA 3 is pretty big, they've added a HELL of alot of things.. and San Andrea and the first GTA.. well that speaks for itself. If you can claim Mario 3 is way different then Mario 1 and then say the GTA games are the exact same.. well, you're out of your gord.

Mario Bros 2 sucked by the way. [/b][/quote]
So let me get this straight - you're comparing 4th gen video games ala GTA: SA to 8-bit Mario and Mario 3? What do you think Nintendo should have done back then? Full out 3D Mario 3 on their awesome NES hardware?
At the time of it's release, SMB 3 was hearalded as one of the best games ever made... never heard those accolades thrown down on the GTA series... and as much as you like to claim the "new" GTA games have changed... they're still just run around, kill whomever you want, and do some missions to get money to buy stuff... wow. Cities get bigger each sequel, more things to buy/do, but it's still the same game.

Anyways, I wouldn't count Nintendo out yet - another rumour I hear about the Revolution is that Nintendo has developed TRUE 3D games, using technology that filmmakers such as Lucas, Jackson and Spielberg have been looking into for movies. Hardware isn't everything; I don't care if a game is the best-looking game ever, if the gameplay sucks, I won't touch it - probably one of the reasons why I love retro games so much. Even now I have more fun going back and playing old-school zelda, etc. than I do games such as GTA.

La Flames Fan
05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Bring on the 360!!

The Fonz
12-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I was searching for something else and I found this thread.

I thought it was interesting to read some of the comments on nintendo, considering how well the wii is doing

FireFly
12-16-2007, 02:49 PM
This is a very interesting thread considering how revolutionary the Wii really has been. Any of those who said they'd never get one break down and try it? I'd love to compare the posts in this thread to the ones in the Super Mario Galaxy thread...

Kipru
12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
If that is true about being significantly underpowered compared to the XBOX360 and PS3 - it is going to get HAMMERED!

Goodbye Sega, now Nintendo. In 7 years you manage to go from owning the videogame industry to sitting on the sidelines. Unbelievable.

What is Revolutionary about that?

http://nexgenwars.com/

FireFly
12-16-2007, 03:05 PM
When did the Wii pass the Xbox? Anyone know?

REDVAN
12-16-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't have a Wii, but I have palyed it lots.

I was skeptical that the controller would be too weird, and the games would be too cartoony, but once you play it you realize how fun it is. Wii has changed the market again, and brought back the fun of the game to the masses.

Resolute 14
12-16-2007, 05:17 PM
When did the Wii pass the Xbox? Anyone know?

I think within the past couple months. Maybe six weeks ago.

OutOfTheCube
12-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Haha, and now Galaxy is a completely revolutionary and new Mario game while GTAIV is just the same thing over again.

Whoever was arguing that = owned.

McG
12-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Haha, and now Galaxy is a completely revolutionary and new Mario game while GTAIV is just the same thing over again.

this is a very interesting thread...i had to read it to find out what got it bumped!

i don't think that the wii pwns the 360 or for that matter the ps3. nor do i think those consoles pwn the wii.

i have a wii, a 360 and the original xbox and they are all different experiences. for sure...the 360 games are not usually as easy to pick up as the wii games...but for me the quality and quantity of 360 games cannot be touched right now. next year? who knows?

when i play games with my kids...its usually the wii or gh2/3 on the 360. when i play games by myself or online...its the 360 easily.

its all personal...but in no way does one console pwn another. how can they when they have different specs, different games, and different intentional experiences? the 360 is intended to be a network extending device...but that is what it is good at if you see what i mean. anyways...

i predict right now that the next xbox has controllers that function like the wiimote, and the games to go with it. it if wasn't so obvious...m$ would do it on the 360.

this is to take nothing away from the wii which has been a breakthrough on many levels...but it doesn't pwn any other platform imo.

OutOfTheCube
12-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Sales wise Wii 'pwns' every other platform, no denying that.

Personally, I would take Mario Galaxy over every game in the 360's line up, but that's just me. Add on Smash Bros. in February and it's no contest.

Hakan
12-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Interesting to see that come true.

Betting on Mario is always a pretty good bet though.

I can't see how GTA will be any different besides updated graphics. If I am Microsoft or Sony I would be pretty concerned about the state of the next-gen market. Something like 45% of the games on Xbox are first person shooters with even more to come. It just doesn't show alot of growth potential.

Nintendo's business strategy seems to be the most rewarding so far. I am actually considering investing in NIntendo. They are the most profitable Japanese company right now and have the second highest market capitalization on the japanese stock exchange. Amazing turn around for them.

Wii isn't perfect either, there are still many concerns over the retention rate of teh system. I would guess that once their motion controller technology is even further refined for future systems than the market will take off even more.

MrMastodonFarm
12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Haven't not owned a game system since a Nintendo64 I think I still feel okay about myself after getting "owend" in this thread.

The Wii is alot of fun though, but I think the newst GTA will make me get a 360, that looks amazing. I'm suprised how Mario is still fun though, having played New Super Mario Bros on the DS, it's amazing how simple and fun that game is.

MarchHare
12-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I own a 360, but I've played a Wii several times (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Excite Truck, and Warioware). For me, anyway, there's just no compelling reason to get a Wii, and I've been less than impressed whenever I've played it. Sure, Wii Sports is a neat game the first time you try it, but after the novelty of the motion-sensing controller wears off, you realize just how simple it is. I've had more fun playing Virtua Tennis and Top Spin with conventional controllers than I've had playing Wii Sports Tennis with the Wiimote.

Even my wife, who I thought would love the Wii, got bored with it quickly. You can't argue with success, though, and Nintendo has been supremely successful with the Wii, so I guess we're in the minority.

McG
12-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Sales wise Wii 'pwns' every other platform, no denying that.

Personally, I would take Mario Galaxy over every game in the 360's line up, but that's just me. Add on Smash Bros. in February and it's no contest.

see, that's the thing. i'm thinking that rock band will be the game over all other games that i own or want to own...more so than gh2 or 3 or any other game. but then again, i'm a huge burnout fan and i am disappointed with the new demo so who is to say what will be a person's fave at any given point in time?

i think that the 360 has more purchases of games per unit actually...and that's not surprising given time on the market.

to each his own though for sure...because i love the FPS on the 360, and the online play. at times i feel that the wii just cut some corners.

MarchHare
12-17-2007, 10:04 PM
i think that the 360 has more purchases of games per unit actually...and that's not surprising given time on the market.

This is true. Nintendo is selling more consoles overall, but Microsoft has a much higher games sold per console sold ratio. A very significant portion of Wii owners are only playing Wii Sports and Wii Play (which they only purchased because it included a controller).

OutOfTheCube
12-17-2007, 11:13 PM
This is true. Nintendo is selling more consoles overall, but Microsoft has a much higher games sold per console sold ratio. A very significant portion of Wii owners are only playing Wii Sports and Wii Play (which they only purchased because it included a controller).

I'm not buying that argument anymore... Wii controllers are now readily available seperately, yet Wii Play still managed to sell over 500,000 copies last month.

Hakan
12-18-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm not buying that argument anymore... Wii controllers are now readily available seperately, yet Wii Play still managed to sell over 500,000 copies last month.
There's really no other reason.

WiiPlay flat out sucks. I wish I didn't buy it and saved the extra 20 bucks by just buying a regular controller.

Dan02
12-18-2007, 03:51 AM
Must admit i was on the Wii looks ######ed list. After playing my friends some... I'm "getting" one for Christmas:bag:

JayP
12-18-2007, 08:46 AM
This is true. Nintendo is selling more consoles overall, but Microsoft has a much higher games sold per console sold ratio.

Of course it does. It's been out for twice as long as the Wii (and PS3). More time owning a system means more games bought for the system.

It would be an outright joke if it didn't have more games sold per console.

Bertuzzied
12-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Of course it does. It's been out for twice as long as the Wii (and PS3). More time owning a system means more games bought for the system.

It would be an outright joke if it didn't have more games sold per console.

Not only that, but to release a system that had a 30% failure rate is ridiculous. I know 4 people who own an xbox360 and all 4 have had to send them in. My cousin had to send his in 3 times!