PDA

View Full Version : Dr Pepper 10 in Canada?

nickerjones
10-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Have you guys seen this stuff in Canada? Holy crap is freakin awesome. I am a diet drinker mainly because of Diabetes. It has 10 calories and 2g of sugar per can. It is 10X better than Diet Dr Pepper and Coke Zero ( my favorites) .
http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/10/dr-pepper.jpeg

ernie
10-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I find it terrible. Waaaaaay too sweet.

Eastern Girl
10-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Why is it not for women?

What a stupid ad for pop.

ricosuave
10-15-2011, 03:28 PM
has anyone seen this in calgary?

just checked local safeway and superstore, not there

hmm, didnt realize the OP was in the states...

Lobotroth
10-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Why is it not for women?

Especially considering the can itself has a very effeminate quality.

getbak
10-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Why is it not for women?

Definitely one of my pet peeves, when a company advertises a product that is in no way gender specific as a gender specific product.

puckluck
10-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Is your thread title a question or a statement?

nickerjones
10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Is your thread title a question or a statement?

thats the beauty of it .... but really it's a question... since Im from Oklahoma and wouldnt know if it's in Canada.

Slava
10-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Why is it not for women?

Because its sweet enough for a woman, but made for a man?

nickerjones
10-15-2011, 03:37 PM
I find it terrible. Waaaaaay too sweet.

Do you drink diet drinks regularly? I find a lot of the people I know that do have the same response.

drewboy12
10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Why is it not for women?

I read the other day they are trying to reach the market of middle age men. Because it is women who mostly purchase diet sodas. Its like marketing soap for both genders, even though they are the same product. Some smell different, some don't.

photon
10-15-2011, 03:51 PM
This'll be just one more in a long list of diet pops we don't get here.

guzzy
10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
has anyone seen this in calgary?

just checked local safeway and superstore, not there

hmm, didnt realize the OP was in the states...

But did you try the superstore liquor store?

The Goon
10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Why is it not for women?

I'd better not catch any of you broads drinking this on the sly.

gordo67
10-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Dr Pepper is different in the States, it is made by Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc, whereas in Canada it is made by Canada Dry. I find the stuff in the States to be better tasting, just like A&W in the States tastes way better then the stuff you get in the bottle here.

Eastern Girl
10-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I read the other day they are trying to reach the market of middle age men. Because it is women who mostly purchase diet sodas. Its like marketing soap for both genders, even though they are the same product. Some smell different, some don't.

But typically if you want to expand your market, you don't do so by excluding the other entirely, especially when that's the market that typically buys these drinks. They couldn't have just marketed it without saying, "This is not for women" and done other things to subtly appeal to men? And why is it not for women? Because it has fewer calories than the regular drink? Because it has dark purple fonts? How is that manly? Are the men here more likely to buy this than regular Dr. Pepper? Are they more likely to buy it because it says it's not for women? Honest curiosity there. Would this or has this ad worked on you?

The soap comparison doesn't fly with me. Soaps are different, as you say they are different smells which to me makes them different products. My body wash soap smells like cucumber and green tea. My boyfriends soap is in bar form and smells like dirt and scabs or something. He wouldn't use my soap and I wouldn't use his. They are marketed in different ways, because they are different.

This is pop. It's the same pop, the same product, for everyone. Why go out of their way to exclude one whole market? I mean, women can still drink this. I imagine it isn't infused with testosterone or anything, but I just don't understand the marketing. I may have tried this if it came to Canada, because I find the diet Dr. Pepper to be quite gross and unsatisfying. I don't think I'd bother now, to be frank about it.

And while I'm on a rant here (about pop of all things!), I can't think of too many guys I know that are constantly turning down pop because of the calories. Not saying guys don't watch calories, but a guy will drink whatever the hell he wants, beer, pop, whatever. It's the chicks of the world that are constantly on diets and counting calories.

No, this isn't right at all, I tells ya! You can keep your damn pop Dr. Pepper, ya bitch! I didn't want it anyway! :whaa:

CaramonLS
10-15-2011, 07:15 PM
And while I'm on a rant here (about pop of all things!), I can't think of too many guys I know that are constantly turning down pop because of the calories. Not saying guys don't watch calories, but a guy will drink whatever the hell he wants, beer, pop, whatever. It's the chicks of the world that are constantly on diets and counting calories.

Just going to say that I strongly disagree with this part - I think dieting is much more of a private issue for guys than it is girls - just look at the weight loss thread(s) we have here on CP.

Eastern Girl
10-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Fair enough. Maybe it's just the guys I know, but if you mentioned the calories in the beer, pop, whatever they were drinking, they'd laugh in your face. Like I said, not saying guys don't ever count calories, but it's still much more of a chick thing. Never been in a bar where a guy said no more beers because they are too calorie laden. I find weight loss for guys tends to revolve a lot more around eating more proteins and lifting weights than cutting/counting calories. But I'm willing to say I may have been wrong in that part. I'm not a guy. That was just my thought.

Sr. Mints
10-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Now I want to try this; word of mouth truly is the best marketing

Machiavelli
10-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I think the "not for women" bit is kind of clever. It creates an air of exclusivity where none exists.

"This pop isn't for me? Well screw you, I"m going to drink it anyway!"

The Goon
10-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Enjoy your Dr. Pepper 10 with a Yorkie and mock the lady in your life.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/choc_Yorkie2-431x300.jpg

ernie
10-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Do you drink diet drinks regularly? I find a lot of the people I know that do have the same response.

I drink regular and diet...depends on the day. I actually don't know anyone who prefers it over regular or diet Dr. Pepper yet.

drewboy12
10-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I think the "not for women" bit is kind of clever. It creates an air of exclusivity where none exists.

That's what I got out of it to. Women are stubborn. It says its not for them, they want it more...

Eastern Girl
10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I had the opposite reaction.

"This pop isn't for me? Fine, keep your stupid pop, F you. I'll drink tea!"

hkstylez
10-15-2011, 10:25 PM
I had no idea Holy Crap tasted so awesome. :D but yeah, i've never seen this before... where abouts can i go find some?

OutOfTheCube
10-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Like I said, not saying guys don't ever count calories, but it's still much more of a chick thing. Never been in a bar where a guy said no more beers because they are too calorie laden.

You simultaneously slammed and yet completely justified their marketing campaign. Beautiful.

Hack&Lube
10-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Why is it not for women?

Coke Zero was developed for men who felt that drinking Diet Coke was effeminate so it was marketed as the manly diet drink. This is the same strategy.

Ducay
10-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Why is it not for women?

Weird, I thought all women loved DP?

photon
10-16-2011, 10:40 AM
*dr. pepper out the nose*

Thanks Ducay, you've ruined this drink for me forever.

nickerjones
12-07-2011, 08:08 AM
So has this showed up north of the border yet? I still think its awesome. I feel so manly when I am drinking it. =)

valo403
12-07-2011, 08:35 AM
But typically if you want to expand your market, you don't do so by excluding the other entirely, especially when that's the market that typically buys these drinks. They couldn't have just marketed it without saying, "This is not for women" and done other things to subtly appeal to men? And why is it not for women? Because it has fewer calories than the regular drink? Because it has dark purple fonts? How is that manly? Are the men here more likely to buy this than regular Dr. Pepper? Are they more likely to buy it because it says it's not for women? Honest curiosity there. Would this or has this ad worked on you?

The soap comparison doesn't fly with me. Soaps are different, as you say they are different smells which to me makes them different products. My body wash soap smells like cucumber and green tea. My boyfriends soap is in bar form and smells like dirt and scabs or something. He wouldn't use my soap and I wouldn't use his. They are marketed in different ways, because they are different.

This is pop. It's the same pop, the same product, for everyone. Why go out of their way to exclude one whole market? I mean, women can still drink this. I imagine it isn't infused with testosterone or anything, but I just don't understand the marketing. I may have tried this if it came to Canada, because I find the diet Dr. Pepper to be quite gross and unsatisfying. I don't think I'd bother now, to be frank about it.

No, this isn't right at all, I tells ya! You can keep your damn pop Dr. Pepper, ya bitch! I didn't want it anyway! :whaa:

The whole point is that women are more likely to drink diet soda (it's soda, not pop :D) anyways, so you market at the segment that actually requires marketing. Diet soda has, bizarrely, developed a sort of feminine connotation, I've definitely seen guys get their balls busted for drinking it. This ad is an attempt to change that perception, and it's not the first diet soda to use it.

Edit: Ugh, not only am I responding to a 2 month old post I did so to make a point that was made at least twice already. That's some fine work.

THE SCUD
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I'd try it if it was available here. But I doubt it is.

BUT WE GOT SHREDDIES AND YOU DON'T, SO UP YOURS 'MERICA!

THE SCUD
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Dr Pepper 10 is a low-calorie version of Dr Pepper currently being tested in six cities across the United States It is being especially marketed to men

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper

GreenLantern
12-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Nothing tops Diet Pepsi.

Nothing.

Komskies
12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Nothing tops Diet Pepsi.

Nothing.

Coke Zero. Bam!

Yasa
12-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Nothing tops Diet Pepsi.

Nothing.

Anything tops any Pepsi ever.

zukes
12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
If I am going to drink pop, it is always diet. I used to think it was stupid, especially when you hit a fast food chain, but then I realized, it is still saving you 100-200 calories. I rarely get fries anymore at fast food places, rather a salad.

I just figure, I add enough calories by drinking beer, and Lite and especially low calorie beers are just not going to happen, that when I drink pop, what is the point of throwing even more calories into the cauldron?

Bill Bumface
12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
^ That's like me. I used to love pop. Now I love beer. Sorry Pop, it's not you, it's beer.

Northendzone
12-07-2011, 10:32 AM
But did you try the superstore liquor store?

if you are buying pop at the liquor store you must be part of the 1%.....

nickerjones
12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Nothing tops Diet Pepsi.

Nothing.

I like Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. I think that is also a drink you can only get here and not in Calgary.

MaDMaN_26
12-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I had no idea Holy Crap tasted so awesome.

It is actually quite good... and good for you. :bag:

http://holycrap.ca/

troutman
12-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Reverse psychology.

MoneyGuy
12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
That's what I got out of it to. Women are stubborn. It says its not for them, they want it more...

Yup, when I got married and the ladies knew they couldn't have me it just made them want me more. :D

MoneyGuy
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Coke Zero. Bam!

Have to get my vote in for Coke Zero. Love that stuff.

When I order a diet pop, I tell them to put a wee bit of regular in and top it up with diet. It gives you almost all of the flavour of the regular stuff with most of the sugar and calories gone. Try it. My friend calls it "(My last name) on the rocks" and now he orders it, too.

nickerjones
12-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Have to get my vote in for Coke Zero. Love that stuff.

When I order a diet pop, I tell them to put a wee bit of regular in and top it up with diet. It gives you almost all of the flavour of the regular stuff with most of the sugar and calories gone. Try it. My friend calls it "(My last name) on the rocks" and now he orders it, too.

I do that too but only when its coke/diet coke. I cant stand diet coke.

nickerjones
02-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I still love Dr. Pepper 10... Is it still not up there?

However I go to grocery store this weekend in Dallas and what do I see?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2316/img0513jj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/img0513jj.jpg/)

RootBeer 10, RC 10, CANADA DRY 10? OH man I love Ginger Ale..... They also had sunkist 10.. Also Pibb Zero . Mr Pibb is a Dr pepper substitute in a lot of places around oklahoma. Pibb zero has more of a cinnamon taste to me.

pylon
02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Do you have Tahiti Treat in your city? And if so, can you send me a pallet of it?

HalifaxDrunk
02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Why is it not for women?

Simple, only men are Doctors!

nickerjones
02-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Do you have Tahiti Treat in your city? And if so, can you send me a pallet of it?

I have never heard of this... so I would have to assume no.
Although I did just google..
http://www.amazon.com/TAHITIAN-TREAT-SODA-12-pks/dp/B0002IMRTC

and then Sam's Club? We do have Sam's clubs here , I will check for you if you really want some.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tahitian-treat-fruit-punch-soda-12-12-oz/prod3120572.ip?sprodId=prod3120572&_requestid=407041

pylon
02-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I have never heard of this... so I would have to assume no.
Although I did just google..
http://www.amazon.com/TAHITIAN-TREAT-SODA-12-pks/dp/B0002IMRTC

and then Sam's Club? We do have Sam's clubs here , I will check for you if you really want some.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tahitian-treat-fruit-punch-soda-12-12-oz/prod3120572.ip?sprodId=prod3120572&_requestid=407041

Tell you what, if you end up moving here, I will pay you double the retail price for as many cases as you can squeeze into your moving truck.

If there is one thing grocery store item I miss more than anything, it is Tahiti treat. I found some at a CVS last time I was in Vegas, and went into full relapse mode.

nickerjones
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Tell you what, if you end up moving here, I will pay you double the retail price for as many cases as you can squeeze into your moving truck.

If there is one thing grocery store item I miss more than anything, it is Tahiti treat. I found some at a CVS last time I was in Vegas, and went into full relapse mode.

LOL ok ... Ill start the lookout for it. I am moving there, no doubt about it. I;m just not moving until I can work. I don't want to have to sit around like a bum and do nothing but eat poutine all day. I will tell you , I just opened a Canadian Dry 10.... They are AWESOME!!!!!! I havent seen a sugar free Ginger Ale here... this only has 2G of sugar so I can justify drinking one every now and again. Was RC cola ever big in Calgary?

Redliner
02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
LOL ok ... Ill start the lookout for it. I am moving there, no doubt about it. I;m just not moving until I can work. I don't want to have to sit around like a bum and do nothing but eat poutine all day. I will tell you , I just opened a Canadian Dry 10.... They are AWESOME!!!!!! I havent seen a sugar free Ginger Ale here... this only has 2G of sugar so I can justify drinking one every now and again. Was RC cola ever big in Calgary?

I remember drinking RC cola all the time as a kid in the early 80s - you got it from Pic-a-pop but they didn't sell it in "real" stores. Back then I was too young to really taste the difference between colas - I just thought they were all awesome - so I still have no idea if RC is any good or not.

And no, Dr. Pepper Ten is still not available in Canada. Every time anyone I know goes to the the States I have them bring me back a few cases. Damn awesome stuff even if I did have a hard time explaining to my wife why she wasn't allowed to drink it. ("look, honey, it says so right on the package.....")

ripTDR
02-18-2013, 06:11 PM
water is better, i know im gonna get #### for this cause im heading to camp for three weeks tomorrow(so i cant really respond), but diet soda(any soda) is <removed> for ya.

nickerjones
02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
water is better, i know im gonna get #### for this cause im heading to camp for three weeks tomorrow(so i cant really respond), but diet soda(any soda) is <removed> for ya.

Uhhhh ok??? Thanks . I drink plenty if water , I also enjoy soda.

ripTDR
02-18-2013, 07:27 PM
wow... didnt really post a swear there...."s" with a couple of ** there then a "t"

anyways, im sorry for that, and am sorry for saying water is better...ive seen the health affects of a member of my family addicted to diet soda so i might be a bit passionate over it, but i will bow out

sorry cp!

nickerjones
03-23-2013, 06:54 PM
AWWWWW yeah.... Don't know what they have in Canada that is like this but it taste a lot like some sort of cream soda. Awesome and Delicious
http://www.krogerkrazy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/big-red-zero.png