PDA

View Full Version : Louie - Funniest show on TV right now.

To Be Quite Honest
09-17-2011, 04:01 PM
zNRNCk3YwqE

Zj_4vl_H-SI

Contains a bare man's bum....

8qOaZ4CQqKI

Pretty funny show on FX. This network is doing a great job busting out the entertainment.

MoneyGuy
09-17-2011, 04:20 PM
That scene in the comedy club is offensive, but very funny. :D

moon
09-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Louis is funny but I think this season of Curb is blowing it (and everything else) out of the water.

To Be Quite Honest
09-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Louis is funny but I think this season of Curb is blowing it (and everything else) out of the water.

The title is just a play on "the league" title last month... Comedy is subjective and everyone has a different opinion.

And these were last years episodes... :D

moon
09-17-2011, 04:31 PM
The title is just a play on "the league" title last month... Comedy is subjective and everyone has a different opinion.

And these were last years episodes... :D

Didn't see the League thread so sorry I missed that.

I watch Louie online (not sure if it is on TV in Canada).

edmontonice
09-17-2011, 04:42 PM
It has its moments, I really like his standup but I'm finding it hard to get into the show. Except for the episode with his mom.

To Be Quite Honest
09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
It has its moments, I really like his standup but I'm finding it hard to get into the show. Except for the episode with his mom.

Fair enough. He cracks me up with the serious to comedy act that the show has. That uncomfortableness can be "missunderestimated". However, as Moon pointed out. Curb is the uncomfortableness king.

Weiser Wonder
09-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Really fun and very intelligent but it's a depressing show. It's No Exit, the sitcom.

Machiavelli
09-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry...wrong thread

To Be Quite Honest
09-17-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry...wrong thread

Damn tootin' you should apologize!

Bunk
09-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Louie.

It truly is amazing. There were some incredible episodes this season. The scene with Dane Cook was certainly great.

d_phaneuf
09-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Louie.

It truly is amazing. There were some incredible episodes this season. The scene with Dane Cook was certainly great.

was just gonna come in and mention that, definitely the best moment of a very good season

Mike F
09-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Louie is one of my favorite shows, and the stand-up bits are funny, but overall it's not a "funny" show, IMO.

Archer, as I mentioned in the other thread, definitely is funny. They've added a new 3 episode arc on to the 2nd season that started lat week.

fatso
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM
ya, even better than the 1st season!

Gundo
09-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Is it on TV anywhere or are we only able to get it online??

Cecil Terwilliger
09-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I do not believe it is available in Canada. It's on FX in the states I think.

TorqueDog
09-18-2011, 12:32 PM
In other words, you can get the show from the usual sources.

Actually, try the Modify Headers trick I posted in another thread (just Google 'Modify Headers Firefox') and try to watch the show on the FX website. It might work for you. It know it works with Unblock-Us.

holden
09-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Whats cool about the show is that Louie did a ballsy thing by making the second season so much more different, and darker than the first. Season 1 had alot more laughs as you went through, where as the second seasons episodes have more of a point of view on things. Just an awesome show.

The duck episode is great.

Barnes
09-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Whats cool about the show is that Louie did a ballsy thing by making the second season so much more different, and darker than the first. Season 1 had alot more laughs as you went through, where as the second seasons episodes have more of a point of view on things. Just an awesome show.

The duck episode is great.

I would say that FX are the ballsy ones in that they gave him a show and said do whatever the &@$% you want. No way any other network does that. Haven't seen the second season yet but glad to hear it's dark.

Engine09
09-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't know why anyone would choose to watch network sitcoms when a show like Louie is available. Brilliant stuff.

MrMastodonFarm
09-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't know why anyone would choose to watch network sitcoms when a show like Louie is available. Brilliant stuff.

You can do both.

Mike F
09-18-2011, 08:51 PM

It's not an either/or situation. I love Louie, Archer, Community, and Modern Family

Yasa
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
lol omg and the big bang theory and 2 and a half men are so awesome lol!!!

Mike F
09-18-2011, 09:19 PM
^^^

Not sure if you're joking or trying to provide proof of the accuracy of your sig :confused:

malcolmk14
09-18-2011, 09:22 PM

I watch Parks & Recreation, 30 Rock, Community, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory and The Office.

I also happen to watch and enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Louie.

For me it's not an either-or proposition. I certainly enjoy Curb and Louie more, but that doesn't preclude me from liking the network shows.

TorqueDog
09-18-2011, 09:44 PM
^^^

Not sure if you're joking or trying to provide proof of the accuracy of your sig :confused:Whoa whoa, hang on now. Maybe 2.5XY has gone down the tubes, but BBT will be forever amazing until Kaley Cuoco leaves the show.

I am REALLY liking the second season of Louie. Dark doesn't even begin to describe it. But it's good. Really good.

Hemi-Cuda
09-18-2011, 10:06 PM
i've tried watching this show and wanted to give it a real chance since Louie CK is one of my favorite comedians, but i just can't get into the uncomfortable humor scenarios. it's why i couldn't get into the Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm, and it seems to be the basis for most of Louie's show. i just can't force myself to laugh when the "punchlines" are characters looking at each other awkwardly

Yasa
09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
^^^

Not sure if you're joking or trying to provide proof of the accuracy of your sig :confused:

You can judge the seriousness of my posts when my grammar takes a dramatic head first plunge into "assault on the eyes" territory.

Sainters7
09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Man, I just can't find Louie anywhere. Don't have HBO, can't rent it, and somehow its impossible to torrent, at least for me. Dying to watch it, I'm a huge CK fan.

And since its come up in this thread, I just don't get the hype of Big Bang Theory. My gf and her sisters/mom are obsessed with it so I've seen a few. It's ok I guess, but pretty vanilla. I don't understand why its this popular.

J Diddy
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
I just finished season 1 on the weekend and I stuck with it hoping it would get better. It didn't IMO. CK is hilarious on his standup shows but I don't get his character on this show. When he is on stage he is funny and angry etc but when not on stage he is just a big loser. The show is more depressing than dark and funny. If I'm bored I'll check out season 2 and maybe I'll understand why it was up for an emmy.

cmyden
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Man, I just can't find Louie anywhere. Don't have HBO, can't rent it, and somehow its impossible to torrent, at least for me. Dying to watch it, I'm a huge CK fan.

PMed.

GreatWhiteEbola
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Great show this week, a bunch of cameos...
Most notable, this song!!!

z92bmlcmyq0

Is anyone going to check out Night Ranger in November?

The actual list of cameosRobin Williams, Artie Lange, J.B. Smoove, Opie and Anthony, among others that I might be forgetting or don't recognize.

To Be Quite Honest
08-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Great show this week, a bunch of cameos...
Most notable, this song!!!

z92bmlcmyq0

Is anyone going to check out Night Ranger in November?

The actual list of cameosRobin Williams, Artie Lange, J.B. Smoove, Opie and Anthony, among others that I might be forgetting or don't recognize.

It's been a great season so far!

sun
08-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Definitely the best comedy on TV right now, and it's not really even close.

malcolmk14
08-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Haven't been able to watch this week's episode yet... for some reason it's not available on my favorite websites.

AC
08-04-2012, 10:01 PM
The thread title's spelling mistake makes my eyes twitch.

Super-Rye
08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Took a while to figure out the flow of the show. But once I got into it I couldn't stop watching. The show is full of comedy gold.

Jayems
08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Watching because I love Louis from listening to O&A. Having a bit of trouble with the show. Perhaps I'm not getting some of the subtlety, because although I'm finding it funny, it's just not fully there for me yet. Hope that changes as I get a few more episodes in.

Red Slinger
08-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Really suprised with the depth of the non-funny stuff. Pretty depressing at parts.

I tuned in originally because Louie CK is my favorite comedian but stayed because of the really good stories, immature potty jokes, dark comedy and depth.

I've heard a few comedians say that their comedy comes from a dark place. "Louie" is a good example of that.

The sister in labour episode had me laughing until I cried.

Burninator
05-05-2014, 03:26 PM
New season starting tonight with two episodes and FX Canada is actually airing the new episodes.

AC
05-05-2014, 03:47 PM
The show's name being misspelled still drives me crazy.

AC
05-06-2014, 10:23 PM
It's fixed! Woohoo.

YYC in LAX
05-07-2014, 08:33 AM
I enjoyed the first two episodes. Great to see Jerry in there. I love this show...it just seems so sincere.

To Be Quite Honest
05-07-2014, 12:35 PM
I pissed my self with amount owed... Ah Louie.

sun
05-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Only watched the first episode so far, but man this show is so good. Long wait for this season, but it'll be worth it.

AC
05-26-2014, 11:55 PM
This show is legitimately brilliant.

For something that from the outside would appear to be a standard comedy of sorts is experimental and absurd at times. It's downright daring based on what Louis CK attempts.

Even the random TV news clips are hilarious and absurd.

"Hurricane Jasmine Forsythe hits Miami. Once again, we're reporting the sad death of Lebron James.... and the rest of the Miami Heat... and 12 million other people".

"A small bird died today. Due to sadness. He was six years old."

nik-
05-27-2014, 01:28 AM
So, I really like this show, but I have a hard time even considering it a comedy. So I'm not so sure about the funniest show on TV thing. This show is really dark. There's obviously a lot of Louis CK's black comedy style in it, but there is also some seriously heavy ####.

To Be Quite Honest
05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Louie is an intelligent dark and at many times black comedy and that's its brilliance. I don't remember watching a comedy with such dark tones be so successful. Like most shows, it would have a niche following but it is main stream.

The funniest show on TV comment was a callback to the league thread posted a month before this one. However, it is one of the best comedies, in my opinion. The Doctor, played by Charles Grodin (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001301/?ref_=tt_cl_t2), was halarious! The daughter conversation on the bench... The subway scene then the mother getting pissed at him! Ha ha ha so dark. The make out scene was so uncomfortable. Who wants to watch Louie make out or have the sex. I was laughing so hard. The dude is so lonely and his self esteem is so low that he chooses a woman that can't speak English and is going to leave him. It's brilliant show.

sun
05-27-2014, 09:38 PM
This show is legitimately brilliant.

For something that from the outside would appear to be a standard comedy of sorts is experimental and absurd at times. It's downright daring based on what Louis CK attempts.

Even the random TV news clips are hilarious and absurd.

"Hurricane Jasmine Forsythe hits Miami. Once again, we're reporting the sad death of Lebron James.... and the rest of the Miami Heat... and 12 million other people".

"A small bird died today. Due to sadness. He was six years old."

There was a good one in episode 4 when he was on hold on the phone:

"Take advantage of Brime Jorner Cable's newest deals, including free HBO for only $20/day and the sports package with none of your favourite sports. Here at Slime Dormer Cable, we know you have no choice in cable providers, so we appreciate your choosing us. Your hold time may be up to... seven... thousand... seconds."

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
05-30-2014, 08:16 AM
I've been trying to figure out how exactly to describe this show, which I've had a tough time doing when friends or family ask about it.

It seems like Louie is dabbling on both sides of reality - the reality we experience everyday as well as the reality that plays out inside our heads. For example, episode 7 where he and his ex are at that therapist (reality). He just gets up in the middle of the meeting, opens the window and screams out into the loud, humming drone of New York City (not reality).

I think that's what I like most about the show. What's typically contained in one's head and not outwardly shared, he adds to his show.

What I can't explain are things like the hobo bathing in the middle of the subway while another fellow plays the violin. Or when he's sitting on the park bench talking with his daughter and there's some passed out/dead guy laying on the grass behind them.

I applaud the long, uncut scenes. It takes some brilliant acting to be able to go on as long as they do in so many of these scenes. I can't remember what episode it is, but he and the "fat girl" are walking along the sea wall. That was a long long long scene and her big speech has stuck with me for days now.

Daps to Louie for actually making a show like this. It's one of a kind, at least on TV.

EverfresH15
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM
I haven't watched a lot of episodes but this one part gets me every time.

2D-PFdCup2E

Engine09
05-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Have been a big fan of his standup for some time, watched all of the Lucky Louie shows and every episode of Louie, best show on TV in my opinion.

As for funniest, Amy Schumer's show gets me laughing every week. The writing is so damn good and she's just funny as hell. I've rewatched episodes multiple times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Amy_Schumer

btimbit
05-31-2014, 09:34 AM
I actually didn't like the show much. Granted I've only seen season 1 and I'm told it gets better, but as a huge standup fan I dislike that his A material goes towards his show and his standup comedy has taken a nosedive

Ark2
06-09-2014, 06:40 PM
So on the advice and hype of this thread, I checked out the first season, and all I can say is wow...this show is terrible. First of all, to suggest that this series is "funny" let alone "the funniest show on TV right now" as the OP stated, is patently absurd. Not only is this show unfunny, but it doesn't even attempt to make the audience laugh. Take episode 9 of season 1, where Louis takes his date to a coffee shop and he is intimidated by some 18 year old punk. At no point in this entire episode is there a set-up for humour or even a humorous observation. It takes you through an uncomfortable situation and arrives at some ambiguous ending that, personally, did nothing for me.

Now, if that were the only episode that I had seen, I might think that it was an obligatory serious episode in an otherwise funny show, but every episode is like that. After watching the first 11 episodes (gave up with after that) I sum up the premise as follows: Comedian gives his mundane take on life while exploring themes repetitively (you literally hear portions of the exact same stand-up routine in multiple episodes) that end abruptly before arriving at any sort of point. Throw in some of the worst acting "on TV right now", and you've got Louie.

I get Louis C.K.'s appeal as a stand-up act for some people. He's the voice of the white guilt generation and that's cool and all, but this show sucks.

Erick Estrada
06-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Have been a big fan of his standup for some time, watched all of the Lucky Louie shows and every episode of Louie, best show on TV in my opinion.

As for funniest, Amy Schumer's show gets me laughing every week. The writing is so damn good and she's just funny as hell. I've rewatched episodes multiple times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Amy_Schumer

Amy Schumer will be a star one day. She's a real talent.

Erick Estrada
06-09-2014, 07:32 PM
I get Louis C.K.'s appeal as a stand-up act for some people. He's the voice of the white guilt generation and that's cool and all, but this show sucks.

I think it's a good show although not laugh out loud funny. It's surprisingly clever but I could see how some people may not get it as it is dark at times.

Mike F
06-09-2014, 08:57 PM
So on the advice and hype of this thread, I checked out the first season, and all I can say is wow...this show is terrible. First of all, to suggest that this series is "funny" let alone "the funniest show on TV right now" as the OP stated, is patently absurd. Not only is this show unfunny, but it doesn't even attempt to make the audience laugh.

I have to agree with this. I've enjoyed the seasons up to the current, but not as comedies. Most of the episodes can't even be chalked up a dark comedy. They're usually morose character studies.

However, this season has been completely unenjoyable, IMO. What possessed Louie to take a dialogue based show and have most of the season focus on a relationship where communication was impossible completely escapes me. Every scene with Louie and Amia was torturously boring.

Would no longer recommend.

Brannigans Law
06-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Amy Schumer will be a star one day. She's a real talent.

I would let her poop on me.

To Be Quite Honest
06-11-2014, 04:45 PM
I have to agree with this. I've enjoyed the seasons up to the current, but not as comedies. Most of the episodes can't even be chalked up a dark comedy. They're usually morose character studies.

However, this season has been completely unenjoyable, IMO. What possessed Louie to take a dialogue based show and have most of the season focus on a relationship where communication was impossible completely escapes me. Every scene with Louie and Amia was torturously boring.

Would no longer recommend.

I have a different perspective of the show, but I would agree that he is drifting away from funny in any flavor the last bit. I still enjoy the show, but he is not following his own set format. For example, there has been no stand up to relate or set up the experience. He really should be shooting these episodes as a separate entity and stick to his own set format for Louie. It is confusing and frustrating to the fans of the show.

AcGold
06-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I love the show exactly for what it is, I can talk to somebody about it and generally they are interested and it brings a smile to peoples face to hear the stories he tells. It's so good because it's realistic stories told with great lenses and awsome music that is true to its source material and doesn't follow the hacky formulaic this guy eats a lot of food, that girl likes to shop too much this girl is the quirky one etc. It's biggest strength is having no formula besides good music and good pacing. Sometimes it's a little dark but more often than not manages to keep me interested.

sun
06-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Still the best show on TV. Pretty surprised to see negative comments in here TBH. Anyone looking for a "comedy" should look elsewhere, even though there are hysterical moments. I hear big bang theory and modern family are funny.

J Diddy
06-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Just finished all 4 seasons and I don't get the love for this show. I'll stick to his stand up specials. I have a hard time seeing the difference between the character Ben Stiller played in Meet The Parents and the "character" Louie CK plays in Louie. Both equally painful to watch.

Yamer
06-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Into the first couple of episodes of the third season, and only about 1/4 of the episodes so far have been enjoyable. There are some brilliant moments in this show, but mostly I find myself powering through most of the content to get to something good.

I like his stand-up, but can't get into this show at all. Maybe just not my flavor, but I too cannot comprehend the praise this show receives.

Hanna Sniper
06-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Still the best show on TV. Pretty surprised to see negative comments in here TBH. Anyone looking for a "comedy" should look elsewhere, even though there are hysterical moments. I hear big bang theory and modern family are funny.God forbid someone to expect comedy from one of the best comedians in the world today

Don't look down on the word comedy, show it a little more respect if you think comedy is only big bang theory sitcom type shows

AcGold
06-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Just finished all 4 seasons and I don't get the love for this show. I'll stick to his stand up specials. I have a hard time seeing the difference between the character Ben Stiller played in Meet The Parents and the "character" Louie CK plays in Louie. Both equally painful to watch.

That makes a lot of sense. I really liked the show for how imaginative it was, how well it was shot and the awesome music. His character he plays is a little weird and I don't like how it's getting darker and more depressing but still it's a good show in my opinion.

sun
06-28-2014, 11:18 PM
God forbid someone to expect comedy from one of the best comedians in the world today

Don't look down on the word comedy, show it a little more respect if you think comedy is only big bang theory sitcom type shows

Huh? I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this, because I don't get what you're trying to say.

Yes, you should expect comedy from a comedian. But you're likely going to be disappointed in this case (especially as it goes on), hence you should probably look elsewhere, which is what I suggested. You don't think it's reasonable to tell people to look elsewhere for laughs if they're not finding any?

I think this show is hysterical at times, but I would hesitate to define it as a comedy. Are we arguing about the definition of "comedy" or what? I don't look down at comedy at all. I love comedy. I don't think I get your point.

To Be Quite Honest
06-01-2015, 01:17 AM
The fifth season of Louie is done. Unfortunately there was only half of a season, but there is a pretty funny story behind it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/louies-fifth-season-was-short-because-louis-ck-got-220131

As usual, I really enjoyed this season and laughed a lot. There were some great episodes with him having a sleepover for his youngest daughter and a two-part of Louie on the road. Great show, but I'm sad I have to wait another year yet again...

Derek Sutton
06-01-2015, 08:23 PM
The finale was great, Jim Florentine stole the show. "Stay where you are, I'll just take an upper decker."