PDA

View Full Version : Calgary's New Condo's & Pre Sales

Travis Munroe
09-13-2011, 02:02 PM
This will be the official thread for all new condo development with as much information as I can grab. If you are interested in a specific building then please let me know and I can get more information. I can also assist you if you are interested in purchasing a new unit.

St Johns on 10th

Possession scheduled for fall of 2013
205, 208, 506 and 508 are spoken for.
Visit http://www.stjohnstenthst.com/what-were-building/floor-plans for floorplans
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9483/viewerr.png

The Guardian (ArriVa tower 2)

Full website coming soon but gives you an idea of the project
http://www.theguardiancalgary.com/

University City

Building 2

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1539/unledhvd.jpg

Building 3 - set to be all 2 bedrooms and much shorter than building 1 and 2.

Registration @ http://www.universitycity.ca/ - going on sale in a couple weeks I believe.

Nuera

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/251/nuera1.png
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7804/nuera2.png

Alura
Pre sale on October 1st
http://www.aluracondos.ca/

bomba
09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Call me crazy but the price/sq foot for those University City condos seems way too high given the quality of build that condo will be and where it is situated. For the same $/sqft you could get one of those high quality condos right downtown!

Travis Munroe
09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I agree. The demand they had with lineups around the block most likely plays a role. That and the almost guaranteed 0% vacancy you would have renting it.

Bigtime
09-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow, I never really looked at the University City pricing, those are some pretty high square footage prices. All the more power to them if they keep selling at that level.

ranchlandsselling
09-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Wow, I never really looked at the University City pricing, those are some pretty high square footage prices. All the more power to them if they keep selling at that level.

Yeah, nothing like thinking you overpaid for your place in late 2007 and then realizing you're in a much bigger place, with a backyard, double car attached garage, great view, 3 stories, at less than half the price per square foot. SHEESH!

TurnedTheCorner
09-14-2011, 08:44 PM
The square footage in those first two buildings are crazy. A ~700 sq.f, 2 bedroom? Holy can of sardines.

Thanks for showing the pricing, I had poked around on the website but wasn't interested enough to register.

Any detailed pricing for St. John's 10th Street (http://www.stjohnstenthst.com/)?

Sliver
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't know, I can see value in paying a little more per SF for University City. That place will be like ###### Mountain.

ranchlandsselling
09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't know, I can see value in paying a little more per SF for University City. That place will be like ###### Mountain.

I tried a similar argument when in discussions regarding buying a downtown high rise building. . . Fortunately everyone knew i was kidding or I'd have been laughed out of the room and likely my job.

Bigtime
09-20-2011, 03:58 PM

"This goes for the guys, too. Because sometimes the guys are tapped out. But check your lease, man. Because you're living in f*&k city."

Bigtime
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Batistella should be starting to market their latest project "Pixel" in Kensington soon:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DSqEUubDb1E/Tnq3DWToqLI/AAAAAAAAC3I/ukCsIQ_IIO0/s640/Pixel%2525209a%252520Street.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dfVGVDcULk8/Tnq3MAZvclI/AAAAAAAAC3U/6-RJr5nUEa8/s640/Pixel%2525202%252520Ave.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3Qhne87nr7w/Tnq3LiyGm8I/AAAAAAAAC3M/5cwhUtHRKuI/s640/Pixel%252520alley.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TZDUh_RqfGE/Tnq3Lwe3qyI/AAAAAAAAC3Q/DvRYPGrqrK8/s640/Pixel%252520townhomes.jpg

It is located on 2nd avenue and 9A street in Hillhurst, adjacent to the LRT corridor.

Sliver
09-22-2011, 10:09 AM
I wonder if they had to Photoshop the bottle collectors/bums out of that rendering?

Bigtime
09-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I wonder if they had to Photoshop the bottle collectors/bums out of that rendering?

That is the Beltline, not Kensington... ;)

Winsor_Pilates
09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
That is the Beltline, not Kensington... ;)
That is Bridgeland, not Beltline ;)

bomba
09-23-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.universitycity.ca/index.php?option=com_wcmailer&ctrl=archive&task=view&mailid=19&key=c6be811f056f57bcce754638943ab798

Sorry on my phone right now. Maybe you can repost the picture.

Travis Munroe
09-23-2011, 11:50 AM
^^ pic not working for me!

bomba
09-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Not for me but someone on here might be interested

Travis Munroe
09-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for this bomba

http://www.universitycity.ca/uploads/newsletter/pre-registration-friday.jpg

bomba
09-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Does anyone happen to have pricing for the condos at St. Johns on Tenth?

http://www.stjohnstenthst.com/where-we-are

Travis Munroe
09-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Ill have it for you this afternoon. I know I said I would look into it before but forgot after being tied up on something else. Sorry!

Travis Munroe
09-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I called 5 times today and left a voice mail. Hopefully they get back to me soon!

bomba
09-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Another FYI for the forum folks:

--------------------

ANNOUNCEMENT OF A SPECIAL OFFER
For You, Your Family and Friends!

We only have a few units left at Varsity Landing and we want to present you with a special offer.

We will give you $2000 if a friend or family member purchases a home at Varsity Landing. In addition, we will give your friend or family member six months free condo fees!

Simply register your friend or family member with our Sales Centre, and if they buy a home by October 31, 2011, our lawyers will send you a cheque for $2000 when they close. It's that simple!

SALES CENTRE:
3950 – 46th Avenue N.W.
(403) 452-2729

SALES REPRESENTATIVES:

John:
Phone ~ (403) 837-1464
E-Mail ~ oconnorj@carlislegroup.ca

Scarlette:
Phone ~ (403) 660-3249
E-Mail ~ scarlettec@carlislegroup.ca

Travis Munroe
09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Bomba, they have still not got back to me. If you wanted, I could take you down to see any show suites they have sometime! Should get a quicker response that way lol!

Winsor_Pilates
09-27-2011, 11:42 PM

--------------------

ANNOUNCEMENT OF A SPECIAL OFFER
For You, Your Family and Friends!

We only have a few units left at Varsity Landing and we want to present you with a special offer.

We will give you $2000 if a friend or family member purchases a home at Varsity Landing. In addition, we will give your friend or family member six months free condo fees!

If you would sell your family and friends into Pointe of View for $2000, you are a bad family or friend.

Bigtime
09-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Isn't Varsity Landing a seniors community? At least I think the first few phases are.

Bigtime
09-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Bomba, they have still not got back to me. If you wanted, I could take you down to see any show suites they have sometime! Should get a quicker response that way lol!

I don't think St. Johns on 10th has any show suites, just the small sales centre on 10th street across from the project. I think they may have mocked it up slightly with some of the decor options, but that is about it.

Travis Munroe
09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Bomba, finally heard back from them, I updated the original post with pricing!!!

Winsor_Pilates
10-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Went to Alura (Nuera 2) grand opening today. Very, Very busy and incredible pricing for the area.
Only 4 different floor plans and all homes with storage and parking. 1 beds started from $188,000.
2 beds seems to be from around $308,000.

I'm sure they sold plenty of homes in this opening day, as buyers/investors were lined up to put down a $1000 deposit and reserve a home.

Jing
10-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Went to Alura (Nuera 2) grand opening today. Very, Very busy and incredible pricing for the area.
Only 4 different floor plans and all homes with storage and parking. 1 beds started from $188,000.

I'm sure they sold plenty of homes in this opening day, as buyers/investors were lined up to put down a $1000 deposit and reserve a home.

Wow those prices are quite low considering the location.

Fueled By Fire
10-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Has anyone had any experiences with the builder?

Winsor_Pilates
10-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Has anyone had any experiences with the builder?
Yeah, I own in Nuera 1 and have been into all 3 of Sasso, Vetro and Nuera. Impressed by all of them, one of my favorite builders in Calgary.
I'd happily recommend my clients to buy in their buildings.

The only thing I'm hesitant on is that they were taking a non-refundable $1000 deposit, with the actual contract and details to be handled later.

A funny way of doings things as you usually are entitled to a 10 day right of rescission where you'd get any deposits back. I'm not sure how they've got around this.
Also, they're not giving full details on the finishings and I'm wondering what they'll try and sell as upgrades when the actual contract is finalized. What will that do to the price, and what's the quality of the basic package?
I'm guessing it's stripped down from Nuera 1.

Bigtime
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
So it appears as though Alura and Keynote II have all had some strong initial sales showings, I wonder if this will put the squeeze on projects like the Guardian and not allow them to get up and running as fast as they'd like?

Winsor_Pilates
10-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Depends how much demand is out there.
I think we've hit a point where completed supply in the Beltline is very low, especially 1 bedrooms.

If you're looking at 1 bedroom in all of the major completed buildings you'll find about 5 one bed listings available in total between Nuera, Sasso, Vetro, Montana, Keynote, Nova, Stella, Luna, Colors, Chocolate, Union Square.

From what I can tell when I was at Alura (Nuera 2), and what I experienced when I managed Drake, is that the demand for good 1 beds is really high in the area. Drake only has 1 left that's over 550 sq feet now too.

Bigtime
10-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Pixel by Batistella goes on sale tomorrow from 10-5 at their show centre on Kensington road.

bizaro86
10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Pixel by Batistella goes on sale tomorrow from 10-5 at their show centre on Kensington road.

Any idea on pricing?

bomba
10-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Any idea on pricing?

http://pixelcondos.ca/

Battistella Developments has officially arrived in Kensington! Visit us this weekend for our GRAND OPENING of PIXEL by Battistella.

Where: PIXEL Sales Centre, 1120 Kensington Road NW, Calgary, AB
When: Saturday & Sunday October 8th/9th, 11am - 5pm

Important things to know:

Viewing of the Sales Centre is on a first come first serve basis. Sorry no appointments are available.
To ensure that you receive the level of service you deserve, viewing of the sales centre must be accompanied by a friendly Battistella representative.
In the event that all the sales associates are busy we will put your name on a waiting list to maintain your priority sequence until the next representative is available.
We require a $5000 deposit to purchase a unit, with a 10% deposit (less $5000) on or within 10 days from purchasing. Please bring a personal cheque with you, as without one we will not be able to hold a unit.

There are many plans to choose from! To give you an idea Studios start at $200,000, 1 Bedrooms at $340,000, 2 Bedrooms at $440,000, and Townhomes at $400,000.
See you soon!
PIXEL by Battistella Sales Team
1120 Kensington Road NW
403.290.1664 (tel:403.290.1664)
pixelcondos.ca (http://pixelcondos.ca/)
Sales Centre Hours: Tues-Fri 10am-6pm, Sat/Sun 11am-5pm

Travis Munroe
10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
An email that just came in:

"With sales of over 150 homes in ALURA in only 13 days, prices like this
couldn't last forever. As expected, Cove Properties has announced a price
increase on Monday October 17. Don't wait any longer to buy and get the
current reduced prices. Come visit us at the ALURA Discvery Centre this
weekend!

BELOW MARKET PRICING is still in place for our new ALURA high rise tower,
which is our 4th and final tower at Stampede Station, the new heart of urban
living in Calgary. Cove has built over 750 homes to-date in downtown
Calgary, which has earned us a reputation as Calgary's Highrise Experts.

We still have some great suites still left at unbelievably good prices. You
can still be one of the first to purchase a unit in this exciting new
development in an unparalleled downtown location, at prices that we haven't
seen in Calgary in a long time (ALURA 2 Bedroom Sky Suites are starting at
an unbelievable $311,800!!)

Don't wait and regret missing out on this extraordinary opportunity!

If you have any questions about Calgary's best priced highrise, please
contact the Alura Sales Team. We look forward to seeing you this weekend!"

rd_aaron
10-18-2011, 03:53 PM
An email that just came in:

"With sales of over 150 homes in ALURA in only 13 days, prices like this
couldn't last forever. As expected, Cove Properties has announced a price
increase on Monday October 17. Don't wait any longer to buy and get the
current reduced prices. Come visit us at the ALURA Discvery Centre this
weekend!

BELOW MARKET PRICING is still in place for our new ALURA high rise tower,
which is our 4th and final tower at Stampede Station, the new heart of urban
living in Calgary. Cove has built over 750 homes to-date in downtown
Calgary, which has earned us a reputation as Calgary's Highrise Experts.

We still have some great suites still left at unbelievably good prices. You
can still be one of the first to purchase a unit in this exciting new
development in an unparalleled downtown location, at prices that we haven't
seen in Calgary in a long time (ALURA 2 Bedroom Sky Suites are starting at
an unbelievable $311,800!!)

Don't wait and regret missing out on this extraordinary opportunity!

If you have any questions about Calgary's best priced highrise, please
contact the Alura Sales Team. We look forward to seeing you this weekend!"

After googling "Alura" to find their website, I learned that Alura is also a female sexual enhancement cream.

Winsor_Pilates
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
After googling "Alura" to find their website, I learned that Alura is also a female sexual enhancement cream.
Have you decided which Alura you're going to buy?:D

Bigtime
10-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Battistella was reporting on Twitter yesterday that they have sold 25% of Pixel so far.

rsyee
10-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Battistella was reporting on Twitter yesterday that they have sold 25% of Pixel so far.

Is that fast for how long they have been open?

Bigtime
10-26-2011, 06:48 AM
I think they've been open about 2-3 weeks now, probably not as fast as some other projects have been selling (University City, St. Johns on 10th), but it is Battistella and they have a consistent record of actually building what they start selling (Orange Lofts, Chocolate, Colours, Brunette).

bomba
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I think they've been open about 2-3 weeks now, probably not as fast as some other projects have been selling (University City, St. Johns on 10th), but it is Battistella and they have a consistent record of actually building what they start selling (Orange Lofts, Chocolate, Colours, Brunette).

It seems to me that the price points are also fairly high so you aren't going to have people coming in droves like University City... more of a niche buyer.

JMN
11-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Anyone else look into the Alura condos? I'm thinking of purchasing a podium level (2nd floor) unit but am concerned about the noise level. Does anyone live along MacLeod Trail and can give any advice on this issue? I'm interested in their podium level units because the layout I'm interested in is only available on this floor.

What is better for resale, smaller unit on a higher level (floor 8) or a unit that is 150 sqft. larger with a better layout and higher ceilings but is on the 2nd floor?

Bigtime
11-02-2011, 07:02 AM
I can't speak for a 2nd floor unit, but when I was on the 26th floor of arriVa you would still hear buses, ambulances, police, fire. I guess it really all comes down to the soundproofing that they put in the unit.

rd_aaron
11-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I can't speak for a 2nd floor unit, but when I was on the 26th floor of arriVa you would still hear buses, ambulances, police, fire. I guess it really all comes down to the soundproofing that they put in the unit.

I live pretty high up along MacLeod and if the bedroom window is open, any siren will wake me up. It's relatively quiet with the windows closed though.

If you're facing MacLeod with the 2nd floor unit, you'll probably get a decent amount of noise, although the ATB building is sort of blocking some of it. If you're facing 1st St SE I think you'll get quite a bit of noise as well.

bomba
11-02-2011, 10:18 AM
What is better for resale, smaller unit on a higher level (floor 8) or a unit that is 150 sqft. larger with a better layout and higher ceilings but is on the 2nd floor?

This is just my opinion, but I think that being at a higher floor would be better for resale. People that are living downtown would seemingly want to pay extra for a high floor that has spectacular views of the buildings in the core. Best suggestion would be to check out buildings around your building that are completed and get a realtor like Reator 1 (nice plug, huh? :) ) to pull comps on different floors in a given building to get a realtive idea of price differentials.

JMN
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
This is just my opinion, but I think that being at a higher floor would be better for resale. People that are living downtown would seemingly want to pay extra for a high floor that has spectacular views of the buildings in the core. Best suggestion would be to check out buildings around your building that are completed and get a realtor like Reator 1 (nice plug, huh? :) ) to pull comps on different floors in a given building to get a realtive idea of price differentials.

I was hoping you'd say the opposite. haha I'm trying to justify the purchase of the second floor unit since it's bigger but the same price as a smaller higher floor. The plug was great :D I'll definitely give him a PM.

Thanks for the advice and opinions everybody!

rd_aaron
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM

I think you're looking at roughly $3k or more per floor for the exact same unit. So a unit on the 2nd floor selling for $300,000 might be $330,000 or more on the 12th floor.

JMN
11-02-2011, 12:29 PM
The second floor is going at approx. $350/sqft for 1020 sqft. vs 12th floor is approx. $408/sqft for 875 sqft. The end price is the same @ $360k, but its a battle of a higher level vs bigger space.

Bigtime
11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
I have always been of the personal opinion that if you are going to live in a tower you might as well get as high up as you can. Plenty of low/mid-rise options out there if you like living lower to the ground.

Travis Munroe
11-02-2011, 02:12 PM
IMO it depends on the view. If there is no view from the 12th (other than into another building) then there is not much of a reason to purchase it when a larger more practical layout is available for the same price but lower.
+ When the fire alarm goes off by accident as it always seems to in my building, you will only have 1 flight to go down!

JMN
11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks again everyone! Travis, I'll definitely be sending you a message soon.

Bigtime
11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
+ When the fire alarm goes off by accident as it always seems to in my building, you will only have 1 flight to go down!

No worries there, arriVa had two fire alarms. A steady 1 beep a second and you were to just stay in your unit, if the frequency increased that was the call to evacuate the building. Plus every unit had a speaker so that security/fire department could keep you informed of what was going on.

Of course many residents didn't bother learning about this and all ended up downstairs during false alarms. Suckers... :D

Travis Munroe
11-02-2011, 03:25 PM
^^^ lol the luxury of arriva. I just get the worlds most annoying sound at 2am.
The best was on fire alarm testing day I just unplugged the alarm in my home office so I could make some calls. Had some lady come into my condo without knocking and scare the hell out of me by giving my sh** for un plugging during testing.

bomba
11-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Would anyone be able to rattle off a quick list of Mid-rise condo developments that are either nearing completion or are still are in pre-sales?

I'm thinking like Pixel and The Block...

Bigtime
11-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Pixel, St. Johns on 10th, MacPherson Place. That's all that is popping into my head right now.

rsyee
11-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Anyone check out Calla condos by qualex landmark? I went to pixel and liked the ones they had there but just heard of calla and was wondering if anyone checked it out yet.

Winsor_Pilates
11-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Anyone check out Calla condos by qualex landmark? I went to pixel and liked the ones they had there but just heard of calla and was wondering if anyone checked it out yet.
My client\brother who is also a CP member bought there. Always a fan of Qualex Landmark, never been a fan of Batistella. Quality isnt even close IMO.

bomba
11-27-2011, 05:51 PM

I went to check out Calla last week and it looks like a really nice development.

What I noticed between Pixel and Calla is that it seems to me the 2 bedrooms are better priced at Pixel and 1 bedrooms better priced at Calla. If you look at the sold units chart at both developments you'll see that Pixel has sold out of most of its 2 bedrooms and Calla most of its 1 bedrooms so IMO its what you're in the market for in terms of space. Also, do you prefer to be in Kensington or the Beltline?

The interior finishings to me seemed fairly similar for the most part.

rsyee
11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Interesting... I was leaning towards a 1 bedroom plus den at pixel bit i guess ill check out calla before i decide. Id prefer to live in kensington than beltline.

bomba
11-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Interesting... I was leaning towards a 1 bedroom plus den at pixel bit i guess ill check out calla before i decide. Id prefer to live in kensington than beltline.

Ultimately that was my decision too - rather be in Kensington than the Beltline so I got a 2 bedroom at Pixel.

Fueled By Fire
11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Anyone have any opinions on the 2nd Keynote building?

Travis Munroe
11-27-2011, 09:15 PM
^^ you should get a pretty good response as I recall a few cp ers owning in keynote 1.

rsyee
11-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Ultimately that was my decision too - rather be in Kensington than the Beltline so I got a 2 bedroom at Pixel.

Which unit did you get, if you dont mind me asking?

bomba
11-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Which unit did you get, if you dont mind me asking?

sent you PM

rd_aaron
12-01-2011, 09:44 AM

It's almost all 1 bedrooms (only one 2 bed floorplan I think?). Slightly better finishings than Keynote 1 I think. I like the layout of some of the 1 bedrooms a little better.

Fueled By Fire
12-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Avi has some floor plans out now for their development on 17th

http://liveattheblock.com/plans/

Travis Munroe
12-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Avi has some floor plans out now for their development on 17th

http://liveattheblock.com/plans/

I love how they try to sell "wood frame" over concrete on everyone.

Using safety as one of their key points....pretty sure concrete is a bit safer.

bizaro86
12-07-2011, 02:59 PM

Pretty sure the big advantage there should be, "We pass on our lower construction costs to you"

Travis Munroe
12-07-2011, 03:05 PM
agreed,
Similar to "The Guardian"s marketing campaign.

Bigtime
12-08-2011, 07:32 AM

If they are utilizing some of the newer technology available in wood products it could be equivalent or even superior to concrete for fire suppression. Those materials however come with a large cost, so I doubt that they would be used through all of the construction.

Just build it well, get your fire suppression systems in place and if you are a purchaser make sure you have a proper evacuation plan in the event of a fire.

When I was in a 4 floor wood frame in the Bridges I had one of those rolled up aluminum ladders. Just get onto the balcony (or bust open a window) and hook it over the rail/window sill and down you go.

The soundproofing was actually quite good in the condo (built by Bucci), only noticed a little noise below from that neighbours dog. The sound proofing on the adjacent units on either side was excellent, never heard a thing.

Travis Munroe
12-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Nice to hear, thats always a first warning I give to buyers on wood frame places.
Me- "Do you like to entertain?"
Client- "Yes, all the time"
Me- "We might want to look into a concrete building."

Sheva #7
12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I am thinking of getting 1 bedroom condo with Den at Pixel..anyone have any thoughts/feedback about that?

Also, is it just me or are there a lot of hippies in Kensington? :)

Travis Munroe
12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
I am thinking of getting 1 bedroom condo with Den at Pixel..anyone have any thoughts/feedback about that?

lol, i was with a buddy last week who just moved to Kensington. He already calls it "Hippyville".
If that is the biggest complaint about an area then I think it is doing pretty well!

Bigtime
12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Pixel is in Sunnyside, Hillhurst is on the west side of 10th street. Kensington is just the name for the shopping district primarily made up of 10th and Kensington road.

/community name nerd

Pixel is an awesome location, right next to the Sunnyside station (perfect for catching the train the dome) and just as close to Safeway (very convenient).

Sheva #7
12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah it does seem like a nice location but what about the noise from the train? Anyone who bought a place there has any concerns about that? It seems like the train is really close to the proposed buliding so I'm not sure how loud it's gonna get...

Bigtime
12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah it does seem like a nice location but what about the noise from the train? Anyone who bought a place there has any concerns about that? It seems like the train is really close to the proposed building so I'm not sure how loud it's gonna get...

Give it a week or two and you won't even notice a noise like that.

Fueled By Fire
12-29-2011, 05:12 PM
The Guardian has their floorplans up now:

http://theguardiancalgary.com/views-floorplans/floorplans/

I-Hate-Hulse
12-31-2011, 11:37 AM

That's part of the area's charm. Embrace it. You want crackheads, goto 17th Ave. You want self absorbed pretend rich folk, Aspen. Self absorbed actually rich people, Elbow Park. ;)

I'll take my latte sipping, nunchuk wielding stoners outside the Roasterie thanks.

Bigtime
12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
The Guardian has their floorplans up now:

http://theguardiancalgary.com/views-floorplans/floorplans/

I have to say those are some very well designed units. Even the smallest one is laid out to give maximum living space. I hope this project can secure enough sales to start up and bring some more residents to east Beltline.

Sheva #7
01-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Pixel by Batistella had their ground breaking day today. Looks like the construction is starting up soon, can't wait!

burn_this_city
01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah it does seem like a nice location but what about the noise from the train? Anyone who bought a place there has any concerns about that? It seems like the train is really close to the proposed buliding so I'm not sure how loud it's gonna get...

You won't hear the C-Train. I lived in London at Heritage and we even got used to the sound of the freight trains.

Kavvy
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
You won't hear the C-Train. I lived in London at Heritage and we even got used to the sound of the freight trains.

How do you like it there? I work nearby and thinking about renting there, would you recommend it?

Travis Munroe
01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
How do you like it there? I work nearby and thinking about renting there, would you recommend it?

He said lived so I am not sure if he is still there.
My experiences from showing in that building were not great. Location is pretty good and the north facing views if high enough are good but they had that "cheap" feel to them vs the pricing and some other options. Most of the floor plans are quite small IIRC

burn_this_city
01-21-2012, 04:56 PM
I liked it, the construction wasn't terrible, but definitely boom quality. I had the 900ish sqft 1 bed room. I wouldn't buy there, but I would live there again.

Fueled By Fire
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
The Guardian has some pricing up on their site.

1 bedroom suites start at $150,000 without parking.
1 bedroom suites start at $225,900 with 1 parking stall.
2 bedroom suties start at $308,900 with 1 parking stall.

JMN
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Nice pricing, looks similar to the pricing at Alura. I like the floor plans at The Guardian too.

Fueled By Fire
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Nice pricing, looks similar to the pricing at Alura. I like the floor plans at The Guardian too.

Curious to see what the standard finishings will be though. Nothing has been posted to date on their website.

iginlaforprimeminister
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Anyone here of the new condos Tribeca in Mission by the Bucci group or any more details on it?

Bigtime
02-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Tribeca website here: http://bucci.com/residential/now-selling/tribeca/home/

It is going into the open field directly east of the "pit" in Mission.

Pizza
02-17-2012, 02:39 AM

Seconded.

I'm looking into getting something there too

rd_aaron
02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Seconded.

I'm looking into getting something there too

I lived in Keynote 1 for almost 2 years. Keynote 2 is going to be fairly similar. What would you like to know?

IllAtEase
03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Hey guys, first post here.
What do you make of the inner city new builds pricing there units way above newer existing units of similar specs? I'm looking at a 1bed+den 1bath at calla and comparing to similar units at nova and the price difference is around 30k.
Also can aanyone provide some opinions on calla's pricing, location and the developer?

Winsor_Pilates
03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
When Calla was first selilng, there 1 beds were a lot cheeper than ready built options. Since they've sold well, its likely they've raised prices which is why they seem 30K higher then Nova now.
Calla will be newer and slightly higher spec than Nova(ie, air conditioning). Both are the same developer, Qualex Landmark who I rate quite highly.

Jiggyiggy
04-12-2012, 08:44 AM
So of the new developments going up, which one do you think is the best value for a one bedroom unit. I am looking to spend in the 200's and hopefully around 250.

I know there is a lot to pick from as there are lots of developments on the go.

Any new info would be awesome, and your opinions are greatly appreciated

Travis Munroe
04-12-2012, 09:46 AM
There really is no formula to give you a straight answer. If you plan on living at the condo, choose something you are going to like coming home to.

rsyee
05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Pixel stating they are 65% sold, Callah 80% and Drake 70%.

anyone have any more updates? St Johns sold out yet?

Jing
05-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Any opinions on Waterfront? I know someone who lives there and the quality seems top notch. I really like the location (proximity to work and right along the river), is there anything I should pay special attention too that is unique to the location (ie high water table)?

JMN
05-29-2012, 09:57 PM
So of the new developments going up, which one do you think is the best value for a one bedroom unit. I am looking to spend in the 200's and hopefully around 250.

I know there is a lot to pick from as there are lots of developments on the go.

Any new info would be awesome, and your opinions are greatly appreciated

You can check out the latest development, Vogue (www.liveinvogue.com). 10th floor one-bedroom 552sqft for 236k.

bizaro86
05-30-2012, 08:29 AM
You can check out the latest development, Vogue (www.liveinvogue.com (http://www.liveinvogue.com)). 10th floor one-bedroom 552sqft for 236k.

Where did you get the pricing, I couldn't find it on their website? Link by any chance?

normtwofinger
05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Any opinions on Waterfront? I know someone who lives there and the quality seems top notch. I really like the location (proximity to work and right along the river), is there anything I should pay special attention too that is unique to the location (ie high water table)?

Only that they planned as they built. Unit layouts were redone several times during construction, causing a lot of framing and drywall patch work. May cause cracking issues later on.

JMN
05-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Where did you get the pricing, I couldn't find it on their website? Link by any chance?

The pricing was taken from a guy on another forum that went to the VIP presale.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Sugarphreak/Public%20Albums/Beyond/VOGUEPRICING_page2_image1.jpg

ludetuner
05-30-2012, 11:12 PM
I am new to the Calgary pre-con market (have investments in the Toronto market) and would like someone to shed some light on the "bond" required by some developers as a downpayment structure. For instance, if a builder has a pricing structure set at 5% plus a 10% bond, do I need to have the 10% funds available in cash or is it based on income and assets?

Travis Munroe
05-31-2012, 12:42 AM
feel free to pm either myself or Kristi (sponsored mortgage specialist) as we went through this on the east village complex if you require further information however you only need the 5%. A letter from your bank stating you can afford the property is usually sufficient as the "bond".

eden
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Does anyone have any information on the condos being built in Quarry Park near the river? I know some are being built right now, but other than that I don't know much about them. Any information would be appreciated.

NuclearFart
07-31-2012, 08:34 PM
What's going on with The Guardian? There hasn't been a single worker doing construction on it for at least 6 weeks now, and its just stayed a giant slab of ground level cement with 10 foot pillars and exposed rebar. Now all that open air rebar has started to rust leaving brown streaks all over the concrete, and it looks absolutely awful.

Bigtime
08-01-2012, 07:41 AM
What's going on with The Guardian? There hasn't been a single worker doing construction on it for at least 6 weeks now, and its just stayed a giant slab of ground level cement with 10 foot pillars and exposed rebar. Now all that open air rebar has started to rust leaving brown streaks all over the concrete, and it looks absolutely awful.

Umm, it's been like that since it was arriVa 42 and stalled out over 2 years ago. I tweeted Guardian a few weeks back and they were planning to start construction this fall.

Guardian had workers on site to clean up the area, work on the sales centre and take care of some other stuff. Nothing has started on the tower proper.

Arkansus
08-13-2012, 09:31 PM
How does purchasing at First compare to buying in Vic park like at SASSO, Vetro, Nuera or Arriva.

Im new to the city and have been looking at places downtown. They are all fairly nice inside, some have slightly better layouts than others. But im mostly concerned about personal safety, taking the train to work everyday. I was driving around on Saturday night and there were tons of cops infront of the Vetro. Driving around the east village seemed to be either dead or fully of shady characters in dark alleys. lol.

Id really like to be able to walk around at night, without the fear of being robbed or something.

Bigtime
08-14-2012, 09:18 AM
How does purchasing at First compare to buying in Vic park like at SASSO, Vetro, Nuera or Arriva.

Im new to the city and have been looking at places downtown. They are all fairly nice inside, some have slightly better layouts than others. But im mostly concerned about personal safety, taking the train to work everyday. I was driving around on Saturday night and there were tons of cops infront of the Vetro. Driving around the east village seemed to be either dead or fully of shady characters in dark alleys. lol.

Id really like to be able to walk around at night, without the fear of being robbed or something.

I lived in arriVa for 3 years and never had any issues. Vetro is right next door to the Alpha House, so that probably explains all the cops you saw in front one night. I have a friend in Vetro for the last couple of years and he's had no problems.

East Village is empty (pretty much), it will be years until we see how it will evolve. However the steps taken with redevelopment like Riverwalk are making it a much more open and safe space.

You could be "robbed or something" anywhere in the city, I guess it just comes down to street smarts and a little luck. Plus with our crime rate it really isn't something that I would be too concerned about.

Bigtime
08-29-2012, 08:20 AM
New info is that the Guardian will start construction this fall, should be applying for their building permit shortly.

Human Torch
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Anyone have any more impressions of Calla? Location seems nice.

Mayo
10-16-2012, 05:38 PM

If you want a "nicer neighbourhood" look at Luna in Connaught. Surrounded by other condos, a Co-op and an elementary school I wouldn't expect much construction or half-way houses coming anytime soon.

Mayo
10-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Anyone here gonna go to the Mark by Qualex Landmark launch? What do you guys think of the location?

Bigtime
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Mark is in a killer location, really looking forward to seeing that project go ahead.

TurnedTheCorner
10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I would love to get into the Groves of Varsity - awesome location, but priced way out of my range. :(

JMN
10-19-2012, 03:30 PM
I would love to get into the Groves of Varsity - awesome location, but priced way out of my range. :(

What's the price range on those units?

TurnedTheCorner
10-20-2012, 10:00 AM
What's the price range on those units?

Not sure how reliable the site is, but the first info I found was from here: http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/the-groves-of-varsity/units

Range: $299,960 to $911,960

Unit examples

1 br 793 sq.f. - $337,900
2 br 1120 sq.f. - $459,900

Bigtime
10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I would not pay that much for a condo in the suburbs, adjacent to the LRT line or not.

Jing
10-20-2012, 12:10 PM
I noticed that the floor plans are up for 3 Eau Claire. Kind of surprised that they are so small, but I guess they are tailored more for those looking to invest?

JMN
10-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Those prices do look a bit expensive for out of downtown. Nice floor plans though. I'm curious as to what pricing will be like for Mark and if the finishes will be like Luna.

TurnedTheCorner
10-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I would not pay that much for a condo in the suburbs, adjacent to the LRT line or not.
Yeah, it's tough to justify - man I love that area of the city though.

JMN
10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
3 Eau Claire: http://www.3eauclaire.ca/

The building looks amazing. Tiny 2 bedroom though, only 641 sqft.

With world-class design by NORR Architects, 3 Eau Claire will be the tallest residence in the city reaching 48 storeys into the Calgary skyline. This remarkable building brings together three carefully designed mixed-use components. At street level 20,000 square feet of retail space is planned for a convenient grocery store, coffee shop and restaurant. Located on the second level will be a mixture of professional services firms. Floors three through 12 are designed for office use with a large floor plate of approximately 20,000 square feet. Up to 500 one, two, and three-bedroom finely appointed condominium residences will occupy the next 37 floors completing the two residential towers. Innovative architectural design will provide maximum light exposure for all suites.

Bigtime
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I still think 3 Eau Claire is a real long shot to actually get built.

Hack&Lube
10-26-2012, 03:54 PM

I know a bunch of people who just bought in the Groves...I tried to talk them out of it as it wasn't logical to me for that size & price range even though it was adjacent to LRT. It's a concrete and not wood construction though AFAIK so that bumps up the price.

Hack&Lube
10-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Wow I didn't realize that 3 Eau Claire was connected to the +15. I'm imagining not having to even put on a jacket or walk on a single flake of snow in the winter...

JMN
10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
I still think 3 Eau Claire is a real long shot to actually get built.

I never heard of this condo before - what issues are they having? I'm assuming they don't have a start/finish date?

Bigtime
10-26-2012, 05:15 PM
No issues, just that it is a very ambitious project that needs a lot things to align perfectly for it to actually go ahead.

This proposal first surfaced almost 3 years ago, went dark and is back again.

Just my opinion that it is a long shot to actually happen. Would be cool if it did though.

mjt
11-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Hello All,
I just found this thread... I should have looked here 8 days ago!
I just bought a new unit being built so hopefully won't learn anything that will cause remorse... eek!... but, anyone have any comments about the Sonoma Townhome project in Sage Hill?
It's our first home purchase and we are very excited!
I posted in another thread about whether a Real Property Report was required and got some helpful answers. I wonder if I can convince Vertical Properties to provide one for me.

mjt
11-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if it is mandatory to include heaters (electric?) in attached garages? Was just at the Prospect Rise project in Kincora and they said mentioned something like that.

Winsor_Pilates
11-25-2012, 03:53 PM
No issues, just that it is a very ambitious project that needs a lot things to align perfectly for it to actually go ahead.

Just my opinion that it is a long shot to actually happen. Would be cool if it did though.
I have to agree. Especially with a developer based from Korea.
I've been part of some large Korean developments in The Vancouver area, and they had real financial troubles when it came to securing financing.
This group may do better but it adds some layers of difficulty.

MrCallahan
12-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Wow, I haven't actually heard of the 3 Eau Claire building, but that looks gorgeous! I would love to see something like that come to fruition, I imagine the pricing would be on the higher end of the scale though.

JMN
01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Looks like Luna is having more issues:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/01/09/calgary-rescue-family.html

Was extremely close to purchasing a unit in Luna and but am glad that I didnt.

Travis Munroe
01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
While it seems to be a very unfortunate incident, it seems like a bit of a freak accident that will end up being covered by insurance and affect a small percentage of owners.
Would the elevator have actually filled with water or would it have drained out? I know little to nothing about elevator loads but one has to think a elevator 75% full of water would exceed the weight limit and bring the possibility of it coming down?

As for 3 Eau Claire, already mentioned in this thread but I have also spoke with people saying there is no way it goes ahead as planned.

Winsor_Pilates
01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Looks like Luna is having more issues:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/01/09/calgary-rescue-family.html

Was extremely close to purchasing a unit in Luna and but am glad that I didnt.
What are the other issues you've been hearing about?

I've had great experiences with Qualex Landmark buildings, both in Calgary and Vancouver. Surprised if Luna is having major issues.

JMN
01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
What are the other issues you've been hearing about?

I've had great experiences with Qualex Landmark buildings, both in Calgary and Vancouver. Surprised if Luna is having major issues.

I don't know specifically because I didnt care enough to ask but the couple people I know that live there dislike it. One of them just sold his unit.

To be fair, I've also heard great things about other Qualex condos and tons of people likely love it at Luna.

Flaminghot
01-10-2013, 08:18 PM
What do you guys think of the 1912Cross Project?
http://www.###############.com/1912cross-calgary/

Bigtime
01-12-2013, 09:00 AM
What do you guys think of the 1912Cross Project?
http://www.###############.com/1912cross-calgary/

I know that this was the former Riverside Quays development. The original developer built the first phase, and had started on the second before going bankrupt. This new development company has purchased the entire site and looks pretty keen to make it happen. They have tweaked the design and made it much more modern than the terribly executed faux-historicism of the first building.

What Inglewood really needs to go from good to great is a grocer, that is the only thing really lacking for this development. I would also make sure that they plan to have good sound proofing, as the landing/takeoff path for one of the airport's main runways is directly over top.

KOgear
01-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Some pics of Mark on their webiste. Looks really nice, and the floor plans are alright. Pricing is alright too. The only thing is it's right by the CPR rail, not sure how noisy that will be.

http://qualex.ca/mark/residences/interiors/

On their mailing list and got this in the email regarding Mark on 10th:

Early Purchase Incentive: 3% off list price - valid only until January 31, 2013

One Bedrooms From: $199,800

Two Bedrooms From: $353,800

Estimated Construction Start: March 2013

Estimated Completion: Fall 2015

Jing
01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
While it seems to be a very unfortunate incident, it seems like a bit of a freak accident that will end up being covered by insurance and affect a small percentage of owners.
Would the elevator have actually filled with water or would it have drained out? I know little to nothing about elevator loads but one has to think a elevator 75% full of water would exceed the weight limit and bring the possibility of it coming down?

As for 3 Eau Claire, already mentioned in this thread but I have also spoke with people saying there is no way it goes ahead as planned.

Would you be able to elaborate?

Travis Munroe
01-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Would you be able to elaborate?

I don't have everything right in front of me so dont quote any of this but it was related to concerns with the developer and the vision being way to out there.
If you want to know more, please pm me and I can give more specifics.

Bigtime
01-14-2013, 09:43 AM
According to their facebook page, Guardian has started construction and are aiming for a completion around 24-27 months from now:

We've begun construction and we have an incredible construction manager with a phenomenal portfolio (Jakin - http://jakin.ca/). We still aim to finish construction in 24 - 27 months.

JD
01-17-2013, 11:34 AM
According to their facebook page, Guardian has started construction and are aiming for a completion around 24-27 months from now:
About time! Wonder why they haven't tweeted anything about this.... I guess they'd rather keep tweeting articles from trendy circulations that talk about how cool living in urban Calgary is.

Travis Munroe
01-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Just left the Mark on 10th show centre with a client who is purchasing. They seem to be selling at a quick pace in the short time they have been for sale. Pm me if your interested in available units!

Bigtime
01-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Just left the Mark on 10th show centre with a client who is purchasing. They seem to be selling at a quick pace in the short time they have been for sale. Pm me if your interested in available units!

Word is they have sold 100 units already, and they plan to open the sales centre to the public on February 2nd.

Travis Munroe
01-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Edit: creating a thread due to the buzz on this building.

Bigtime
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Article in the Herald about Bucci's next multi-family project, Ven:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Best+site+rises+Kensington/7890222/story.html#ixzz2Jfx2bU6L

http://www.calgaryherald.com/7890257.bin?size=620x400

http://i.imgur.com/GVJYWnI.png

This is a pretty excellent location (5th Avenue NW), a minute or two removed from the hustle and bustle of Kensington proper, on a nice tree lined street in Sunnyside. I am very happy to see something of this scale come into the community proper.

Developments that Bucci has done in Calgary:

-Bella Citta and Bella Lusso (the Bridges phase 1)
-Xenex (Beltline condo just east of the Safeway)
-Tribeca (under construction in Mission)
-Next (under construction on Edmonton trail)

Wormius
02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
^^ Any idea what those 2 bedroom+den units are going for? I assume those aren't the $279k units.

Bigtime
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
^^ Any idea what those 2 bedroom+den units are going for? I assume those aren't the $279k units.

I'm not sure, but their website is up and running now and you can call for pricing:

http://bucci.com/residential/now-selling/ven/pricing/

bizaro86
02-20-2013, 01:21 PM
This is a pretty excellent location (5th Avenue NW), a minute or two removed from the hustle and bustle of Kensington proper, on a nice tree lined street in Sunnyside. I am very happy to see something of this scale come into the community proper.

I'm amazed someone was able to buy all the houses on that street, it looks like 11 in a row. That must have taken either 15 years of patiently buying, or waving fistfuls of money at everyone.

Wormius
02-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Any opinions on the St. Johns on 10th condos?

bizaro86
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM

The article posted here: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=4100000&postcount=64 says Shaw is taking 12 floors in 3 Eau Claire, plus naming rights. I'd have to think that increases the odds of this project going ahead, as that would be an extremely bankable lease for the developer to borrow against.

Bigtime
02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Well holy crap Shaw just made 3 Eau Claire pretty much a go at this point. Word is they start construction this summer now.

Bigtime
02-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Here are some new renderings of 3EC with the Shaw signage:

http://www.marketwire.com/library/20130227-800%203%20Eau%20Claire_wlogo.jpg

http://www.marketwire.com/library/20130227-800%203%20Eau%20Claire_Dusk.jpg

And in the skyline:

http://www.marketwire.com/library/20130227-800%203EC_Shaw_Building_Aerial.jpg

etc
04-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Any updates for this? Should I be waiting for pre-sales if I'm not looking to buy right away? Anyway to look for upcoming pre-sales? Thanks!

Flaminghot
06-04-2013, 10:19 PM
guys, what about this one.. just saw an article on a project called Albert Park Station in SE.

VIP sales starts this weekend, its advertised to start at $140k 2bdrms

http://www.###############.com/albert-park-station-condos-sales-pricing-7672/

Violator
07-17-2013, 09:02 PM
guys, what about this one.. just saw an article on a project called Albert Park Station in SE.

VIP sales starts this weekend, its advertised to start at $140k 2bdrms

http://www.###############.com/albert-park-station-condos-sales-pricing-7672/

cough: carlisle :cough

etc
07-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Still looking for a a place, why is that one so cheap?

Travis Munroe
07-17-2013, 10:43 PM
which one so cheap? Albert park Station?
As Violator pointed out it is a carlisle project. In other words Pointe of View which had a horrible repuation before vanishing.

If your looking for something, why not message me? I can steer you in the right direction and work with new builds/purchases.

etc
07-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Will do!

Violator
07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
which one so cheap? Albert park Station?
As Violator pointed out it is a carlisle project. In other words Pointe of View which had a horrible repuation before vanishing.

If your looking for something, why not message me? I can steer you in the right direction and work with new builds/purchases.

I worked on Tara lake and indigo sky cheap is what you get and in that case cheap is what you don't want.

CarlW
08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I worked on Tara lake and indigo sky cheap is what you get and in that case cheap is what you don't want.

Wish I read this thread months ago as I bought into Encore in Kincora.
What has been the knock on Carlisle? Should I worry when it's completed that I'll fall through the floor when bathing? Ceiling falling in?

Was gonna live in it, but now thinking maybe I should sell it once it's finished...:bag:

WilsonFourTwo
08-10-2013, 07:02 AM
The complaints around Pointe Of View/Carlisle tended to revolve around warranties. Being a budget builder they tended to have a higher number of warranty issues but had a poor reputation for dealing with them.

I would argue that when a builder of that size feels they need to change their name, there is probably some validity to concerns. Note that the company said it was purely for "Refocusing" their business....(Herald Link (http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=d9ad8473-2298-4a00-b12d-b5d0df144d9a))

In general, here's a CP thread (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=77394)to give you a flavor.

Hope that helps.

Violator
08-12-2013, 08:00 PM
You always take a chance buying new especially how fast houses are put up these days the only way you know a house is going to be perfect is usually one dedicated builder building one house not one builder building about 75 houses,Building houses like that is more of a production line that the builder designates to the sub trades and says to the sub trades how fast they need the house to put on the market.When i say watch our for places like POV/Carlisle I'm saying its a rush job and trying to get the condos on the market as quick as possible to finance the next two or three buildings or projects.

Swarez
08-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Long time lurker, finally decided to join.

I have been back and forth from Toronto last couple years, now found a good job in Calgary (working with the airport authority), sold my place in Toronto and looking. I am going to start off renting, but is it worth buying into the Calgary market now?
My place in Toronto appreciated quite a bit, and with the equity and DP I have, its a sizable down payment. I am in late 20s, single, no kids etc, and will probably be here for at least a few years.
There were a couple new developments 15 mins from the airport I was looking at that will be ready next year for about $200K (two bed plus den, no amenities).

WilsonFourTwo
08-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Here comes the jinx, but.....

I think Calgary is still a can't miss location. There is such a constant influx of people, even during the "tough times", and they all need a place to live.

The city has reached a critical mass (Like Toronto and Vancouver, albeit for different reasons) and is a destination for people. Condos remain affordable for people outside Oil and Gas, and laughably affordable for this in it. Houses on the other hand have hit a value in which you NEED two decent incomes or one good O&G paycheque for them to be affordable.

No matter what route you take, welcome to Calgary. She ain't the prettiest girl at the party, but she ain't that bad either.

Winsor_Pilates
10-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Well holy crap Shaw just made 3 Eau Claire pretty much a go at this point. Word is they start construction this summer now.
I'm hearing they did have financing problems as we suspected & a certain large BC developer just bought the development.

Bigtime
10-29-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm hearing they did have financing problems as we suspected & a certain large BC developer just bought the development.

I hadn't heard anything about that, could make sense in why they didn't start construction over the summer though. The lot is now fenced off and things are probably going to get moving soon.

Tyler
10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Pretty doubtful Crossings in Bridgeland is going to start anytime soon.

The whole Bridges development pisses me off. I wish it didn't take this long to finish off this area of Bridgeland.

Bigtime
10-29-2013, 09:08 AM
I bought and lived in a phase one building from 2005-2008, back then I would have thought by now the other two phases would have been built out. Too bad, so much potential there.

BumbleBee
12-08-2013, 11:49 AM
LIDO by Battistella is now selling in Kensington!

Looks like Battistella's new development will be on the corner of 10th street and 2nd Avenue, directly west of their other building, PIXEL.
It's mixed-use so there will be retail spaces on the ground level, a boutique hotel on the second level, and then 60 condo units for sale ranging from 1- to 3- bedrooms. Pretty cool to see some 3-bedroom units finally popping up, especially in Kensington! Great for anyone looking to downsize.

www.battistella.ca/lido
http://www.battistella.ca/lido/uploads/images/building.jpg

Bigtime
12-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Those three bedroom units in Lido start at $900,000.

Sheva #7
12-09-2013, 08:32 PM
how much is 1 bedroom + den, any idea?

Brewmaster
12-09-2013, 09:20 PM
When a building has retail space, hotel suites and paid public parking is it all owned by the condo and income for the reserve fund?

Bigtime
12-10-2013, 07:09 AM
When a building has retail space, hotel suites and paid public parking is it all owned by the condo and income for the reserve fund?

Not always, when I lived in arriVa the retail was a separate condo corporation that also had control of the P1 public parking. The residential condo tower controlled the residential entrance and the tower proper, plus the podium space on level 3 (including the two guest suites).

I do believe there are other condos where they may all be lumped in together. However in the case of Lido it would not surprise me to see it split 3 ways, retail, hotel, and residential.

lorenavedon
12-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Lido is about the most overpriced condo project I've ever seen. I think the developer confused Kensington Calgary with Kensington London

Bigtime
12-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Yesterday Guardian announced that they are sold out, I would guess tower two will start to sell early next year.

nik-
12-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Lido is more that $100 more per sq foot on average than Pixel which is right beside it. It's ridiculous. If those 3 bedrooms are 900k, it's much better to just wait and buy a real house in Sunnyside or Hillhurst.

bizaro86
12-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Lido is more that $100 more per sq foot on average than Pixel which is right beside it. It's ridiculous. If those 3 bedrooms are 900k, it's much better to just wait and buy a real house in Sunnyside or Hillhurst.

Instead of waiting I'd buy this:
http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=13709451

Bigtime
12-27-2013, 12:30 PM
One of the rare Sunnyside homes with an attached garage.

lorenavedon
12-29-2013, 12:34 PM
anybody see any deals anymore or have we plateaued? Seems like everything is overpriced now unless you're really desperate to buy. Been to about 15 different new development sales centers and ended up leaving thinking "this might not be that bad had it been $100k cheaper". Or am I out to lunch and these are awesome deals?

cam_wmh
12-29-2013, 02:03 PM
anybody see any deals anymore or have we plateaued? Seems like everything is overpriced now unless you're really desperate to buy. Been to about 15 different new development sales centers and ended up leaving thinking "this might not be that bad had it been $100k cheaper". Or am I out to lunch and these are awesome deals?

Wait until a few weeks into January, as sellers pull their listing off the market during Christmas time, and others will list now that holidays are over.

spring
01-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone. I want to know what is the requirement for presale. Is it just like buying a property with mortgage or you just pay the initial cost and then wait for it to be ready and then discuss the mortgage. Anyone has experience?

Travis Munroe
01-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Just leaving the office but feel free to message me. No mortgage until its built.
Im sure someone else will chime in before I get back.
Great username. Was spring2 taken?

Winsor_Pilates
01-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi everyone. I want to know what is the requirement for presale. Is it just like buying a property with mortgage or you just pay the initial cost and then wait for it to be ready and then discuss the mortgage. Anyone has experience?
You don't need the mortgage until its ready, but you may want to get one anyway for 2 reasons:
-To find out what you qualify for anyway. If you can't qualify later, you'll still be in a firm contract & the developer will expect you to figure it out. This will also help you break down your expected monthly payments and make sure you're budgeting well.

-To hold a rate. Most mortgage rates are only held for 60-90 days but Presales will have an on site relationship with a broker/bank who will hold rates for even 2-3 years. This way if rates go up a year from now, you've still held something in place as a just in case rate.

Sheva #7
04-27-2014, 10:19 PM
anyone saw the news on 3 Eau Claire this weekend? Looks like they have gone insolvent and the contraction is not going to go ahead…so now what happens with ppl's money that went for down payments?

Travis Munroe
04-27-2014, 11:02 PM
anyone saw the news on 3 Eau Claire this weekend? Looks like they have gone insolvent and the contraction is not going to go ahead…so now what happens with ppl's money that went for down payments?

I didnt follow this project as close as some on here however deposits should all be protected and were held in trust - they will get them back.

Bigtime
04-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Yes the deposits were held in trust, so purchasers into the project are safe.

The Yen Man
04-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Speaking from experience (I bought into the failed Midtown Project back in 2005), you eventually do get your money back. When you get it back is a different matter. I think it took me like a year and half to get mine back, and that was only after Point of View bought the project and cancelled the second tower (which was where I bought).

Sheva #7
08-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Has anyone heard any updates on 3 Eau Claire? Looks like they are working with a new builder and expect to make some type of announcement end of this month, any rumours out there as to what is happening with 3 Eau Claire?

Bigtime
08-09-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm guessing nothing, not a peep about it through all the sources on SSP.

TSXCman
08-09-2014, 09:57 AM
I wish I was in the market to buy last year... I've been looking at the Tribeca building in Mission and it fits everything I was looking for. The units that go on sale from there now are verrrry high, and the other pre-construction projects don't seem very reasonable.

Jiggy
08-31-2014, 05:55 PM
There is a new condo development happening on Centre St. Right across from the Scotia Bank. Does any one know what it's called? I can't find any information on it.