PDA

View Full Version : Convert WiFi router to a Switch, possible?

OldDutch
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I recently got the free Shaw SMC WiFi/modem/router. Since I have more than 4 hard wired connections, I want to use my old Belkin N+ router as a simple switch.

I have tried the following on the Belkin. I turned off WiFi, and DHCP. I also set the Router IP to an IP on the network (192.168.0.22).

I reach my SMC admin page at 192.168.0.1

I then plug LAN 1 from the SMC to the modem port on the Belkin. I then plug my laptop into LAN 1 on the Belkin, expecting internet, but it doesn't work.

I admit, I am not a networking expert, my background is Comp Sci. So if there are any network guys who can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Rathji
08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I cant remember specifically for Belkin, but you either want to turn on access point mode or turn off NAT (in addition to the other things you have already disabled).

OldDutch
08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks Rathji!, I think I just solved it. I need to only use the LAN ports, and not the modem/internet port, as an internet input on the Belkin.

So disable wifi, dhcp, and set router ip to an ip on the network (as mentioned above). My mistake was not plugging internet from the SMC LAN 1 into Belkin LAN 1. Downside is I only have 3 hard ports now, but that is enough.

Thanks again!