PDA

View Full Version : Old computer password protected

Jayems
08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Trying to find some info out here.

I'm looking to buy some old mac (G4) computers off my work. They're just sitting around and I have a use for them. It's a long story, so I'll spare you the nitty gritty.

Anyway, my concern is that each computer was used by an individual who password protected the computer when they shouldn't have. I've even gone to great lengths to contact the previous employees, but they don't remember the passwords.

So my question is, if I get the computers, I need to some how reset the passwords. Is there a way to do this? I assume I could take it in somewhere like a repair shop and they'll do it?

I'm guessing I'd have to have some proof I didn't just steal the things too...

So can this be done or should I look at other, easier options?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hack&Lube
08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
There is always a way to break the user password unless it's designed for strong encryption and security. I don't think any repair shop will know how to do it for a Mac since Macs are serviced by Apple usually. Repair shops are also pretty stupid usually.

With Windows XP, Vista, 7, you can break the user password with Linux. MacOS is based on Unix so I think there will be a similar way but I am not familiar with it as I am with Windows. Someone else can chime in or I (or you) can google it up.

If all else fails, just format the computers and reinstall OSX or leave the users and create a new user. You only need to break the password if you need to save personal files and documents associated with and protected by the account. I would just blank the computers and reinstall the operating system from scratch.

edit:
Just google yourself, this is the very first result in google.
http://lifehacker.com/278898/reset-your-lost-os-x-password

Hold Apple+S when booting to enter single user mode
#sh /etc/rc
#passwd yourusername
#reboot

Rathji
08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Like Hack already said, if you dont need the data, just wipe it clean.

edit: I am actually surprised the IT Dept is letting them out the door with that data. I would be DBAN'ing anything that left my office.

sclitheroe
08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Tsk Tsk...you're both assuming its not the Mac's firmware password, which neither of your solutions will solve...getting sloppy gentlemen ;)

Rathji
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Tsk Tsk...you're both assuming its not the Mac's firmware password, which neither of your solutions will solve...getting sloppy gentlemen ;)

That would also resolve my confusion about why the IT people let it out of the building with data on it!

Raises an interesting question that I never really thought of though, but do the G4 Mac's have a password reset jumper or are they a soldered connection? I assume the new Intel Mac's all have one?

sclitheroe
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Force Removing Password Protection

1) Add or remove DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM in the computer.
2) Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + P + R).

How obscure is that eh..you have to keep the PRAM reset keys down for three boot cycles (three startup chimes)

Hack&Lube
08-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks, I come across Macs like 0.0001% of the time so I would have never known you needed to do that for the firmware password. It could come in handy.

sclitheroe
08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks, I come across Macs like 0.0001% of the time so I would have never known you needed to do that for the firmware password. It could come in handy.

I had to google it too..its hella obscure.

As is the dreaded CUDA button..which you can only press ONCE..ONCE...or else bad things can happen, and your shiny G4 mac might never boot again! (for real!)

Jayems
08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm willing to bet, now that you mention it, the computers will be wiped clean if they do indeed sell them to me, which would solve my problems. But this is good to know incase they dont.

Hack&Lube
08-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Any company would be incredibly stupid to sell surplus computers to anyone and leave all the data intact. They had better zero fill the drives as well or it's very easy to recover information.