PDA

View Full Version : Someone created a Battle.net account with my email address

Rathji
07-20-2011, 04:35 PM
So I got an email today saying I had created a battle.net account for my email address. My name is not zhang, and I dont play anything on Battle.net and haven't since Diablo 2.

I have contacted Blizzard support, and changed my email password, but am wondering if anyone here was familiar with the 'scam' that is going on.

Hello zhang,

Welcome to Battle.net!

You have successfully created the following Battle.net account:

<<<my email address>>>

The Battle.net account is a centralized account system that will let you manage all of the Blizzard Entertainment games you play, including World of Warcraft and future games, in one place without having to remember multiple sets of login information.

We highly recommend that you take this opportunity to verify your e-mail address. Verifying your e-mail address will unlock extra Battle.net account features, including the ability to register Blizzard games you own so that you can download them, free of charge, any time you want. To do so, simply click here:

<<<<<email link for account activation>>>>

In addition, you may also merge any World of Warcraft accounts you play with this Battle.net account. After merging, you will log in to the game and its associated online services such as World of Warcraft Account Management, the World of Warcraft Forums, and the World of Warcraft Armory, using your Battle.net login information. You can begin the account merge process at the Battle.net account homepage, located at http://www.battle.net/account.

Please retain this e-mail for your reference.

For more information, click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions or to contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team.

Sincerely,
The Battle.net Account Team
Online Privacy Policy

psyang
07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
My guess is it's not a scam. I have had at least 1 (and maybe up to 3) people mistakenly use my gmail account as their own. I don't know how or why, but I'm pretty sure it was not a scam as the emails I get are mostly not advertisements. Rather, probably 80% of the emails are bill payment statements from a bank. The rest are various things: facebook friend requests, a couple personal emails (to whom I've emailed back asking them to inform their friend of the mistake - no response), one email from an accountant with tax documents, and only a few emails from online gaming sites and online retailers from which this person(s) apparently made purchases.

It's made for a good story as I've tried on numerous occasions to inform the senders of the mistake, but to no avail. I'm now in acceptance mode unless a new email arrives that can give me a "lead" on the person(s).

QuadCityImages
07-20-2011, 07:36 PM
This is actually how I got my first twitter account. Someone mistakenly used my email address to sign up, and of course couldn't verify to activate their account. Since twitter wouldn't let me create a "second" account with my email address, I just activated that one, requested a new password, changed the @ handle and took over it.

Rathji
07-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Anyone know of a way I can cancel the account?

Ashasx
07-20-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm fairly sure you can't delete an account without direct communication with Blizzard.

If I were you, I'd just change the Battle.net email address (under settings) and let the account rot.

Blaster86
07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
likely a scam.

Rathji
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm fairly sure you can't delete an account without direct communication with Blizzard.

If I were you, I'd just change the Battle.net email address (under settings) and let the account rot.

I tried reset the password and kill the account, however I can't change it without his last name.

Ashasx
07-20-2011, 10:14 PM
I tried reset the password and kill the account, however I can't change it without his last name.

None of this information was in the email? Can you log on to the account at all?

If not, try creating an account with that used email address, and see what it says.

You may just have to eventually free up some time one night and call Blizzard and wait on hold.

Rathji
07-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I posted the email, in its entirety. It only has his first name.

Ashasx
07-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, I guess the only answer is phoning in, unfortunately.

Canuck-Hater
07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
A Blizzard employee will never ask for your email address.

Hanni
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Just to post how to resolve this. I got this email on an old email account I barely ever use anymore. Called Blizzard and he removed the account promptly, as soon as I told him the issue he immediately knew the name they used, Zhang.

He said what they do is create accounts with peoples emails, if it lets them they move on, if it says you already have an account they will try and hack it.

And yes a Blizzard employee will ask for your email address, I would imagine they won't ask for your password though.

MarchHare
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
My guess is it's not a scam. I have had at least 1 (and maybe up to 3) people mistakenly use my gmail account as their own. I don't know how or why, but I'm pretty sure it was not a scam as the emails I get are mostly not advertisements. Rather, probably 80% of the emails are bill payment statements from a bank. The rest are various things: facebook friend requests, a couple personal emails (to whom I've emailed back asking them to inform their friend of the mistake - no response), one email from an accountant with tax documents, and only a few emails from online gaming sites and online retailers from which this person(s) apparently made purchases.

It's made for a good story as I've tried on numerous occasions to inform the senders of the mistake, but to no avail. I'm now in acceptance mode unless a new email arrives that can give me a "lead" on the person(s).

I get this all the time with my Gmail account. I was one of the first people to get an invite when the service launched in 2004, so I could pick a username using the format of first initial last name @gmail.com (e.g. jsmith@gmail.com). Lots of people mistakenly sign up for legitimate services using what they think is their email address but is actually mine. Currently I'm receiving some dude's frequent flyer info from Delta Airlines, notifications that my AT&T cell phone data usage is over its monthly limit, and weekly updates from ancestry.com and an online dating website. I'm not sure if the same person signed up for each of those services with my address or if they were caused by multiple people making the same mistake. I also sometimes receive personal emails that are intended for other people.

Rathji
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for assuring me that this will work - I have been putting it off because I dont want to spend forever on the phone to have them say stuff it.

Hanni
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
And I only waited on hold for about 2 minutes, that was at 4pm.

Teh_Bandwagoner
08-08-2011, 05:32 PM
'sup Zhang?

Rathji
08-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Took me about an hour on hold and on the phone, but apparently they have some sort of pruning system for un-verified accounts that caught it already.

Ashasx
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Good stuff. I thought they might have had something like that.

I apologize for your time on hold. :(

Rathji
08-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Its all good, I ended up playing minecraft while I was waiting.

Almost done my to scale Helms Deep...

Mike F
08-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Do you ever have episodes where you lose track of time, wake up in places and can't remember how you got there, or find your hands to be inexplicably sticky?