PDA

View Full Version : The Burger Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
So a few of us from work go every few months to sample burgers around the city. Not just any burgers mind you - forget the Wendy's and the A & W's of the world. Think Buchanan's.....think Murietta's.....think Redwater Grille.....think Vintage - a higher end burger experience. We've been going for a few years now and I'm always looking for new ideas.

CP foodies - I want to know your recommendations for the best high-end burgers in Calgary

TorqueDog
07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Tommy Burger on south Macleod Trail and Lounge Burger beside the Stampede grounds.

Love both of those places.

THE SCUD
07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Five Guys burger is the best I've had, and I've eaten a burger at a lot of the high end joints you've mentioned. There's something about 5 guys that makes it amazing, regardless of price. A++ burger e bayer.

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Tommy Burger on south Macleod Trail and Lounge Burger beside the Stampede grounds.

Yup - done both of those - especially enjoyed Loungeburger and the selection they had.

troutman
High End Burgers - oooh, your majesty, la de da.

Didn't some sports bar on Macleod Trail win a best burger contest for a Shrimp Burger?

Ruttiger
Five Guys burger is the best I've had, and I've eaten a burger at a lot of the high end joints you've mentioned. There's something about 5 guys that makes it amazing, regardless of price. A++ burger e bayer.

I think it's the seasoning and the unholy amount of fries they throw in the bag - good lord!

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 09:37 AM

I like all burgers, as anyone who knows me will attest.......this is an ongoing theme for the lunches though.

Sliver
07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I liked Five Guys more when it was a treat in the States. I've eaten at the one in Calgary a few times now and it has lost its luster. I give it a 7/10 - Rocky's kicks its ass.

troutman
07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I like all burgers, as anyone who knows me will attest.......this is an ongoing theme for the lunches though.

Just kidding - I added a suggestion.

I also like White Spot Burgers (with the Triple O Sauce). Don't know if that counts as "high end". Milestones (in Vancouver) used to do a good peppercorn burger.

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I liked Five Guys more when it was a treat in the States. I've eaten at the one in Calgary a few times now and it has lost its luster. I give it a 7/10 - Rocky's kicks its ass.

I have to admit we've hit a number of different spots other than the high end places. Rocky's ranks right near the top thus far. The Cattle Baron had a good one as well.

CaramonLS
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
The name is on the tip of my tongue - it's the new restaurant where the Flightdeck used to be just off beddington and country hills.

Best burger that I've had the pleasure of eating in recent memory.

Oh, and Five Guys is really good as well.

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Just kidding - I added a suggestion.

I also like White Spot Burgers (with the Triple O Sauce). Don't know if that counts as "high end". Milestones (in Vancouver) used to do a good peppercorn burger.

I'm a proponent of the White Spot burger - good call.

Haven't done Milestone's yet.....may have to look into that.

Daradon
07-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Was going to mention both of those.

Great burgers, fun places.

Bigtime
07-18-2011, 09:43 AM
It's been a few years since I've had it but I remember the burger at the Cactus Club was very good.

I've also enjoyed LoungeBurger.

Temporary_User
07-18-2011, 09:47 AM
All of Craft Beer Markets burgers use a pretzel bun and use naturally raised beef.

They also have a 20 ounce burger. This thing is massive!

DownInFlames
07-18-2011, 09:51 AM
The burger at the Ship & Anchor pub is great, and surprisingly cheap. Nothing beats sitting on their patio with a Ship Burger and a beer. For something different try the bison burger at Halo.

fleudian
07-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Try Dairy Lane cafe on 19th street. Best burger I've ever had.

Daradon
07-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Loungeburger used to have a menu item called 'The 40 dollar burger'

It was a lobster patty wrapped in prosciutto, topped with some other exotic and yummy ingredients.

They have since gotten rid of it. They've changed their menu, and used to have some weirder burgers which were fun, but I guess didn't sell much. Though they still have a great tiger shrimp burger I'd highly recommend and a portabello mushroom burger I'd highly recommend too. The elk meat is great too. I'm pretty sure they have bison as well.

And a lot of more 'regular' options like Santa Fe styled burgers, blue cheese burgers, chicken burgers, etc.

J Diddy
07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Green Chile burger at Brewster's is really good if you like heat.

The Kona burger at Original Joe's is excellent and one of my faves. Gigantic, flavorful and juicy!

Keith's burger at Boogies' Burgers is in my top 5.

Most consistent burger has to be Rocky's. I have never had a bad burger there.

South Western burger at Lounge Burger is currently my favorite burger in the city.

Tommy Burger has gone waaaaay down hill and they are apprently under new management...likely due to poor service. 5 guys didn't do enough for me to want to go back anytime soon. I can't remember the burger I had at Fat Burger so I doubt it is that great of a place. Had a burger at Peter's last Thursday and asked myself "why did I just eat that" when i was done. The White Spot was possibly one of the worst buirgers I have ever had. So dry and gross. I will never go there again.

I am looking forward to the Charcut Alley Burger bus.

Icon
07-18-2011, 09:57 AM
After having this Lamb burger in NY, at the Breslin, nothing else has come remotely close.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/IMG_0601v.jpg

Best.

Burger.

EVER.

J Diddy
07-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Loungeburger used to have a menu item called 'The 40 dollar burger'

It was a lobster patty wrapped in prosciutto, topped with some other exotic and yummy ingredients.

They have since gotten rid of it. They've changed their menu, and used to have some weirder burgers which were fun, but I guess didn't sell much. Though they still have a great tiger shrimp burger I'd highly recommend and a portabello mushroom burger I'd highly recommend too. The elk meat is great too. I'm pretty sure they have bison as well.

And a lot of more 'regular' options like Santa Fe styled burgers, blue cheese burgers, chicken burgers, etc.

Yeah unfortunately they were notorious for screwing up peoples orders because the menu was so big. They had to cut the menu down to prevent so many mistakes and before they started to get a bad reputation.

Sliver
07-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Green Chile burger at Brewster's is really good if you like heat.

Aside from wing night, I think Brewster's has the most pathetic menu of any restaurant in town. I like their beer and wings so I go regularly...plus there is one by my house which makes it convenient, but man I can't get into any of their food.

Wormius
07-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I personally like Rocky's and Boogies, although I have been finding Rocky's a bit too much on the well-done side.

I remember there was something about the burger at Laurier Lounge downtown that caught Warren Buffet's eye when he was in town last year or something.

Red Robins is also good for a family type place to eat. I don't know if there is one in Calgary, and if its anything like the ones in BC.

J Diddy
07-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Red Robins is also good for a family type place to eat. I don't know if there is one in Calgary, and if its anything like the ones in BC.

I miss this place! The gooey cheese sticks and a Banzai Burger were so tasty! I believe there is on in Vancouver still...if it wasn't burned down.

Wormius
07-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I miss this place! The gooey cheese sticks and a Banzai Burger were so tasty! I believe there is on in Vancouver still...if it wasn't burned down.

There is still one in Kelowna, which is pretty good. They have one called a Royale burger or something with a fried egg that is great.

olygoalie
07-18-2011, 10:25 AM
That makes want a trip there...thats crazy good looking!!!!!

Also....try the URBANSPOON website/blog. They have tons of great information for the food enthusiast/foodie/or guys like like many who just enjoy and good meal!

malcolmk14
07-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Hit up Charcut and order a 100 oz Shareburger!!

Regulator75
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
After having this Lamb burger in NY, at the Breslin, nothing else has come remotely close.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/IMG_0601v.jpg

Best.

Burger.

EVER.

5 fries and a 3 oz lamb burger, probably cost you $25.00 in NYC.

MarchHare
07-18-2011, 10:31 AM
5 fries and a 3 oz lamb burger, probably cost you $25.00 in NYC.

Quality over quantity.

I much prefer restaurants that focus on serving the best possible food rather than the biggest portion sizes.

Bean
07-18-2011, 10:33 AM
The name is on the tip of my tongue - it's the new restaurant where the Flightdeck used to be just off beddington and country hills.

Best burger that I've had the pleasure of eating in recent memory.

Oh, and Five Guys is really good as well.

The place is now called "Stonehill". Thanks for the heads up, will try a burger instead of the steak which isnt too bad either.

Vansmack
07-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I miss fuddruckers. Although pump cheese can be nasty it was my favorite burger growing up. Anytime I visit family in Saskatoon I insist that we have at least one meal there.

SeeBass
07-18-2011, 10:38 AM

I really enjoyed the pork one too.

Jbo
Put in another vote for Loungeburger.

Never had a bad burger over there.

Regulator75
Quality over quantity.

I much prefer restaurants that focus on serving the best possible food rather than the biggest portion sizes.

Oh, I understand that point. I just hate ordering something new and getting 3 scallops and a tablespoon of turnip puree and 3 grilled asparagus for $25.00. (It's like ordering from a child's menu).

This is not a meal.

username
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I recently had the Mediterranean burger at Moxies and it was surprisingly excellent.

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Hit up Charcut and order a 100 oz Shareburger!!

We may have a winner for this week

malcolmk14
07-18-2011, 11:18 AM
We may have a winner for this week

Nice, make sure you take pictures! I've never seen one bigger than about 50 oz.

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I miss fuddruckers. Although pump cheese can be nasty it was my favorite burger growing up. Anytime I visit family in Saskatoon I insist that we have at least one meal there.

I detoured through Great Falls a couple years back on a road trip for the sole reason of tracking down the Fuddruckers. Time well spent for sure.

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I remember there was something about the burger at Laurier Lounge downtown that caught Warren Buffet's eye when he was in town last year or something.

Yeah we did Laurier a couple years ago - it was definitely above average if I recall.....

JBR
07-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Eating a good part of a mostly raw patty then spending 1 night vomiting and a few days off work says "I don't miss Fuddruckers at all"..

SeeBass
07-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Thats what she said:bag:

arloiginla
07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Five guys. The best.

Oh and their fries are really good too.

malcolmk14
07-18-2011, 11:43 AM
I like a burger as much as the next guy but I just can't get into Five Guys. When I am there I just feel like I am eating something so unhealthy.

tete
07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Sigh, a pregnant woman like me should not be reading this thread. :whaa:

Anyway, District has a fairly good burger - not high end, but not fast food either.

Barnet Flame
07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
I love Boogie's Burgers on Edmonton Trail. It's been around since I was a kid in the 70s. I am so hungry and could destroy at least one of their burgers right now.

But I'm over 7000 km away. :(

GoinAllTheWay
07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
The bigger better burger at earls is actually really good. They claim to make their own buns in house daily. Not sure if they do or not but man, that's a tasty burger! Prolly one of the best I've ever had.

Five guys makes a decent hamburger. Easily the best of the "fast food" type chains but for a good restraunt style, earls is tough to beat.

Should would like to try out some of the other suggestions though.

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
The bigger better burger at earls is actually really good. They claim to make their own buns in house daily. Not sure if they do or not but man, that's a tasty burger! Prolly one of the best I've ever had.

Five guys makes a decent hamburger. Easily the best of the "fast food" type chains but for a good restraunt style, earls is tough to beat.

Should would like to try out some of the other suggestions though.

+1 for Earl's - probably overlooked by a lot of people but a consistently above average burger.

Frank MetaMusil
07-18-2011, 12:13 PM
The Gruyere Mushroom Burger at Amsterdam Rhino was awesome the last time I had it. I also second the vote for Milestone's. They are good burgers as well.

Reaper
07-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I like a burger as much as the next guy but I just can't get into Five Guys. When I am there I just feel like I am eating something so unhealthy.Hello, it's a hamburger! Of course it is unhealthy. Nobody needs a double burger. Bacon and processed cheese are just about the unhealthiest toppings for a burger.

To me, worrying about whether the burger is so unhealthy is akin to going to a brothel and being worried that the whore isn't in love with you right before you nail her.

someguy51
07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm in the minority here as I like fatburger better then five guys.

My wife and I went on a road trip to California last year. We tried In and Out Burger and Sonic. In and Out Burger is about the same as five guys. We really, really liked Sonic though.

Whatever happened to Peters? It used to be so good. I went there a couple of months ago and it tasted about half as good as it used to.

Table 5
07-18-2011, 12:36 PM

I've never eaten at the Breslin (although I've heard it's good), but I just can't fathom lamb ever tasting as satisfying as good beef. Then again Im just not a fan of "high-end" burgers. My favorite burger in the city is Shake Shake, it tastes like it made at a backyard bbq. Pure awesome.

In Calgary? Rocky's Burger Bus by far. Always great burgers, and the setting is perfect.

Northendzone
07-18-2011, 12:43 PM
can't really say i'd be excited about dropping $25 for five fries and what appears to be a slider - although i get the whole quality/quantity debate......

if you are in winnipeg, you need to try anyplace that sells a fatboy - it mysterious, yet tasty chili like substance on the burger is some kind of awesome. additionally you would also want to try mrs. mikes......

tvp2003
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
A related question -- when I go to the US, and have the option of ordering a burger patty that is NOT well done, I always wimp out. Will having pink inside the burger actually cause me harm? Or have I been completely brainwashed by the Canadian government, where virtually anything that is made with ground beef must be cooked through.

Regulator75
07-18-2011, 12:52 PM
^^^ people eat beef tartar all the time.
You're not gonna die from a little rare or even raw beef.

VO #23
07-18-2011, 12:53 PM
can't really say i'd be excited about dropping $25 for five fries and what appears to be a slider - although i get the whole quality/quantity debate......

if you are in winnipeg, you need to try anyplace that sells a fatboy - it mysterious, yet tasty chili like substance on the burger is some kind of awesome. additionally you would also want to try mrs. mikes......

Dairi Wip in St. B, FTW. Best drive-in ever. Get the Fatboy with fries and die happy.

rd_aaron
07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
A related question -- when I go to the US, and have the option of ordering a burger patty that is NOT well done, I always wimp out. Will having pink inside the burger actually cause me harm? Or have I been completely brainwashed by the Canadian government, where virtually anything that is made with ground beef must be cooked through.

I was at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville in Waikiki and took the plunge and had a medium rare hickory burger (or whatever it was called). It was the best burger I've ever had.

pylon
07-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Hello, it's a hamburger! Of course it is unhealthy. Nobody needs a double burger. Bacon and processed cheese are just about the unhealthiest toppings for a burger.

To me, worrying about whether the burger is so unhealthy is akin to going to a brothel and being worried that the whore isn't in love with you right before you nail her.

In Calgary? Rocky's Burger Bus by far. Always great burgers, and the setting is perfect.

High-end and burger, are words that should never be combined.

The best burgers are always the greasy spoon, out of a bus, at a carnival type. A high end burger, is like taking a 1970 Challenger, and putting a Nav system, leather seats, and ABS on it. The vinyl burning your legs, as you listen to the Alman brothers on your AM radio, whilst locking up you brakes in a stagnant puddle, adds to the experience, not takes away from it.

fundmark19
07-18-2011, 12:56 PM
warren buffet burger at laurier lounge is very good. Hudsons also has a surprisingly delicious bison burger

Knalus
07-18-2011, 12:57 PM
OK, I usually like this kind of stuff, but I do NOT recommend the doughnut burger at the stampede. I'm still recovering. Not cool.

fundmark19
07-18-2011, 01:02 PM
doughnut burger was such a let down just tasted like a burger with maple syrup on it

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 01:03 PM

The best burgers are always the greasy spoon, out of a bus, at a carnival type. A high end burger, is like taking a 1970 Challenger, and putting a Nav system, leather seats, and ABS on it. The vinyl burning your legs, as you listen to the Alman brothers on your AM radio, whilst locking up you brakes in a stagnant puddle, adds to the experience, not takes away from it.

Burgers are kind of like pizza and sex - even when it's bad it's still pretty good. I was talking with someone the other day about playing hockey growing up and how the burgers in all the small town arenas were always so good.

I love Rocky's, Fatburger, the Bacon Mushroom Melt from Wendy's - they're all an orgy in my mouth. The high-end theme is just something the three of us do to give it a focus rather than just running out and grabbing the nearest burger.

Regulator75
07-18-2011, 01:07 PM
If you feel ashamed for eating a burger with a knife and fork in a fancy restaurant, you should.

jtfrogger
07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
If you are willing to head just out of town, my favourite burgers near Calgary are:

Barpa Bill's in Banff
Chuckwagon Cafe in Turner Valley

The best burger I have had within the city limits is from FARM (the restaurant attached to Janice Beaton). However, I don't know if that is normally on their menu, since they have a very small and changing menu.

Yasa
07-18-2011, 01:18 PM

Not if you use "high-end" as in above average tasting not necessarily with a high price. Rocky's isn't that expensive, but a lot of folks here like it.

Any place that gives me an actual beef patty and not a thawed out frozen processed disk wins in my books.

Rhettzky
07-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Reminded me of an episode of Man Vs. Food...

http://thebankruptdad.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/091103-adam-richman-190-burgerjpg-f03ae0a44147d21e_medium1.jpg?w=640&h=360

Bunk
07-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Diner Deluxe has a nice burger. A great menu overall.

I really like Rocky's Burger Bus - my only complaint is the the patty isn't quite seasoned enough. It's actually a little bit on the bland side.

Icon
07-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I've never eaten at the Breslin (although I've heard it's good), but I just can't fathom lamb ever tasting as satisfying as good beef.

I'm a big lamb fan, but this didn't actually have an overly-lamb taste... just tasted like awesome.

Icon
07-18-2011, 01:24 PM
+1 for the BMM from Wendys... it's nowhere near an amazing high-end burger... but as far as fast-food chains go, it's my pick.

DownInFlames
07-18-2011, 01:37 PM

For me a high-end burger is like an Aston Martin. You get the speed and you can enjot itit in comfort. I love having a beer with my burger and you can't do that at Five Guys or Rocky's (not legally anyway). Those are both great burgers but sometimes it's nice to eat them sitting is a comfortable chair, drinking out of a glass, without kids screaming in your ear.

Mass_nerder
07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I might get ripped on this, but Joey Hi-Rise burger has been great every time I've had it.

Mass_nerder
07-18-2011, 01:49 PM

The bacteria that is dangerous is found on the outside of the beef.
You can have a blue rare steak, because the outside of the meat is cooked, even when the inside is almost raw.
Because ground beef mixes the external parts of the beef (which may contain danergous bacteria), with the rest of the meat, it should reach an internal temperature of 160 F to ensure it's safe. It's possible to consume ground beef at lower internal temperatures, but you increase your chances of getting a food-borne illness.

Akai-Sesui
07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Murietta's burgers yet.
10 bucks for a pretty big delicious burger, with a mountain of fries and salad on the side. That's good value too!

I like the lamb burger even more.

Shin Pad
07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
What is a high end burger??? There is nothing high end about burgers. I love them, but I wouldn't consider them high end.

Yasa
07-18-2011, 01:59 PM
What is a high end burger??? There is nothing high end about burgers. I love them, but I wouldn't consider them high end.

Quality.

socalwingfan
07-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I eat Medium burgers every time I go out and order a burger - I've had no issues and have probably had 20 - 30 over the years prepared that way. Whenever friends/relatives visit from Canada, no one orders anything other than well done and wait for me to get sick

Derek Sutton
07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
You can have a blue rare steak, because the outside of the meat is cooked, even when the inside is almost raw.
Because ground beef mixes the external parts of the beef (which may contain danergous bacteria), with the rest of the meat, it should reach an internal temperature of 160 F to ensure it's safe. It's possible to consume ground beef at lower internal temperatures, but you increase your chances of getting a food-borne illness.

Also, children and the elderly, like most food borne illnesses are much more susceptible to e coli food poisoning. I always cook burgers for myself med, and well done for others. I'm in the meat business however and have full confidence in my own product. If you'd like to try one by ground chuck or sirloin and make it yourself. I would never order one from a restaraunt in the USA, I've seen enough Bovine University videos to know better.

psyang
07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I eat Medium burgers every time I go out and order a burger - I've had no issues and have probably had 20 - 30 over the years prepared that way. Whenever friends/relatives visit from Canada, no one orders anything other than well done and wait for me to get sick

Kind of reminds me of this (http://www.fray.com/drugs/worm/01.html). It's a longish read, but well-written and entertaining. Strangely, it hasn't turned me off my desire to one day try steak tartare...

Table 5
07-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Steak tartare is delicious....if you're afraid of the bacteria though, try tuna tartare first.

Nammer403
07-18-2011, 02:53 PM
+1 for lounge burger and charcut

Ruttiger
07-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Murietta's burgers yet.
10 bucks for a pretty big delicious burger, with a mountain of fries and salad on the side. That's good value too!

I like the lamb burger even more.

Mentioned it in the OP - it's on the list but haven't gotten there yet. Good to know it's worth a try.

On a side-note, the first stop on my stag in June was the Murietta's in Canmore.....not sure I should be paying a visit back there anytime soon.....

red sky
07-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I am excited to try the Alley Burger food truck when it finally starts up. Should be this month I hear.

Wormius
07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
^^^ people eat beef tartar all the time.
You're not gonna die from a little rare or even raw beef.

No, but you definitely expect a restaurant serving steak tartar to serve it properly and safely. I think other places might be iffy if the Calgary Health Region website of violations if any indication.

Wormius
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
warren buffet burger at laurier lounge is very good. Hudsons also has a surprisingly delicious bison burger

What did you think of the W.B. burger? I am not a fan of gorgonzola, so I don't know if that would take away from the experience or not. On the other hand, I noticed they serve poutine galvaud there, which is a favourite of mine.

troutman
07-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Steak tartare is delicious....if you're afraid of the bacteria though, try tuna tartare first.

That is different. Steak cuts are not going to be contaminated, unlike ground hamburger where more of the meat is from the outside.

EDIT - what Mass Nerder said

opendoor
07-18-2011, 03:45 PM

They're no different than any other food. You can have anything from a frozen preformed patty with a Kraft single on a Wonder Bread bun all the way up to I don't know, say a Kobe beef burger on an artisan type bun topped with exotic cheeses, for instance.

There's no reason a burger can't use good quality ingredients and when they do they're usually excellent.

Table 5
07-18-2011, 03:54 PM
That is different. Steak cuts are not going to be contaminated, unlike ground hamburger where more of the meat is from the outside.

You still have to grind the steak, so there's still a chance of contamination from the outside of the meat (or perhaps from the grinder itself depending on what it was used for beforehand). Also keep in mind steak tartare also has raw egg....which has it's own risks to.

I think the risk, however small or big it may be, is part of the fun of eating tartare.

tvp2003
07-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks to those who responded re: undercooked meat (and sorry for the partial thread de-rail).

So basicallly, there is a risk with ground beef, and Canadians food safety regs err on the side of caution (i.e. there's nothing special about the way Americans prep their burgers to make it "safer" to eat if cooked medium or medium rare).

drewboy12
07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
This just makes me think

"I am from Calgary, I only eat the high end expensive burgers"

opendoor
07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks to those who responded re: undercooked meat (and sorry for the partial thread de-rail).

So basicallly, there is a risk with ground beef, and Canadians food safety regs err on the side of caution (i.e. there's nothing special about the way Americans prep their burgers to make it "safer" to eat if cooked medium or medium rare).

Correct. It's simply a matter of surface area. If a meat packing plant doesn't take proper safety precautions and infects beef with E. coli (either from the cow itself or from workers who don't take proper precautions for cleanliness), then the effect it'll have on a steak is fairly minimal because any exposed surface will be heated beyond a temperature that bacteria survives. With ground beef though, what is on the outside at the meat packing plant will almost surely not be on the outside at the store or on your burger so there's a much, much bigger chance of bacteria surviving if the internal temperature is low.

llama64
07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
5-Guys is certainly the best "fast food" burger in the city.

The burger at the Garrison Pub in Altadore is probably the best pub burger I've ever had.

And Buchanan's is the best "high end" burger I've eaten.

A burger MUST be hand formed in the kitchen it is cooked in before I'll consider it a true burger. If it's been pre-formed and frozen, it's not worth the money they are asking for (unless it's a crappy fast food burger for under 4$.

As for medium done burgers/tar tar - I will not order any of these unless I have a sense that 1) the meat will be ground just before cooking 2) the kitchen actually knows what they are doing.

DownInFlames
07-18-2011, 05:56 PM
The Iron Goat Pub in Canmore has amazing burgers made with Bison and Elk. The one I ate had blueberries in it, and you can even get foie gras. Very decadent.

The Rose & Crown out there has a really good banquet burger, and the view on the patio can't be beat (except maybe by the Ship).

the2bears
07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh, I understand that point. I just hate ordering something new and getting 3 scallops and a tablespoon of turnip puree and 3 grilled asparagus for $25.00. (It's like ordering from a child's menu).

This is not a meal.

What kind of kid eats that? :blink:

;)

Haven't had anything high-end down here, but when talking about bang for the buck, it's hard to beat In 'n Out. Must try this Five Guys thing.

Deegee
07-18-2011, 07:39 PM
So a few of us from work go every few months to sample burgers around the city. Not just any burgers mind you - forget the Wendy's and the A & W's of the world. Think Buchanan's.....think Murietta's.....think Redwater Grille... - a higher end burger experience

Yeah, I've been to Redwater.

We had come to Calgary from the country because my mother in law had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. Foothills I think?

So we went to Redwater under the recommendation of someone we were with who lives in Calgary. They took one look at us and because we weren't in dress clothes they said there was nothing immediately available.

However they quickly setup a table behind the building for us, out of site so us country bumpkins didn't ruin their experience.

As if the treatment wasn't poor enough, they couldn't get my burger done right as I had customized it because I do not like relish.

I can't think of a reason why I would ever go back to that place ever again!

InSutterWeTrust
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM

The place is now called "Stonehill". Thanks for the heads up, will try a burger instead of the steak which isnt too bad either.

After reading this thread I was craving a good burger, so I went to Stonehill tonight. Sat down looked at the menu and no burgers on the menu. They had a chicken burger, but no beef! So I guess since they changed over they no longer make a burger.

CMPunk
07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I had the 20 Napkin burger at Craft on Friday night and it was pretty damn good. If that's any indication, then the normal burgers should be just as good

Dan02
07-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Diner Deluxe has a nice burger. A great menu overall.

I really like Rocky's Burger Bus - my only complaint is the the patty isn't quite seasoned enough. It's actually a little bit on the bland side.

Agreed. I had one there a couple weeks ago, and the beef was super moist and well cooked, but I thought it was bland as hell, and I'm the type of person who doesn't put salt on anything. Hell, if you come to my place for dinner and ask for salt all you're gonna get is a blank stare, cause I don't own any.

DownInFlames
07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
After reading this thread I was craving a good burger, so I went to Stonehill tonight. Sat down looked at the menu and no burgers on the menu. They had a chicken burger, but no beef! So I guess since they changed over they no longer make a burger.

I just checked their website and they serve burgers in the tavern, but not the restaurant. I'm guessing you were on the wrong level.

InSutterWeTrust
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I just checked their website and they serve burgers in the tavern, but not the restaurant. I'm guessing you were on the wrong level.

Well now I feel like an idiot. I had assumed that it was the same menu. I was down in the restaurant! Thanks for the info, I will have to go back.

CaramonLS
07-18-2011, 08:36 PM

I got it 2 weeks ago for lunch - might be on their lunch menu only?

Redliner
07-19-2011, 12:09 AM
No love for Burger Inn? I haven't eaten there in a long time but it used to be pretty good.

Not truly a burger, but I have to put a shout out to Holy Smoke BBQ & Smoke Pit. Go there and get a Manwich - it will change your life.

NBC
07-19-2011, 07:28 AM
I heard Notable in Montgomery makes a top notch burger of the week.

Ruttiger
07-19-2011, 07:36 AM
This just makes me think

"I am from Calgary, I only eat the high end expensive burgers"

Think what you want. If you'd read through the whole thread you'll see that's far from the case.

3 Justin 3
07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Why not experiment and make your own? Buy some really fresh buns, some beef and do it yourself.

My mom made some tonight and they were fantastic, she made the patties with mushrooms inside them. Awesome!

Kybosh
07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
I agree with 3Justin3. Why not get your mom to experiment and make you some burgers?

Ruttiger
07-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Why not experiment and make your own? Buy some really fresh buns, some beef and do it yourself.

My mom made some tonight and they were fantastic, she made the patties with mushrooms inside them. Awesome!

Most restaurants frown on people bringing their own food.

Reaper
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Most restaurants frown on people bringing their own food.Because the poster was clearly talking about you packing your own lunch to bring to a restaurant. :rolleyes: herp derp

FakenHaken
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree with 3Justin3. Why not get your mom to experiment and make you some burgers?

Better yet get 3Justin3's mom to experiment and make you some burgers! She sounds pretty darn good at it. Maybe even Fotze's mom if she isn't to tired from running away from CP posters.

Fire
07-19-2011, 01:35 PM

I had a Medium burger in NY at Five Napkins (sp?). First off with all the juices flowing from it, it made me sick just looking at it, and the stomach did not enjoy it later that night. That was the last time I had a non-well done burger.

Ruttiger
07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Because the poster was clearly talking about you packing your own lunch to bring to a restaurant. :rolleyes: herp derp

Didn't think green text was necessary in my response.

The thread is clearly about eating out.....herp der.....ahhhh whatever

Reaper
07-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Didn't think green text was necessary in my response.

The thread is clearly about eating out.....herp der.....ahhhh whateverActually, this thread is titled "Best High-End Burger in Calgary."

There's no need to limit yourself to eating in restaurants to get the best one in town.

Time to man up, make your best burger and fire up the grill. If you're self sufficient you can make a better burger than most found in restaurants.

Sliver
07-19-2011, 02:03 PM
If you make your own burger, here's a tip: put a tablespoon of garlic butter in the center of the burger patty before you throw it on the BBQ. It melts throughout the burger and is so delicious. Plus it's super heart smart.

blankall
07-19-2011, 02:04 PM
I had a Medium burger in NY at Five Napkins (sp?). First off with all the juices flowing from it, it made me sick just looking at it, and the stomach did not enjoy it later that night. That was the last time I had a non-well done burger.

Medium is nothing. I had a medium rare burger in St. Louis. I figured everyone else was doing it so if it was that bad for you someone else would've gotten sick and sued by now.

csnarpy
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
If you are ever in Vegas then go to the Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay.

Hands down the best burger I've ever had is their Hubert Keller Burger, which is a Buffalo burger that you can have medium rare and is the by far the juiciest burger I've ever had.

http://www.burger-bar.com/lv_menu.php

as for Calgary.....I really like Five Guys and Crafts new burgers are damn good as well.

crazy_eoj
07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Vintage Chophouse used to have the best burger in town, but I haven't been in quite awhile so not sure how it stacks up anymore.

Dairy Lane has to have one of the very best around too. That pork burger is amazing!

Matty81
07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
They just opened a Carl's Jr here in Kelowna, so I went to give it a try and it was OK for a chain fast food burger. Definitely nothing to write home about IMO.

I know lots of you guys are in Kelowna in the summer, if you are I recommend hitting up Gorgeous George's burgers right downtown on the water. Owner minces his own beef in house and having talked to him I am totally cool with the food safety of eating his burgers (usually served on the rare side of medium, only sirloin no pork or lamb though if that's your thing). Just a little bit of sauce, great fresh bread, loads of cheeses to pick from and a huge portion of home style fries. Messy eating but the best we have to offer here.

Radio
07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
The Toad and Turtle makes 2 excellent burgers. The Wild Boar burger with a Rickards Dark and Spolumbos Sausage burger with a Rickards Red. Both are excellent.

Out of town. Ray's Hell burger in DC.

albertGQ
07-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I really enjoy the Chipotle Firecracker burger at Montana's

Byrns
07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
According to BT's panel the best burger is Boogie's.

http://icameforthefood.com/category/food-battles/

Daradon
07-19-2011, 10:09 PM
I really enjoy the Chipotle Firecracker burger at Montana's

Oh yeah, I tried that one, it's really good!

MRCboicgy
07-19-2011, 10:27 PM
First of all, they brought Carls Jr to Canada? That's just yucky. How about hooking us up with a Sonic north of the border?

I personally didn't enjoy Loungeburger at all. I went and read Urbanspoon after going there, and I understand why it gets 62% -- the burger was barely better than a Co-op frozen patty. The toppings and bun were good, but it did not impress. I much prefer Earls for sit down.

I wish red Robin's was back here. Banzai burger and all you can eat fries.

malcolmk14
07-19-2011, 10:32 PM
As much praise as Boogie's Burgers gets, I just can't stand that place. Don't know what it is, I just find it cheesy and the burgers aren't all that good, IMO.

Bane
07-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Sadly, the best burger I've had wasn't in Calgary. Surprisingly, it was at the restaurant in the Courtyard Marriott in Mississauga. Their chef is an artist! A nice big charbroiled burger with bacon, mushrooms, cheddar and the other usual topings.

Wormius
07-20-2011, 01:07 AM
As much praise as Boogie's Burgers gets, I just can't stand that place. Don't know what it is, I just find it cheesy and the burgers aren't all that good, IMO.

You can eat a Boog Mac, and feel good after.

InSutterWeTrust
07-20-2011, 07:31 AM
In the MGM Grand in Vegas I've been to the Rainforest Cafe, they have a tasty burger.

Hemi-Cuda
07-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Hands down the best burger I've ever had is their Hubert Keller Burger, which is a Buffalo burger that you can have medium rare and is the by far the juiciest burger I've ever had.

as for Calgary.....I really like Five Guys and Crafts new burgers are damn good as well.

KGB Burger at Harrah's is pretty good too. not exactly a high end burger, but good bang for the buck and all the waitress's dress like strippers so that's a bonus. plus they're 24/7, so when it's 4am and you're hammered it's a tasty way to end the night

Hemi-Cuda
07-20-2011, 07:44 AM

i've had Boogies once and it was pretty nasty. i had a double and it was the sloppiest burger i've ever eaten, it was impossible to keep the thing in one piece. the taste wasn't anything special either, certainly not worth the difficulty it took to stuff it down

fundmark19
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Paris hotel in vegas has a sports bar in it which has very good burgers

Komskies
07-20-2011, 08:46 AM

The Mirage also has a really good burger restaurant called BLT Burger (stands for Bistro Laurent Tourondel, the chef).

I had the Wagyu burger, and it was phenominal. The milkshakes are to die for too.

http://www.e2hospitality.com/blt-burger-las-vegas/eat-in-men/

Ruttiger
07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Just got back from lunch at Charcut.

Burger = 70% ground sausage and 30% beef - topped with white cheddar and carmelized onions. Definitely in the upper half of burgers on our quest so far - done well without being dry.

Now if you'll excuse me I need a nap.......

Boblobla
07-21-2011, 02:50 PM
The prime rib burger at the Sawridge in Fort Mac is a solid burger. They put pancetta (sp??) on it for peak deliciousness.

macker
07-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Monster Style Buger and Fries from Inn and Out is pretty high end. Used to be just Southern California that you could find Inn and Out but they are expanding like crazy and are everywhere from Las Vegas to Gilroy California and into Northern Nevada also. Maybe they will keep expanding North. You know you are eating garbage but it surprisingly doesn't leave you feeling like garbage as it is relatively fresh. After seeing Five Guys enter the Canadian market I wouldn't be surprised to see Inn and Out up here within the next five years. Prices are cheap also.

Hevishot
07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
This may not count as a high end burger but yesterday the line up at Five guys Airdrie was pretty long (20 deep) so me and the mrs decided lets try the Nathans Hot Dog Place. Turns out they have burgers there aswell and being in a burger mood I decided to give it a go. Do not under any circumstances no matter if your starving,high,or drunk consume one of their burgers. My insides dont like grade F beef and a nasty bun im assuming most of yours wont either.

Sainters7
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Inn and Out up here within the next five years.

I was just coming into this thread to say I was in Phoenix last week and finally had my first ever Inn&Out Burger, man is it tasty! Sloppy as hell too, I can see why people keep it in that wrapper.

Good thing they know I like em extra ssssloppy!

5bHGb6eoZPI

blankall
07-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Monster Style Buger and Fries from Inn and Out is pretty high end. Used to be just Southern California that you could find Inn and Out but they are expanding like crazy and are everywhere from Las Vegas to Gilroy California and into Northern Nevada also. Maybe they will keep expanding North. You know you are eating garbage but it surprisingly doesn't leave you feeling like garbage as it is relatively fresh. After seeing Five Guys enter the Canadian market I wouldn't be surprised to see Inn and Out up here within the next five years. Prices are cheap also.

I think the biggest thing holding back In N Out expansion is their dedication to never serving food that has been frozen. This means that all their restaurants must be located close to a franchise distrubution centre.

There are currently 258 locations (as of March 2011) with no location more than one day's drive from a regional distribution center. The company's dedication to fresh food is reflected in the adherence to never freezing their produce or meat patties. As the chain has expanded they have opened several distribution centers in addition to their original Baldwin Park location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_N_Out_Burger

So it's not just a matter of setting up a franchise location, the company has to decide to invade an entire region at a time. I think it will be a while before we see any In N Out locations in Calgary.

malcolmk14
07-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Just got back from lunch at Charcut.

Burger = 70% ground sausage and 30% beef - topped with white cheddar and carmelized onions. Definitely in the upper half of burgers on our quest so far - done well without being dry.

Now if you'll excuse me I need a nap.......

Did you take any pictures!?

Swayze11
07-21-2011, 06:51 PM
No love for Burger Inn? I haven't eaten there in a long time but it used to be pretty good.

Not truly a burger, but I have to put a shout out to Holy Smoke BBQ & Smoke Pit. Go there and get a Manwich - it will change your life.

2 great suggestions

macker
07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
I think the biggest thing holding back In N Out expansion is their dedication to never serving food that has been frozen. This means that all their restaurants must be located close to a franchise distrubution centre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_N_Out_Burger

So it's not just a matter of setting up a franchise location, the company has to decide to invade an entire region at a time. I think it will be a while before we see any In N Out locations in Calgary.

Didn't Five Guys have similar distrubution issues before they expanded up here? I remember reading something about this a couple years back. I think if the market is good enough they would put a distrubution center close enough to reach it and maybe not going to happen in the near future but who knows? They are expanding quickly and some of the current locations that they have expanded to aren't that far out of range. Besides any successful American company that wants rapid growth and to expand quickly can't ignore the Canadian market going forward.
http://eater.com/archives/2011/03/14/innouts-dallas-distribution-center-means-it-can-expand-to-12-states.php

MrMastodonFarm
07-21-2011, 07:11 PM
The prime rib burger at the Sawridge in Fort Mac is a solid burger. They put pancetta (sp??) on it for peak deliciousness.

Do they still do the Crab Leg Buffet Sunday nights?

Now that, that is a Buffet.

Five-hole
07-21-2011, 07:20 PM

Didn't some sports bar on Macleod Trail win a best burger contest for a Shrimp Burger?

That was Bill Bailey's, which closed in the spring. :( Their shrimp burger was, indeed, super delicious. $5 plate of pork dumplings on Wednesday nights was also awesome. Not much better than cheap awesome food and a Flames game on a hump day.

Now it's "Toscana". It's one of those locations that changes over every two years ... must be cursed.

Derek Sutton
07-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Paris hotel in vegas has a sports bar in it which has very good burgers

Mon Ami Gabbi...delicious

Derek Sutton
07-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Didn't Five Guys have similar distrubution issues before they expanded up here? I remember reading something about this a couple years back. I think if the market is good enough they would put a distrubution center close enough to reach it and maybe not going to happen in the near future but who knows? They are expanding quickly and some of the current locations that they have expanded to aren't that far out of range. Besides any successful American company that wants rapid growth and to expand quickly can't ignore the Canadian market going forward.
http://eater.com/archives/2011/03/14/innouts-dallas-distribution-center-means-it-can-expand-to-12-states.php
Wendys advertises that to, with irradiation techniques ground beef will stay "fresh" for several days. Save On Foods only sells this type of ground beef, not frozen does not mean "better" IMO.

Met a Regional Manager for Five Guys etc... in Moxies one night, had a good convo. None of their product is ever frozen, they get their buns couriered in daily, same with their ground beef. I asked him about not using Canadian potatoes, for quality/ marketing reasons they will only use potatoes from the 44th? (or something like that, Idaho) parallel.

Mtt48
07-21-2011, 08:12 PM
This may come as a bit of a surprise, but the burgers at Jamesons Pub in brentwood station are pretty darn good. Not the greatest burger out there, but a fantastic one nonetheless! Definitely the best "pub" burger in the city. Sorry if this isn't directly on point OP, but I thought it was relevant enough to post.

Rhetts_the_Best
07-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Greek Burger
from the broken plate

tete
07-22-2011, 01:53 PM
+1 for the burger at FARM (attached to Janice Beaton Cheese on 17th Ave SW). Just had one for lunch and it's delicious. Warning though, it's messy, very very messy.

Cecil Terwilliger
07-22-2011, 02:11 PM
My favorite is the Muff Burger. Available at all Fotze's mom locations.

Ruttiger
07-22-2011, 02:23 PM
+1 for the burger at FARM (attached to Janice Beaton Cheese on 17th Ave SW). Just had one for lunch and it's delicious. Warning though, it's messy, very very messy.

Usually the tip-off to a great burger.

Bobblehead
07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
This may come as a bit of a surprise, but the burgers at Jamesons Pub in brentwood station are pretty darn good. Not the greatest burger out there, but a fantastic one nonetheless! Definitely the best "pub" burger in the city. Sorry if this isn't directly on point OP, but I thought it was relevant enough to post.

Probably the same as the one in the NE location; it is called the Jamie Burger and it is a tasty 1/2 pound burger.

Reaper
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
My favorite is the Muff Burger. Available at all Fotze's mom locations.Sure, you think it's a muff burger then you open it up and it's a grilled cheese inside...

Ruttiger
08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Had the burger at Booker's Saturday night - average at best.

Ruttiger
11-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Any new ideas? Got another burger lunch to book and looking for new spots to try.

Jbo
11-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Local 522 had a decent burger when I had one the other day

Bill Bumface
11-22-2011, 02:53 PM

I second this. Blue Star Diner in Bridgeland is the exact same people/menu, and the burger holds up. It's amazing.

aaronck
11-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Went by Tommy Burger the other day, looks like it's closed down.

Icon
11-22-2011, 03:44 PM
While I wouldn't call it "high-end"... the grilled cheese comment above reminded me that I had the Grilled Cheese Burger at Original Joes last weekend. For a pub burger, was quite happy with it (the beer helped of course).

AR_Six
11-23-2011, 04:47 PM
This is an art form. I haven't really gone out of my way to find the holy grail of burgers in this city since I got here but I have had the burger at Dairy Lane. It was excellent but not all-time-great excellent. There must be better.

Five Guys is pretty mediocre.

CaramonLS
11-23-2011, 05:13 PM
@ LoungeBurger, they screwed up my order (asked for no mayo) - upon "correcting that error", it was the exact same burger, with a different bun. The burger was still dripping in Mayo.

malcolmk14
11-23-2011, 11:58 PM
The burger at Notable is pretty amazing, probably the best burger I've had, but I'm no burger expert. November's burger is local pork and wild boar though, I had October's which was a lamb and beef mix.

I've heard Dairy Lane makes a good burger.

Someone told me the other day that 1410 and 1600 make good burgers.

T@T
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Anyone that spends $20.00 on a burgar that's worth $3.00 at most is either lazy or stupid.

It's hamburger people, I don't care if it's made from AAA angus prime-rib it still only worth a couple of bucks.

The best burgars are the ones you make yourself.

Sr. Mints
11-24-2011, 12:39 AM
The best burgars are the ones you make yourself.

Word.

I remember planning to give Five Guys a try when this thread was in it's infancy. Maybe we'll do that this weekend.

AR_Six
11-24-2011, 09:03 AM
It's hamburger people, I don't care if it's made from AAA angus prime-rib it still only worth a couple of bucks.
First of all the cost of enough of that meat to make a burger would be somewhat more than a couple of bucks. Second, I am skeptical as to whether you've had a really, really good burger. I've made some pretty damned solid ones myself, but some places have it absolutely mastered.

That being said the best burger I have ever eaten was 12.95 with fries... but I'll pay 20 bucks for another in its league.

Bill Bumface
11-24-2011, 09:15 AM
The burger at Notable is pretty amazing, probably the best burger I've had, but I'm no burger expert. November's burger is local pork and wild boar though, I had October's which was a lamb and beef mix.

I've heard Dairy Lane makes a good burger.

Someone told me the other day that 1410 and 1600 make good burgers.

I have only had the November edition and was a little disappointed. Cool restaurant though!

Knalus
11-24-2011, 10:56 AM
It's been a year since I had it, but there was a Burger at Broken City with Avocado on it, and man was I surprised by the quality of it. Would be interested if someone else tried it, and would let me know if I was just remembering the beer or if it really was that good.

MaDMaN_26
11-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Chuckwagon Cafe in Turner Valley

This is probably the best one i have ordered in a restaurant... They did win some award I think.

Still I make the best burger I have ever had... Same with Steak assuming I go get a good cut from a butcher, I have yet to have a restaurant Steak or Burger that I could not make better at home.

THE SCUD
11-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Anyone that spends $20.00 on a burgar that's worth $3.00 at most is either lazy or stupid.

This is what poor people say to make themselves feel better.

DementedReality
11-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I had the best burger ever at a pub in Shanghai called the Boxing Cat Brewery. When I am at a PC I will post a link.

Unbelievable burger, worth the airfare. :-).

JiriHrdina
04-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Bump.
Some burger-related news.

Clive Burger is opening on 17th Avenue, sounds like they could be opening up within the next week or two.

Smash Burger is opening up 2 locations in Calgary, one on 32nd Avenue NE and one up in Country Hills. The 32nd Avenue spot sounds like they will be havening their sneak preview the first week of May.

Shameless plug time: Myself and a couple of friends have started a site to review all of Calgary’s burgers. www.burgerquest.ca (http://www.burgerquest.ca/). If you have any suggestions on places you want us to hit let us know.

Rathji
04-17-2012, 09:50 AM
What no RSS feed or mailing list?

I am left feeling like I just ate a Zeller's burger.

JiriHrdina
04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
What no RSS feed or mailing list?

I am left feeling like I just ate a Zeller's burger.

We are making improvements all the time. That stuff will come.

Tron_fdc
04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Rumour has it the new pub that just started where "Crush" used to be on 12th has a 20oz burger.

I've never been and I can't recall the name, but a buddy of mine was raving about it a few weeks back.

Rathji
04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Honestly, that is a really good idea.

I love Triple D and this kind of feeds that same thing for me.

malcolmk14
04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Rumour has it the new pub that just started where "Crush" used to be on 12th has a 20oz burger.

I've never been and I can't recall the name, but a buddy of mine was raving about it a few weeks back.

Pig and Duke has a 12 oz burger but I'm not sure they have a 20 oz one.

Apparently they do! http://pigandduke.com/web/manvspig.html

Komskies
04-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Craft Beer Market has a 20 napkin burger. My brother had one last time we went, but I think he used at most 10 to 12 napkins.

JiriHrdina
04-17-2012, 10:04 AM
The size of a burger is always an interesting debate. For me, a great burger has a balance of flavors, it isn’t just about having the biggest patty. If I want that I’ll just have meat loaf.

One of our goals on BQ is to find under-rated burgers. To that end, we hit a place yesterday that I hadn’t heard of before and didn’t even know existed. It isn’t a burger joint per say, but just a little eatery. They have, bar-none, the BEST burgers I’ve tasted in Calgary.

I’ll post here when that review is up.

malcolmk14
04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Notable's April burger is completely delicious.

Komskies
04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
It's all about the ratio of meat : other stuff. A burger can be massive, but with the incorrect meat ratio all is lost.

troutman
04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
What about Sliders?

Komskies
04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm quite fond of the slider trio from The Keg. Pretty damn delicious.

OldDutch
04-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Bump.

Clive Burger is opening on 17th Avenue, sounds like they could be opening up within the next week or two.

Smash Burger is opening up 2 locations in Calgary, one on 32nd Avenue NE and one up in Country Hills. The 32nd Avenue spot sounds like they will be havening their sneak preview the first week of May.

This angers me to no end. 2 locations and both are way up north? Just like south street burger co. Never tried cause its basically in Cochrane.

Maybe I'll make the trip up once to try, but as I am central, I wish some of these places would open near me!

I'll be watching the burger reviews though, I would love to know of a great central NW spot. Still haven't tried Dairy Lane due to 1 hour waits at 2:30 in the afternoon.

JiriHrdina
04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Dairy Lane is great, and the Blue Star Diner in Bridgeland serves the same burger. I've had it and it is excellent, just haven't had a chance to review it formally.

South Street is also in Signal Hill if that is closer for you.

undercoverbrother
04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Buchanans

all other pale in comparision

JiriHrdina
04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Buchanans

all other pale in comparision

Can't disagree. In fact, our Buchanans review is the next one to go up.

The fact you can ask for your burger to be cooked a certain way (e.g. medium) is a huge bonus.

Byrns
04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
This angers me to no end. 2 locations and both are way up north? Just like south street burger co. Never tried cause its basically in Cochrane.

Maybe I'll make the trip up once to try, but as I am central, I wish some of these places would open near me!

I'll be watching the burger reviews though, I would love to know of a great central NW spot. Still haven't tried Dairy Lane due to 1 hour waits at 2:30 in the afternoon.

If I'm not mistaken there's a new South Street Burger at Beacon Hill beside the Future Shop.

undercoverbrother
04-17-2012, 10:31 AM

The fact you can ask for your burger to be cooked a certain way (e.g. medium) is a huge bonus.

I believe it's 'cause the grind their own meat, but TBH, I have no confirmation of that. I am sure they would be happy to tell you if you asked.

Bigtime
04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm looking forward to trying Smashburger, close to work for me.

Hemi-Cuda
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
The size of a burger is always an interesting debate. For me, a great burger has a balance of flavors, it isn’t just about having the biggest patty. If I want that I’ll just have meat loaf.

One of our goals on BQ is to find under-rated burgers. To that end, we hit a place yesterday that I hadn’t heard of before and didn’t even know existed. It isn’t a burger joint per say, but just a little eatery. They have, bar-none, the BEST burgers I’ve tasted in Calgary.

I’ll post here when that review is up.

small suggestion, put a score in your reviews for price. that's probably the biggest determining factor when i consider a new place for repeat business. 5 guys was good, but quite expensive. i'll stick to my Rocky's Special with a massive burger, mountain of fries, and a coke for $9 flat

undercoverbrother
04-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Bump.

Shameless plug time: Myself and a couple of friends have started a site to review all of Calgary’s burgers. www.burgerquest.ca (http://www.burgerquest.ca/). If you have any suggestions on places you want us to hit let us know.

You should add you website to your sig.

Nice site, wish it was up and running when I lived in YYC.

DementedReality
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
I had the best burger ever at a pub in Shanghai called the Boxing Cat Brewery. When I am at a PC I will post a link.

Unbelievable burger, worth the airfare. :-).

to follow this up ... seriously the best burger you will ever have. the bun, the flavour, mmmmm

here is the link, i have no idea how to make the image smaller so I wont post the picture.

http://www.boxingcatbrewery.com/download/BCB-dinner%20and%20brunch%20menu.jpg

the actual website address:
http://www.boxingcatbrewery.com/en/food.html

Reaper
04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Anyone else laugh their ass off when they discovered that Tommy Burger had gone under?

undercoverbrother
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Anyone else laugh their ass off when they discovered that Tommy Burger had gone under?

nope they sucked more than a sucking thing in a sucking contest.

OldDutch
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken there's a new South Street Burger at Beacon Hill beside the Future Shop.

Thanks, but that is a solid 30 mins from downtown as well. I am looking for a Saturday quick in and out that is good. Like Five Guys.

Problem is the gourmet chains are way in the burbs. Leaving Peter's, Boogie, and the major chains as my options.

I have a toddler, and no way can I drive 30 mins and back for fast food. I need to be Ninja quick before tantrums start.

At least if they put these near a good mall it would help. 32nd NE is ok, but I have no value in Sunridge. Put them next to market mall, Chinook, Southcentre, and you'll have a customer for life!

Komskies
04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
I think Tommy was doomed from the start. There were so few tables in there, they would've had to turn them over 10+ times a night to make a decent profit.

Komskies
04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Burger Inn makes a pretty tasty burger. For a Calgary institution, and as somebody who has lived in Calgary for 25 years, I only tried it for the first time last summer.

JiriHrdina
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I believe it's 'cause the grind their own meat, but TBH, I have no confirmation of that. I am sure they would be happy to tell you if you asked.

That and the fact that it is 100% AAA Sirloin.
Basically ground top end steak.

Leapfrog
04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
I never understood the fascination with Peters. Milkshakes are decent...but the burgers and fries seem just average to me.

I enjoyed 5 Guys the few times I have tried them.

www.burgerquest.ca (http://www.burgerquest.ca/) looks like a good resource!

Jbo
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
I never understood the fascination with Peters. Milkshakes are decent...but the burgers and fries seem just average to me.

I enjoyed 5 Guys the few times I have tried them.

www.burgerquest.ca (http://www.burgerquest.ca/) looks like a good resource!

I've found the quality to have dropped a bit

Northendzone
04-17-2012, 03:41 PM
i stopped at peter's on saturday to treat my daughter and myself to a milkshake, and i decided to grab some fries and i was most disappointed. i have thought the fry offering at 5 guys was much better - but i sppose that is to be expected as it is likely my fries were cooked by one or two people at peter's, while at five guys, they are cooked by five guys.......

my milkshake was most tasty - and despite being a cool overcast day, peter's was jumping.

Northendzone
04-17-2012, 03:50 PM
......Shameless plug time: Myself and a couple of friends have started a site to review all of Calgary’s burgers. www.burgerquest.ca (http://www.burgerquest.ca/). If you have any suggestions on places you want us to hit let us know.

i just took a look at this website, and this is not a shameless plug jiri - you and your burger buddies are doing very important work by doing all this tasting and reviewing. i hope you travel from joint to joint in a very well appointed vehicle with a series of roof lights on it to alert joe driver to get out of your way.

i would love to see your review on the burger joint that is on the main drag in eureka, montana. the family and i stopped there several years ago and the place reminded me of pop tate's chokolit shoppe - all that was missing was archie and the gang.

valo403
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM

I would say that if you can't have your burger cooked medium the whole idea of it being even acceptable, let alone good, has gone out the window.

Top Shelf
04-17-2012, 04:00 PM

I cried because those garlic and sweet potato fries with that dip was heaven on earth. The burger...not so much

Top Shelf
04-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I am also in love with Alley Burger right now.

The Whole Truck burger is not the greatest either, but the Original Alley Burger....wow, love it!

Spragg Farm’s Pork and Roasted Garlic Sausage Patty Quebec Cheese Curds and Piri Piri Aioli

me_dennis
04-17-2012, 04:47 PM
you should check out bubba louie's burger bus on 51st ave 3rd St. SE.

Better than rocky's IMO

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1516298/restaurant/Southeast/Bubba-Louies-Burgers-Calgary

Wormius
04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
That and the fact that it is 100% AAA Sirloin.
Basically ground top end steak.

Just wanted to say that I liked your Burgerquest website, but it's not easily apparent what burger you guys were all testing.

For example, Laurier Lounge was obvious, but for Boogies Burgers I only found that Mr. Wunder Bun actually listed the burger he was reviewing.

JiriHrdina
04-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Just wanted to say that I liked your Burgerquest website, but it's not easily apparent what burger you guys were all testing.

For example, Laurier Lounge was obvious, but for Boogies Burgers I only found that Mr. Wunder Bun actually listed the burger he was reviewing.

That's a fair point - we'll make sure to outline which burger we got.

DownInFlames
04-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Pig and Duke has a 12 oz burger but I'm not sure they have a 20 oz one.

Apparently they do! http://pigandduke.com/web/manvspig.html

The website says 20 oz but the menu says 12 oz. My brother tried it last week and I'd say it's the latter. He said it was tasty but I think 20oz of beef would make for a better meat to bun ratio. It's only $20, and if you eat it in 40 minutes it's free, so it's worth a try.

saskflames69
04-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Harveys

It's high end compared to what we have here.

Aegypticus
04-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Jiri, you should check out the Kona Burger at Original Joe's if you haven't tried it yet. It isn't the single most calorie-laden item on the entire menu for nothing (1370 calories for just the burger!) Go to the Joe's on 130th if it's not too far out of your way. The service there is exceptional.

MrMastodonFarm
04-18-2012, 07:28 AM
I ate at Loungeburger the last Friday before Christmas of last year for lunch. I got pretty sick Christmas Eve, don't know if it was the burger or the calamari or maybe not even that... but haven't been back.

bradster57
04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I ate at Loungeburger the last Friday before Christmas of last year for lunch. I got pretty sick Christmas Eve, don't know if it was the burger or the calamari or maybe not even that... but haven't been back.

When Loungeburger first opened you could customize your burger but now you just get a few generic burgers, I don't go there anymore.

I like the burgerquest website. Similar to the reviewers, I hate frozen patties- especially the "cloverleaf" style. I can make much better burgers at home.

SeeBass
04-18-2012, 07:51 AM
As it should be mentioned again, I think Dairy lane and their other place in Bridgeland have the best burger going. I think the pork one is better than the meat to be honest.

RW99
04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
As it should be mentioned again, I think Dairy lane and their other place in Bridgeland have the best burger going. I think the pork one is better than the meat to be honest.

Yup, Dairy Lane burger with cheese is where it's at. I enjoy actually tasting the hamburger.

JiriHrdina
04-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. The list of places we want to hit is long.

The CBC Homestretch has given us a regular segment on their show for the next month or so. Our first segment aired yesterday afternoon, but you hear it here:
http://www.cbc.ca/homestretch/episode/2012/04/17/knights-of-the-round/

We are going to be on Tuesdays at 4:40 PM for the next 4 weeks reviewing some joints for them.

undercoverbrother
04-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Pork is not meat? What is the difference?

Table 5
04-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with a burger experience that's better than Rocky's Burger Bus. Sitting on a crappy old picnic table perched on a small hill in some random industrial part of town with an amazingly juicy burger and great fries..... Good times. Can't wait for them to open for the season.

Just saw your abysmal score for Rocky's, Jiri. That's an outrage. My rage has gone outside. The same score as Burger King? What the what?

JiriHrdina
04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with a burger experience that's better than Rocky's Burger Bus. Sitting on a crappy old picnic table perched on a small hill in some random industrial part of town with an amazingly juicy burger and great fries..... Good times. Can't wait for them to open for the season.

Just saw your abysmal score for Rocky's, Jiri. That's an outrage. My rage has gone outside. The same score as Burger King? What the what?

It simply isn't a good burger. No attention is paid to toppings or the bun. It simply a huge piece of beef on a bun. That for me is far from a perfect burger. I give them credit for using fresh meat, but that's about it.

Table 5
04-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Personally I like minimal toppings, and think the meat is the most important thing in a burger. Rocky's reminds of a great backyard bbq burger.

I don't find it terribly different than your #1 choice Five Guys (which I also love myself). But then again I don't pile on the toppings there either.

Table 5
04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Btw, if on your quest, you happen to find a Juicy Lucy in town, let us know. Still one of the most genius ideas ever though of by man (cheese placed into the middle of the patty so its melted when you bite into it). I had one of these at one of the great burger bars in St.Paul (The Nook) and it was one of the best burgers I've had in my life.

undercoverbrother
04-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Smash Burger is coming.

Have been to this in the US. Good burger.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/energy-resources/20Calgary/6472571/story.html

JiriHrdina
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Btw, if on your quest, you happen to find a Juicy Lucy in town, let us know. Still one of the most genius ideas ever though of by man (cheese placed into the middle of the patty so its melted when you bite into it). I had one of these at one of the great burger bars in St.Paul (The Nook) and it was one of the best burgers I've had in my life.

In that case...you'll like our next review (should go up Monday).

JiriHrdina
04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Smash Burger is coming.

Have been to this in the US. Good burger.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/energy-resources/20Calgary/6472571/story.html

We've got an invite to their sneak peak coming up so we'll be doing a quick review after that and then a full review later on. Obviously at the preview type of events restaurants can make sure they are serving up their very best, so we also want to see what they can do during a normal lunch rush, and if the quality holds up.

Anxious to try it though.

Table 5
04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Theres a juicy lucy in Calgary?? :w00t:

Name please.

undercoverbrother
04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
We've got an invite to their sneak peak coming up so we'll be doing a quick review after that and then a full review later on. Obviously at the preview type of events restaurants can make sure they are serving up their very best, so we also want to see what they can do during a normal lunch rush, and if the quality holds up.

Anxious to try it though.

hit their colorado burger. I think that is the one with green chillis as a topping......so so good.

FYI, I am jealous and hate you.

Bobblehead
04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I agree with Table 5. The meat patty is the most important thing yet it only counts for 30% of the overall score.

An idea: Jiri, if you want to make your site more unique how about allowing your visitors weight the value they put on each of the aspects you rate.

So right now you weight everything 30/30/30/10.

Let people decide how much weight to put on each category so they can then sort the results based on what is most important to them.

So if someone like Table 5 doesn't put many (or any) topping on their burger then they can adjust the rankings appropriately.

nik-
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
So who is going to help run the site when Jiri's heart explodes?

Russic
04-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Great idea for a project. I don't know what it is about 5 Guys... the price disappoints me every time. I would rather have 8 single burgers from DQ. I realize that's blasphemy in burger circles, but dammit I can't live this lie anymore.

Knalus
04-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I tried 5 guys, and the first time I was disappointed. I saw all their great toppings, and I over did it. Burger was a sloppy, fall apart mess. Next time I scaled down my toppings choices, and the burger was far better. Same issue with Boogie's burgers. Some places can handle two patties, other places really can't. That doesn't mean that the burger is less because it is made only to handle a certain number of toppings while another burger can handle more. Hard to rank these things, though.

bradster57
04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Great idea for a project. I don't know what it is about 5 Guys... the price disappoints me every time. I would rather have 8 single burgers from DQ. I realize that's blasphemy in burger circles, but dammit I can't live this lie anymore.

Jiri you should review the "99 cent TODAY ONLY" burger from DQ. I drive by the sign everyday but not once have dropped the 99 cents to experience it for myself. Is it any good?

undercoverbrother
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
You should also take a run at the hitchin' post down in High River once it warms up.

North East Goon
04-18-2012, 11:23 AM
The Yardhouse burgers were suprisingly good when I had them.

I hate burgers where you have to dislocate my jaw to get them in. I have poor mouthal clearance.

Didn't I hear about this burgerquest website the other night on some radio station?

How's the mouthal clearance for a foot long dog?

blankall
04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Jiri you should review the "99 cent TODAY ONLY" burger from DQ. I drive by the sign everyday but not once have dropped the 99 cents to experience it for myself. Is it any good?

I actually, for whatever reason, find DQ's basic hamburgers to be one of my favorite fast food burgers. I think it's the simplicity. The patties are decent tasting and they put mustard and ketchup on and not much else.

Yes, those signs are hilariosu though. They've been up for at least the past 5 years, possibly longer.

I also miss the 25cent hamburger days at McDonalds. Remember going there with my3 siblings and my parents would throw a bag full of 30 of them back at us in the minivan....ahhh the good old days. One step up from eating out of a troth.

North East Goon
04-18-2012, 11:33 AM
What about the 69 cent burger days @ DQ. You just have to stop then and grab 10.

getbak
04-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes, those signs are hilariosu though. They've been up for at least the past 5 years, possibly longer.
A lot longer than 5 years. I can remember in Jr High School in the late 80s going to DQ for their 99 cent burger deal. Unfortunately, they've just jacked up the prices of everything else on their menu to make up for it.

undercoverbrother
04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I actually, for whatever reason, find DQ's basic hamburgers to be one of my favorite fast food burgers. I think it's the simplicity. The patties are decent tasting and they put mustard and ketchup on and not much else.

I also miss the 25cent hamburger days at McDonalds. Remember going there with my3 siblings and my parents would throw a bag full of 30 of them back at us in the minivan....ahhh the good old days. One step up from eating out of a troth.

I miss the quater quarter pounders at Willy's.

One Friday a month you could roll in and get 4 burgers for a buck.

God bless

hkstylez
04-18-2012, 11:57 AM
SmashBurger should be pretty good when it opens up.

Misterpants
04-18-2012, 12:04 PM
I miss the quater quarter pounders at Willy's.

One Friday a month you could roll in and get 4 burgers for a buck.

God bless

One of the few times I've ever gotten food poisoning was from Willy's.

undercoverbrother
04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
One of the few times I've ever gotten food poisoning was from Willy's.

not to be prickish, but was it confirmed via tests that is came from Willy's?

I never had any issues, and i used to stroll to the one on Heritage and Fairmount once a week at least during high school.

Misterpants
04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
not to be prickish, but was it confirmed via tests that is came from Willy's?

I never had any issues, and i used to stroll to the one on Heritage and Fairmount once a week at least during high school.

Never confirmed, no. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic in saying that it was food poisoning, since it wasn't like I was hospitalized or anything. All I remember is eating a meal there and it not agreeing with me in the least. Plus it was the one in the NE that was always a grubby.

undercoverbrother
04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Never confirmed, no. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic in saying that it was food poisoning, since it wasn't like I was hospitalized or anything. All I remember is eating a meal there and it not agreeing with me in the least. Plus it was the one in the NE that was always a grubby.

I often found that they were spotty from location to location. The gasoline alley one in RD was very good, as was the one near Beaverbrook.
Never ate at the NE location.

tete
04-18-2012, 01:13 PM

I have a recipe if you'd like to make them yourself. AMAZING! America's test kitchen rocks for recipes like this.

Jiri, make sure you hit up Farm to review their burger. It'll lose points for sloppyness, but damn, I'm drooling thinking about it right now.

Wormius
04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
I tried 5 guys, and the first time I was disappointed. I saw all their great toppings, and I over did it. Burger was a sloppy, fall apart mess. Next time I scaled down my toppings choices, and the burger was far better. Same issue with Boogie's burgers. Some places can handle two patties, other places really can't. That doesn't mean that the burger is less because it is made only to handle a certain number of toppings while another burger can handle more. Hard to rank these things, though.

I think Boogies are capable of being eaten without too much messiness, but the Five Guys stuff is almost impossible without having to pick up fallen toppings from your tray.

Peter's gets a lot of grief, but I think its a nice burger. It is very reminiscent of a place in Kelowna called Burger Baron as far the patty and bun texture go, except that Burger Baron has a lot more varieties of burger toppings and milkshakes.

Anyway, I am not sure if the thread title is accurate anymore as we venture outside of high-end establishments for reviews.

MRCboicgy
04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
And a roadtrip to Edmonton for Red Robins.

JiriHrdina
04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
And a roadtrip to Edmonton for Red Robins.

Yeah we've talked about doing a day-long Burger Blitz roady where we hit up 6-10 burger joints between Red Deer and Edmonton and then back the other way. Probably going to do it in the summer.

I think Edmonton's has Fuddruckers too - so that would be on the list.

Komskies
04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah we've talked about doing a day-long Burger Blitz roady where we hit up 6-10 burger joints between Red Deer and Edmonton and then back the other way. Probably going to do it in the summer.

Bring some Gas-X and air freshener!

Byrns
04-18-2012, 03:52 PM

I think Edmonton's has Fuddruckers too - so that would be on the list.

I think they've closed them.

Hemi-Cuda
04-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Rocky's is open all year round, not sure what you mean by season. even when it's -20 a buddy and i will still hit it and eat in the car. and i totally agree, the meat is 90% of what makes a burger great, buns and toppings are simply there as garnish. that's the primary reason i suggested Jiri make a price section for their reviews, as i doubt anyplace can beat Rocky's for bang-for-your-buck

Flaming Choy
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm a big fan of "Chuckwagon Cafe" out in Turner Valley, if you're up for a drive.

JiriHrdina
04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm a big fan of "Chuckwagon Cafe" out in Turner Valley, if you're up for a drive.

Yeah we've heard from a few people about this joint - we will hit it in the summer.

darockwilder
04-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Might as well hit "Marv's" in Black Diamond on the way for an Elvis burger

DownInFlames
04-21-2012, 09:17 AM
It simply isn't a good burger. No attention is paid to toppings or the bun. It simply a huge piece of beef on a bun. That for me is far from a perfect burger. I give them credit for using fresh meat, but that's about it.

I like the site and what you're trying to do, but I too have a problem with your review of Rocky's, and your scoring system in general. I think there's no way the bun and toppings should have equal billing with the meat.

I took your scores and adjusted them so that the bun and toppings are worth 20 each, the meat is 50, and atmosphere stays at 10. I then compared Burger King and Rocky's, which got basically the same scores, assuming that your reviews of the individual components were correct.

Burger King went from 63 54 58 to 54 42 55. Rocky's went from 62 54 58 to 71 65 68.

I still think you were too hard on Rocky's about their toppings, but these new scores come closer to how I would rate these burgers.

I look forward to your future reviews, even if I have to do some math.

Bane
04-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Finally got around to trying a burger from 5 Guys Burgers. Decent burger all round, but its the cajun fries that I found addictive. The must add heroin to the seasoning.

I give the burger an 7/10. Not sure if its worth the $15 for the burger/fries/drink combo though.

octothorp
04-22-2012, 12:15 AM

Yup. In the immortal words of Ron Swanson: "This is hamburger. It is made of meat and served on a bun with nothing else. You can put ketchup on it if you want. I don't care."