PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Movie Club

KTrain
07-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Looks like Shaw Movie Club is live now. $12 a month for unlimited video streaming.

The Movie Club by Shaw features unlimited access to hundreds of the best Hollywood hit movies. Watch as many as you want, instantly on your TV — the only limit is the number of hours in your day. And with titles being added monthly, you’ll never run out.

The movies are much newer than Netflix, but it doesn't have TV shows. I might cancel the movies package on my Shaw and give this a go. The selection is pretty good.

http://vod.shaw.ca/subscription/movie_club/

Komskies
07-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Looking at that list of movies, they don't seem any more recent than the free movies offered through Movie Central in VOD.

Pass for now. It'll be interesting to see how current they're able to keep it.

Hockeyguy15
07-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Looks pretty good...Movie Central on Demand doesn't stay free forever, the selection changes every month.

Mass_nerder
07-07-2011, 02:24 PM
way better selection than netflix.

Rathji
07-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Is there an app so I can watch it on my ipod, phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, or refrigerator?

kermitology
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Is there an app so I can watch it on my ipod, phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, or refrigerator?

No, no, not yet (:ph34r:), yes, yes, put a laptop in your refrigerator!

I think if you look closely there are HD titles, but neither the apps or the website handle them right now.

IMO it's not worth it if you already have Movie Central, most of the movies are Movie Central movies.

P.S. Movie Club is a bad word on my team.

kevman
07-07-2011, 05:28 PM
way better selection than netflix.

Unless I'm missing something I only see 157 movies at the moment all of which are blockbusters that I'm sure a lot of people have already seen.

Netflix, even in Canada, has hundreds of movies with many options outside of Hollywood's best boxoffice hits.... Not to mention it's cheaper and offers TV shows.

Kudos to Shaw for attempting to adapt however!

Rathji
07-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Unless I'm missing something I only see 157 movies at the moment all of which are blockbusters that I'm sure a lot of people have already seen.

Netflix, even in Canada, has hundreds of movies with many options outside of Hollywood's best boxoffice hits.... Not to mention it's cheaper and offers TV shows.

Kudos to Shaw for attempting to adapt however!

And thats a problem? Would you rather have 3rd rate movies?:blink:

TurnedTheCorner
07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Hmm, $12/month does seem better than the premium channels. But why would it be priced at such a premium to Netflix, especially when there are no TV shows?

Rathji
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Hmm, $12/month does seem better than the premium channels. But why would it be priced at such a premium to Netflix, especially when there are no TV shows?

I am not sure how it works, but if I am thinking of it right, it shouldn' t consume bandwidth if you are watching it on your TV, so you don't need an increased internet package to accommodate it. Of course viewing through a browser would be the same as netflix and consume bandwidth.

Can anyone confirm that?

For me, I am thinking it will replace my movie channels and save me a few bucks a month.

Esoteric
07-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I can't watch "Megashark versus Crocosaurus" on the Shaw Movie Club.

Looks like Netflix is here to stay.

CubicleGeek
07-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I am not sure how it works, but if I am thinking of it right, it shouldn' t consume bandwidth if you are watching it on your TV, so you don't need an increased internet package to accommodate it. Of course viewing through a browser would be the same as netflix and consume bandwidth.

Can anyone confirm that?

Correct, it is separate from your internet data usage. You can have Movie Club without internet service, for instance.

Coys1882
07-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I think Shaw is charging $12.99 because they are banking on a large customer base (like my parents) that want a service like this but don't even begin to know how to access Netflix.

fundmark19
07-15-2011, 02:01 PM
And it will count towards your data cap. Shaw missed the boat on this one

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Shaw+movie+service+count+toward+data+plan/5109625/story.html

Title of article is tricky it will count if you watch it on your computer. On your tv is still free

Cscutch
07-15-2011, 02:43 PM
And it will count towards your data cap. Shaw missed the boat on this one

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Shaw+movie+service+count+toward+data+plan/5109625/story.html

Title of article is tricky it will count if you watch it on your computer. On your tv is still free

Actually that is a good thing... Net Neutrality should be maintained.

kermitology
07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Movie club delivered to the set top doesn't count towards any data usage as far as I know. This story is so muddled.

Even if it didn't count at all, why is this a problem? This is a service for Shaw subscribers. It's not open to other ISPs, so why would it be a problem if Shaw content doesn't count towards data caps?

fredr123
07-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Looking at that list of movies, they don't seem any more recent than the free movies offered through Movie Central in VOD.

Pass for now. It'll be interesting to see how current they're able to keep it.

You only get "free" movies on Movie Central VOD if you subscribe to Movie Central already. Might be a bit redundant if you already have MC but for those of us that don't, it's a different story.

badradio
07-17-2011, 07:18 PM
How much is it to subscribe to movie central compared to movie club?

Rathji
07-17-2011, 08:07 PM
How much is it to subscribe to movie central compared to movie club?

I think all the movie channels are 20 bucks?

fredr123
07-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Movie Central or Super Channel can be added for $17/month according to the Shaw Personalizer. With either package, you get four SD movie channels and two HD movie channels.

When you select Movie Central, one of the four SD channels is HBO Canada and one of the HD channels is also HBO Canada.

When I had MC a few years ago, there was no additional cost to get the HD channels so long as you had the HD equipment and already subscribed to the SD channels. I have no idea if this is still the case.

fredr123
07-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Browsing for information about the availability of Shaw Movie Club, I came across this in an FAQ on the Shaw Gateway Experience page:

http://www.shaw.ca/Gateway/Support/
15. What is the Movie Club by Shaw? (http://www.shaw.ca/Gateway/Support/#)

The Movie Club by Shaw is a subscription-based option that gives you unlimited access to hundreds of movies for $12 per month. Choose from recent releases, popular favourites and all-time classics — there is no limit to how many you can watch.
The Movie Club by Shaw is available 24/7/365, and you can watch movies instantly on your television or online whenever you want. It lets you pause, rewind and fast-forward movie scenes — just like you do on a DVD player.
With the Movie Club, you also have access to thousands of movies and TV series on Shaw Video On Demand, including new releases. Just pay for what you pick.
Currently, the Movie Club by Shaw is available exclusively through the Shaw Gateway Experience.