PDA

View Full Version : iMac Help

GoinAllTheWay
07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Have a question for the Apple people. My g/f bought an iMac a while back and is having a problem moving pics from the Mac onto our WHS. She selects a large group of photos to move and attempts to drag and drop into the shared photo folder on the server. When the status bar gets to the end you here a "boing" type sound and only about 20% of the pics actually make it. This is being done over wireless.

Any idea what the issue is?

Barnes
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Have a question for the Apple people. My g/f bought an iMac a while back and is having a problem moving pics from the Mac onto our WHS. She selects a large group of photos to move and attempts to drag and drop into the shared photo folder on the server. When the status bar gets to the end you here a "boing" type sound and only about 20% of the pics actually make it. This is being done over wireless.

Any idea what the issue is?

Try a smaller number of pictures? From where are you copying?

Probably an HFS+ to the "whatever file system WHS uses" issue. I assume it is based on NTFS and while Mac OS plays okay with NTFS, there are some limitations. It might be easier to go to a FAT formatted external and then copy to the server.

GoinAllTheWay
07-05-2011, 11:11 AM
As far as I know, she is simply trying to copy them directly out of iPhoto. Don't know a ton about Macs tbh. The external drive would be formatted to FAT by a PC or the Mac?

CKPThunder
07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Try exporting the photo's from iphoto to the WHS instead of dragging and dropping.

Barnes
07-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Ah..

iPhoto is probably the problem. It stores all of the photo's and related thumbs, metadata, originals, etc into a single library file. Dragging and dropping from the iTunes interface is not like dragging and dropping files and directories.

Is it an HP WHS? What version?

GoinAllTheWay
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I built the WHS myself from an old gaming rig. All up to date as far as I now. It's not the 2011 version but the one before it. I will tell her to try exporting as per Barne's suggestion instead of dragging and dropping.

Thanks guys, I'll let ya know how that works out.

GoinAllTheWay
07-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Try exporting the photo's from iphoto to the WHS instead of dragging and dropping.

That did the trick! Thanks a ton!