PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to TV

Hockey
06-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Simple question: What do I need to hook my laptop up to my TV? so I can watch stuff from my laptop on my TV.

Thank you for any help as I look forward to hearing what I need to hook my laptop up to my TV/

To Be Quite Honest
06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
an HDMI cable
or
VGA cable
or
DVI cable

Mini plug male audio cable
miniplug on computer to mini plug on monitor/tv.

Hockey
06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
an HDMI cable
or
VGA cable
or
DVI cable

Mini plug male audio cable
miniplug on computer to mini plug on monitor/tv.

How much do these things go far? Does it matter what kind of laptop or TV i have?

To Be Quite Honest
06-17-2011, 12:07 AM
How much do these things go far? Does it matter what kind of laptop or TV i have?

Depends on what you need. Look here for more aid to figure out what you specifically need for your laptop model.

http://www.lookhereforwhatyouspecificallyneed.ca/ (http://www.google.ca/)

TSXCman
06-17-2011, 12:10 AM
monoprice for hdmi if you can wait ($2ish per 6-15 foot cables)

amazon sometimes has some $5 ones that are quicker

Rathji
06-17-2011, 06:55 AM
2 Questions you need to answer before you can get a direct answer
- What open inputs are there to your TV? (or give us the model)
- What video outputs are there on your laptop (or give us the model)

blankall
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
There are options with networking as well. If your tv has networking or you own a PS3 and you have wireless on your laptop, you can accomplish it without cords. You'll also get the best picture and sound quality this way.

YouTube videos will help you out.

WilsonFourTwo
06-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Heads Up - the PS3 has known problems streaming data via wireless, and they aren't going away. Google "PS3 Wireless Stuttering".

It drove me NUTS for months. Eventually I just moved my wireless router and did a wired connection to the PS3......life is SO good. The interface is really *meh* but the results are fantastic.

Hack&Lube
06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
2 Questions you need to answer before you can get a direct answer
- What open inputs are there to your TV? (or give us the model)
- What video outputs are there on your laptop (or give us the model)

This. You need to give us the model of your TV and the model of your laptop for anybody to help you.

Hockey
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Samsung TV

Acer laptop

fundmark19
06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
There are thousands of each of those brands we need model numbers or inputs please

Hockey
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
I thought so. I will have to look that up when I get home.

Hockey
06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Another I plan on using it on 2 different TV's. Will that factor into my decision?

To Be Quite Honest
06-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Do you have a HDMI connection on your laptop? Your samsug if it's a flat lcd or plasma will have it.

Usually on the back or on the side of the laptop. Google the names I put above and match them up. It's really that easy.

Samsung uses hdmi and VGA.

Laptops use VGA and HDMI usually.

HDMI should have sound with it and VGA does not so you will need a male mini plug for your audio (headphone jack) to the back of the samsung.

Presto your done.

Google the names of the thing listed above so you know what might be needed.

Hack&Lube
06-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Another I plan on using it on 2 different TV's. Will that factor into my decision?

Again, depends on what TVs and what laptop you have. People cannot give you any advice if you provide no actual information. If your TVs have different inputs, then yes it does matter.