PDA

View Full Version : iPod FM transmitter or AUX cable

red sky
06-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I am looking at buying an affordable iPod FM transmitter for my car. Any recommendations? I am not looking at spending a lot of money on this. On the other hand, what is the going rate for having an AUX cable installed in the car?

Thanks!

WilsonFourTwo
06-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Honestly, the FM transmitter route is terrible. I tried three different ones before finally giving up. Signal is poor, sound is lousy and they're a real hassle.

I've been using an AUX input for the last few years.....WAY easier. Frankly, you can probably get an el cheapo stereo deck (with AUX) for around the same as a quality FM transmitter.

MickMcGeough
06-10-2011, 09:03 AM
I use a line out cable on mine - if you have a head unit that supports it, that's the way to go.

Coach
06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Agree with Wilson. I've gone through so many crappy FM transmitters (some of which I spent up to $100 on) and theyre all garbage. My next purchase is a new deck with an AUX input.

Nammer403
06-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Ive had an Belkin FM transmitter for about 3 years now and Its been good, now and then itll cut out but not often, i spent about 50 bucks for it, regular price used to be 130ish

Russic
06-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I had future shop install an aux input for around $100. Totally worth it. There is a very minor amount of interference from time to time, but nothing like an fm transmitter.

red sky
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
So does that cable come out of the glove box?

Prototype
06-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I've had no problems with my Monster FM Transmitter, then again, I didn't pay Monster price either.

If you do go the FM route... do not get something that requires AA Batteries. I learned the hard way.

fundmark19
06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I had future shop install an aux input for around $100. Totally worth it. There is a very minor amount of interference from time to time, but nothing like an fm transmitter.

What kind of car are you driving russic? I have been thinking about doing this as well

OldDutch
06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I've had no problems with my Monster FM Transmitter, then again, I didn't pay Monster price either.

If you do go the FM route... do not get something that requires AA Batteries. I learned the hard way.

Same here. EBay has tons of those $150 units for $50 or less. Just make sure the guy is in the US and comes with original packaging.

It works perfect in one of my cars, but the other one it sounds like crap. Really hit or miss.

Mazrim
06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
I spent my Ralphbucks on a direct connection to my stereo for my iPod, and it's the best purchase I've ever made. Sound quality is as good as you can get. I used a Belkin FM Transmitter before that and was disappointed by it.

DownhillGoat
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
FM Transmitters in my experience are complete and utter garbage.

If your deck doesn't support an aux in and you want to do things on the cheap, get an FM Modulator.

Example from crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.ca/Scosche_FMMOD02_FM_Modulator_w_RCA_Inputs_On_Off_p/142fmmod02.htm)

It still goes through FM so the sound isn't as good as a deck with a line in, but it's not bad. It hardwires to your FM antenna on your stock deck so you don't get interference from other cars with FM transmitters.

I picked up a sirius FM modulator that I may still have in my pile 'o electronics and wires if you're interested.

- - - edit - - -

Just looked at the future shop site. For $50 I'm assuming all they're installing is an FM modulator. I can't see them hacking apart wiring harnesses to get an ipod connection...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ipod-interface-install/10059115.aspx?path=6d587b5c94a9715acc274dd2e5bd603 cen02

Also, what's 'not a lot of money'? You can probably update the head unit to something with an audio in for under $150 if you install it yourself.

What kind of car?

fundmark19
06-10-2011, 02:06 PM
So for 50 bucks that seems better then buying new head unit. Anyone know if it is infact just an fm modulator? If so whats downsides to one? I have a trip to bc in a week and wouldn't mind getting something hooked up

return to the red
06-10-2011, 03:13 PM
So does that cable come out of the glove box?

I've got my cable coming out of the glove box in my Truck but I'm going to switch that to my center console because my cable won't charge the new generation of ipod so I have to disconnect and charge about every 2 days or so.:mad:

I should mention this may not be the case with all aux outputs as I have an Alpine IVA W-205 with the alpine cable so I can control the ipod from the deck itself

Russic
06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
What kind of car are you driving russic? I have been thinking about doing this as well

2007 Matrix. The guy who installed it at Future Shop just looked around for a place to install it and found a hatch that appears to be designed to hold a phone or wallet (centre console at the bottom). It's the same setup as Kunkstyle... it overtakes a radio frequency. Unit was about $50 as was the install for a $100 total.

The downsides are that if an fm transmitter is a 50 and a new deck with dedicated aux input is 100, it's about a 90. I get an annoying bit of feedback in mine about once a month for about a minute. It isn't perfect but I feel for the money it's the perfect situation. It's only a few dollars more than the fm transmitter garbage but is quite a bit cheaper than slightly better units.

I did it for the exact same reason as you, I was heading on a BC road trip and HATED how with my FM transmitter I had to fight to find a frequency that didn't have interference through the mountains.

metallicat
06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
The only good FM transmitter I've ever used, was the built in one on my XM MyFi that I had years ago. It was amazing. Since I've gone to AUX though, I've been thrilled. I'm never without an AUX cable.

Hanni
06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
This thread reminded me of using one of these back in the day with a cd player.

http://www.ejetsupermarket.com/images/5%20for%20naan.jpg

sclitheroe
06-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm still a big fan of FM transmitters because I can turn any radio into external speakers (ie. in the garage, camping, etc).

Also, my car is noisy enough that anything above AM sound quality is fine :bag:

The belkin tunecast is the best I've found so far: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/belkin-belkin-tunecast-universal-fm-transmitter-f8m066ttp-f8m066ttp/10154624.aspx?path=5229c38baba5d16e7e77593e55defe3 1en02

So I'm not recommending an FM transmitter as a first choice, but if you do want one, that one works acceptably (and I've had some terrible ones by comparison)

3 Justin 3
06-10-2011, 09:42 PM
A good FM Transmitter will be around $70. A decent deck with aux will be around $100 depending on what you get.

Spend the tad extra and get the new deck. That's what I am doing, not worth it for another FM Transmitter.

Buzzard
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I've gone through 3 or 4 transmitters. I've paid up to a hundred bucks for a couple of them and they've all stunk.....except this one. The cheapest, most unlikely to succeed unit from Crappy Tire has performed the best for me. I tried the pricier ones, wasn't impressed so thought what the hell, try this cheap one based on the decent reviews. It's regular price is $34, but I got it on sale for $12. I have seen it as low as $9 though, and I see them on sale often. The only disadvantage I've found is the 3 or 4 pre-set frequencies you use which really hasn't been an issue. I've used and abused it for probably a year now and still works fine.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/7/Electronics/AudioEquipment/iPodAccessories/PRD~0374465P/Digipower%252BiPod%252BNavigator.jsp?locale=en (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/7/Electronics/AudioEquipment/iPodAccessories/PRD%7E0374465P/Digipower%252BiPod%252BNavigator.jsp?locale=en)

Torture
06-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I installed an AUX input in my car for about $100 - best money I ever spent.

No fumbling around with stations, better quality, reliable, and your friends can plug their phones/ipods in to it as well (which may or may not be a good thing depending on their taste in music :D)

Yasa
06-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Can an aux cord be installed in any vehicle? Say...a 2005 mazda 6? Hypotethically, that is.

DownhillGoat
06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Not every vehicle can accept them (unless you're talking the FM modulator aux in).

I did some hypothetical googling and it looks like there's some workarounds for your hypothetical car.

Products:
http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/
http://www.therpmstore.com/store/p/134.html

Forum topics:
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/98-mazda6/55220-connect-ipod-mazda-6-a.html
http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-electronics/142479-2005-6-bose-radio.html

IMO, if it's going to run you more than $50, go with a new HU instead. An entry level Kenwood HU with an aux in is $89. Tack on $30 for the bracket and wiring harness and you're in business.

Yasa
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Now I have to figure out how to open the head unit...to the google mobile!

Edit: I mean...hypothetical head unit...

3 Justin 3
06-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Just buy a new deck. For my Cobalt since my unit is a double I need to buy some adapter where I put that in, then the deck because the deck is slimmer (a single). Costs like $20 extra.

Superflyer
06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I have been told that FM transmitters are bad in a city, like Calgary, since there are so many radio stations fighting for the air but if you go out to the country where you have only a couple of stations they work better. Can anyone comment on this?

DownhillGoat
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I have been told that FM transmitters are bad in a city, like Calgary, since there are so many radio stations fighting for the air but if you go out to the country where you have only a couple of stations they work better. Can anyone comment on this?
They're also better out in the country because there aren't 200,000 cars using FM transmitters...

Sound quality still suffers though. You just get less static and don't have guys over-riding your signal out in the country.

ken0042
06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
The other issue is when you pass too close to a Shaw box; you get a flood of FM frequencies coming from there too.

sclitheroe
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
100.3 mhz is my secret weapon in the city.

:)