PDA

View Full Version : It’s official: Mayweather announces september fight with victor ortiz

Travis Munroe
06-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I dont see it any where but please correct me if I am wrong.
After turning down 65 mill to fight Pacquiao he has signed for a sept fight

As we all know, the Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight is not happening, Pacquiao has a fight lined up with his longtime nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez for November of 2011 but Floyd Mayweather officially announced his comeback today via his Twitter account.

Floyd “Money” Mayweather announced on his Twitter account Tuesday, June 7, 2011 that he will fight tough WBC welterweight champion “Vicious” Victor Ortiz on September 17th.

“My fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept-17 2011 for the WBC World Championship.” @FloydMayweather

This will be Floyd Mayweather’s first fight in 2011 since taking some time off from boxing after his win over Sugar Shane Mosley on May 1, 2010.

Victor Ortiz defeated Andre Berto for the WBC welterweight title in an exciting action packed fight. Ortiz will be a tough challenge for Mayweather. Like Manny Pacquiao, Ortiz is a southpaw with punching power and in his fight with Andre Berto, he showed that he can be aggressive and press the fight.

At 34-years-old, Floyd Mayweather will be giving up 10 years in age to the 24-year old champion Victor Ortiz.

Travis Munroe
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Floyd also denies that he was ever offered 65 mill for a Pacquiao fight!!

The Yen Man
06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
It's too bad the guy is too scared to fight Pacquiao. That would be an awesome match to watch.

FlamingLonghorn
06-07-2011, 01:42 PM
It's too bad the guy is too scared to fight Pacquiao. That would be an awesome match to watch.

I don't think he is scared. He started requiring his opponents to follow the USADA protocol in a few fights before Pacqiao and him were talking. Why won't Manny agree to the same protocol that Mosley and Ortiz had no hesitation agreeing to when they fought/are fighting Mayweather?

I also give Mayweather credit for fighting young rising stars instead of retreads and has-beens.

valo403
06-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't think he is scared. He started requiring his opponents to follow the USADA protocol in a few fights before Pacqiao and him were talking. Why won't Manny agree to the same protocol that Mosley and Ortiz had no hesitation agreeing to when they fought/are fighting Mayweather?

I also give Mayweather credit for fighting young rising stars instead of retreads and has-beens.

Mayweather has no interest in fighting Pacquiao and has done everything he can to make it look like he's not simply ducking the fight, when that's exactly what he's doing.

FlamingLonghorn
06-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Mayweather has no interest in fighting Pacquiao and has done everything he can to make it look like he's not simply ducking the fight, when that's exactly what he's doing.

Maybe he is, but I don't understand why Pacquiao won't agree to the drug testing protocol? Don't give me the excuse that it's going to make him weaker to draw blood before the fight. Mayweather would do the same thing. Although, I guess Pacquiao isn't the brightest person, wanting to ban condoms in his homeland, but that is a weak excuse.

kdogg
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Last I've heard that Pacquiao has basically agreed to everything Mayweather asked for testing. Mayweather next excuse that he wanted a break from boxing.

I could be wrong though.

I really think Mayweather has too much pride to suffer a loss on his record, rather than get a huge pay cheque.

Travis Munroe
06-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I honestly thing we will see the mega fight after the both fight in september (assuming they both win)
Floyd is always talking about how he knows he can get more money for this fight. No one ever thought it would reach 50 mill and as it sits today both fighters have been offered well over 50 mill. Floyd talks about hitting the 100 mill point. There are billionaires in different parts of the world all trying to put it on. If they come together and increase the purse then I think we might just see it happen.
I know its greed but if Floyd is going to risk a loss to Manny then he will want to suffer the following years with a ridiculous amount of money.

Slava
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
This should be pretty interesting. A 19 month layoff for Mayweather and he's not exactly taking an easy fight. I do want to see him fight Manny, but I don't think that we'll ever see it.

Bertuzzied
06-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Last I've heard that Pacquiao has basically agreed to everything Mayweather asked for testing. Mayweather next excuse that he wanted a break from boxing.

I could be wrong though.

I really think Mayweather has too much pride to suffer a loss on his record, rather than get a huge pay cheque.

that is completely true. Besides Pacquiao-Mayweather would be totally boring. Floyd Burrows would run away faster than Usain Bolt from the pacman.

I also hope that Pacquiao never fights him so Mayweather can't get his payday.

The Yen Man
06-09-2011, 01:56 PM

One of the main criticisms for Mayweather's record is because he fights has-beens and no name guys to protect his 0 losses record.

And yes, Pacquiao agreed to the drug thing, and then Mayweather makes up another excuse to avoid the fight. The guy is too scared of tarnishing his inflated 0 losses record to risk losing to Pacquiao.

Bertuzzied
06-09-2011, 02:16 PM

that couldn't be further from the truth.

He has fought 2 young rising stars in his 41 fights! Ricky Hatton and Diego Morales.

Also he was scared of hell of Cotto and wouldn't even go into negotiations with him.

and we all know what Pacquaio did to Hatton and Cotto.

kdogg
06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I thought this was interesting about Pacquio's last fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=dw-wetzel_pacquiao_prime_opponents_mosley_mayweather_ bradley_vegas_050911

Mosley was the second of Pacquiao’s last three opponents to enter the ring and not even attempt to win. Fourteen months ago Joshua Clottey covered up for 12 rounds. Even after he was shut out on the scorecard, Clottey lifted his arms in triumph and posed for pictures with his team. The goal was to survive, not actually box.

Before you blame Clottey and Mosley, consider what happened to the last several guys who decided to stand and trade with Manny:

Antonio Margarito, pummeled repeatedly, broken orbital bone, sent to hospital, career in jeopardy. Miguel Cotto, pummeled repeatedly, TKO’d, sent to hospital. Ricky Hatton, knocked out cold, sent to hospital, hasn’t fought since. Oscar De La Hoya, pummeled repeatedly, TKO’d, sent to hospital, hasn’t fought since. David Diaz, pummeled repeatedly, TKO’d, sent to hospital.

Mayweather is scared. I think people look at his career now and say, he may have a perfect record, but he was too scared to fight Pacquiao.

Bertuzzied
06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Well in the shobox 360 aftermath it showed Mosely in between rounds pleading with his corner to stop the fight! hahahaha

troutman
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't know that Mayweather is scared. 1-2 years ago I read some boxing experts to say that Mayweather would beat Manny. Now, he is 34.

SuperMatt18
06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
As good as Pac-Man is, he has never fought anybody on Mayweather's level.

Pacquiao has fought a lot of slower, stronger fighters recently and those guys are good matches for him because he is much faster and they can't match his speed and power.

Pacquiao has been really good at picking his fights recently and once again picked an aging opponent for his next fight with Marquez.

A fighter with whom he drew his first fight, won the second by split decision, and then would not give him another shot even though Marquez camp pleaded with him.

Since his rise to elite status Pacquiao has been just as selective with whom he fights as Mayweather and he even declined to give the one man who gave him a good battle a rematch for no good reason.

I think Mayweather would be a good match for Pacquiao because much like Marquez, Floyd is a patient, counter puncher with the speed and agility to dance around the ring with Pacquiao.

Bertuzzied
06-10-2011, 12:02 PM
As good as Pac-Man is, he has never fought anybody on Mayweather's level.

Pacquiao has fought a lot of slower, stronger fighters recently and those guys are good matches for him because he is much faster and they can't match his speed and power.

Pacquiao has been really good at picking his fights recently and once again picked an aging opponent for his next fight with Marquez.

A fighter with whom he drew his first fight, won the second by split decision, and then would not give him another shot even though Marquez camp pleaded with him.

Since his rise to elite status Pacquiao has been just as selective with whom he fights as Mayweather and he even declined to give the one man who gave him a good battle a rematch for no good reason.

I think Mayweather would be a good match for Pacquiao because much like Marquez, Floyd is a patient, counter puncher with the speed and agility to dance around the ring with Pacquiao.

As good as Mayweather is and it's all defense who the hell has he fought as good as Pacquiao. NOBODY because he picks and chooses his opponents more. Has Pretty Ugly ever fought anyone bigger than him, even if he picks and chooses? yeah one. Dela Hoya.

Pacman can only chase someone so far if they dont' want to fight like Clottey and Mosely.

The first straight left that Mayweather eats he will be scared and will be on his bicycle all nite.

The Yen Man
06-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm not doubting Mayweather's good, because he is. The guy's defence is second to none. But I wish he had more guts and didn't care about his inflated record. The Mayweather / Pacquaio fight has so many interesting questions. How will Mayweather's defence hold up against the ferocious punching power of Paquiao. Can the fact that Pacquaio punches from all angles get through, or is Mayweather going to prove his defence is just too strong? I hate pretty boy Floyd because he just won't man up and give us boxing fans what we want to see. (in my case, seeing PBF knocked out lol)

SuperMatt18
06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
As good as Mayweather is and it's all defense who the hell has he fought as good as Pacquiao. NOBODY because he picks and chooses his opponents more. Has Pretty Ugly ever fought anyone bigger than him, even if he picks and chooses? yeah one. Dela Hoya.

Pacman can only chase someone so far if they dont' want to fight like Clottey and Mosely.

The first straight left that Mayweather eats he will be scared and will be on his bicycle all nite.

I really don't agree with this.

Both fighters used to fight everybody, but once they became the "Pound for Pound kings" both fighters started picking and choosing whom they fought.

Pacquiao fought Mosely, Cotto, Margarito, and Clottey when all of them were way past their prime, and he knew he could beat all of them handedly.

At least Mayweather is fighting a tough, young, matchup in his return to the ring after 16 months.

Unlike Pacquiao who is once again searching the retirement scraps to fight Marquez (a fighter whom I mentioned Pacquaio dodged after beating in a tough split decision, after drawing his first fight with him.)

Why didn't Pacquiao give him the rematch everybody wanted to see three years ago after he won that close decision, was it because he was afraid of Marquez.

Even some boxing analysts are getting on Pac-Man for not giving a shot to any young fighters. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2011/06/10/2011-06-10_floyd_mayweather_willing_to_fight_young_star_li ke_victor_ortiz_something_manny_p.html

I am actually a fan of both fighters but I just hate how Pacquiao gets treated like he is some god, and Mayweather gets thrown under the bus. It is just as much Pacquiao's fault this fight is not happening as it is Mayweather's.

Bertuzzied
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM

Both fighters used to fight everybody, but once they became the "Pound for Pound kings" both fighters started picking and choosing whom they fought.

Pacquiao fought Mosely, Cotto, Margarito, and Clottey when all of them were way past their prime, and he knew he could beat all of them handedly.

At least Mayweather is fighting a tough, young, matchup in his return to the ring after 16 months.

Unlike Pacquiao who is once again searching the retirement scraps to fight Marquez (a fighter whom I mentioned Pacquaio dodged after beating in a tough split decision, after drawing his first fight with him.)

Why didn't Pacquiao give him the rematch everybody wanted to see three years ago after he won that close decision, was it because he was afraid of Marquez.

Even some boxing analysts are getting on Pac-Man for not giving a shot to any young fighters. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2011/06/10/2011-06-10_floyd_mayweather_willing_to_fight_young_star_li ke_victor_ortiz_something_manny_p.html

I am actually a fan of both fighters but I just hate how Pacquiao gets treated like he is some god, and Mayweather gets thrown under the bus. It is just as much Pacquiao's fault this fight is not happening as it is Mayweather's.

Mayweather gets thrown under the bus because he's a little bitch and his fighting style is boring as hell to watch.

Mayweather has not fought anyone. Boxing promoters just want you to think that. Go look at his fights! hahaha it's completely laughable to see who he has fought for him to be lb for lb champ. Pull me 5 names that is considered "great".

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=352&cat=boxer

He has never fought anyone bigger than him, unlike Pacquiao who had to keep moving up in weight. Also people seem to forget he destroyed Marco Antonio Barrera when he was the lb for lb king after beating Morales and Prince Naheem.

Mayweather's lb for lb title was based on his more on his potential and how he would do against other great fighters, but he never fought any of them. But he was too chicken to fight Cotto.

Bertuzzied
06-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Ummm i'm not sure if you follow boxing but i certainly do and Victor Ortiz pulled the greatest Alex Burrows wimp out in the history of boxing when he got his ass knocked down by Maidana. Even though he knocked Maidana down 3 times he basically quit and gave the worst post fight speech in history.

"oh man i'm hurt. I can't believe this happened. I'm too good for this. I will prob never fight again." hahahahahahahahahahahah

Yeah this is pretty boy's next opponent. Sure he's young, but i wouldn't want to pay $60 to watch this guy fight. Lots of people are going to waste money for this crap.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/6/28/928789/steve-forbes-rips-victor-ortiz-for

SuperMatt18
06-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Ummm i'm not sure if you follow boxing but i certainly do and Victor Ortiz pulled the greatest Alex Burrows wimp out in the history of boxing when he got his ass knocked down by Maidana. Even though he knocked Maidana down 3 times he basically quit and gave the worst post fight speech in history.

"oh man i'm hurt. I can't believe this happened. I'm too good for this. I will prob never fight again." hahahahahahahahahahahah

Yeah this is pretty boy's next opponent. Sure he's young, but i wouldn't want to pay $60 to watch this guy fight. Lots of people are going to waste money for this crap.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/6/28/928789/steve-forbes-rips-victor-ortiz-for

Gatti, Baldomir, Castillo, Corrales (first loss), even Hatton were all good fighters that Mayweather fought when they were at the prime of their careers.

As I had said both fighters used to fight everybody but have become a lot more selective of there fight in recent years.

And you still haven't answered why Pacquiao would not take the third fight with Marquez. It was the fight that everybody wanted to see and Marquez was begging him for the fight.

Maybe it was because he was afraid of losing to Marquez, since Marquez was the only person that was providing him with any sort of test at that time.

It couldn't have been because he felt that fighting David Diaz was a more memorable fight, and better career move for him.

And its not that Mayweather is fighting a young stud, although I find it funny that you are bringing up a fight from two years ago to make your point, but the fact that he is actually giving a young guy a chance unlike Pacquiao.

I will give you the fact that Mayweather has shyed away from fighting anybody bigger than him.

Bertuzzied
06-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Gatti, Baldomir, Castillo, Corrales (first loss), even Hatton were all good fighters that Mayweather fought when they were at the prime of their careers.

As I had said both fighters used to fight everybody but have become a lot more selective of there fight in recent years.

And you still haven't answered why Pacquiao would not take the third fight with Marquez. It was the fight that everybody wanted to see and Marquez was begging him for the fight.

Maybe it was because he was afraid of losing to Marquez, since Marquez was the only person that was providing him with any sort of test at that time.

It couldn't have been because he felt that fighting David Diaz was a more memorable fight, and better career move for him.

And its not that Mayweather is fighting a young stud, although I find it funny that you are bringing up a fight from two years ago to make your point, but the fact that he is actually giving a young guy a chance unlike Pacquiao.

I will give you the fact that Mayweather has shyed away from fighting anybody bigger than him.

With that list you just proved Mayweather has fought NOBODY at their prime of their career. You listed Gatti and Baldomir in his top 5 fighters he has faced? hehehe.

Gatti was 39-6 when Pretty Ugly fought him.
Baldomir was 43-9-6 when Pretty Ugly fought him. hahaha
Castillo was 45-4-1 when he fought him.
and Corrales was just a prospect at the time. he wasn't at the prime of his career.

Why didn't Pretty Scared fight Tszyu or Cotto, or Forest, or Mosely or Mayorga or Casamayor who were the top fighters in his weight class at the time?
Instead he chose scrubs like Sosa, N'dou, Judah, Gatti, Baldomir,Bruseles and Mitchell. The only person afraid of losing was Mayweather.

Yeah Pacquiao was really scared of Marquez...... a guy he knocked down 5 times in 2 fights haha

You still haven't mentioned if you follow boxing on a regular basis yet, but a month after the 2nd Marquez fight negotiations was already in place to face Dela Hoya at the end of the year. Why would he fight Marquez again? Pacman needed a warmup in a higher weight so he chose Diaz not just some contender but a world champion at the time.

One of the reasons why Pacman is not fighting the younger guys is that he had a lawsuit ongoing with Golden Boy productions who promote all these guys. Also no one would pay $50 to watch him fight Ortiz or Berto or Bradley.

Also Ortiz is not a stud. hahaha. He is from the Fernando Vargas group of quitters.

403ep3
06-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Waste of money :whaa:

SuperMatt18
06-12-2011, 01:48 AM
With that list you just proved Mayweather has fought NOBODY at their prime of their career. You listed Gatti and Baldomir in his top 5 fighters he has faced? hehehe.

Gatti was 39-6 when Pretty Ugly fought him.
Baldomir was 43-9-6 when Pretty Ugly fought him. hahaha
Castillo was 45-4-1 when he fought him.
and Corrales was just a prospect at the time. he wasn't at the prime of his career.

Why didn't Pretty Scared fight Tszyu or Cotto, or Forest, or Mosely or Mayorga or Casamayor who were the top fighters in his weight class at the time?
Instead he chose scrubs like Sosa, N'dou, Judah, Gatti, Baldomir,Bruseles and Mitchell. The only person afraid of losing was Mayweather.

I would say that of that list Cotto is the one that he clearly ducked, the others I don't really agree that he ducked. There was a reason that he was named the best pound for pound fighter in the World, it wasn't by luck or because he dodged good opponents.

Yeah Pacquiao was really scared of Marquez...... a guy he knocked down 5 times in 2 fights haha

He was afraid of Marquez because Marquez was one of the only fighters that provided him with a challenge. He knocked down Marquez 5 times and still needed a split decision to win and a draw in the other fight. He knew that if he slipped up at all in a fight with Marquez he would lose.

You still haven't mentioned if you follow boxing on a regular basis yet, but a month after the 2nd Marquez fight negotiations was already in place to face Dela Hoya at the end of the year. Why would he fight Marquez again? Pacman needed a warmup in a higher weight so he chose Diaz not just some contender but a world champion at the time.

I follow boxing but I am not a hardcore fan, it seems like you are a hardcore fan and probably have more knowledge on the subject than me. I just feel that Pacquiao gets off easier than Floyd because he is a likable fan favorite while Mayweather is easy to hate.

One of the reasons why Pacman is not fighting the younger guys is that he had a lawsuit ongoing with Golden Boy productions who promote all these guys. Also no one would pay $50 to watch him fight Ortiz or Berto or Bradley.

Pacquaio could fight a cardboard cutout and he will still get good PPV buys. Anything the guy does right now turns to gold. Hell he has about 30 different ugly Nike t-shirts that seem to sell out.

Also Ortiz is not a stud. hahaha. He is from the Fernando Vargas group of quitters.

I meant that Ortiz was not a stud with my comment, just a misunderstanding.

You obviously know more then me on the subject and Ill give you that but I do think you have some bias because you are obviously a big Pacquiao fan who really dislikes Mayweather, like most people.

Bertuzzied
06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
You obviously know more then me on the subject and Ill give you that but I do think you have some bias because you are obviously a big Pacquiao fan who really dislikes Mayweather, like most people.

Mayweather got a free pass because of his potential and has been severely overrated. It was like yeah IF Mayweather fought Cotto he would totally dominate because of his speed and defense and IF Mayweather fought Pacquaio he would totally dominate and IF Mayweather fought Forrest..... you know.

He is also hated because of his defense first style. Sure it's great to watch on Friday nite fights for free but if he wants to be considered a superstar you better fight like one and against other superstars and not those fighters he has fought.

Pacquaio had huge problems making weight to fight Marquez the 2nd time. Thats why he moved up in weight and went the Diaz, Delahoya route.

FlamingLonghorn
06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Mayweather got a free pass because of his potential and has been severely overrated. It was like yeah IF Mayweather fought Cotto he would totally dominate because of his speed and defense and IF Mayweather fought Pacquaio he would totally dominate and IF Mayweather fought Forrest..... you know.

He is also hated because of his defense first style. Sure it's great to watch on Friday nite fights for free but if he wants to be considered a superstar you better fight like one and against other superstars and not those fighters he has fought.

Pacquaio had huge problems making weight to fight Marquez the 2nd time. Thats why he moved up in weight and went the Diaz, Delahoya route.

Fight like a superstar? What the hell does that mean? I guess you hate St. Pierre too? His fights are boring as all hell.

The Yen Man
06-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Fight like a superstar? What the hell does that mean? I guess you hate St. Pierre too? His fights are boring as all hell.

The difference is, St. Pierre takes on the strongest challengers. He doesn't continually dodge harder fights to inflate his record like Mayweather does. It's too bad, because I think Mayweather really is one of the best in boxing. But he is doing himself and his legacy a great disservice by ducking harder fights and putting doubts in people's minds of the legitimacy of his record.

Bertuzzied
06-13-2011, 01:30 PM

I don't watch mma but yeah if his fights are boring why watch? other than that he's canadian.