PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Sound cutting out

Yanda
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Hello, I was playing some BF2 on my PS3 last night and the tv made a weird noise and then silence. I continued to play with no sound until the round finished and quit the game.

Instead of heading back to the PS3 Menu the System restarted turning off the system and my controller and went to the login screen with the fancy PS3 loading Music. This left me kind of baffled as I have a PS3 Slim with limited use.

I went back into BF2 and played maybe 5 minutes before the same thing happened. Sound cut out, restarted the system instead of leaving the game.

I havent seen it cutout like this while playing videos but I havent had much time to test this theory.

Any idea whats wrong with it?

NuclearPizzaMan
05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Hello, I was playing some BF2 on my PS3 last night and the tv made a weird noise and then silence. I continued to play with no sound until the round finished and quit the game.

Instead of heading back to the PS3 Menu the System restarted turning off the system and my controller and went to the login screen with the fancy PS3 loading Music. This left me kind of baffled as I have a PS3 Slim with limited use.

I went back into BF2 and played maybe 5 minutes before the same thing happened. Sound cut out, restarted the system instead of leaving the game.

I havent seen it cutout like this while playing videos but I havent had much time to test this theory.

Any idea whats wrong with it?

This happened to me when I had my ps3 jammed in a confined space. Overheating issue. Might not be the same for yours but I'd double check that it isn't nuking itself.

Yanda
05-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Whats strange is the noise it made right before the sound cutout the 1st time. Makes me think I broke something :(

Yasa
05-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Is it plugged into an HDMI port? I had some video issues with mine recently, but I switched ports and all was well.

Yanda
05-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Im just using the basic cables that came with the PS3

NuclearPizzaMan
05-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Whats strange is the noise it made right before the sound cutout the 1st time. Makes me think I broke something :(

Mine buzzed like a bad fan for 10 seconds and then popped, and silence. Made me worried that I had just trashed my speakers

Esoteric
05-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Im just using the basic cables that came with the PS3

/shudder

You're not even playing in HD! :bag:

Yanda
05-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Whats the point in playing in HD if you dont have an HD TV :(

Yeah_Baby
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Thoughts and prayers.

Mazrim
05-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Spending all your money on dubstep on Beatport or something? You can get a cheap HDTV for like $300 these days.

Hack&Lube
05-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Do you have a widescreen computer monitor? At least use that.

PS3 is not bad in SD for some games however. Some people who are not so astute don't even notice. My friend didn't even notice when I switched his connection from the RCA jacks to 1080i component cables even though it was a 60" TV!

Mazrim
05-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Some games look okay in SD (I used my PS3 on an old CRT for a few months), but some games are pretty much impossible to play because the text is too small and doesn't scale in non-HD resolutions, which means you're straining your eyes constantly. It can actually be hard on your eyes and give you headaches.

Yasa
05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Have you tried replacing your cables?