PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Video Closing Stores: Some deals to be had

photon
05-27-2011, 04:18 PM
There's a few blockbuster videos closing in Calgary, and they're selling pretty much everything.

Everything right now is 30% off, including all the titles being currently rented, so the stock of "previously viewed" is pretty good.

I went to the BB in the NE and got a few video games, didn't pick up any blu-rays though there were lots there. Selection was great but today was the first day.. the guy said they'll likely increase the discounts as they go along but the best stuff will get picked over pretty good I bet.

They had some hardware too and special editions (Halo Reach). And some Mario Wii games for 30% off are hot since they never seem to decrease in price.

Anyway picked up Heavy Rain for $12, Uncharted 2 for $20, and Bayonetta + Namco Museum for $12 for both.

MrMastodonFarm
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
You know which stores exactly?

silentsim
05-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Also a movie store named Movies Plus in Monterey plaza (near the co-op) closing, I managed to get Uncharted 2 for 15$ I believe it was(pre-played of course). They had blu-rays and such too

jus_sum_guy
05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Locations closing

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Blockbuster+closing+seven+Calgary+stores/4851785/story.html

photon
05-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Oh sorry, was going to post the list and forgot:

http://www.steveladurantaye.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Closing-Store-List-May-26-2011.pdf

Thor
05-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Man, I worked for big blue when I was younger and made lots of friends there. Sad to see it go, the Brick Plaza location I worked at and it was the first blockbuster in Calgary too way back when.

Azure
05-28-2011, 10:36 AM
First Netflix victim?

Blaster86
05-28-2011, 10:40 AM
First Netflix victim?

Obviously.

FlameOn
05-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Wasn't it that US blockbuster was the one failing miserably and Canadian one doing ok? US creditors forced US debt onto the Canadian subsidary and now there are issues with some store closures?

Anyways, got me some sweet deals. Little big planet 2 and NFS shift 2 for $35ea.

Blaster86
05-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Wasn't it that US blockbuster was the one failing miserably and Canadian one doing ok?

The Canadian one was doing better than the US counterpart, but it was just because Canada was slower to get Netflix.

OilKiller
05-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Why did I envision vultures circling overhead when I stepped into this thread?

metallicat
05-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Do these places still have any HDDVDs?!

Diemenz
05-28-2011, 03:04 PM
I noticed prices went up about 25% on most bluerays and games a few days before the 30% off everything sale.

Funny.

Hack&Lube
05-28-2011, 03:31 PM
qhRKmGmTzZE

V092fX76FLI

Jbo
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I just pillaged blockbuster for games. Castlevania, super street fighter 4, crisis 2...60 bucks

photon
05-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I almost got Castlevania too, but I haven't even finished God of War 3 and still have Dante's Inferno AND Bayonetta so I figured I'm good for that kind of game for now.

TurnedTheCorner
05-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Just spoke to someone who got 9 sealed and new DVDs from the Brick plaza location for $20.

FlameOn
05-28-2011, 11:35 PM
I saw someone hauling out seasons of TV shows. $1/disc was what the lady with the sex in the city stacks of DVDs was saying... so you could get an entire season under $10. That's a pretty good deal.

Meelapo
05-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Awesome. Going to try and see if I can get Dirt 3, Mortal Kombat, or that Gears of War pack.

Nammer403
05-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Picked up Kane and Lynch 2 for $17, Role models for about $8, and the girlfriend picked up a new copy of Snow white to add to her disney collectoin for $18

corporatejay
05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Just spoke to someone who got 9 sealed and new DVDs from the Brick plaza location for $20.

DVDs? They'll go great with his VHS collection.

Ashartus
05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
I noticed prices went up about 25% on most bluerays and games a few days before the 30% off everything sale.

Funny.

That's pretty common when a business goes into receivership. Since technically it is a different company running the stores now, they can temporarily bump up the prices, call that their normal price, then discount the new prices and say it's on sale for 30% off, even if it's close to the price it was before the receivership happened. If Blockbuster was still running the stores they couldn't do that and would have to use their "normal" price as the starting point for the discount.

That's also why they don't have to honour gift cards etc. - so if you have any Blockbuster gift cards you might want to use them fast (they already aren't be honoured at the stores that are closing).

Kipper is King
05-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Tiger Woods 11 and Apollo 13 Special Edition on Blu Ray for $24. Saved about $20-$30 from the cheapest online prices for both items. Got those over the weekend.

Misterpants
05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I can't believe they aren't closing the Blockbuster in Signal Hill. Every time I drive by there is literally ONE car out front and I'm guessing it's the person who is working there.

Meelapo
05-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Bought:

Uncharted 2: Game of the Year $21 (new)
F1 2010: $28 (new)
Two Worlds 2: $38.50 (used, only had French instruction book)
Dirt 3: $38.50 (used)

Sin City (BR) = $14 (new, steel case)
The Road (BR) = $10.50 (new)

I got home and realized I already had Uncharted 2 (regular version) and remembered I don't actually like F1 racing. I can't return anything so I guess it's off to EB to cut my loses and see if I can trade in two games and pay $10 to get LA Noire (which they had but someone had rented so I couldn't get that).

Russic
05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Bought:

I got home and realized I already had Uncharted 2 (regular version) and remembered I don't actually like F1 racing. I can't return anything so I guess it's off to EB to cut my loses and see if I can trade in two games and pay $10 to get LA Noire (which they had but someone had rented so I couldn't get that).

I... I don't understand how either of these things can happen.

Sliver
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Bought:

I have a feeling that rental is never going to be returned.

Meelapo
05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
I... I don't understand how either of these things can happen.

I bought Uncharted 2 when it came out last year and it's been on my shelf. When I went to Blockbuster I forgot I had it because it's been so long since I looked at it (the shelf is behind my couch).

The F1 thing was because at Blockbuster I was so excited to find something for cheap I just bought it before thinking I don't like F1 racing. I realized this when I got home and the excitement died down.

Hopefully you understand a bit more now :)

When I asked the girl about the rentals she said that they will go on sale if the people decide to return it so I assume that they can't really do anything if you don't return something.

photon
05-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Related but not worth a new thread, Amazon has some good deals on bargain bin blu-rays

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&ref_=s9_al_bw_feat&docId=1000688831#

SuperMatt18
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
For those looking for games there seems to still be a bunch left at the 32nd ave NE location. Lots of new and used games still available.

I picked up a new copy of Portal 2 ($42.00) and a pre-played Transformers:War For Cybertron (18.00).

I kinda regret not picking up more games now so I might head back tomorrow and pick up a couple more.

They were just putting out a bunch of the pre-played games so i'm sure they will have a lot left, they didn't seem to be as busy as the other locations since they even had some Disney movies left still.

SuperMatt18
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Bought:

The NE 32nd ave location had a ton of the rental LA Noire's left for 54.99 then 30% off that. I had contemplated getting that but can never seem to get into Rockstar games for more then a couple days.

Skyceman
05-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Great deals
- Walked out with a new PS3 and Hot Pursuit saving about $135

blankall
05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Awesome. Going to try and see if I can get Dirt 3, Mortal Kombat, or that Gears of War pack.

I went to a BB right as the sale started and was the first one in the door. The sales rep told me that most of the newer games had been shipped to the locations that were not closing.

Edit: Wow some people defitely got luckier than I did. My location had all the systems shipped out too. Was looking for an X-Box.

Jbo
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Blockbuster Bowness has the best deals of the three stores I stopped in (this was on Saturday) Had systems and new games and some great deals.

The one in the South by The Brick had the worst selection by far...

Byrns
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Blockbuster Bowness has the best deals of the three stores I stopped in (this was on Saturday) Had systems and new games and some great deals.

The one in the South by The Brick had the worst selection by far...

Systems? I was there the morning of Friday and all they had was 1 Wii and a basic 360. (said some guy cleared out the PS3's before I got there)

4X4
06-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Silly Blockbuster. Why did the captain of that ship not see the iceberg coming? It wasn't night time on the Atlantic, it was the ought decade of the new millennium. Netflix, Video on Demand, downloading, etc. How come nobody in that organization ever foresaw the pending doom? As a fan of business, this baffles me.

Caged Great
06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Silly Blockbuster. Why did the captain of that ship not see the iceberg coming? It wasn't night time on the Atlantic, it was the ought decade of the new millennium. Netflix, Video on Demand, downloading, etc. How come nobody in that organization ever foresaw the pending doom? As a fan of business, this baffles me.

Some times, the people in charge are morons.

Look at the Oilers.

MrMastodonFarm
06-02-2011, 08:24 PM

http://cms.searchenginewatch.com/IMG/096/172096/head-in-sand-jpg.jpg?1304537354

Jbo
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Systems? I was there the morning of Friday and all they had was 1 Wii and a basic 360. (said some guy cleared out the PS3's before I got there)

Ya it was the Bowness one around 1 PM. Not sure how the heck they would have had some if they were cleared out the day before?

SeeGeeWhy
06-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Read up on Blockbuster Total Access. THey tried to compete with online DVD rentals with Netflix back in 2004 - 2006, but it looks like it fell apart when not all franchisees were honoring it. The next CEO put in place in 2007 ditched it and went back to 100% retail. Epic fail.

Slava
06-03-2011, 09:10 AM

I'm only half joking when I suggest this: maybe someone should call up Heather Reisman and ask her?

It is mind-boggling, I totally agree. I'm fairly sure that the last time I actually went in to rent a movie was right before the first time I ordered one off Shaw on Demand....no returns, no late fees, no extra stop and hope they have it in stock.

Russic
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Reminds me of the music industry. The options are clear, your old business model is dying fast so you can either adapt or sit there waiting for people to start giving you money again for no reason whatsoever.

4X4
06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Reminds me of the music industry. The options are clear, your old business model is dying fast so you can either adapt or sit there waiting for people to start giving you money again for no reason whatsoever.

Exactly.

Somehow they managed to stay relevant when the movie industry moved from VHS to DVD. And then they started with BluRay... And then WTF? They just stopped thinking after that? With their brand power and the money they presumably USED to have, how come Blockbuster isn't Netflix? Blockbuster should have been the company that pioneered online movie rental and then slowly started closing store locations as leases ran out, or else started selling something else inside their stores.

It's kinda sad. I had a soft spot for Blockbuster because it used to be one of the things to look forward to as a kid. Renting a movie and a game was the shiz. Even into adult years is was fun to go with the woman to Blockbuster and get a couple movies. I guess what I'm saying is that if Blockbuster had become a legitimate competitor in online movie rentals, I'd probably use them because they've already established themselves positively in my brain. Oh well. I've got Netflix now and haven't been to Blockbuster since VOD became easy to use.

Hack&Lube
06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Exactly.

Somehow they managed to stay relevant when the movie industry moved from VHS to DVD. And then they started with BluRay... And then WTF? They just stopped thinking after that? With their brand power and the money they presumably USED to have, how come Blockbuster isn't Netflix? Blockbuster should have been the company that pioneered online movie rental and then slowly started closing store locations as leases ran out, or else started selling something else inside their stores.

It's kinda sad. I had a soft spot for Blockbuster because it used to be one of the things to look forward to as a kid. Renting a movie and a game was the shiz. Even into adult years is was fun to go with the woman to Blockbuster and get a couple movies. I guess what I'm saying is that if Blockbuster had become a legitimate competitor in online movie rentals, I'd probably use them because they've already established themselves positively in my brain. Oh well. I've got Netflix now and haven't been to Blockbuster since VOD became easy to use.

Netflix actually approached Blockbuster when it was just starting up to talk about a partnership of sorts. Blockbuster refused LOL. This is what happens when your management is entrenched in a 20 year old business model and don't realize that they are dinosaurs who will go extinct while others evolve around them. Blockbuster thought very highly of itself and they never had the forsight to understand how the internet would change the business forever.

Blockbuster was constantly chasing companies like Netflix, Zip, Redbox, etc. when it was already too late. When Red Box started making tons of money doing rentals out of vending machines in grocery stores, etc. Blockbuster tried to get into the game but failed miserably. When Blockbuster saw Netflix's success, they started their own online VOD service but it was horrible for both price and selection.

Blockbuster is like the old American car companies that never changed to adapt to the the modern world and was always playing catch-up until bankruptcy. Another way they were like the car companies is that they were fighting with their own franchises. Like how GM had so many brands that essentially competed with each other, Blockbuster Total Access (their online service) was competing with their own franchises who did not want to honor the program.

username
06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I personally cleaned up at the BB on 17th. I couldn't believe I walked out of there with Season 1 of Entourage for 4 bucks!

I also bought about 6 blu rays and in total everything came to 40 bucks.

I agree with everyone on this thread, it is kind of sad to see BB go. Like 4X4, also have fond memories of renting movies from this place.

Mean Mr. Mustard
06-03-2011, 07:47 PM
It is odd that the place that is right near where I live had the prices down by 50% whereas others seem to be 30% off. Makes no sense to me... that being said 90% of the store seems to be picked over and the only chance to get anything decent is to pay attention to when the other stores are closing and get there on the first couple of days.

The only really good deal that I saw was the Sergio Leone collection which was on sale for $7 although I already own all the movies so not much point in getting them again. I sort of want to buy a single dvd of all the tv shows that I want and hope that no one else would want to buy a season missing some episodes and then go back right near the end and pick up the rest... the cost per disk for the pacific was $10 after the discount.

You Need a Thneed
08-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Blockbuster is closing all of its remaining stores in Canada.

photon
08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Good: More sales on games I don't play!

Bad: Now I won't have anywhere close to rent Blu-rays.

Burninator
08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
When will the sales start? I live close to 2 Blockbusters and I wouldn't mind finding some deals.

Mazrim
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Bad: Now I won't have anywhere close to rent Blu-rays.
On that note, I suppose those Red machines at Safeway would be the place to go now for Blu-Rays? I'm not sure as I've used Blockbuster for my rentals for a long time.

Old Yeller
08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm honestly surprised it took this long to close the rest of them.

Hack&Lube
08-31-2011, 04:54 PM
"existing gift cards and rewards programs will no longer be accepted."

Sainters7
08-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Agreed. I grew up in Deer Ridge and always went to the Rogers Video by Deer Valley Mall there. When they finally opened a Blockbuster nearby, it felt like the bigtime. I remember being jacked to even go in there for the first time because its the place you always heard referenced in movies/TV (even when you soon discovered prices there were actually worse). It had just built its own brand, it felt cool to even be in there when you're young.

I'm also surprised the unquestioned leader in video/game rentals managed to just fall by the wayside in the digital age, that's what happens when you don't plan ahead I guess..

photon
08-31-2011, 05:16 PM
On that note, I suppose those Red machines at Safeway would be the place to go now for Blu-Rays? I'm not sure as I've used Blockbuster for my rentals for a long time.

Do they have them now?

likwid888
08-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Are services like GameFly the only way to rent video games now?

Vinny01
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
What Blockbusters are left in the city that are going to be having these blowout sales?

MrMastodonFarm
08-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Ha! Take that late fees on Alan Wake

Kipper is King
08-31-2011, 07:18 PM
I went by a Blockbuster and inquired. I was told things wouldn't be "truly official" until Tuesday. There was a clueless woman behind me in line, who happily renewed her membership. ::facepalm:: I tried to warn her, but apparently I know nothing!

Jordan!
08-31-2011, 10:09 PM
I'll always remember going to Blockbuster in Westhills when it was like the first thing to open there

Esoteric
08-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Can I rent a bunch of titles with no intention of returning them yet?

3 Justin 3
09-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Can I rent a bunch of titles with no intention of returning them yet?

I am wondering the same. Since they are closing, can they send collections?

Because I'll go rent like a mofo tomorrow.

What about the new releases they have, sale or?

Draug
09-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Now I won't have anywhere close to rent Blu-rays.

That is the real tradgedy .... I still rent the blu-rays that I dont want to buy because every other way to watch a movie is highly compressed.

darklord700
09-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I walked into a BB on Monday, the store was kind of empty. I asked the clerk how much for a BR rental and he looked at me like zombie as answered. Looking back, he probably thought that I was nuts because he knew the store was closing.

troutman
09-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Digital killed the video store.

bubbsy
09-01-2011, 08:48 AM

the store killed itself by not evolving with the market competition given the major enhancements in technology over the past 5 or so years.

Bring_Back_Shantz
09-01-2011, 10:41 AM

the store killed itself by not evolving with the market competition given the major enhancements in technology over the past 5 or so years.

Don't worry Trout, I got the joke.

Oooo, oo, oo!

fundmark19
09-01-2011, 11:13 AM
So is it a good time to go rent as many blue rays as you can and never return them?

Mazrim
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Do they have them now?
I saw one at the Safeway on Southland at Macleod.

http://www.redbox.com/

darklord700
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Any Redbox renting blu ray in Calgary?

Caged Great
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I went to the one at signal hill, and they had a whole load of pre played games for 2/12 for all of Xbox360, playstation 3, and the wii.

Ended up getting 8 games. Can't complain at the price. The guy said that they're not likely to start liquidating until late next week.

blankall
09-01-2011, 02:27 PM
So is it a good time to go rent as many blue rays as you can and never return them?

Probably not. The assets, including oustanding rentals, will most likley be going straight to a collections agency after the sale. In the case of an unreturned rental, they can probably just charge you a ridiculous amount for the price of the item and you have no store to return it to.

Bobblehead
09-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Did all the Rogers Video suddenly shut down?

oilyfan
09-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Did all the Rogers Video suddenly shut down?

I believe they are now called Rogers Plus

photon
09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I saw one at the Safeway on Southland at Macleod.

http://www.redbox.com/

Sorry I meant do they rent Blu-rays now?

I think there's one in the Safeway near where I live I'll have to check and see if it has them.

Diemenz
09-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I am wondering the same. Since they are closing, can they send collections?

Because I'll go rent like a mofo tomorrow.

This would be an extremely bad idea.

RFD posted the closing release and it stated as of DEC 31st BB forwards all outstanding accounts to Collections, it even stated they will not be attempting to go after accounts until then so late fees will keep on piling up as well as the cost of the movie or game. So what that means is about late January your credit will get ruined because of a few movies and videogames. The charge will be the purchase cost of the item plus the late fee's so if you have 6 games expect to owe $1500 and have a big stain on your credit history for 4 years.

It also mentioned the sale starts on or after Dec 9th

bubbsy
09-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Don't worry Trout, I got the joke.

Oooo, oo, oo!

haha, i just reread it and got it, haha. I guess i'm brighter or more observant when i first wake up :)

Inferno
09-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Too bad I live nowhere near a Blockbuster.

Sainters7
09-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Any news on when the inevitable riot-like blowout sale will commence? I've got 2 locations within 5 minutes of me. I'm bringing a pillowcase and my gameface.

blankall
09-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Any news on when the inevitable riot-like blowout sale will commence? I've got 2 locations within 5 minutes of me. I'm bringing a pillowcase and my gameface.

Meh wasn't that impressed with the sale last time.

Best deal was on obscure blu-rays/DVDs that used to be rentals. You could find obscure titles that would cost up to $40 for as little as $7 for blu-rays and $4 for DVDs (used of course).

Bertuzzied
09-02-2011, 03:53 PM

it's a waiting game. they prob won't have the 70% off sale for at least another 2-3 weeks.

no point lining up. their 30-40% off sale will just make everything regular price.

Diemenz
09-02-2011, 04:49 PM

According to blockbusters press release the sale starts September 9th

likwid888
09-08-2011, 10:46 AM

KTrain
09-08-2011, 10:53 AM

As someone already mentioned, Rogers Video (Plus) is still around.

Sliver
09-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Aside from candy, I don't even know what I'd want to buy at a Blockbuster. Everything they sell is irrelevant.

KTrain
09-09-2011, 08:53 AM
The sale starts today. 25% off movies. 15% off video games.

Bertuzzied
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
The sale starts today. 25% off movies. 15% off video games.

yay! so it's only 10% above Best Buy prices now! hehe

photon
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah they're going to have to do better than that, but if it were me that's exactly how I would do it, because consumers just think they're getting a deal and will buy more.

blankall
09-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah they're going to have to do better than that, but if it were me that's exactly how I would do it, because consumers just think they're getting a deal and will buy more.

Yup might as well milk as much as you can out of the inventory. The sales will eventually drop to real deals, but if you can sucker people into buying your overpriced goods at 15% off then why not.

The only thing worth picking up right now is obscure movies from the rental sections.

Bertuzzied
09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
i'll start going at 60% off.

photon
09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
The previously viewed blurays are 25% off too so there are some deals there. Got Inception for $7.50

They did have LotR Extended for 25% off as well for their boxed set, so I got that for $60 (and it includes a ring lol)

If the crowd is any indication, not much will last till %60 off

Games are hardly worth looking at for 15% off.

SuperMatt18
09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I will show up when the games are 30% or 40% off, there was still some good selection at that point last time

Baaarrden
09-09-2011, 05:57 PM
The HMV in Westhills has also been having a closing sale and for the last 2-3 weeks the discounts have been increasing, but what I noticed when I went in there the last time (about a week ago) is that they had removed about half of the selection, including many of the movies I would see as the more premium selection (like new releases and such). The only movies that were available last week were movies that were overstocked or movies that were old and not worth as much. I'm not sure if Blockbuster will do this but you may not want to wait until the last minute to get the biggest deals or you might end up a bit disappointed like I was.

jolinar of malkshor
09-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I picked up a new LOTR BlueRay Extended Edition Box set for 25% off, Dexter Season 5 25% off, and Back To The Future Box Set Blue Ray for 25% off.

Ashartus
09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I checked out the Westhills Blockbuster. Some of the previously viewed movies were a good price, but you really had to watch out. The movies in the rental section didn't have prices on individual movies, just a range posted on a sign; I brought a few up front to check the prices and some of the newer ones were $16 or more before the 25% discount. Older movies were generally $6.99 before the discount (so about $5.25 after discount), but you definitely want to check for scratches etc. since some rentals are in pretty bad shape and there are no refunds or exchanges.

photon
09-16-2011, 03:56 PM
They moved the discount to 40% now, still not enough to consider most of their retail Bluray discs, but they moved the video game discount to 40% as well, so there were lots of decent game deals to be had IMO, at least at the 17th Ave SE location.

I got Star Wars Clone Wars Bluray previously viewed for $6 and Uncharted 2 brand new for $18.

KTrain
09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
McKenzie Towne had a bunch of NHL12 for 360. No PS3 though.

Teh_Bandwagoner
09-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Not bad...I grabbed Dead Rising 2 for $12.75 and L.A. Noire for $29.75 last weekend. It was only 15% off, but their pre-sale priced seemed pretty good already.

KTrain
09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
You can already see the glut of "Unopened NHL 12" for $10 less than retail popping up on CP, craigslist and kijiji. Entrepreneurs.

Sainters7
09-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Went down there last night for the first time since the sale started, got season 2 Deadwood, season 2 Parks & Rec, and season 1 of Californiacation for a combined $16 (the old for rent ones though, so not in a box set).

Aside from TV shows though, its pretty slim pickings down there now. If some of you are waiting for the sales to drop any lower, I'd just go now. After 2 weeks of being picked at, the selection remaining there is even worse than Netflix. I knew it'd be getting low in there but I didn't think that low, basically the entire "New Rentals" wall that wraps around the store is bare. Deals be leavin!

3 Justin 3
09-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Is it just a 40% off everything rule, like it won't be marked on the box? I want to pick up Star Wars Unleashed 2.

Travis Munroe
09-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Just got back from Crowfoot BB, 37 and change for NHL 2012. Open till 8:30 tonight.

Teh_Bandwagoner
09-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Grabbed Fallout New Vegas and Bioshock 2 for $9 each today!

3 Justin 3
09-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I'll go see if I can pick up Madden 12 for cheap tomorrow. Hopefully they got some in stock. The one in Coventry Hills was pretty full last weekend.

Sainters7
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I'll go see if I can pick up Madden 12 for cheap tomorrow. Hopefully they got some in stock. The one in Coventry Hills was pretty full last weekend.

Wow, lucky. There's 2 locations within 5min of my house, and even as of early last week they had just been picked dry. Seriously the newest version of Madden I saw was '08. Surprised they even have that on stock still.

On a side note, Blockbuster's keeping some very un-Blockbuster'ey hours these days. Not surprised at all to see them not go till midnight anymore, but I cruised by at about 9:15pm the other day and it was closed.

Jbo
09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Can anyone confirm if a location in the city still had NHL 12 as of today? Will head there at lunch

old-fart
09-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Can anyone confirm if a location in the city still had NHL 12 as of today? Will head there at lunch

Don't know about the city or today, but the Okotoks one had them yesterday - picked it up for 40% off.

Burninator
09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I went to the Shawnessy location on Saturday and picked up some Blu-rays. They are almost cleaned out, lots of empty shelves. I was hoping to pick up some Xbox games too but pickings were very slim.

Inferno
09-21-2011, 10:36 PM
If only they would have waited until February when I was living in a place that had a Blockbuster Video. I stopped in at one before we left Winnipeg today and there was barely anything left.

Caged Great
09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
There is a lot of games and blue rays at the westhills still. Not a huge selection, about half the store.

Teh_Bandwagoner
09-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Checked Beddington - no NHL12. Guy at the till said they're down to about 30% of their total store stock. I did pick up Portal 2 for 50% off though. Damn...at this rate, I will be bankrupt before Blockbuster goes out of business :\

FlamesKickAss
09-22-2011, 12:53 PM
has anyone seen any of MLB the show 12 at any of the locations?

Bertuzzied
09-24-2011, 03:56 PM
So 70% off at all the blockbusters now. Went to Signal hill, Crowfoot and Brentwood.

Selection got worse as it went.

Point break on bluray new is only $6!

pylon
09-25-2011, 11:53 PM
So 70% off at all the blockbusters now. Went to Signal hill, Crowfoot and Brentwood.

Selection got worse as it went.

Point break on bluray new is only $6!

Really? That's a smoking deal.

Get me 2!

fundmark19
09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
has anyone seen any of MLB the show 12 at any of the locations?

I am going to guess no since it doesn't come out till march

FlamesKickAss
09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I am going to guess no since it doesn't come out till march

What about '11, thats what I meant

InSutterWeTrust
09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Went the other day when they dropped to a 70% sale. Picked up Inception and The Town for $7 each, they both brand new with the blu-ray+dvd+digital copy versions.

troutman
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Friday at Brentwood, we got 4 movies and 2 wii games for $45.

silentsim
09-26-2011, 12:01 PM
got NCAA football 2012 for like 18$. not bad

CKPThunder
09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Trailer Park Boys the Movie and Countdown to Liquor Day double feature dvd for $3. Couldn't resist.

fundmark19
09-26-2011, 02:38 PM
What about '11, thats what I meant

Sorry I was being a jerked I have not seen it around since that first 40 percent drop when all the good games went missing.

On that not my mom just picked me up NHL 12 for 18 bucks. She asked someone at the counter and for some reason they had one!