PDA

View Full Version : Free or Cheap Web Design Software?

Danijam
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi there. I have just secured a domain name through GoDaddy and want to find a way to design a website as inexpensively as possible without it looking like someone's junior high school project. Anyone have some good tips for inexpensive (or free!) software to help me put my website together? The site will be for graphic design and writing services. I have enough clients that it makes sense to have a web presence at this point. I'll be using my MacBook Pro to design and edit the website. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Tyler
05-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Google 'free website templates' and have at 'er

Danijam
05-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I Googled 'free web design software' but they all looked like they had their own banners on the site and I thought that might look amateur... I guess you get what you pay for.

sclitheroe
05-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Hype in the App Store is pretty freaking awesome

Danijam
05-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Thank you! I'll download it first thing tomorrow. $29.99 will be the most I've ever spent on an app, but it's a steal for a web design program! Can't wait to give it a try.

Temporary_User
05-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Never really looked at it, but is iWeb a decent enough program?

Russic
05-25-2011, 09:15 AM

I bought this and was going to start a thread on it but haven't gotten around to using it yet. Really excited to try though.

sclitheroe
05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
I bought this and was going to start a thread on it but haven't gotten around to using it yet. Really excited to try though.

It's very cool. I don't have the chops to do anything special with it, but I figured it would be a decent little replacement for iWeb, which I've used in the past for quick and dirty websites.

sclitheroe
05-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Never really looked at it, but is iWeb a decent enough program?

Not really. Anything you create in iWeb will be immediately identifiable as something created in iWeb.

If all you needed was a super quick site for something like a party invitation or an event calendar, etc, yeah it would probably suffice

sclitheroe
05-25-2011, 08:13 PM

You and I are like software bro's...first Pocket Cast and now Hype..we've been buying a lot of the same stuff lately.

Danijam
05-25-2011, 08:31 PM

Thank you so much for the tip. I've been working on it all day and my website is coming along so well... I'm totally addicted to Hype! Best $29.99 I've ever spent. Thanks again! :-)

sclitheroe
05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you so much for the tip. I've been working on it all day and my website is coming along so well... I'm totally addicted to Hype! Best $29.99 I've ever spent. Thanks again! :-)

It's actually fun to use, eh?

Danijam
05-25-2011, 09:14 PM
It's actually fun to use, eh?

It's TOTALLY fun, and the three minute video at the beginning perfectly explains how to use it. This is seriously one of the easiest-to-use programs I've ever tried, especially for something that's as complicated as animated web design. I want to make websites for everything now!

Sliver
05-25-2011, 09:20 PM
May I suggest pr0n?

sclitheroe
05-25-2011, 09:46 PM
May I suggest pr0n?

This app comes close.

silentsim
05-25-2011, 10:07 PM
This app comes close.
I am thinking of buying it. How is it for people with little to no coding experience?

sclitheroe
05-26-2011, 07:47 AM
I am thinking of buying it. How is it for people with little to no coding experience?

I would say the demos you see on their site are doable by non-coders. I'm sure gurus will be able to do a lot more with it, but for the rest of us ,the timeline and key framing, and "record what you see me do" mode is great.

Russic
05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
You and I are like software bro's...first Pocket Cast and now Hype..we've been buying a lot of the same stuff lately.

To be fair I only bought Pocket Cast at your stellar recommendation. I still can't believe I can download a 200mb podcast using 3G if I felt the urge.

This thread has inspired me to watch those hype videos.

llama64
05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Hype - yet another application that doesn't let you try before you buy.

I like Mac software but come on... I don't buy software without giving it a go first.

sclitheroe
05-26-2011, 07:06 PM
To be fair I only bought Pocket Cast at your stellar recommendation. I still can't believe I can download a 200mb podcast using 3G if I felt the urge.

Pocket Cast makes me feel like I'm finally getting true value out of my 3G connection on the iPad.