PDA

View Full Version : Android Phone - Shaw E-mail Address - Telus Service

RedMileDJ
05-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Android Phone - Shaw E-mail Address - Telus Service

Title says it all.

I took the plunge today and picked up the HTC Desire HD today, on the Telus Mobility network.

I quickly found out that getting my Shaw e-mail on the HTC is not possible through the regular method of putting your e-mail address in and PW. For some reason it doesn't "talk" to the network properly. Iphone and BlackBerry are no problem. This "problem", as the Telus support agent put it, has always been around for the Android phones.

Anyway, I have been told about some possible "work arounds."

1. Setup a new G-Mail account and FORWARD my Shaw mail to it.

2. Use the browser to go to my webmail and get it that way.

3. There's an app through g-mail that I can get on the phone.

So...what have people here been doing? I have 2 g-mail accounts already and 3 shaw-mail accounts.

Getting all 5 through my BlackBerry was no problem. Now it seems to be on this new phone.

I have 14 days to decide and then I can take the phone back and go back to my BlackBerry. I'd rather not do that. I want to keep this android phone.

So...any idea from the CP collective?

Thanks in advance!

DownhillGoat
05-21-2011, 08:57 PM
The issue is the shaw servers only work if you're on thier network (ie plugged into the cable modem at home).

I've got everything forwarded to my gmail account. Made things so much easier, especially with the imap support that shaw lacks. I still have my outgoing mail to appear as though it's coming from my shaw address.

Another workaround is use the shaw servers for incoming mail, and gmail for outgoing. I tried that for a while, and found it was less hassle to go through gmail entirely, with better results.

RedMileDJ
05-21-2011, 09:09 PM
The issue is the shaw servers only work if you're on thier network (ie plugged into the cable modem at home).

I've got everything forwarded to my gmail account. Made things so much easier, especially with the imap support that shaw lacks. I still have my outgoing mail to appear as though it's coming from my shaw address.

Another workaround is use the shaw servers for incoming mail, and gmail for outgoing. I tried that for a while, and found it was less hassle to go through gmail entirely, with better results.

I don't mean to make you write-up an entire explanation of "how to", but how do I make my mail (sending from the Android) look as though it's coming from the shaw account?

I'm pretty sure I know how to forward the e-mail to it. Just through the shaw account settings, right?

DownhillGoat
05-21-2011, 09:19 PM
That will be in your gmail settings. I changed them on gmail, not on the phone.

oilyfan
05-21-2011, 09:39 PM
The issue is the shaw servers only work if you're on their network (ie plugged into the cable modem at home).

This is incorrect. I have accessed Shaw email from many different networks over the years.

The key is not to use "shawmail" as your incoming/outgoing server, this server name only resolves when connected on Shaw's network.

Using the page below you can lookup the specific full server name (for outgoing) that will resolve on any network.

so incoming server: pop.shaw.ca
and outgoing: http://www.shaw.ca/Support/Internet/Email/Email-Setup/Use-Email-Client/

The android issue is odd, maybe try to set up the email account manually and set the server names as above?

RedMileDJ
05-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Done that. Doesn't work.

Incoming: pop.shaw.ca
Outgoing: shawmail.cg.shawcable.net

No dice :(

RedMileDJ
05-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Woh...I don't know what I did...but I am getting my sham e-mail on here now!

No separate g-mail needed!

Cheers dudes!

Rathji
05-21-2011, 10:07 PM
use your telus servers for outgoing mail.

smtp.telus.net

oilyfan
05-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Try these instructions, the port should be set to 110

http://www.bfinternet.co.uk/news-info/how-to-set-up-your-pop3-account/set-up-pop3-hotmail-email-on-android-google-nexus-phone

BlackArcher101
05-21-2011, 10:21 PM
You need to log into the beta version of webmail, enable mobile devices on that account (found under preferences), then setup the phone using the following:

Android

Setting Up an Email Account

Select the Application icon.
Select Email icon.
If this is your first email account you will be presented with an email setup screen. Otherwise, press the Menu button, and tap the 'Add Account' button.
In the Type your account email address box, enter your full email address.
In the second box, enter your email account password.
Select the Manual setup button.
Choose the POP3 account button.
Enter the following information in the spaces provided:

Username - Enter your full email address.
Password - Enter your email account password.
POP server - pop.shaw.ca
Port - 110
Security type - None

Select Next. The device will connect to the internet and check your incoming settings.
On the Outgoing server settings screen, enter the following information in the spaces provided:

SMTP server - mail.shaw.ca
Port - 587
Security - TLS (accept all certificates)

Note: Ensure Port is still 587.
Select Require sign-in checkbox.
In the Username box, enter your full email address.
In the Password box, enter your email account password.
Select the Next button. The device will connect to the Internet and check your outgoing settings.
On the Account options screen, select your Email checking frequency.
Note: Changing frequency will impact battery life.
Under Notify me when email arrives checkbox to see an alert on the status bar when you have new email.
Name your account as desired.
Enter your name as you want it displayed in email.

edit: Ah, I see you got it working. Can you send e-mails though?

RedMileDJ
05-21-2011, 10:45 PM
edit: Ah, I see you got it working. Can you send e-mails though?

Trying that now. Doesn't look good, so far...

BlackArcher101
05-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Trying that now. Doesn't look good, so far...

If it doesn't work, try my method above. It's the one recommended by Shaw.

RedMileDJ
05-21-2011, 10:50 PM
If it doesn't work, try my method above. It's the one recommended by Shaw.

Thanks Black. I'm doing that now.

I need to log into the Beta? Why's that?

BlackArcher101
05-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks Black. I'm doing that now.

I need to log into the Beta? Why's that?

For some reason they don't have the mobile devices tab under preferences in the classic version of webmail. It will also double check that your password is good enough. I had to change mine just to enable mobile devices.

RedMileDJ
05-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Black, you are THE MAN! It works!

I can SEND and RECEIVE!

Why the hell don't the tech guys at Telus have this information? I need to pass it onto the dealer that sold me the phone.

Thanks a bunch!

ericschand
05-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Done that. Doesn't work.

Incoming: pop.shaw.ca
Outgoing: shawmail.cg.shawcable.net

No dice :(

nm

Rhettzky
05-24-2011, 08:22 AM
How do you log into the beta version of webmail?

RedMileDJ
05-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Go to: https://webmail.shaw.ca/ and then click "try it now" next to the Beta logo at the bottom.

Or here: https://signon.shaw.ca/ and then click SHAWWEBMAIL

or direct: https://signon.shaw.ca/?application=webmail

RedMileDJ
05-24-2011, 05:46 PM
When I went back to the store where I got my Android they were blown away that this could be done.

I think they'll have a lot more happy customers now.

Rhettzky
05-25-2011, 08:33 AM
You need to log into the beta version of webmail, enable mobile devices on that account (found under preferences), then setup the phone using the following:

That is amazing!! I took my phone into the telus rep and he said that Android phones can't send e-mails from Shaw accounts. I spent two hours talking to a shaw service technician and after the 'support' he said that there was nothing he could do. And all I needed to do was log into webmail and change a setting? I'm dumbfounded.

Thanks!!!

DownhillGoat
05-25-2011, 08:53 AM
That is amazing!! I took my phone into the telus rep and he said that Android phones can't send e-mails from Shaw accounts. I spent two hours talking to a shaw service technician and after the 'support' he said that there was nothing he could do. And all I needed to do was log into webmail and change a setting? I'm dumbfounded.
I'm in the same boat. I spent the better part of a week scouring android forums and had no luck.

Does the beta version of webmail support imap as well?

RedMileDJ
05-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I called into Telus Mobility's tech support today. Asked for a manager / supervisor right away.

Long story short: They have the link to the instructions for this and will be making sure all their support staff have these instructions now.

Now if only all the dealers knew about this...