PDA

View Full Version : NHL 12 Info & Media Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Joborule
05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
NHL Playoffs are close to wrapping up which means NHL 12 info is gonna start following out for the next few months shortly. As a lot of you have seen, the first screenshot has already been released, and next week the "Feature Reveal" video will also hit the public.

Use this thread to keeps tabs on the game until fall when it's released to stores.

Incase you missed the screenshot on Facebook

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/246655_10150261388730996_333387460995_9387908_7753 787_n.jpg

MrMastodonFarm
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Don't make it suck.

NHL '11 sucked.

metallicat
05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
They could have appeased the entire country of Canada minus BC if that had just been Luongo.

Actually I'm sure a photoshop of Luongo isn't far off.

Berger_4_
05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Goddamn you EA Sports. Why must you tempt me every year. I swore I wouldn't buy 12, but if you can hit goalies, and there's the Winter Classic, I might have to.

AC
05-20-2011, 01:06 AM
I hope they brag about having realistic physics again... without bothering to understand even basic physics.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
05-20-2011, 01:14 AM
I think most of us can admit that NHL 11's graphics weren't those "realistic physics" we were all hoping for, but they were 1,000,000 times better than NHL 10's graphics.

Can't wait for NHL 12. I've been buying every season since '94. Not going to stop now.

Jayems
05-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Is there a place where you can post a wishlish of fixes that devs will see and hopefully figure out?

Hockeyguy15
05-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Boy I can't wait to run 7uongo!!! $60 well spent just because of that ability.

Crazy Bacon Legs
05-20-2011, 08:17 AM
My guess: The Winter Classic and hitting goalies will pretty much be the only changes.

It is the EA Sports way. Change just enough to keep sales up, and otherwise do nothing.

I will be skipping this game this year unless they announce something HUGE. (Protip: they will not)

fredr123
05-20-2011, 08:34 AM
When you're playing as a goalie, will the flop feature be mapped to the pro stick or a shoulder button?

Hockeyguy15
05-20-2011, 08:37 AM
When you're playing as a goalie, will the flop feature be mapped to the pro stick or a shoulder button?

We won't know that for a bit yet

Kipper is King
05-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I've enjoyed NHL 11, and I think while the new physics were not perfect, they were brimming with potential. I don't get the hate.

Mazrim
05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
If they're going to let you run goalies, they're going to have to add some extra settings for each goalie. For example, if you run Luongo he should go down easier and for a longer time than Thomas. Otherwise the feature will be boring!

Yasa
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
So knocking over the goalies and outdoor games are the new features? Otherwise it looks like it's going to be the same game. They need an overhaul.

Yamer
05-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Rent first this year. If the AI is just as atrocious, I will skip this installment. First time I would ever do that when it comes to the EA series of hockey games.

I hope 2K brings it's quality from their NBA series over to their NHL series, if the rumors of them making NHL 2K12 for the 360/PS3 are true. They were always deeper, but always suffered when it came to gameplay.

I'll definitely look at the 2K game first if they release one.

Joborule
05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Is there a place where you can post a wishlish of fixes that devs will see and hopefully figure out?

Posting on the EA Forums and/or Operation Sports is a good spot since they frequently view those message boards.

Igottago
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Rent first this year. If the AI is just as atrocious, I will skip this installment. First time I would ever do that when it comes to the EA series of hockey games.

I hope 2K brings it's quality from their NBA series over to their NHL series, if the rumors of them making NHL 2K12 for the 360/PS3 are true. They were always deeper, but always suffered when it came to gameplay.

Isn't their hockey franchise dead now?

8sPOT
05-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I thought NHL 11 was the best yet, I don't understand all the hate?

Physics wise it's closest to real thing yet, hitting is better, skating is better, passing is better...

What exactly do you want them to do? I think NHL 11 is fun and I fully intend to buy NHL 12.

kirant
05-20-2011, 11:33 AM
You can run Luongo?

I'll buy.

Cheerio
05-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Bring back goalie fights!!

dissentowner
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM

Physics wise it's closest to real thing yet, hitting is better, skating is better, passing is better...

What exactly do you want them to do? I think NHL 11 is fun and I fully intend to buy NHL 12.

Oh yes, so realistic. The winger passes back to the dman, who passes back to the same winger, who passes back to the same dman, who passes back to the same winger, ect while the other team watches them like they are on a PP when they are not. Oh look, I am wide open for the breakaway and my teamate decides to shoot it in instead. The AI in NHL 11 is beyond ######ed.

8sPOT
05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Oh yes, so realistic. The winger passes back to the dman, who passes back to the same winger, who passes back to the same dman, who passes back to the same winger, ect while the other team watches them like they are on a PP when they are not. Oh look, I am wide open for the breakaway and my teamate decides to shoot it in instead. The AI in NHL 11 is beyond ######ed.

What mode would this be in?

I usually play online, 1 on 1 (not team play), so AI never really seems to be an issue.

I don't know, the pros seem to far outweigh the cons in this game.

I love being able to control how hard the passes are, that alone made it much more enjoyable and realistic.

I also found that this year I am actually somewhat competitive, my record is something like 39-16-8 so I feel like it's become more of a representation of a real hockey game. Maybe 1 of every 5 players score by being cheesy and exploiting the game.

kirant
05-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Maybe 1 of every 5 players score by being cheesy and exploiting the game.
Odd. A lot of them feel that way for me. Lots of cranked shots from the blue line going in top corner and loopy wristers that beat the goalie inexplicably.

Yamer
05-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Isn't their hockey franchise dead now?

They released 2K11 for the Wii, and from some of the rumors I am hearing they took a year off on the PS3/360 in order to come back more competitive in 2012.

I haven't seen a solid confirmation, though.

Always liked the franchise mode depth in that series.

Otto-matic
05-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Didn't Washington wear red helmets and red gloves?

metallicat
05-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Bring back goalie fights!!

I just hope they bring back the ability to have a normal fight without worrying that the game is going to seize immediately after.

Russic
05-21-2011, 09:42 AM
So knocking over the goalies and outdoor games are the new features? Otherwise it looks like it's going to be the same game. They need an overhaul.

lol... one teaser image in and we're already claiming we know all of the new features and calling for an overhaul?

3 Justin 3
05-21-2011, 02:33 PM
How about a physics engine which complies with the laws of physics? That'd be nice.

Goalie fights, bench brawls, hitting people into the bench, hitting people that would make the glass shatter, shots that can break the glass, etc.

Oh yeah, and AI that isn't completely ######ed.

getbak
05-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Didn't Washington wear red helmets and red gloves?
Yes.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2011+NHL+Bridgestone+Winter+Classic+Washington+QZI GxjusFMCl.jpg

Yasa
05-21-2011, 04:32 PM
lol... one teaser image in and we're already claiming we know all of the new features and calling for an overhaul?

Absolutely. I've been disappointed for a few years now with the series. I can't 100% garauntee that this will be a bad game, but judging from their record I can only imagine the features will be gimmicky and pointless. The gameplay will be riddled with bugs, glitches, poor AI and of course terrible develper support.

I don't expect them to change because why would they? People will still buy the games. I hope they prove me wrong, or I hope 2K12 gives them some motivation to make a quality game.

MacGruber
05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
EA sports is notoriously lazy.

The best thing that can happen is decent competition

DownhillGoat
05-21-2011, 07:40 PM
hitting people into the bench,
Oh how I miss that.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
05-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Here's some of my wishlist items to add to NHL 12.

One of my #1 wishes for the NHL series was to add real goalie helmets, but the producers already stated that they would have to go through a crazy amount of legal clearance with the artists of the helmets.

Other than that, I would like to see the ability for the net to come off its moorings, but not overdone. Maybe 3-4 times per game.

Wouldn't mind the addition of the KHL and NCAA hockey, but I can see how that would take an extensive amount of legal effort to implement it into the game. But hey, you never know, they added the CHL and European leagues.

Also, Bill Clement and Gary Thorne do a good job. But I would like some new lines. They've been the same for the last 3 or 4 years now and it's getting old. Just adding a dozen new lines a year isn't good.

And foremost, a complete and total revamping of the goalie moves, physics, etc. They've done good in adding some new animations, but while the players have quite fluent motions, the goalies aren't.

Finally, add realistic coaching staff and the ability in Be A GM mode to fire and hire coaches, scouting staff, trainers, etc.

CaramonLS
05-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Hopefully they add headshots / suspensions.

I wonder how realistic Luongo's headsnaps will be.

Yamer
05-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Here's some of my wishlist items to add to NHL 12.

One of my #1 wishes for the NHL series was to add real goalie helmets, but the producers already stated that they would have to go through a crazy amount of legal clearance with the artists of the helmets.

As something that was once in the game, look for it to be re-introduced as a new feature very soon. Classic EA.

PeteLFan
05-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Before they add any new feature, fix the the damn AI. Nothing is more annoying then trying to make passes, and lead players into open areas, and they just keeping following behind you. When you try to go up the ice with speed, and use your defenceman aggressively, and pass back to them they are no where to be seen and the puck goes back into your zone.

bubbsy
05-23-2011, 09:05 AM
puck/skating physics are needed asap. The ability to skate and stop on a dime without losing control of the puck with 3/4 line players is ridiculous.

Inferno
05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
As something that was once in the game, look for it to be re-introduced as a new feature very soon. Classic EA.

Don't count on it unless they want to show mask painters the money. I don't get why they should have to though. When I design something for someone and get paid for it they can do whatever they want with it.

MacGruber
05-23-2011, 01:53 PM
i think the#1 fix for this game ISN'T goalie masks or other trivial fixes. or online stuff.

FIX 1 player vs cpu mode. online cheesing and cheating will always keep me from caring about that garbage. the best video gaming experiences ive ever had have always been focused around me vs the CPU with the settings set high and adjusted to give me great realism and challenges. i dont get that from hockey anymore, and have to get it from football games. sadly even that area EA is now ruining.

Flash Walken
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
I doubt I'll be buying the new NHL this year.

Last years version sullied things too much for me with that game franchise. Maybe in a few years I might rent it, but I will likely just stick to NHL11 for my hockey gaming fix.

Otto-matic
05-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Hey Jobo,

Are you going to the community day again this year? Possibly beating up Huggybear.

bubbsy
05-24-2011, 06:02 AM
I doubt I'll be buying the new NHL this year.

Last years version sullied things too much for me with that game franchise. Maybe in a few years I might rent it, but I will likely just stick to NHL11 for my hockey gaming fix.

nhl 11 was disappointing, but still the best hockey game out to date. i'll be buying an NHL game every year, as that's the only video game i play, and regardless of quality, am stuck playing it a lot just to get my 'fix'. It is for this reason alone that i hope the 2K series comes back. competition really forced out better game quality in my opinion.

Russic
05-24-2011, 09:23 AM
This will probably be the first time since 2001 that I won't buy the new game (before that only the years 97, 98, 99 and 00 were missed). My decision isn't actually rooted in my distaste for 2011... I actually really enjoy the game. My issue is that I never have time to play it anymore. I'd like to focus on other games for a while. I'll just keep going with my 2011 dynasty sporadically when I need my fix.

The series is starting to focus more and more on "different" kinds of modes with a heavy reliance on online gaming. While I enjoy online (and playing with many of you), I prefer my hockey offline. I find losing online to be an intensely unpleasant experience that sticks with me way too long, and for that reason I stopped. I'm a dynasty guy... I just like building a team, sticking it out and being a part of the peaks and valleys.

Joborule
05-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey Jobo,

Are you going to the community day again this year? Possibly beating up Huggybear.

Nope not this year.

Inferno
05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
My issue is that I never have time to play it anymore.

I've been running into that problem the last couple years too. I didn't play NHL 10 as much as I would have liked because I had so many other games and I'm running into that same problem with NHL 11 which I haven't played in probably 6 months. With me possibly going back to school this fall for game art I may need to stop buying games completely for a while and just play the ones I have which probably could last me the year I would be in school.

Jordan!
05-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Ughhhh.. broken glass. I hate that. Love dynamic goalies though

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1170039p1.html

secol
05-24-2011, 11:01 AM
eh dynamic goalies looks like it's going to happen too much.....also the "jostling" in front of the net looks more like a basketball post game than....also the desperation save shown looked just like the desperation save that they have in the game right now lol

Joborule
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
EA SPORTS Unveils New Features for NHL 12

Award-winning Franchise Invites You to Be the Next Great Legend

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the Stanley Cup® Playoffs heating up, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) is getting in on the action with the announcement of new features for EA SPORTS™ NHL® 12, shipping on September 9th in Europe and September 13th in North America. Play your way to superstardom in the revamped Be a Pro mode and experience the authentic action and energy of real life hockey with the Full Contact Physics Engine.

In the revamped Be a Pro mode, experience the pursuit of greatness and legendary moments in your playing career, shatter historic records and cement yourself in NHL history. Additionally, the better you play, the more ice time you’ll get where you can simulate to your next shift with the EA SPORTS Action Tracker so you’re always on the ice as you play out your entire career in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

The NHL 12 Full Contact Physics Engine puts you in the rink with everything now live on the ice, from players to the environment - everything is interactive and in play. Experience the skill and aggression of hockey from shattered glass to flying helmets to knocking players over the boards and into the bench; crash the crease too hard and you’ll knock the net off and send the goalie flying. Size and physicality will be emphasized as bigger players will be able to throw their weight around as they screen the goalie and battle in front of the net.

This year marks the first time players will face dynamic goalies in the game. Players can knock the net off and make contact with goalies, knocking them down or out of position, as they crash the crease. Watch as goalies battle through screens to make awe-inspiring saves. Additionally, we’re reigniting the beloved fighting engine that first appeared in NHL 10 with all-new goalie battles. When the action gets heated, send a message by leaving the net, dropping the gloves, and trading punches with rivals during fights.

All new gameplay presentation creates an authentic, fresh new look and feel throughout NHL 12 with presentation graphics that mimic real life hockey broadcasts. For the first time ever lace up outdoors under the lights in one of the biggest hockey events of the season, the 2011 NHL Winter Classic® at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, within seconds of putting in the disc. Inspired by the NHL GameCenter Ice Tracker, the all-new EA SPORTS Action Tracker presents game highlights and key moments so you never miss a beat.

This is just a sneak peek of what’s to come in EA SPORTS NHL 12. Stay tuned in the coming months for more news on the franchise as well as the EA SPORTS Hockey League and Hockey Ultimate Team. To get in on the action now visit www.easports.com/nhl (http://www.easports.com/nhl) to pre-order your copy of NHL 12.

--------------------------------------------

Some screens as well. (Can't get hi-res currently)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Joborule/Ann1-iggy_phaneuf4SM.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Joborule/Ann2-DynamicgoaliesSM.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Joborule/Ann3-BoardsIginlaSM1.jpg

CMPunk
05-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I like the idea of crashing the net, but I can see EASHL being a gong show with guys just trying to push the goalie out of the way now

Yeah_Baby
05-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Have they fixed the Saddledome Jumbotron yet?

Otto-matic
05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
By the looks of the video Kipper will be wearing the same mask as the previous versions. Kinda wish they could update the colors on that.

rubecube
05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
The stats, player progression, and simming in dynasty mode need to be drastically overhauled.

Kipper is King
05-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I like the idea of crashing the net, but I can see EASHL being a gong show with guys just trying to push the goalie out of the way now

Being a manual goalie is tough enough now. This is gonna make things really crazy!

Joborule
05-24-2011, 12:44 PM
NHL 12 site is now live.

http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/nhl-12

Russic
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM

This is the comment I was thinking of most while watching the video.

Broken glass? Check. Helmets coming off? Check. Goalie fights? Check.

I love EA and the fact that they have to turn out a new game every September (as well as support the old one for a few months) just ensures that main features are rehashed old features. I'm not saying they're incapable of innovating (they've done it before), just that their timetable makes innovation very very hard.

The outdoor game is kinda cool, but I don't see how it adds to the experience. I already debate skipping the all star game every time it comes up. Not sure much will be different there.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, just finally reaching the end of my road with the game. It's gone from a yearly tradition of following every single bit of information to flacid interest and that saddens me.

Igottago
05-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Dynamic goalies sounds good. I always thought the goalies needed a bit more variation and personality in the game.

koop
05-24-2011, 01:22 PM
They mentioned Simming to your next shift in BAP..... does this mean you will be playing full 60 minute games and only going out when the coach wants you to? Rather than the current system of playing 80% of the game, never having goals scored when you're off the ice, every other players stats being messed up, and being able to get on and off the ice whenever you feel like it? That would definitely be a step in the right direction if BAP can become somewhat realistic.

The one thing I really want to see in these games is some type of playing/skating styles given to the players, as of right now everyone looks the same. Jay Bouwmeester and Cory Sarich skate and move around on the ice the exact same way, so do Ovechkin and George Parros, just at a different speed. I really don't think it's an unrealistic thing to expect either as it's something you see in every other sports video game, Madden has player specific throwing motions, NBA games have shooting and dribbling, and baseball games have pitching and bating stances that are player specific. It seems like a rather obvious improvement, but it's one thing that has only been done once before in hockey video games.......http://chrisrrau.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ice-hockey-nes-case.jpg

If Ice Hockey for NES can do it I'm sure they can figure out something for NHL12 on the PS3 or Xbox360

Temporary_User
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Are they going to have multi-player season mode? Both pick a different team and play a whole season.
Then either play against computer when your team is up, or have other person fill in. All other games simed

3 Justin 3
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Well they added a lot of what I wanted.

Goalie fights - Check
Broken Glass - Check
Hitting guys over the boards - Check
Hitting the net off - Check
Running goalies - Check

But these are little things, should take them like 2 months MAXIMUM to program.

Still awaiting proper AI, because if they don't add that, NHL 12 will be another fail. The AI has gotten to the point of making the game unplayable.

They say another "big" announcement is coming, but it will probably be minor. Heres hoping!

Cheerio
05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Well they added a lot of what I wanted.

Goalie fights - Check
Broken Glass - Check
Hitting guys over the boards - Check
Hitting the net off - Check
Running goalies - Check

But these are little things, should take them like 2 months MAXIMUM to program.

Still awaiting proper AI, because if they don't add that, NHL 12 will be another fail. The AI has gotten to the point of making the game unplayable.

They say another "big" announcement is coming, but it will probably be minor. Heres hoping!

Big Announcement:

You'll be able to play the Winter Classic in year one of your Be a GM mode if you're controlling either the Penguins or Capitals!!!

Inferno
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM

No 2k game this year:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6315332.html?tag=newsticker%3Bheadline%3B1

Yasa
05-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Although I'm nitpicking at this point; the broken glass and helmets popping off look terrible. The glass turns into snow it seems, and the helmets are weightless and just suddenly shoot off the head. Either way, not enough "cool new features" that would justify $60.

I will say that goalie fights and the ability to run them (pending on how easy/frequent it happens) is nice to see. I always hated that forcefield around the net.

Yamer
05-24-2011, 08:33 PM
No 2k game this year:

Crap. With nothing to push them, I expect diminished results once again from EA. Would love to proven wrong, but I know for sure this year I am not standing in the cold at midnight to pick up the newest installment.

Joborule
05-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Actually Winter Classic may happen each season with random teams.

NHL 12 introduces the Winter Classic, and it'll re-occur with random teams/locations within the GM mode. Unfortunately, there is no Heritage Classic

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nhl_12/b/ps3/archive/2011/05/24/establishing-a-physical-presence-in-front-of-the-net.aspx

valo403
05-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Actually Winter Classic may happen each season with random teams.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nhl_12/b/ps3/archive/2011/05/24/establishing-a-physical-presence-in-front-of-the-net.aspx

Interesting, wouldn't they need to program a number of stadiums into the game though? If it's just a generic football stadium it sort of loses its appeal.

I don't want to buy this game, but if they make significant changes to BaP I will. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

bubbsy
05-25-2011, 12:48 AM
these are fairly minor changes in my opinion.

What happened to puck and skating physics overhaul?!?

Flash Walken
05-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Sigh, still looks like nothing for the offline gamer.

Joborule
05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
New article which mentions starting Be A Pro at age 15 in the CHL.

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6589174/nhl-12-adds-goalie-fights-shattered-glass?readmore=fullstory

Esoteric
05-26-2011, 11:46 AM
New article which mentions starting Be A Pro at age 15 in the CHL.

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6589174/nhl-12-adds-goalie-fights-shattered-glass?readmore=fullstory

Hrm...Interesting quote from the article

Add to that a completely new simulation engine that was created from scratch for "NHL 12," and we are just scratching the surface of this incredible looking game.

Traditional_Ale
05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
ESPN NHL 2K7 was the best hockey game ever for two simple reasons.

1) Multi-player GM mode.
2) 300+ years of GM mode.

puckluck
05-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't even think I'm going to bother buying NHL12. NHL11 was such a dissapointment that I don't even care for hockey on a game console.

8sPOT
05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I will be buying NHL 12.

Jayems
05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I love NHL11. Hated it at first, but it's great.

I wont even kid myself... they could just put another athlete on the front and be the exact same game, and I'd still buy NHL12.

But, like broken sticks, this running the goalie thing is going to get overdone... especially when you're playing online against some idiot. Once they give up, they'll spend the next 10 minutes running the goalie every play.

Torture
05-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I love NHL11. Hated it at first, but it's great.

I wont even kid myself... they could just put another athlete on the front and be the exact same game, and I'd still buy NHL12.

But, like broken sticks, this running the goalie thing is going to get overdone... especially when you're playing online against some idiot. Once they give up, they'll spend the next 10 minutes running the goalie every play.

It seems like every new feature EA puts in the first year they over do it just so that they have something they can fix next year. So annoying.

CaramonLS
05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Really hoping for better AI as well.

I really don't like the "Up the difficultly and just make it a hell of a lot easier to get knocked off the puck" mode.

3 Justin 3
05-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Really hoping for better AI as well.

I really don't like the "Up the difficultly and just make it a hell of a lot easier to get knocked off the puck" mode.

I hate it when you up the difficulty and the CPU AI is really good and yours is still as dumb as a box of rocks.

Versus AI needs to be revamped, as does Be a Pro (offline and online) AI. I hate it when we start a rush and the computer has it, and they NEVER take it in the zone, they always curl back even if they are the first in the zone with the puck. They are so incredibly stupid.

rubecube
05-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I hate it when you up the difficulty and the CPU AI is really good and yours is still as dumb as a box of rocks.

Versus AI needs to be revamped, as does Be a Pro (offline and online) AI. I hate it when we start a rush and the computer has it, and they NEVER take it in the zone, they always curl back even if they are the first in the zone with the puck. They are so incredibly stupid.

The worst is trying to make a play in the offensive zone on the harder difficulties. Set up, pass down low, back to the point, back to the first guy, back to the point, repeat, etc., etc., because none of your players move to get open.

Yamer
05-27-2011, 03:13 PM
It is reassuring to know that I am not the only one that has issues with the substandard AI in this game. I like a challenge, but as soon as you up the difficulty the game gets so ridiculous it becomes unplayable.

And one thing I would like to see removed/nerfed is the fooking diving poke check. It is way, WAY too effective for the CPU.

All these additions sound fine, but I know that as soon as I fire the game up there will be multiple glitches and broken features, and nothing so far has indicated to me that the AI will be refined.

Jayems
05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I really hope the revamp the HUT collection and trading.

It's crazy to me that you can't search by specific card (eg. +9 SKT or a 35 game contract) or that you can't sort by ascending/descending price. I hate having to roll through 45 pages of cards just to find the one i want. I know you can search for a max/min price and buy-it-now, but you can't specify what card, or even group (skating, hands, defense, etc) that you want. This would also make it easier for you to know the market value of your extra cards you want to trade.

furthermore, it's dumb managing your cards is so awful. Again, it would be nice to search not only a league, but instead salary. picking a new jersey from your collection is annoying as is a new logo. I know it's not that difficult, but it's not user friendly at all.

Diverce
05-30-2011, 04:00 AM
No 2k game this year:

Wow... You put Kesler on the cover and your franchise dies

bubbsy
05-30-2011, 08:16 AM
this article by joborule actually really does sound pretty wicked:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5164316.page

if jostling is really a feature like in fifa, as long as the puck is a loose entity (ie. not connected to the possessing player's stick) this could change the complete dynamic of the game and mechanism to defend, which could increase the realness of the game exponentially in my opinion.

Russic
05-30-2011, 11:29 AM

if jostling is really a feature like in fifa, as long as the puck is a loose entity (ie. not connected to the possessing player's stick) this could change the complete dynamic of the game and mechanism to defend, which could increase the realness of the game exponentially in my opinion.

Jobo can correct me here, but that sounds more like a wishlist than an article on features.

Yasa
05-30-2011, 12:25 PM
I had no idea Joborule was a moderator on EA. Does he have the power to make them create the perfect NHL game?

Russic
05-30-2011, 12:57 PM
I had no idea Joborule was a moderator on EA. Does he have the power to make them create the perfect NHL game?

He has the power to go see a sneak preview of the game and then hold it over us for a few months.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
05-30-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but another thing I would love in this game would be All-Time teams or something along those lines.

As in 1988-1989 Calgary Flames.

I would love playing as that team.

dobbles
05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
sooo... haven't been here since october!

was posting about nhl12 on letsgowings, and thought about you guys. i have played very little nhl11. i really feel its a poor version of the game. in 10 years, i doubt people look back at this as one of the better versions like nhl94 or any of the others. with that said, here is my post from LGW, do you guys think I am off base?

i really have low expectations for this years game. i had taken several years away from nhl in the mid 2000's and ended up playing nhl08 on pc. after finally getting with the program and getting a ps3 and nhl09 i was blown away. i was on a strong and active eashl team that year and logged hundreds of hours playing. i also got a good amount of joy out of gm mode. then nhl10 came out. there were some tweaks and improvements; still being 'new' to the series it held my interest pretty well. played less eashl and more gm mode that year though.

then last years game came out. it was a big disappointment for me. they added lots of cool stuff like chl, better gm features like future draft picks, but the gameplay continued to decline and they continued to turn eashl and HUT mode into giant cash grabs.

each year they add just enough tertiary features to the game to entice people to buy it. yet the soundtrack is stale, the physics are stale (the checking last year actually went backwards IMO. every hit was highlight reel quality) the glitches are too plentiful and never get truly fixed, and the AI continues to be brutal. (they still pass between 2 people in the offensive zone repeatedly)

its great that goalies are actually part of the game. thats been missing. however, i personally have the likelihood that it gets exploited online at 95%. it will take about 5 minutes for the cheesers to figure out how to slide the puck under the goalie as you run him over.

but as long as people keep buying the game, eashl boosts, and hut packs, EA will just continue to laugh all the way to the bank...

Joborule
05-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Jobo can correct me here, but that sounds more like a wishlist than an article on features.

Ya don't take that as a preview to what's featured in the game. It's just a wihslist article I spruced up a few months back.

bubbsy
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Ya don't take that as a preview to what's featured in the game. It's just a wihslist article I spruced up a few months back.

dangit. your article made me excited that this might be the best game of hockey ever made :(

the jostling in fifa is exactly what the game needs. the puck to stick connection is just too tight to be any kind of realistic game.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
I keep thinking of things that would make a mighty cool addition to the game.

I would love to see NHL and team records.

Kipper is King
05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
its great that goalies are actually part of the game. thats been missing. however, i personally have the likelihood that it gets exploited online at 95%. it will take about 5 minutes for the cheesers to figure out how to slide the puck under the goalie as you run him over.

I'm really concerned about that. I think EA is potentially opening Pandora's box by allowing goalies to be run in the game. Online play, and especially community OTP could easily turn into a joke. It takes one angry guy or one dumb little kid to ruin the game for everyone because they think its fun to constantly run the goalie or knock the net off.

Diverce
05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll be taking at least one goalie interference if the person I'm playing is Vancouver... Luongo is just aching to get run :)

Hockeyguy15
06-01-2011, 07:15 AM
I keep thinking of things that would make a mighty cool addition to the game.

I would love to see NHL and team records.

I'm pretty sure this made it in this year.

Also there is supposed to be a blog entry today about goalie stuff, I can't go on the EA website at work so if someone could post it or give the cliff notes it would be much appreciated.

TorqueDog
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Wow... You put Kesler on the cover and your franchise takes a diveFixed your post.

likwid888
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty sure a Canuck will be on the cover. Not only were the Canucks the best team in the reg season, they may also win the cup and the developer of NHL12 is based in Vancouver. I can see some bias there, and I'm willing to bet the golden boy, Ryan Kesler, will be on the cover. It will be hard to buy NHL12 this year :/

Hockeyguy15
06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure a Canuck will be on the cover. Not only were the Canucks the best team in the reg season, they may also win the cup and the developer of NHL12 is based in Vancouver. I can see some bias there, and I'm willing to bet the golden boy, Ryan Kesler, will be on the cover. It will be hard to buy NHL12 this year :/

I doubt Kesler is on the cover simply for the fact that he was the coverboy last year for 2K, wouldn't look good on EA being a year late using him.

I think EA being based in Vancouver actually means that we don't see a Canuck on the cover since people will claim them being biast. I think if any Canuck is actually on the cover it will be 7uongo because this year they made a lot of changes to goalies.

Russic
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Diverce http://forum.calgarypuck.com/images/calpuck/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=3136000#post3136000)
Wow... You put Kesler on the cover and your franchise takes a dive

Fixed your post.

Or they win the cup. :whaa:

I think the cover athlete more boils down to who is willing to be on the cover for little to no money and do press for it. It seems that has more to do with the decision than actual happenings within the league. If 7uongo's family lives in Florida I imagine he's not going to do press in the off-season. Just guessing of course.

Joborule
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I think EA being based in Vancouver actually means that we don't see a Canuck on the cover since people will claim them being biast. I think if any Canuck is actually on the cover it will be 7uongo because this year they made a lot of changes to goalies.

They won't really care about that. Besides they already kinda are when it comes to details since Canucks are the most authentic team in the game when it comes to jerseys and arena design. Everything is up to date and they featured the 40th anniversary patch on the Canucks alt jersey for NHL 11. They have the advantage due to be located right in the heart of Canuckland but still, should be equal treatment for all 30 NHL teams.

Sr. Mints
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Since '09 I've been thinking about jumping back into the franchise. The last one I did buy was '98 for the PC and '94 for the SNES.

And as like what was mentioned, I just don't want to commit so much time to one game; there are so many games out there I want to play and so little time. I'm already behind.

I might get pick up '12, though.

3 Justin 3
06-01-2011, 09:53 PM
If a Canuck is on the cover my official boycott will take place until NHL 13.

Otto-matic
06-01-2011, 11:10 PM
If a Canuck is on the cover my official boycott will take place until NHL 13.

Do what I do and make a custom cover and print it off.

Diverce
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Do what I do and make a custom cover and print it off.

I'll be contacting you in September... I'll like Iggy please. Preferably the shot of him scoring his 30th this last season.

Flash Walken
06-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Things I want:

Broken glass from a hit or a shot
I want to be able to knock a guy's helmet off with a hit
I want to be able to check him into the bench
I want to be able to check him into an open bench/penalty box door
I want to be able to see replays of hipchecks
I want to see guys helped off the ice by the trainer/stretcher and have that contribute to the severity of the injury
I want more statistical variance in the skill level of players
I want to be able to hit a guy regardless of what stage of animation he is in
I want fights between a guy with low fighting skill and a guy with high fighting skill to actually mean something
I want improved Be A GM mode (meaning, don't trade try to trade me 4 junk players from the minors for Tyler Seguin especially if I don't even have him on the block)
I want draft picks after the first round to matter

likwid888
06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Pre-order NHL 12 and receive the GameStop exclusive Bauer Boost Pack!

Bauer Boost Pack: Enhance your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey League character. Give your player that extra edge to cement yourself in NHL history of being one of the greatest.

http://www.gamestop.ca/gs/images/bonus/nhl12_LG.jpg

rubecube
06-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Pre-order NHL 12 and receive the GameStop exclusive Bauer Boost Pack!

Bauer Boost Pack: Enhance your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey League character. Give your player that extra edge to cement yourself in NHL history of being one of the greatest.

http://www.gamestop.ca/gs/images/bonus/nhl12_LG.jpg

F GameStop and their booster pack. Last time I did that I got told "Sorry, we're all out" when I went to pick up the game. GameStop blows.

likwid888
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
F GameStop and their booster pack. Last time I did that I got told "Sorry, we're all out" when I went to pick up the game. GameStop blows.

It's probably the same as the previous booster pack. A couple of minor boosts and the equipment you see in that picture. Not really a deal breaker if you don't end up getting it.

Yamer
06-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Will it do anything more than just look ridiculous on your player?

rubecube
06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
It's probably the same as the previous booster pack. A couple of minor boosts and the equipment you see in that picture. Not really a deal breaker if you don't end up getting it.

GameStop still blows.

kirant
06-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Will it do anything more than just look ridiculous on your player?
I assume boost slots...though why play with them? It's more fun to try to develop those boosts naturally.

3 Justin 3
06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I played a Ranked Versus game online yesterday.

Holy f*** is NHL 11 broken.

The AI is so crappy. A mutilated monkey could program better AI than EA.

Reign of Fire
06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
If you run Luongo, i wonder if he'll stay down for an hour like he does. They should make it that trainers have to come out when Luongo is hit.

Jayems
06-02-2011, 11:39 PM
HUT playoffs are a complete joke. Hope they fix it for 12.

I basically went 9-0 on a playoff run. On only 3/9 occasions, the loser on the other end of the HUT playoffs didn't quit. So I've basically won the playoffs twice... but of course, it doesn't count when they quit, yet somehow it still counts towards contracts (go figure).

Finally, some ###### cheeses me out and wins in OT in the final.

/rant.

Inferno
06-02-2011, 11:42 PM
They should have a special button combo for diving exclusive to the Canucks.

Russic
06-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I hear if you bite the controller the game gives you penalty immunity for the duration of the playoffs.

Heavy Jack
06-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I found it!!!

Hockeyguy15
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Anyone watching the E3 coverage? It started at 2

CMPunk
06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm surprised no ones been posting all the game clips

Yasa
06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm surprised no ones been posting all the game clips

You don't need to, just play NHL 11 and there you go.

3 Justin 3
06-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen any clips yet.

If someone knows where they are, post them. The gameplay just from listening to EA sounds exactly the same, which means terrible AI again.

Yasa
06-10-2011, 10:01 PM
iAtEeSDGXP8

kirant
06-10-2011, 10:32 PM
iAtEeSDGXP8
2:56 - Anybody else notices that the Pens player lost the puck while skating? Does that mean there will be emphasis on puck control players?

jar_e
06-10-2011, 10:43 PM
^^That exact play can happen in NHL 11.

likwid888
06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Actually in an interview, they said AI has been improved quite a bit. They specifically mentioned that CPU will no longer sit there and pass back and forth to one another, and will actually move around to find open space during PP's.

Cecil Terwilliger
06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
2:56 - Anybody else notices that the Pens player lost the puck while skating? Does that mean there will be emphasis on puck control players?

^^That exact play can happen in NHL 11.

And NHL 10.

All that play was is a guy using the speed boost button while skating with the puck. It makes you go faster but you often lost control of the puck.

kirant
06-11-2011, 02:17 PM
And NHL 10.

All that play was is a guy using the speed boost button while skating with the puck. It makes you go faster but you often lost control of the puck.
Huh...odd. I used speed boost all the time and only ever lost the puck if I tried to make a sharp turn. Even guys like McGrattan would hold on to the puck screaming down the wing.

3 Justin 3
06-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Actually in an interview, they said AI has been improved quite a bit. They specifically mentioned that CPU will no longer sit there and pass back and forth to one another, and will actually move around to find open space during PP's.

Wow, if that's all they improved I'll be pissed. The AI is completely broken at every facet of the game. Defense, Offense, PP, PK, breaking out, back checking, when to line change.

Also, when I get a PP I want my first unit on the ice to start a PP off. I hate when both lines will have the exact same stamina minus one little bar off for my top unit, so the game sends out line 2 instead.

Like come on, really?!?!

flamesfan6
06-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Wow, if that's all they improved I'll be pissed. The AI is completely broken at every facet of the game. Defense, Offense, PP, PK, breaking out, back checking, when to line change.

Also, when I get a PP I want my first unit on the ice to start a PP off. I hate when both lines will have the exact same stamina minus one little bar off for my top unit, so the game sends out line 2 instead.

Like come on, really?!?!

don't do auto line changes.... or override the auto line changes

likwid888
06-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Like come on, really?!?!

I said those are the things they specifically mentioned. I highly doubt that is all they will be doing and I'm sure they are very aware of the obvious issues. They also made it very clear that they will not allow the deke left, deke right and shoot goal to work every single time on a breakaway like it does now.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
06-11-2011, 08:04 PM

No, if you press left trigger while you have the puck he sort of pushes it ahead.

bubbsy
06-12-2011, 01:22 AM
those gameplay vids are extremely disappointing. the puck is still glued to players' sticks, sticks are going through the puck carrier's stick with zero impact. players are being nudged with no impact to the puck carrier's possession of the puck. and seems like skating past dmen is extremely easy.

so far this game looks like what nhl 11 should have been.

RockOnRoberts
06-12-2011, 01:32 AM

No. I think that's just L2 or LT, which pushes the puck forward and makes you skate faster.

bubbsy
06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
man, the nhl franchise announcements so far are just such baby steps..

check out the "DPP" feature added in madden

http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/videos/dynamic-player-performance-sizzle

http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/videos/dynamic-player-performance-sizzle

perfect mechanism to create hot and cold streaks in pro sports as can be sort of seen in the franchise improvement vid (also watch 3:40 to see the draft enhancements!):

http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/videos/playbook-franchise

nhl gets helmets falling off, more hit physics, and an outdoor arena. Whoopdie-doo.

bubbsy
06-13-2011, 08:59 AM
ughh, reading through some more blogs about madden is making me even more disappointed in what's been announced for nhl12.

Here are some highlights from a blog about franchise mode enhancements, almost all of which would be so useful in nhl also (http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/blog/franchise-mode):

Franchise Mode Dynamic Player Performance

I play every sports game on the market and I’ve always been frustrated by the fact that when I play a career or season mode, every game I play feels exactly the same. The players always play exactly like their ratings and there’s no such thing as having a good or bad day. It’s the one thing that has always ruined the immersion factor for me.

Think of it in the old adage of “Any Given Sunday” – there are a multitude of factors that impact how a player performs each week, and this is now replicated in Franchise mode.
If a player is inconsistent, you could see pretty significant rating swings from week-to-week.
One week you might get the 90 overall Michael Vick and the next week you might get the 70 overall Michael Vick. Or you could just get the 80 overall Michael Vick.
If a player is very consistent, their ratings will only change slightly each week and you’ll typically always know what you’re getting (example: Peyton Manning or Tom Brady).
Building around these players (and finding them in free agency and the draft) provides an entirely new layer of strategy to the game.

New Rookie Scouting System
At the start of the regular season, every draft rookie’s ratings are locked.
During each stage, you’re allowed to select a limited number of players to scout and the stage itself determines which ratings will be unlocked.
If you scout a player during the Combine stage, you will unlock his physical ratings like speed, agility and strength. If you scout them in Pro Days, you’ll unlock some of his intangibles.
If you choose to scout him during individual workouts, you’ll unlock everything…including his potential and traits. The catch is that you can only scout a small amount of players during individual workouts…so you’ll need to unlock as much information as you can before you get there.

New Free Agent Bidding Feature
When you enter free agency, you’ll need to be ready to go. This year’s feature is very fast paced and it’s designed to be hectic. You need to make decisions quickly as you target players since the other teams are not waiting for you.
You’ll face off against the other 31 teams in an interactive bidding environment as you try to win the rights to sign the player to a contract of your choosing.
If another team outbids you, just press a button to increase the bid and become the leader.

Player Roles
There are more than 20 different roles that players can earn in Franchise mode, including “QB of the Future”, “Mentor” and “Fumble Prone”.
We’ve even added a handful of new roles like ‘Playoff Performer’, ‘Trench Warrior’ and ‘Iron Man’.
Most of the roles will have an in-game impact. Shutdown Corner, for instance, impacts the ratings of the player that has it AND the QB on the opposing team.
The roles are earned or lost based on defined criteria every offseason so players will not keep them forever. Most of the roles come with logic that changes how teams approach the draft and free agency. If a team has a ‘QB of the Future’ on the roster, they will not draft a QB in the first round of the draft.
If you have a mentor on your roster, he makes the young players better as long as he’s on the team.

Franchise Mode Dynamic Gameplans
In Franchise mode, if Manning gets hurt or retires, the team will adjust their play calling so that they run the ball more if they have a lower rated QB at the helm until he progresses enough to be able to throw the ball 30-40 times a game.

New Coach Impacts
Coaches now impact players on the field positively AND negatively by a small amount.
This is meant to emulate the strengths and weaknesses that each coach has.

Hockeyguy15
06-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Bigger audience = more profit = bigger design team.

The day Madden comes out might as well be a national holiday, it's no wonder they get better treatment then NHL.

bubbsy
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Bigger audience = more profit = bigger design team.

The day Madden comes out might as well be a national holiday, it's no wonder they get better treatment then NHL.

true, but based on the features announced thus far, the nhl franchise must barely be afloat in comparison to madden.

fredr123
06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
A bit off topic, but has EA said anything about bringing out a new NHL Slapshot for the Wii this year?

Icon
06-13-2011, 11:32 AM
ughh, reading through some more blogs about madden is making me even more disappointed in what's been announced for nhl12.

Here are some highlights from a blog about franchise mode enhancements, almost all of which would be so useful in nhl also (http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/blog/franchise-mode): (http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/blog/franchise-mode%29:)

The Scouting & Free Agent signing parts would transfer easy to NHL, and be great fits IMO... just a matter of time before they're added I think.

kirant
06-13-2011, 02:36 PM
The Scouting & Free Agent signing parts would transfer easy to NHL, and be great fits IMO... just a matter of time before they're added I think.
Same with the game-to-game consistency part...if they told us how the consistency stat worked! (I'm still perplex by it. It seems goalies with 0 consistency have just as many off nights as goalies with 2...)

Diverce
06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I like what they are doing with Madden. And even though Madden does have more money for development, I can't see how hard it would be to share coding. I'm not a computer guy by any means so I could be wrong, but it would be nice if they all worked together. Create some consistency among all the franchises.

Either way, I hope that the video that they showed from E3 are just works in progress and that it's going to get better. One can only hope though. Sucks cause I'll still probably buy it

Weiser Wonder
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
It seems like they are concentrating on gimmicky stuff that's only cool the first time you see it rather than concentrating on actual gameplay. I really don't give a #### if a player's helmet can fall off from a hit.

secol
06-13-2011, 05:08 PM
man madden sounds sick.....i might actually skip nhl 12 and just get madden 12 instead

Cheerio
06-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Please bring in multiplayer franchise mode. I'm sick and tired of only being allowed to do only one season.

kirant
06-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Please bring in multiplayer franchise mode. I'm sick and tired of only being allowed to do only one season.
I just want it so I can play Franchise against friends.

Diverce
06-15-2011, 04:01 AM
With the so called improvements to the goalies and making them live and more dynamic I'm really hoping that Tim Thomas is on the cover this year.

likwid888
06-15-2011, 05:12 PM
New article on AI improvements:
http://www.operationsports.com/features/1286/ea-producer-blog-nhl-12-gameplay/

Yamer
06-15-2011, 05:40 PM

That all sounds very promising, and addresses what is IMO the weakest aspect of the series.

Still going to rent it first this year.

Diverce
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Was about to post this. Everything sounds really good and I"m actually getting excited

3 Justin 3
06-16-2011, 03:59 AM
So it seems they have tweeked the AI quite a lot. Sounds promising, but I won't say anything until a month after the game is released to see if it is an actual improvement or not. Should be, as the current AI is completely stupid.

The smarter AI alone makes the game a big improvement. Hopefully NHL 12 is a step in the right direction and not just a lateral move like NHL 11 was.

Hockeyguy15
06-16-2011, 08:03 AM
I wonder if the big feature this year is you get to control a riot if you lose game 7....Riot Be-a-pro mode?

Rob Brown
06-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Im really hoping NKL 2K13 owns next year, hopefully the extra year off is worth it.

Igottago
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Tim Thomas should get the NHL 12 cover. I know you are based in Vancouver EA, but do the right thing.

Igottago
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I wonder if the big feature this year is you get to control a riot if you lose game 7....Riot Be-a-pro mode?

Only if you use the Canucks.

Diverce
06-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Im really hoping NKL 2K13 owns next year, hopefully the extra year off is worth it.

pretty sure 2k cancelled everything with regards to hockey. Not positive, although it could be just this year. Heard they had a problem with player licencing. But if you can get Michael Jordan, probably the single hardest name and player to get, I'm pretty sure it's just a lame excuse. But by the sounds of it EA is trying to get the player styles much like 2k did with there basketball game this year. Also a lot of what they were talking about with regards to the improvements to NHL sounds like they looked at what made nba 2k11 so awesome and are trying to put it in this game

All this is just my opinion, and hopes for the upcoming game since it's the only one coming out

kirant
06-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Tim Thomas should get the NHL 12 cover. I know you are based in Vancouver EA, but do the right thing.
It'll feature Kesler then...diving and whining will be new functions...

bubbsy
06-17-2011, 07:54 AM
the AI/physics improvements in the recent blogs:

(physics)
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7039796.page

must say, does definitely sound enticing. gameplay enhancements will be very welcomed for nhl12. i suppose it is likely at the expense of improving the be a GM / franchise mode, as is seen in madden this year..

Rob Brown
06-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Hopefully they improved some of the BAGM problems... like having UFA Sid wanting 10 million a year and sitting in free agency for 2 years... Or rookies who scored 10 goals thinking they are worth 5mil per.

bubbsy
06-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Hopefully they improved some of the BAGM problems... like having UFA Sid wanting 10 million a year and sitting in free agency for 2 years... Or rookies who scored 10 goals thinking they are worth 5mil per.

i see first rounders from the past season(s) sitting in free agency for years also in my be a gm, which is brutal.

Romanrules
06-19-2011, 11:40 AM
If they are going to do anything to improve BeAGM mode, i wish they would set it up like NHL 2004 was, or how franchise mode is on MLB the show. Where you can control ticket pricing etc,. That way you can actually control how much the Salary Cap will be. And pick coaches, scouts, training staffs etc. I would like that better than now. Your GM status, would affect the type of supporting cast you could attract. They higher your ratings, the more likely you can add higher quality support staff.

Cecil Terwilliger
06-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I have an ongoing bet/agreement with a buddy on when EA will finally change the moronic strategy options.

I think it'll be another 3-5 years and have promised not to buy another NHL game until they update it.

The fact you can only choose from 3 offensive strategies and they've had the same ones for the last 10 years is laughable. And why in the hell can't you make custom PP and PK strategies in terms of the off and def aggressiveness?

I quickly skimmed that article but I didn't see that being listed as one of their fixes. As long as I can only choose from crash the net, behind the net and overload I won't be buying another NHL game.

Rob Brown
06-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I have an ongoing bet/agreement with a buddy on when EA will finally change the moronic strategy options.

I think it'll be another 3-5 years and have promised not to buy another NHL game until they update it.

The fact you can only choose from 3 offensive strategies and they've had the same ones for the last 10 years is laughable. And why in the hell can't you make custom PP and PK strategies in terms of the off and def aggressiveness?

I quickly skimmed that article but I didn't see that being listed as one of their fixes. As long as I can only choose from crash the net, behind the net and overload I won't be buying another NHL game.

EA seems to do the same thing every 5ish years.

Make a new game with a new engine, new commentators, new physics/controls, take away a lot of the features that people liked, have it be glitchy as hell and annoying to play. Then over the next 3-4 years improve and fix the bugs and add some minor stuff (light breaking sticks and broken glass and stuff people dont really care about).

Rinse.Wash.Repeat.

I really hope they go for a new Engine next year, the current one is just TOO dated, its really lacking in so many ways, they need to overhaul everything from the BaGM mode up.

Diverce
06-20-2011, 01:25 PM

I found that it wasn't so much the plays that lacked it was that the AI was so bad that if you didn't go to a specific spot with the puck the AI would just stand there and watch you. I'm hoping with the improvements to the AI that they'll actually read a play and go to open spots. And actually make the offense more dynamic.

Heavy Jack
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
And NHL 10.

Acutally I think he held down the left trigger which pushes the puck ahead. Tapping or clicking the left analog stick is what gives you the speed burst.

Edit: P "Monster" M said it first.

Heavy Jack
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/5842127/img/NHL-12-Custom-Covers/iginla-copy.png

Cecil Terwilliger
06-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Is that real?

Beerfest
06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Is that real?

No, its a fan submitted one.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150292488250996.383742.333387460995

Mazrim
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
No, its a fan submitted one.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150292488250996.383742.333387460995
Best quote from this, referencing a different Iginla one in the album:
Thats ugly. get an oilers or a team that doesent suck .

P-Rugby
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Stamkos is going to be on the cover of NHL 12
Really wish EA would put a Goalie on the cover instead

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/06/22/nhl-12-cover-athlete-is-steven-stamkos

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Stamkos is going to be on the cover of NHL 12
Really wish EA would put a Goalie on the cover instead

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/06/22/nhl-12-cover-athlete-is-steven-stamkos

Yeah, Thomas deserved it way more. Oh well, at least it's not a Blackhawk... again.

Salty Banana
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Atleast it's a Canadian.

kirant
06-22-2011, 07:56 PM
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/5842127/img/NHL-12-Custom-Covers/iginla-copy.png
Anyone want to make a larger version of this for when the game comes out?

Diverce
06-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Can I get a ps3 one... please :)

Inferno
06-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah, Thomas deserved it way more. Oh well, at least it's not a Blackhawk... again.

Atleast it's not a Canuck.

Heavy Jack
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Can I get a ps3 one... please :)

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/5927539/640/5927539.png

Heavy Jack
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/5927559/640/5927559.png

Esoteric
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Atleast it's a Canadian.

I want to punch anyone that uses this as an argument.

Hockeyguy15
06-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Anyone notice the black part of the sock on Stamkos' leg? I left a post on the NHL Facebook page mentioning that it looks like the guy missed that part with his photoshopping and they deleted my comment. Haha I guess that's what I get for trying to help.

SHOGUN
06-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Interesting that Crosby has not been on a cover yet.. whether it's 2K or EA.

Russic
06-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Interesting that Crosby has not been on a cover yet.. whether it's 2K or EA.

I'm sure they've tried. Beyond the novelty of being on a cover there isn't a whole lot of upside for the players. They have to agree to it along with the other obligations (doing some media).

valo403
06-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm sure they've tried. Beyond the novelty of being on a cover there isn't a whole lot of upside for the players. They have to agree to it along with the other obligations (doing some media).

Also possible that his deals with RBK and others have clauses that prevent him from appearing in certain things without their input etc., and EA would rather deal with someone without those restrictions.

Tyler
06-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Don't forget the curse!

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
What are the chances EA adds NCAA teams to the game?

I know, slim to none.

I would love it if they would though. Being able to have Ramage, Arnold, etc. would be nice.

valo403
06-25-2011, 01:08 PM
What are the chances EA adds NCAA teams to the game?

I know, slim to none.

I would love it if they would though. Being able to have Ramage, Arnold, etc. would be nice.

You wouldn't have them anyways, you'd have LW #12 etc. (you could customize though), and with the lawsuits they're already facing I doubt they'd want to open yet another can of worms in the whole player likeness area.

rubecube
06-25-2011, 03:34 PM
You wouldn't have them anyways, you'd have LW #12 etc. (you could customize though), and with the lawsuits they're already facing I doubt they'd want to open yet another can of worms in the whole player likeness area.

Yeah, exactly. I know you can buy custom downloads from other sources for NCAA games, but the NCAA has strict rules when it comes to using players' names and likenesses for profits. Incredibly ridiculous when you consider how much the NCAA itself profits from them but whatever.

Lucifer
06-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Anyone notice the black part of the sock on Stamkos' leg? I left a post on the NHL Facebook page mentioning that it looks like the guy missed that part with his photoshopping and they deleted my comment. Haha I guess that's what I get for trying to help.

Someone else mentioned that a few times, and their comments weren't deleted. Maybe it's because this guy had the NHL '12 cover as his profile pic. I know I mentioned it as well, and my comment was deleted, haha.

Bill Bumface
06-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Yeah, exactly. I know you can buy custom downloads from other sources for NCAA games, but the NCAA has strict rules when it comes to using players' names and likenesses for profits. Incredibly ridiculous when you consider how much the NCAA itself profits from them but whatever.

"Student Ath-aletes"

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cartman-colorado-u.png

Hockeyguy15
06-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Supposed to hear about Be-A-GM mode today

bubbsy
06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
small collision video released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B40tZv2mMPs&feature=player_detailpage

that actually looks pretty sick.

likwid888
06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
small collision video released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B40tZv2mMPs&feature=player_detailpage

that actually looks pretty sick.

Love it. My biggest pet-peeve was going full speed to hit a player, when one of our players hits him right before my and my hit ends up doing nothing at all, as I fly into the boards injuring myself.

Russic
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Ok that was pretty cool.

For those that want one less click:

B40tZv2mMPs

secol
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Love it. My biggest pet-peeve was going full speed to hit a player, when one of our players hits him right before my and my hit ends up doing nothing at all, as I fly into the boards injuring myself.
lol sorry ;)......looks nice indeed

3 Justin 3
06-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Well that's awesome. Me and my friend are going to be terrible because all game long we're just going to go for double checks.

Cecil Terwilliger
06-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Well that's awesome. Me and my friend are going to be terrible because all game long we're just going to go for double checks.

You can high five each other while pig roasting one of the Sedins!

secol
06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
looks like you'll hit your own teammate too so i wouldn't go for it too much ;)

dissentowner
06-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Come on, how many on here are going to go out of their way to absolutely destroy Tim Erixon? I know I will.

3 Justin 3
06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
One game I hit someone and literally killed him. I hit him in the d-zone and he ended up in the o-zone behind the net, and stayed down in pain for over 12 minutes (until the whistle).

I have never seen that ever except that one time, he was just lying there and couldn't get up. Me, my buddy and one of his teammates started tea-bagging him for like 7 minutes. Hilarious.

This will be minor compared to what I will do to Tim Erixon.

kirant
06-29-2011, 09:45 PM
You can high five each other while pig roasting one of the Sedins!
Why stop there? Slam one and while a 3rd person has the puck, try to double team the other.

Hockeyguy15
06-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Turns out the Be A GM info isn't until Friday now...Lame.

Esoteric
06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Sim Engine Blog is out today

I’m happy to say that we’ve completely re-written our Sim Engine from scratch

http://www.ea.com/nhl/blog/nhl-12-sim-engine-blog

secol
06-30-2011, 08:11 PM
interesting....sounds like you can get tossed from the faceoff circle

kirant
06-30-2011, 08:37 PM
interesting....sounds like you can get tossed from the faceoff circle
I believe it means the Sim will occasionally kick players from the FO circle (Which it already does if you use the Sim Game function). They took out being able to kick players a while ago...

Yamer
07-03-2011, 11:18 PM
The new sim engine and Action Tracker is cool, but they Be A GM blog was extremely underwhelming. A promise of a more refined trade system (promised every year), modified contract demands, and retired numbers. Meh.

kirant
07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
The new sim engine and Action Tracker is cool, but they Be A GM blog was extremely underwhelming. A promise of a more refined trade system (promised every year), modified contract demands, and retired numbers. Meh.
Any news on whether they've fixed the broken RFA system yet? NHL11 became way too easy to draft via RFA instead of forcing actual drafting as the AI basically refused to match fair contracts (never matching my long term, low cap hit contacts like 4 million/5 years for Doughty or 3 million/4 years for Setoguchi).

bubbsy
07-04-2011, 09:17 AM
man, compared to madden, the be a gm updates were basically non-existent.

what a disappointment this game sounds like it's going to be thus far.

basically, the updates summarize to:
- fixing AI in game play
- further enhancements to collisions
- gimicky stuff that only happens 1-2 times a season (winter classic, broken glass, hits into bench, goalie fights)
- improving sim engine
- goalie collisions (from what i've read, this already seems buggy, ie. getting pushed into goalie by defender, yet receiving an interference penalty)

that is extremely underwhelming.

Yamer
07-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Any news on whether they've fixed the broken RFA system yet? NHL11 became way too easy to draft via RFA instead of forcing actual drafting as the AI basically refused to match fair contracts (never matching my long term, low cap hit contacts like 4 million/5 years for Doughty or 3 million/4 years for Setoguchi).

Not that I have heard. And I didn't know you could lowball them so bad!? There are always a good chunk of RFA's that sit there for several years asking for 6-10 million.

They did say that the contract demands would be more reasonable. No word if any of it is based on performance.

kirant
07-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Not that I have heard. And I didn't know you could lowball them so bad!? There are always a good chunk of RFA's that sit there for several years asking for 6-10 million.
I always dropped 1-2 million off their salary and upped the year by 1-2. It worked for most players that weren't asking for 7-10 million. You couldn't get star players that way, but it gave you everything those non-top 5 draft picks would.

Flash Walken
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Signing Bobby Ryan to an 8 year deal for 4.1 per really helped me with my team building.

likwid888
07-04-2011, 10:58 AM
man, compared to madden, the be a gm updates were basically non-existent.

what a disappointment this game sounds like it's going to be thus far.

basically, the updates summarize to:
- fixing AI in game play
- further enhancements to collisions
- gimicky stuff that only happens 1-2 times a season (winter classic, broken glass, hits into bench, goalie fights)
- improving sim engine
- goalie collisions (from what i've read, this already seems buggy, ie. getting pushed into goalie by defender, yet receiving an interference penalty)

that is extremely underwhelming.

I agree, if that's all they add to the next generation of the game, then I will be extremely disappointed. Aside from the Winter Classic, a lot of these things sound like they could have been done via a paid update. There is no way they spent a year full-time, developing those things in your list.

Hockeyguy15
07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I happen to disagree, I think that they have changed quite a bit and I am excited.

-Fixed AI in gameplay....How is that underwhelming?
-Further enhancements to collisions....Sweet, you can hit your own players now too.
-Gimicky stuff...Don't really care so whatever.
-Improved sim engie...No more 3rd line plug getting 50 goals, sweet.
-Goalie collisions...I haven't read that it's a major issue like you make it sound, I'm sure it will require some tweaking though.

Sounds like some good upgrades that they couldn't have done via a paid update to me.

Kipper is King
07-04-2011, 12:28 PM
How about fixing the headsets on PS3? I'm sure my EASHL teammates miss ignoring my screams for them to pass to me!

Yasa
07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I happen to disagree, I think that they have changed quite a bit and I am excited.

-Fixed AI in gameplay....How is that underwhelming?
-Further enhancements to collisions....Sweet, you can hit your own players now too.
-Gimicky stuff...Don't really care so whatever.
-Improved sim engie...No more 3rd line plug getting 50 goals, sweet.
-Goalie collisions...I haven't read that it's a major issue like you make it sound, I'm sure it will require some tweaking though.

Sounds like some good upgrades that they couldn't have done via a paid update to me.

Other than goalie collisions, these are the same features they advertise every year and the games still come out mediocre. I wouldn't mind if they were $40, but they're charging full price for half a game. It'd be nice if they could release roster updates for every version up to 5 years previous.

Yamer
07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I always dropped 1-2 million off their salary and upped the year by 1-2. It worked for most players that weren't asking for 7-10 million. You couldn't get star players that way, but it gave you everything those non-top 5 draft picks would.

Speaking of drafting, I know that in the real world it can be somewhat of a gamble...but it's nothing like in this series. There is no informed decision making whatsoever. Even with a maxed scout I can only probably scout about 50% of the draft class, and it doesn't give you very much information.

calgaryrocks
07-04-2011, 03:41 PM
haha I'm still rocking NHL08 for my comp, plan on getting a ps3 this summer/fall then NHL12, about time for a new one. roster updates for older versions would be awesome. I have given up on the rosters for '08 but have Calgary mostly right (except many of the prospects obviously). I created a bartschi though
and yea I have always traded my draft picks away if possible

3 Justin 3
07-04-2011, 05:35 PM
The AI improvement can potentially make the game completely different. As of now the game is completely broken because the AI is so incredibly stupid.

If they get AI who actually understands the logistics of hockey, positioning, moving around to open space, etc. the game could be totally different...it could work!

kirant
07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Speaking of drafting, I know that in the real world it can be somewhat of a gamble...but it's nothing like in this series. There is no informed decision making whatsoever. Even with a maxed scout I can only probably scout about 50% of the draft class, and it doesn't give you very much information.
Yeah...and there are so many problems in the draft (even at max scouting). 60% of the good players have 50-55 Durability and 20% are stupid small (IE 5'8" and 160 lb)...and none of them pack on weight or height as time goes on.

valo403
07-05-2011, 12:18 PM
The AI improvement can potentially make the game completely different. As of now the game is completely broken because the AI is so incredibly stupid.

If they get AI who actually understands the logistics of hockey, positioning, moving around to open space, etc. the game could be totally different...it could work!

Agreed, if they have actually fixed the AI it's a massive improvement. I'll live with horrible Be a GM features if the actual gameplay is really good. I'll believe when I see it though.

Kipper is King
07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
In terms of the AI, this bugs me...

You are down by one goal with 1:30 to go in the game. You take a penalty. The AI keeps softly dumping the puck out of your zone, instead of trying to tie the game. Grrrrrrrr.

likwid888
07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
The biggest piss off about the AI is in EASHL. Rather than making a clear pass out of the zone, the CPU defender will board play and allow the other team to come poke the puck from him. This happens despite having a clear pass to a teammate with the opposing team still fairly far away from him.

Hockeyguy15
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I think hockey is one of the harder games to perfect the AI. Football seems like it would be pretty easy all it is is man coverage and zone coverage, pass and run.

Hockey is more dynamic which I think gives the devs a hard time, I just wish they would figure it out already. They have had how many years developing hockey games? I don't know how to code or anything but someone in the world has to know how to make the game work.

valo403
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I think hockey is one of the harder games to perfect the AI. Football seems like it would be pretty easy all it is is man coverage and zone coverage, pass and run.

Hockey is more dynamic which I think gives the devs a hard time, I just wish they would figure it out already. They have had how many years developing hockey games? I don't know how to code or anything but someone in the world has to know how to make the game work.

Yeah, except that's not true at all. The Madden developers have done incredible things with the AI. Players reading blocks, defenders taking correct pursuit angles, coverages being disguised, the list goes on and on. It went from a simple game into the incredibly complex and dynamic game that football actually is. The NHL series has added a couple things here or there over the years but continues to have massive holes in terms of AI.

CaptainCrunch
07-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, except that's not true at all. The Madden developers have done incredible things with the AI. Players reading blocks, defenders taking correct pursuit angles, coverages being disguised, the list goes on and on. It went from a simple game into the incredibly complex and dynamic game that football actually is. The NHL series has added a couple things here or there over the years but continues to have massive holes in terms of AI.

I agree with that. But at the end of the day, the AI is not as effective against Human players. The problem with hockey AI is completely different from football because Hockey is a far more motion based game with the player being able to do a lot of things with every step.

With Madden its a burst game.

But Madden's AI has come a long way. I can barely rush for 1800 yards a season as a running back.

theinfinitejar
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree with that. But at the end of the day, the AI is not as effective against Human players. The problem with hockey AI is completely different from football because Hockey is a far more motion based game with the player being able to do a lot of things with every step.

With Madden its a burst game.

But Madden's AI has come a long way. I can barely rush for 1800 yards a season as a running back.
I would say that hockey is probably the most difficult sport to try and program AI for (probably because hockey might be the most mentally taxing sport in the world). Hockey's a much more free flowing game than basketball or football and I would imagine having to program the read and react game of hockey is more difficult than almost any other sport.

valo403
07-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I would say that hockey is probably the most difficult sport to try and program AI for (probably because hockey might be the most mentally taxing sport in the world). Hockey's a much more free flowing game than basketball or football and I would imagine having to program the read and react game of hockey is more difficult than almost any other sport.

I don't know anything about programming, but I think people are seriously underestimating just how many read and react and flow type situations occur in football. The initial positioning may be static, but from there it's a series of very subtle movements that make all the difference in a game looking and playing like tecmo bowl and the current version we have. Not to mention you're programming twice as many players.

bubbsy
07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't know anything about programming, but I think people are seriously underestimating just how many read and react and flow type situations occur in football. The initial positioning may be static, but from there it's a series of very subtle movements that make all the difference in a game looking and playing like tecmo bowl and the current version we have. Not to mention you're programming twice as many players.

first off, tecmo bowl pt 2 (forget what it was, but on the nes still), was the greatest football game ever.

like it had memory, full stats and you could play the whole season, unreal!!!

secondly, i think football is extremely difficult, considering the different types of motion (O/D lines) to receivers running their routes as their bumping into LBs, or off DBs. then you have guys back in coverage, man or zone, that break off their coverage when the ball is in the air.

your first post had it, pursuit angles, blocking and avoiding blocking, coverage hiding.

the fact that a defencemen can skate backwards and continue to stick handle the puck, or that a player's stick (which is controlling a puck) is completely invisible to contact with other sticks, especially in the motion of passing/shooting, the list can go on. from a simulation of the raw motions and physics of a game, hockey's naturally on the lower spectrum of the EA titles. And the "ya but they generate much lower revenues" is completely relevant also.

Just sucks for me, since NHL is the only game video game i play, and i play it a lot.

boydo-66
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Couldn't agree more, it was a awesome game and in my opinion a good step up from NHL 10, so i'm going to get NHL 12

Icon
07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
I really don't understand the NHL11 hate either... I never bought it, but I played the demo and the final game at other people's houses... yes it was different than 10. But the arguements that it's different in terms of pace / hitting / shot speed / passing speed / etc... are all settings in the menu. Just change them... tweak it to how you like it.

Suppose the online play is different, but I've never bothered with it so... :P

kirant
07-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I really don't understand the NHL11 hate either... I never bought it, but I played the demo and the final game at other people's houses... yes it was different than 10. But the arguements that it's different in terms of pace / hitting / shot speed / passing speed / etc... are all settings in the menu. Just change them... tweak it to how you like it.

I thought it was the brutal AI everybody hated. I mean in regular games, they'll back off from you and give you ample time to make perfect shots if you're playing on your own...and play on Be a Pro, and they'll do nothing but pass between the winger and the D behind him.

DownhillGoat
07-06-2011, 09:19 AM
are all settings in the menu. Just change them... tweak it to how you like it.

Yep. That right there.

Icon
07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I thought it was the brutal AI everybody hated. I mean in regular games, they'll back off from you and give you ample time to make perfect shots if you're playing on your own...and play on Be a Pro, and they'll do nothing but pass between the winger and the D behind him.

I agree, the AI was noticeably different than NHL10, kind of forgot about that... though they did fix (a bit) the massive jumps between difficulty settings. In 10 the only way to get it to a makes-sense level is to put it on a lower difficulty, then adjust all the sliders up. At the highest setting EVERY pass is tape to tape, the AI learning basically reads your mind no matter how often you "change styles" (ie: every time up the ice), and good luck ever getting the puck to begin with.

I felt they fixed that in 11... but agree with the "backing off"... seemed like they'd rather just block shots / pick up rebounds than come steal the puck.

Yamer
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
As mentioned before, my general 'hate' towards the game stems from some pretty piss poor (that's alliteration!) AI and the fact that the mode I play the most (Be A GM) has grown very stale.

The AI tweaks in '12 ring hollow, due to the fact it is always a promise that falls short. Combine that with the two paragraph blog on the Be A GM changes and the new installment doesn't leave me terribly excited.

Inferno
07-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Sharks intro

vyta-3Z2OUE

valo403
07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Sharks intro

vyta-3Z2OUE

Oh good, the commentary is 100% the same and just as annoying as ever.

3 Justin 3
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Good EA, focus on stuff that makes no difference to the game at all. All this does is slow the game down even more. Next thing you'll tell me is that there now 8 pauses in each game.

Kipper is King
07-08-2011, 09:34 PM
If you watch Gamespot's On the Spot, it does seem to me that AI players are better at positioning. The EA Studio Showcase Press Conference also sows off some specific clips, and the NHL part starts about ten minutes in.

kirant
07-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Oh good, the commentary is 100% the same and just as annoying as ever.
I'm not sure they had the Shark mouth before. :eek:

Honestly, I don't mind the commentary...I turn it off and replace it with my own. If the AI is good and the physics actually let me pick up loose pucks in front of my opponent's net, I'm happy.

kirant
07-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Well, there goes realistic goalie collisions
7GsvbvkhUtQ

Mazrim
07-09-2011, 09:27 PM
That's a Luongo quality flop by Crawford there!

secol
07-10-2011, 11:15 AM
the AI looks like it actually avoids hits now

Cecil Terwilliger
07-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Good to see they're using the same goalie animations that they've used for the last 10 years.

sigh.

dobbles
07-10-2011, 11:37 AM
7GsvbvkhUtQ

wow, the gameplay looks EXACTLY as awful as it has been the last couple years. thats why its nothing but hollow words when every year they say they have improved and overhauled the AI. it never changes. so they managed to fix the sim bug in gm mode and added some minor tertiary eye candy that 99% of people don't want. congrats EA on being a worthless company as usual!

dobbles
07-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure they had the Shark mouth before. :eek:

Honestly, I don't mind the commentary...I turn it off and replace it with my own. If the AI is good and the physics actually let me pick up loose pucks in front of my opponent's net, I'm happy.

its kind of hard to be bothered by the commentary when you aren't listening to it!

isn't that indicative of why it sucks when you have to turn it off???

Kipper is King
07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
If it's a demo being shown, don't they usually ramp up the degree of new features like goalie collisions? I bet in the final game, they will not be that bizarre.

Kefka
07-10-2011, 05:58 PM
what a terrible goal. the CPU super man double deflects a randomly deflected shot. yuck

Igottago
07-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Nothing too exciting there. Didn't they have the shark entrance and others like that in an older version of NHL? So now they bring it back and its touted as a new feature? Pretty lame. Gameplay didn't look all that different either. Hasn't been enough to entice me to get NHL 12 yet.

Kefka
07-10-2011, 06:15 PM
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4868/eaports2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/691/eaports.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/691/eaports.jpg/http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1403/eaports.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4868/eaports.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4868/eaports.jpg

kirant
07-10-2011, 06:17 PM
its kind of hard to be bothered by the commentary when you aren't listening to it!

isn't that indicative of why it sucks when you have to turn it off???
I just meant I don't care about the commentary's quality because it's turned off...even if it was actually good.

Yasa
07-10-2011, 08:43 PM
If it's a demo being shown, don't they usually ramp up the degree of new features like goalie collisions? I bet in the final game, they will not be that bizarre.

Are you new to the series?

Kipper is King
07-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Are you new to the series?

Haha, no. I have enjoyed recent NHL games. While they have their flaws, I'm confident I will enjoy this one.

Finny61
07-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Thoughts and prayers.

Inferno
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Edmonton's intro. Looks like Kipper's mask is different too.

swz5Fc8JJUI

Yamer
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
What an enormous waste of resources.

CaptainCrunch
07-11-2011, 10:34 AM
I hear that the Canucks entrance involves them all falling when they enter the ice surface.