PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Network Users: Check Your Passwords and Credit Cards

FanIn80
04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/sony-says-psn-intrusion-compromised-personal-info-hopes-to-ha/

So, what did the bad guys manage to steal? Uhh ... just about everything, it seems. Here's what's in the definitely jacked column: "name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID." Our takeaway: you'd better start changing passwords if you use the same one frequently. We'll leave the decision on whether or not to pack your bags and move away up to you.

In the possibly jacked column: "profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers." That leaves your credit card information, which ... well, we'll let Sony tell you itself: "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained." Yikes.

Was posted in the Xbox vs PS3 thread, but this definitely needs a thread of its own. I just went through my emails and found which card I have registered with them. Now I have to phone my bank...

"To see what card you used w/ PlayStation Network, check your emails from 'DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net.'" Once you've figured out what that card is, call your bank and tell them you think it may have been compromised.

Hemi-Cuda
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
well now i'm actually thankful that PSN would never accept my credit card #, even though i use it for everything else including Xbox live without hassle

Huntingwhale
04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
That is why I never use my credit card when purchashing any xbox live membership/points. A quick trip to the store is much safer.

secol
04-26-2011, 05:11 PM
glad i'm a cheapo and never used CC

Mccree
04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I used to have my CC attached to my PSN but removed it when I started sharing accounts.

Bob
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Hmmm... I think I attached my CC# years ago to buy some Rock Band tracks. I don't even remember my login ...

What a pain.

Option84
04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
One week of knowing our credit cards have been compromised without telling us? Not to mention storing them in plain text WITHOUT encryption?? This is the crappiest company ever. (Don't forget the rootkits secretly installed on people's computers with their audio CDs a few years ago). I'm done. I hope that this company goes out of business for good.

Bertuzzied
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Your credit card is the safest thing you can use to buy stuff online.

Thats a bit of an overreaction.

drewboy12
04-26-2011, 05:52 PM
nm

HPLovecraft
04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
A link with context would be good:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.
Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name

"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.

Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

VANFLAMESFAN
04-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Don't think I used my CC number on my ps3 for anything outside of signing up for Netflix. Will this be compromised??

photon
04-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Two threads merged.

Hack&Lube
04-26-2011, 06:16 PM
The official line:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/#non-us

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:
Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

RougeUnderoos
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
"To see what card you used w/ PlayStation Network, check your emails from 'DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net.'" Once you've figured out what that card is, call your bank and tell them you think it may have been compromised"

I checked that email and it doesn't even mention a credit card. Does that mean I'm in the clear? I can't remember if I ever bought anything over that network, but I thought I had to put in CC information just to get on the damn network. Not true?

Hack&Lube
04-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I kind of wish I had a functional PS3 right now and had registered with a rebate credit card or something now because I smell a class action lawsuit brewing.

FanIn80
04-26-2011, 06:34 PM
"To see what card you used w/ PlayStation Network, check your emails from 'DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net.'" Once you've figured out what that card is, call your bank and tell them you think it may have been compromised"

I checked that email and it doesn't even mention a credit card. Does that mean I'm in the clear? I can't remember if I ever bought anything over that network, but I thought I had to put in CC information just to get on the damn network. Not true?

I had to go through all of them until I found the confirmation email I received when I first attached my card to my account. It doesn't show up in the purchase receipt emails.

Jbo
04-26-2011, 06:36 PM
My Card is on there and I'm pissed. Worst off I even paid for the Playstation plus because I had a save game I wanted to move and didnt have a USB so paid for the cloud storage.

Absolutely brutal. I hope there is a class action brewing.

psicodude
04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I purchased some cards for NHL 11. I wonder if it's Sony or EA that has my CC#?

jschick88
04-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Glad I didn't give them my CC. I just buy those PSN gift cards everytime I want to purchase something.

Bob
04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Are we able to login at all and check our account details? I know I purchased like $15 worth of "points" about two years ago, but that's the only thing I ever bought and I'm not sure if they save your CC# automatically or if you have to opt in to such association.

Normally I never let retailers keep my CC info on file if I can help it ...

Edit: Looking at my email records, I see I provided completely bogus information for my name, address, postal code, and birth date. I also had no "CreditCard" info on my original "Welcome to Playstation Network" email. Possibly a good sign.

photon
04-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Nice that they didn't give any country relevant information for people that live outside the US. Thanks Sony.

BlackArcher101
04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
My Card is on there and I'm pissed. Worst off I even paid for the Playstation plus because I had a save game I wanted to move and didnt have a USB so paid for the cloud storage.

Absolutely brutal. I hope there is a class action brewing.

Woah settle down there. A credit card is one of the easiest things to resolve if it's compromised. It's a matter of getting any charges reversed and a new card/#. Isn't the end of the world here.

Class action lawsuit for what type of damages?

Imagine how many smaller companies out there have been compromised and simply don't say anything? It's those that I'm more worried about.

DownhillGoat
04-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Woah settle down there. A credit card is one of the easiest things to resolve if it's compromised. It's a matter of getting any charges reversed and a new card/#. Isn't the end of the world here.
True, but it's a serious PITA. And takes a while to reverse said charges.

42 passwords I'm in the midst of changing. only 28 to go. Wheeee!

Nice that they didn't give any country relevant information for people that live outside the US. Thanks Sony.
Equifax and TransUnion are the ones used in Canada as well.

Sr. Mints
04-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I just went through this a few months ago, and changed all my passwords and then installed a password manager. Sony failing Internet Security 101 kind of surprises me, though.

Russic
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
True, but it's a serious PITA. And takes a while to reverse said charges.

42 passwords I'm in the midst of changing. only 28 to go. Wheeee!

Equifax and TransUnion are the ones used in Canada as well.

Why do you have to change all your passwords?

DownhillGoat
04-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Just precautionary/paranoid/whatever. I changed anything that used the same email address or username as my PSN id, as well as all my banking/cc sing-ins just in case.

Hack&Lube
04-27-2011, 01:32 AM

If you use the same password on many websites or for many services and accounts and it happened to be the same password as you used for PSN (even worse if you used the same username), then the hacker has access to your name and e-mail and contact information and he can tie in the password he stole from the database to your personal information and that's all he needs to get into your accounts.

Why Sony didn't encrypt the password database is beyond me. Most places, when they get infiltrated, will only have something like e-mail addresses stolen but the hackers can't get into the passwords if the entire database is heavily encrypted.

Russic
04-27-2011, 07:45 AM
If you use the same password on many websites or for many services and accounts and it happened to be the same password as you used for PSN (even worse if you used the same username), then the hacker has access to your name and e-mail and contact information and he can tie in the password he stole from the database to your personal information and that's all he needs to get into your accounts.

Why Sony didn't encrypt the password database is beyond me. Most places, when they get infiltrated, will only have something like e-mail addresses stolen but the hackers can't get into the passwords if the entire database is heavily encrypted.

I can definitely see if your using the same password for things tied to that email address. He didn't mention that he was sharing passwords though, so I assumed he wasn't.

Ah well, it's good practice to change those out every now and then anyways. Obviously it's best if this isn't the reason.

Probably a good time to yet again mention how much I love 1password. Helps you create and store passwords for everything. It would really be handy for an exercise like this.

DownhillGoat
04-27-2011, 07:57 AM
I can definitely see if your using the same password for things tied to that email address. He didn't mention that he was sharing passwords though, so I assumed he wasn't.
Variations of it or a few things. Nothing overly sensitive. Mostly forums, etc.
Figured since I was changing some I may as well change anything that is associated with my PSN email while I was at it. Like you said, it's not a bad idea to change passwords now and then anyways.

Thanks for the 1password suggestion. I'll take a look at it. Are there any options to make it portable (ie on an encrypted USB stick) so a guy can use it at work, etc? Or is it only for use on your main computer?

OutOfTheCube
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Good thing my credit card is basically maxed out. Joke's on you, hackers!

FanIn80
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Another +1 for 1password. Combined with DropBox, it's become indispensable to me.

I mean that literally, btw. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to remember those 20-character passwords with symbols, case-changes and digits that I've been generating for things... :ph34r:

3 Justin 3
04-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Boy do I hope they find the hackers. Because they won't just get sued but totally ass-fataed back to the 1500's.

Mccree
04-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Not that it matters but did Sony sent everyone an e-mail other those they think were affected? I got an e-mail so I am just wondering.

Sliver
04-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I didn't get an email.

Sliver
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I didn't get an email.

Scratch that...just received an email.

BlackEleven
04-27-2011, 06:05 PM
There are reports of Sony users having their credit cards use fradulently:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/ars-readers-report-credit-card-fraud-blame-sony.ars

http://vgn365.com/2011/04/26/psn-users-reporting-hundred-of-dollars-stolen-from-them/

Sony is now facing a lawsuit:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20057921-260.html

FanIn80
04-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Wow. It will be interesting to see how they recover from this. I know I won't be using my CC with them anymore.

LockedOut
04-27-2011, 08:31 PM
There are reports of Sony users having their credit cards use fradulently:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/ars-readers-report-credit-card-fraud-blame-sony.ars

http://vgn365.com/2011/04/26/psn-users-reporting-hundred-of-dollars-stolen-from-them/

Hard to come to the conclusion these fraud actions were a result of the hacking of PSN. It could easily be something else. Fraud happens all the time and there were 77 million PSN accounts. Easily a coincidence. (ie. don't panic)

HPLovecraft
04-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Hard to come to the conclusion these fraud actions were a result of the hacking of PSN. It could easily be something else. Fraud happens all the time and there were 77 million PSN accounts. Easily a coincidence. (ie. don't panic)

Or, it could as easily be the hackers that gained access to your credit card information.

LockedOut
04-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Or, it could as easily be the hackers that gained access to your credit card information.
nm

BlackEleven
04-27-2011, 09:02 PM

That is of course possible. But are you willing to bet your credit card on it?

psicodude
04-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Boy do I hope they find the hackers. Because they won't just get sued but totally ass-fataed back to the 1500's.

Fat chance. Did you know the chances of a hacker getting caught and prosecuted are slightly lower than winning the lottery? No, seriously.

Sony not only screwed up in allowing the hack to happen, but their handling of the entire situation is alarming to say the least.

Josh
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, this isn't the first time my CC has been compromised and its not the last either. Guess I need to call my bank. Although I can't say I'm all up in arms about this.....

DownhillGoat
04-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I had a temporary hold placed on my CC. While the customer service rep was doing this we discussed the finer points of fraudulent card use. In my card's case, the zero liability was only in effect if my PS account did not have the same password/pin as my online banking. Found that quite interesting.

While I was requesting a new number for my other card, I was told by a customer rep supervisor that they weren't concerned about my number being used fraudulently as Sony hasn't confirmed CC info was accessed. I mentioned the ars technica article that BlackEleven had posted. I realize that the chances may be slim that my card number gets used based on the number of cards that would have been accessed, and the ars technica article may have been based on coincidence. The fraudulent use could have come from maintaining the same username/password for banking and PSN which I wouldn't think is an issue for most. Don't really care. It's not worth the hassle to have an all-expense paid trip to Costa Rica that I'm not on show up on my card. Even if I'm not liable, I still have to cover the payment and interest until the dispute is settled and the funds are rebated.

Not sure if the Canadian numbers for Equifax and TransUnion are the same as the US ones given in Sony's email, but here's the websites.

Equifax (http://www.consumer.equifax.ca/home/en_ca)

TransUnion (http://www.transunion.ca/)

I've found getting a credit check online is much easier than trying to do it over the phone. Just a heads up. If you're going for a credit check, make sure you have access to bank statements, all your CC info, loan info, previous addresses. As much financial history as you have, as the questions to get it are usually extensive (last time they asked me for a PO box I had for a short amount of time over 15 years ago.)

Both services offer credit reporting (they contact you if something is amiss, instead of you checking your credit every so often). Equifax offers insurance for identity theft, if you're into that sort of thing. I found that TD Meloche Monnex does as well, so I would assume other car/home insurance companies also do.

I plan on doing some research on 1password that FanIn80 mentioned. I also found this option:

IronKey (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/99f1/)

My biggest disappointment in this whole situation is the fact that Sony had the information on their blog almost two full days before emailing users. They manage to email me offers and upcoming games weeks before they're out, but this they manage to delay.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but hopefully some other PSN users can find something useful in my ramblings :D

--- Update from the Playstation blog ---

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

BlackEleven
04-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I called my CC company as well and they cancelled my card immediately on the spot. They also suggested using TransUnion or Equifax in case of identity theft. Any idea what those services cost and how effective they are?

I also changed a few of my online passwords. I didn't reuse the PSN password anywhere, but it's something that should be done from time to time anyway, and I figured now was as good of a time as any.

This is turning out to be a much bigger pain than I expected.

What really bugs me about the whole situation is that a company that has gone to such great lengths to "protect" their own data -- root kits, lawsuits and closed proprietary standards -- can be so cavalier with their customer's data. Sony should have the resources and the know how to prevent this sort of thing. Of course, I realize I'm talking about the same company that authored this gem:

#define rand() 4

DownhillGoat
04-28-2011, 08:39 AM
They also suggested using TransUnion or Equifax in case of identity theft. Any idea what those services cost and how effective they are?
Equifax site lists the Credit Watch service at $15 a month. Single Credit Report is $20, and Credit Score is $25. From my experience the basic credit report is enough to detect fraud. Although as I pointed out in my previous post, you'll only detect it when you get a credit report, whatever the frequency may be. With the Credit Watch, Equifax will alert you of suspicious activity.

I've found the information to be fairly accurate (I've had one inaccuracy in the last 10 years of checking these periodically) which makes it effective if someone's created a new card/loan/whatever under your name.

Russic
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Variations of it or a few things. Nothing overly sensitive. Mostly forums, etc.
Figured since I was changing some I may as well change anything that is associated with my PSN email while I was at it. Like you said, it's not a bad idea to change passwords now and then anyways.

Thanks for the 1password suggestion. I'll take a look at it. Are there any options to make it portable (ie on an encrypted USB stick) so a guy can use it at work, etc? Or is it only for use on your main computer?

Not only is the answer yes, but I'd say 1Password doesn't reach full potential until you use it on your mobile devices as well. It's available for both iOS devices and adroid devices.

As Fanin80 mentioned, you can have your passwords sync via dropbox, so when I sign up for a website and save the password, it's immediately available to me on my iPhone and iPad.

I saw an interesting video on hacking last month by a hacker who had his laptop stolen. It was actually a pretty funny clip... the guy ended up installing a keylogger on his computer and was able to record the keystrokes of the guy who stole his computer. He had several lessons at the end of the talk and one was that by using something like 1Password you aren't typing in passwords, which makes it difficult for keyloggers to get access to those.

One thing that has always interested me about online credit card fear: I bet very few people who are freaked out about this have much trouble with handing their credit card over to a server at a restaurant. I knew a guy who worked as a safeway cashier who could memorize your CC# and all he had to do was pretend to be looking at the name and signature.

getbak
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
You can get a free credit report from either Equifax or TransUnion because it's required by law for them to provide it, but they make you jump through some hoops to get it...

http://www.equifax.com/ecm/canada/EFXCreditReportRequestForm.pdf

http://www.transunion.ca/docs/personal/Consumer_Disclosure_Request_Form_en.pdf

Or, you can pay their fee and get it online immediately.

DownhillGoat
04-28-2011, 09:06 AM
One thing that has always interested me about online credit card fear: I bet very few people who are freaked out about this have much trouble with handing their credit card over to a server at a restaurant.
That always makes me chuckle. My mom hates using her credit card online, and only even started to after I pointed out she has no problems giving her card to the 16 year old kid at the full service station while she waits in the car. Worst part of that is your CSV number is on the back of the card.

The Yen Man
04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
I love how some posters on gaming messages boards are comparing Sony to BP. One was one of the biggest ecological disasters in history. The other requires most people to spend 10 minutes changing passwords, and won't let people play games on-line for about a week. Yah, that's really comparable...

Burninator
04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
As Fanin80 mentioned, you can have your passwords sync via dropbox, so when I sign up for a website and save the password, it's immediately available to me on my iPhone and iPad.So how does that work exactly? Do you copy and paste your passwords then or...?

Russic
04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
So how does that work exactly? Do you copy and paste your passwords then or...?

1Password pulls everything from one heavily encrypted master file. You can have it on your system and sync manually via wifi, or you can put the master file in your dropbox. If it's in there the changes just get pushed out to all your devices.

Edit: Or are you asking how that is used on a mobile device? Just in case you are:

You can log into the app, select your login and either view your username/password combo or you can click a link and it will launch the page within the app and populate all the necessary fields. Feels just like mobile safari, but it's 1passwords browser.

sclitheroe
04-28-2011, 02:52 PM
He had several lessons at the end of the talk and one was that by using something like 1Password you aren't typing in passwords, which makes it difficult for keyloggers to get access to those.

Lol... If I have enough privileges on your system to install a keylogger, I have enough to inspect the Windows message queues and debug processes....I don't think 1Password and its ilk is anywhere near as secure as people make it out to be.

I think it's probably great at managing passwords, but I really 100% believe it adds very little to the overall security of doing online transactions the way things are today.

Jbo
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Side note on the credit report is that every single time you pull it, it lowers your credit score. It is actually viewed as a red flag if you get it pulled even a couple times a year.

Having it happen once is not a big deal. but I would not be doing it too often.

Mazrim
04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Side note on the credit report is that every single time you pull it, it lowers your credit score. It is actually viewed as a red flag if you get it pulled even a couple times a year.

I'm assuming the people with Credit Watch aren't paying $15 a month to lower their credit score though, correct?

Diemenz
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Soft hits vs Hard hits are completely different on how they effect your credit score.

A creditor checking your score (credit card app or similar) effect score. A soft hit (job interview check, self check) do not.

Russic
04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Lol... If I have enough privileges on your system to install a keylogger, I have enough to inspect the Windows message queues and debug processes....I don't think 1Password and its ilk is anywhere near as secure as people make it out to be.

I think it's probably great at managing passwords, but I really 100% believe it adds very little to the overall security of doing online transactions the way things are today.

I'd say it definitely contributes to smarter password management, and that in itself is worth the price of admission IMO. The fact that I have about 50 passwords and not a one is less than 10 characters or a duplicate is a huge advantage to safety.

True my keylogger example wasn't the strongest, I just thought it was a unique perspective from a type of person I'd never though of.

Hack&Lube
04-29-2011, 06:40 AM
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/psn-database-containing-2-2million-credit-cards-now-up-sale-85702/

2.2 Million credit cards, usernames, passwords, addresses, etc. are now up for sale.

Esoteric
04-29-2011, 07:20 AM
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/psn-database-containing-2-2million-credit-cards-now-up-sale-85702/

2.2 Million credit cards, usernames, passwords, addresses, etc. are now up for sale.

That links goes to a rumour, and it's been announced that credit card information was encrypted.

kdogg
04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't know much about encryption..... even if the credit information was encrypted, these guys seem to be really good at what they do, couldn't they easily break the encryption if they had that information?

kdogg
04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I took a bit of time last night to go through all my passwords on various sites and change them, even though my PSN password was different.

I think the biggest thing wasn't the password change, but trying to remember what security question I used on for my PSN account. Even though you change a password, some sites can reset your password with your security question are at a risk.

johnnyrocket03
04-29-2011, 08:30 AM
whats really grinding my gear (perhaps wrong thread) is that we cant get back in to change our information. i'd feel a lot better if i could change my password and remove my CC info...

BlackEleven
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
whats really grinding my gear (perhaps wrong thread) is that we cant get back in to change our information. i'd feel a lot better if i could change my password and remove my CC info...

That'd be closing the barn door after the horse has already escaped.

Burninator
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
1Password pulls everything from one heavily encrypted master file. You can have it on your system and sync manually via wifi, or you can put the master file in your dropbox. If it's in there the changes just get pushed out to all your devices.

Edit: Or are you asking how that is used on a mobile device? Just in case you are:

You can log into the app, select your login and either view your username/password combo or you can click a link and it will launch the page within the app and populate all the necessary fields. Feels just like mobile safari, but it's 1passwords browser.I was more curious of the second one. That makes sense, but how do you use it for your iTunes password on your iOS stuff? Or do you have to remember that one?

Burninator
04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-8Wvvm6p/0/XL/i-8Wvvm6p-XL.jpg

Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/4/29/editorializin/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pa-mainsite+%28Penny+Arcade%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

secol
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
i don't even remember what PW i used for PSN so hoping to get on ASAP so i can change out accounts that i have which have the same PW

Russic
04-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I was more curious of the second one. That makes sense, but how do you use it for your iTunes password on your iOS stuff? Or do you have to remember that one?

Anything that isn't browser based is available to look at and copy to a clipboard, so it's best to remember those.

Kipper is King
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I cancelled my credit card, just to be safe.

photon
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't know much about encryption..... even if the credit information was encrypted, these guys seem to be really good at what they do, couldn't they easily break the encryption if they had that information?

Kind of depends on a lot of things, but generally if something is encrypted no they can't break it. To break it would require calculating the key, and that would usually require a supercomputer working on it until after our sun explodes.

However that's not to say that the information still isn't vulnerable.

Even if it is encrypted, the whole point of storing credit card info is so that the information can be retrieved at some point for some purpose, so somewhere in their systems the key to decrypt the card numbers is known. However if they just took the database and that key was implemented in code or stored in a physical file or some other scheme, they wouldn't have the code and the CC info would safe.

Or if they implemented the encryption incorrectly in such a way that it was vulnerable (which Sony seems to be entirely capable of).

Hack&Lube
04-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I cancelled my credit card, just to be safe.

Sony claims the credit cards were encrypted which means people should be protected. If the hackers got the key ciphers or intercepted credit cards before they were encrypted, that would be a problem then.

Hack&Lube
04-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Kind of depends on a lot of things, but generally if something is encrypted no they can't break it. To break it would require calculating the key, and that would usually require a supercomputer working on it until after our sun explodes.

However that's not to say that the information still isn't vulnerable.

Even if it is encrypted, the whole point of storing credit card info is so that the information can be retrieved at some point for some purpose, so somewhere in their systems the key to decrypt the card numbers is known. However if they just took the database and that key was implemented in code or stored in a physical file or some other scheme, they wouldn't have the code and the CC info would safe.

Or if they implemented the encryption incorrectly in such a way that it was vulnerable (which Sony seems to be entirely capable of).

Well if you go by the Sony DRM story, the PS3 master keys were supposedly encrypted but it turned out that instead of using a random number on one of the calls, Sony was always using the number 4. That's why hackers were able to break the PS3 cryptography so easily. Hopefully they were not as stupid for the credit cards.

Ozy_Flame
04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Sony claims the credit cards were encrypted which means people should be protected. If the hackers got the key ciphers or intercepted credit cards before they were encrypted, that would be a problem then.

Well, if that claim turns out to be false or credit cards are getting compromised, they're going to be in even bigger trouble than what they are currently.

I think this is the biggest, most serious threat Playstation has ever faced. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now.

photon
04-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Hopefully they were not as stupid for the credit cards.

I think we need a dart board to predict at this point. :bag:

sclitheroe
04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
I think we need a dart board to predict at this point. :bag:

This is Sony we're talking about. I'm willing to wager it's all bullseye

http://www.badstockart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/71045381-businessman-targeted-on-dartboard.jpeg

JohnnyB
04-29-2011, 09:42 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-8Wvvm6p/0/XL/i-8Wvvm6p-XL.jpg

Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/4/29/editorializin/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pa-mainsite+%28Penny+Arcade%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)
^^
What's the deal with stem cell research in there?

jschick88
04-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Sony: We will resume some PlayStation Network services, create security post, strengthen encryption after big breach.

Also, rumor is that Sony's "goodwill gesture" may not be an incredibly significant one -- affected users can expect a free 30-day subscription to PlayStation Plus and a free software download of some sort, while Qriocity customers will get an extra 30 days of service on the house.

jschick88
04-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Sony has a live press conference right now talking about what happened. You can follow the live blog below.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/01/sonys-kaz-hirai-will-address-playstation-network-hack-at-1am-et/

LockedOut
04-30-2011, 11:31 PM
2:18 JST: Yep, 30 day free PS Plus membership, 30 days of free service for Qriocity and Music Unlimited customers and a free gift of some software. Nice gesture.

2:19 JST: We missed a bit there, but it sounds like they're planning to restore full network functionality within the month. Considering it's May 1st, that could be quite a wait.

Meh.

BlackArcher101
04-30-2011, 11:58 PM
What's so Meh about a month of PS Plus?

Don't tell me you actually expected a free full game?

DownhillGoat
05-01-2011, 05:38 AM
I was kind of hoping for a free year, not a month.

I_H8_Crawford
05-01-2011, 08:29 AM
So - how long until Sony comes out and says something along the lines of:

"Because of the added costs of providing the best security and encryption available, there will now be a monthly fee for anyone who wishes to use PSN"

BlackArcher101
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I was kind of hoping for a free year, not a month.

Considering it will be down for less than a month, I don't see why they need to do more.

If this was Shaw or any other telco, they would only credit on a per day basis if there was an outage.

Russic
05-01-2011, 10:39 PM
So - how long until Sony comes out and says something along the lines of:

"Because of the added costs of providing the best security and encryption available, there will now be a monthly fee for anyone who wishes to use PSN"

Now? Never. Sony will eat this cost and it will be huge and it will come from all areas. Charging for PSN would at this point probably be the only thing more stupid than what they've already done. It's the backbone of their online strategy and being free is a big piece of the puzzle. They've lost the trust of their customers and will have to be extremely aggressive to earn them back.

psicodude
05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
All Sony Online websites and games are now down. This thing is getting stupid now and is starting to cost them money.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384771,00.asp

secol
05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
weird just this morning i heard that japan PSN was back up

Ozy_Flame
05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Ok after all this debate and media coverage, someone please just provide me with an answer since I signed up with PSN and used my credit card to purchase online content.

Should I cancel my credit card? Yes or no.

Mazrim
05-02-2011, 03:20 PM
My opinion: No. Monitor your accounts, and change passwords. That's what I have done. Cancelling a credit card is a huge pain in the ass if you use it anywhere else online and overkill.

Russic
05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Ok after all this debate and media coverage, someone please just provide me with an answer since I signed up with PSN and used my credit card to purchase online content.

Should I cancel my credit card? Yes or no.

No. I've heard (so maybe somebody can confirm) that cancelling your credit card hurts your credit rating. Just keep monitoring the activity, which you should be doing anyway. Business as usual. Make sure your username/password combo to the psn isn't used by anything else. That is more of a threat imo.

Raekwon
05-02-2011, 06:56 PM
No. I've heard (so maybe somebody can confirm) that cancelling your credit card hurts your credit rating. Just keep monitoring the activity, which you should be doing anyway. Business as usual. Make sure your username/password combo to the psn isn't used by anything else. That is more of a threat imo.

Maybe cancelling your credit card completely would hurt it by why would anyone do that, they mean cancel the card and get a new one.

Gravitykillr
05-02-2011, 09:02 PM
canceling your card and getting a replacement card doesn't hurt as you aren't getting a new credit cart but if you canceled your Scotia Card and applied for a TD Card then yes it would hurt your credit rating as it's new credit.

Russic
05-02-2011, 10:28 PM
So then I guess you can just get a new number, but as Mazrim mentioned it could be a pita to change over services connected to that number.

Flamesguy_SJ
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
So, I signed into my email this morning to find a nice phishing email supposedly from BMO, with the subject heading quoting the first couple numbers of my credit card. Said my "account" was on hold, and to check to make sure to use the link provided to ensure my information was up-to-date. The email also knew which credit card company I used.

Is it safe to say that this is due to the PSN hack? Or is it just a coincidence, and I haven't been as vigilant with my credentials as I thought?

FanIn80
05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
So, I signed into my email this morning to find a nice phishing email supposedly from BMO, with the subject heading quoting the first couple numbers of my credit card. Said my "account" was on hold, and to check to make sure to use the link provided to ensure my information was up-to-date. The email also knew which credit card company I used.

Is it safe to say that this is due to the PSN hack? Or is it just a coincidence, and I haven't been as vigilant with my credentials as I thought?

I don't think this is related. BMO uses Master Card, which starts with 5191. Sending an email with 51XX XXXX XXXX XXXX from "BMO" isn't rocket surgery.

cKy
05-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Ive been getting these BMO spam emails for months, if not over a year on 2 email accounts I have. 1 email account is strictly a junk email i use for signing up for stupid things. I dont even have a PS3 or the PSN, so no, it has NOTHING to do with the PSN hack.

Flamesguy_SJ
05-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't think this is related. BMO uses Master Card, which starts with 5191. Sending an email with 51XX XXXX XXXX XXXX from "BMO" isn't rocket surgery.

Ive been getting these BMO spam emails for months, if not over a year on 2 email accounts I have. 1 email account is strictly a junk email i use for signing up for stupid things. I dont even have a PS3 or the PSN, so no, it has NOTHING to do with the PSN hack.

Thanks guys; I just thought the timing was a little coincidental. This is the first time I've received this type of email, so I was a little nervous. So I'm guessing I ignore it completely, and nothing will come of it right? Right.

Prototype
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM

Hurt, no. Help, no.

Having minimal credit used, and making payments on time is the best way to build credit. Closing out a credit card doesn't do any harm, it just doesn't allow you to build your credit rating either.

Regulator75
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Anonymous replies to Sony blaming them for the PSN attack.

Original letter from Sony. (http://www.gamedot.co.uk/2011/05/04/sony-blames-anonymous-for-psn-hack/)

Reply letter from Anonymous. (http://www.gamedot.co.uk/2011/05/05/anonymous-it-wasnt-us/)

Lots of text - letter here Last month, an unknown party managed to break into Sony (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/sony)‘s servers and acquired millions of customer records including credit card numbers. Insomuch as that this incident occurred in the midst of Anonymous (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/anonymous)‘ OpSony, by which participants engaged in several of our standard information war procedures against the corporation and its executives, Sony and other parties have come to blame Anonymous for the heist. Today, in a letter directed to members of Congress involved in an inquiry into the situation, Sony claimed to have discovered a file on its servers, presumably left by the thieves in question, entitled “Anonymous” and containing a fragment of our slogan, “We are Legion”. In response, we would like to raise the following points:

1. Anonymous has never been known to have engaged in credit card theft.

2. Many of our corporate and governmental adversaries, on the other hand, have been known to have lied to the public about Anonymous and about their own activities. HBGary, for instance, was caught lying a number of times to the press, to the public, and to Anonymous itself (in this phone call, for instance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VENYttckfwM&feature=youtube_gdata)), CEO Aaron Barr makes a number of untrue statements regarding the intent of his “research”, claiming for instance that he never tried to sell the information to the FBI when emails acquired soon showed that he had been set to do just that; executive Karen Burke was also caught lying to Bloomberg about having not seen an incriminating email that she had in fact replied to just a few days before]. The US Chamber of Commerce lied about not having seen the criminal proposal created by them for Team Themis; Palantir lied about not having any idea what their employees were up to; Berico publicly denounced a plan that they had actively engaged in creating; etc. There is no corporation in existence will choose the truth when lies are more convenient.

3. To the contrary, Anonymous is an ironically transparent movement that allows reporters in to our operating channels to observe us at work and which has been extraordinarily candid with the press when commenting on our own activities, which is why reporters prefer no talk to us for truthful accounts of the situation rather than fallacious public relations departments of our targets.

4. In the realm of criminal investigation, there is an important aspect of investigations that should never be overlooked. The “modus operandi” of a criminal rarely changes. Whoever did perform the credit card theft did so contrary to the “modus operandi” and intentions of Anonymous. Public support is not gained by stealing credit card info and personal identities, we are trying to fight criminal activities by corporations and governments, not steal credit cards.

5. It should be remembered that several federal contractors such as HBGary and Palantir have been caught planning a variety of unethical and potentially criminal conspiracies by which to discredit the enemies of their clients. This is not a theory – this is a fact that has been reported at great length by dozens of journalists with major publications. Insomuch as that our enemies have either engaged in or planned to engage in false flag efforts, it should not be surprising that mangy of the journalists who have covered us, who know who we are and what motives us – and who have alternatively seen the monstrous behavior of those large and “respectable” firms that are all too happy to throw aside common decency at the behest of such clients as Bank of America and the US Chamber of Commerce – also have their suspicious that some capable party performed this operation as a means by which to do great damage to Anonymous in the public eye. Those who consider such a prospect to be somehow unlikely are advised to read about what was proposed by Team Themis in their efforts to destroy Wikileaks, and should otherwise take a few minutes to learn about COINTELPRO and other admitted practices by the US intelligence community. The fact is that Anontymous has brought a great deal of discomfort to powerful entities such as Booz Allen Hamilton, Palantir, and much of the federal government; the Justice Department in particular is likely happy that our efforts revealed that it was they themselves who recommended the now-discredited “law firm” Hunton & Williams to Bank of America in order that the latter might better be able to fight back against Wikileaks. Al of this is now public record, and those or other entities may have again engaged in unsavory tactics that they are known to have engaged in in the past.
If a legitimate and honest investigation into the credit card is conducted, Anonymous will not be found liable. While we are a distributed and decentralized group, our “leadership” does not condone credit card theft. We are concerned with erosion of privacy and fair use, the spread of corporate feudalism, the abuse of power and the justifications of executives and leaders who believe themselves immune personally and financially for the actions they undertake in the name of corporations and public office.

Anonymous will continue its work in support of transparency and individual liberty; our adversaries will continue their work in support of secrecy and control. The FBI will continue to investigate us for crimes of civil disobedience while continuing to ignore the crimes planned by major corporations which use their services.

We do not forgive, even if others forgive our enemies for those things for which we are attacked.
We do not forget, even if others fail to remember.
We are legion, and will remain so no matter how many of our participants are raided by armed agents of a broken system.

We are Anonymous.

Expect us.

iggyformayor
05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Apparently another attack against Sony is planned:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html?tag=rtcol;pop

BlackEleven
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Sony to offer free identity theft monitoring from Debix. Not sure if it will cover Canada or not.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-06/sony-offers-network-users-free-identity-theft-service-after-hacker-attack.html

ComixZone
05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Whether or not Anonymous actively contributed to theft as a single entity doesn't matter at this point - members of Anonymous are undoubtedly to blame for this, although they were probably working without 'consent' from the general population of the community.

It still doesn't begin to excuse Sony for their complete failure when it comes to network and storage security.

Sony's going to start rolling out a "welcome back" program in the near future it would seem. A handful of free games is what it seems to consist of and it will be interesting to see what their plans for covering credit monitoring will consist of globally.

Gundo
05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
A Toronto based Law Firm filed a 1 Billion dollar class action suit vs Sony, I figured Id sign up to be in on it. Why not my information was compromised.

http://www.mcst.ca/ClassActions/ClassActionsHome/SonyPSN/

BlackArcher101
05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
It looks like all they want out of the class action suit is credit monitoring for Canadians. You'd get that anyways if they offered it with or without signing the class action.

I still don't see a point in the class action lawsuits.

Diemenz
05-08-2011, 04:53 PM
A Toronto based Law Firm filed a 1 Billion dollar class action suit vs Sony, I figured Id sign up to be in on it. Why not my information was compromised.

http://www.mcst.ca/ClassActions/ClassActionsHome/SonyPSN/

Now you have given your information to sleezy lawyers that have no hope in hell of winning said class action lawsuit. :D

BlackEleven
05-09-2011, 07:47 AM
PSN was originally supposed to be back at the end of last week, but the reactivation has been delayed further.

http://www.i4u.com/46455/playstation-network-reactivation-delayed-rumors-third-hack-proven-true

This is getting pretty ridiculous, Sony.

Dirty Mr. Clean
05-09-2011, 09:59 AM
http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/05/sony-says-playstation-network-will-be-fully-operational-by-may-31st/

Back up by May 31.

Joborule
05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Holy crap Sony. If it takes six weeks to restore the service that's unreal.

secol
05-09-2011, 12:24 PM
that's the fully operational date though....i think they said they were going to bring some services up first and do things in steps?

Diemenz
05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
They did mention that stamp however they said it was not ready when they tested over the weekend and this is todays update.

Long story short is we might be surprised before the 31st but dont have high hopes.

BlackArcher101
05-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Meh. I waited for GT5, I can wait for PSN.

corporatejay
05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
It looks like all they want out of the class action suit is credit monitoring for Canadians. You'd get that anyways if they offered it with or without signing the class action.

I still don't see a point in the class action lawsuits.

Lawyers fees.

LIP MAN
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Sorry, what's all this law business? I couldn't hear anything I was playing the Gears of War 3 beta online. :)

Russic
05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't know what everybody is freaking out about. PSN seems to be working just fine.

Link (http://bit.ly/gyMx8B)

jschick88
05-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Sony has sent word that a new, mandatory PlayStation 3 firmware update (version 3.61) is now live. It is strongly recommended (by us, too!) that you change your password once prompted following the download and installation of the firmware.

According to Sony's Eric Lempel, the update is meant to prepare for the re-activation of PSN. This does not mean that PSN is fully operational -- not yet.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/14/ps3-firmware-3-61-goes-live-change-your-password-now/

jschick88
05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Sony said it would begin a phased restoration of its PlayStation Network on Sunday on a country by country basis.

The company said in a news release it expects the restoration to be complete by May 31.

The PlayStation Network, which enables PlayStation games console owners to download games and pit their skills against rivals, has been offline since April 19, after Sony discovered hackers had breached security and accessed personal details on 77 million accounts.

The company said phased restoration of Sony Online Entertainment PC-based online games service would also begin on Sunday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/14/us-sony-idUSTRE74C70420110514

Kipper is King
05-14-2011, 09:31 PM
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/ps3-system-software-update/

Sounds like we may be playing online again pretty soon! fingers crossed!

secol
05-14-2011, 09:56 PM
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/play-on-%E2%80%93-psn-restoration-begins-now/

BlackArcher101
05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Awesome. Updated the PS3 and now the wait.

jschick88
05-14-2011, 10:17 PM
I wonder when Canada will be up. Looks like they are on phase 3 of restoration. Southeast just got activated.

Mccree
05-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Firmware all updated. Now the wait but at least we can see the light at then end of the tunnel.

Diemenz
05-15-2011, 01:47 AM
it went up about 20 minutes ago

Hanni
05-16-2011, 05:22 PM
http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20110516-6456b.png

rubecube
05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Pretty weak game selection being offered as compensation.

BlackArcher101
05-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Totally. LA Noire would have been nice.

Diverce
05-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Pretty weak game selection being offered as compensation.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But where do you find out what games are being offered as compensation?

Human Torch
05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But where do you find out what games are being offered as compensation?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/16/details-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-customer-appreciation-program-in-north-america/

All PlayStation Network customers can select two PS3 games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.

Dead Nation
inFAMOUS
LittleBigPlanet
Super Stardust HD
Wipeout HD + Fury

For PSP owners, you will be eligible to download two PSP games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
ModNation Racers
Pursuit Force
Killzone Liberation

A selection of “On Us” rental movie titles will be available to PlayStation Network customers over one weekend, where Video Service is available. Those titles will be announced soon.

30 days free PlayStation Plus membership for non PlayStation Plus subscribers.
Existing PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive an additional 60 days of free subscription.

Existing Music Unlimited Premium Trial subscription members will receive an additional 30 days of free premium subscription.
Additional 30 days + time lost for existing members of Music Unlimited Premium/Basic subscription free of charge for existing Premium/Basic members.

To welcome users Home, PlayStation Home will be offering 100 free virtual items. Additional free content will be released soon, including the next addition to the Home Mansion personal space, and Ooblag’s Alien Casino, an exclusive game.

Get infamous if you haven't played it yet. Sequel comes out soon and it looks great.

Mccree
05-16-2011, 09:03 PM
If I have both a ps3 and a psp do I get 4 games? If so that is a prettyngood deal. Either way I am happy with the free games.

Yeah_Baby
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Stupid question of the day. I assume I'd you'd just download these games.?

Mazrim
05-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah they are downloadable.

Super Stardust HD is great and Wipeout HD is pretty much the coolest racing game out there.

Lego Man
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
This is awesome! Two free games - and all I had to do was go outside and enjoy the good weather? Pretty good deal, it's not like we pay for online?

VERY NICE! (Borat voice)

:oVo:

(when will the PSN Store be up and running?)

Yeah_Baby
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah they are downloadable.

Super Stardust HD is great and Wipeout HD is pretty much the coolest racing game out there.

Are they sending me a bigger HDD too?

Kipper is King
05-17-2011, 09:07 AM
I am getting infamous, but i cannot decide between wipeout and lbp. suggestions?

Mazrim
05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I am getting infamous, but i cannot decide between wipeout and lbp. suggestions?
Do you like cutesy games and games with lots of customization? Get LBP. Do you like racing games and flashy, fast paced games? Get Wipeout.

Russic
05-17-2011, 09:46 AM

LBP is like a really artsy, smart old school mario game with fantastic co-op. It's one of my favorite games of all time. If you like platforming I recommend it highly.

If you haven't played infamous and enjoy the 3rd person action genre (Uncharted, Batman) then you need to get on that game right away. It's very well done and the way the game manages your powers is wonderful.

Both games are among my top 5 this generation. I'm cool with this compensation (I'm going for Dead Nation and Wipeout as I own the others).

LockedOut
05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Kind of a small selection if you already own a few of those games. Also are they still offering a month free of PSN Plus still?

Mazrim
05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
LBP is like a really artsy, smart old school mario game with fantastic co-op. It's one of my favorite games of all time. If you like platforming I recommend it highly.
Interesting way to look at it. I never enjoyed the controls in LBP as they felt very loose and I never felt like I had solid control like you'd have in a Mario or Mega Man game. It just felt like a game you play with friends and try out neat custom levels. That was just me though.

kdogg
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Dead Nation any good?

DownhillGoat
05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Sweet. Infamous and Wipeout for me. Couldn't stand LPB.

blankall
05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
People are complaining? Those are some pretty good games IMO. I played through InFamous but traded it in while it still had value. Definitely going to download that one again. That game kicked ass.

Probably go Wipeout as well.

Human Torch
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
People are complaining? Those are some pretty good games IMO.

Yup, they are...that's why I own them all already. Damn it. At least I'll get 100 virtual items for playstation home though!

TopChed
05-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Dead Nation any good?

Haven't played it myself, but just from checking out the IGN review, I don't think I'll like it more than the others.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136265p1.html

Looks similar to the old Grand Theft Auto games, which were fun for a bit but grew old quickly imo.

I think I'm leaning towards Infamous and LBP.

llama64
05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I was just looking at my electronics... apparently 2/3 of them are Sony. I'm actually embarrassed by that now - when it comes time to replace them, Sony will be on the no fly list. The level of incompetence and outright arrogance that corporation has shown to it's users just astonishes me.

Course... that won't stop me from taking free stuff. Probably gonna grab LBP and Wipeout. They will be games #2 and #3 for my PS3 (after over a year of owning it). Game #1 was the God of War pack (technically PS2 games ;) )

Esoteric
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Eh, I own a fair amount of Sony products and would probably replace them should the time come. If Sony still is putting out quality TVs and audio products, I'm not going to say no if they're at a good price.

llama64
05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Eh, I own a fair amount of Sony products and would probably replace them should the time come. If Sony still is putting out quality TVs and audio products, I'm not going to say no if they're at a good price.

That's what my response was to the whole DRM/rootkit issue with Sony music CD's a few years back. This PSN debacle finally tilted it for me though - it's not like I"m losing out on technology if I don't buy Sony.

And I'm certainly not missing out gaming wise.

Prototype
05-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Has anyone been able to get into the store, or where ever these are going to be available to download them?

flamesfan6
05-19-2011, 08:52 AM
no one can because psn is down again haha

FanIn80
05-19-2011, 09:35 AM
They shut it down again because of yet another security hole. This time there was a problem with the Password Reset page they were directing everyone to. Apparently, if someone had your email address and birthday, they could have reset your account password on your behalf. Considering the hakers from last month have everybody's email addresses and birthdays...

Sony Corp has shut down a website set up to help millions of users affected by April's massive data breach after finding a "security hole".

The site had been designed to help 77 million users of its PlayStation Network reset their passwords after finding the security weakness.

The issue, which Sony alerted customers to on its PlayStation website, marks yet another setback for the company, which has been under fire since hackers broke into its systems about a month ago.

Sony spokesman Dan Race said the company found the security hole on a webpage that could potentially allow the hackers who had breached personal data from users in April to access their accounts using the data they had stolen.

"If I had your email and your birth date I could have potentially got access to your account," Race said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/18/us-sony-idUSTRE74C70420110518

Edit: Didn't anyone ever tell Sony not to go full ######?

psicodude
05-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Has anyone been able to get into the store, or where ever these are going to be available to download them?

The store says it "undergoing maintenance" for me, and has been since PSN has been up.

Human Torch
05-19-2011, 11:49 AM

The store wasn't put up yet only online gaming. I think the target date for the store is sometime next week.

And I'm certainly not missing out gaming wise.

When your only game is god of war collection then yeah, you kinda are.

BlackArcher101
05-19-2011, 01:16 PM
no one can because psn is down again haha

No, I don't think it is. I was on it this morning. I believe it's only the password reset feature that's been disabled.
Are you guys who are saying it's down actually trying?

Beerfest
05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Its working fine right now.

I didnt get my email from Playstation to reset my password, so I created a new account, but then checked my email today and saw I had gotten one, but when I clicked the link in the email the page was undergoing maintenance.

Mazrim
05-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I never got an email to reset my password, but logging into PSN on the PS3 on Monday forced it on me anyway.

LockedOut
05-19-2011, 07:42 PM
PS Store is expected to be back up on May 24.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6314576/playstation-store-to-return-may-24-report?tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B1

Russic
05-21-2011, 09:57 AM
When your only game is god of war collection then yeah, you kinda are.

My thought exactly. This generation of consoles blows my mind when I think of the quality of games. Owning a ps3 and not actually having a ps3 game is very confusing for me... Unless video games aren't really your thing.

fundmark19
05-24-2011, 08:52 AM
My thought exactly. This generation of consoles blows my mind when I think of the quality of games. Owning a ps3 and not actually having a ps3 game is very confusing for me... Unless video games aren't really your thing.

Geez I have 3 ps3 and I don't remember the last time I actually played a game on one of them

Jimmy Stang
05-24-2011, 08:59 AM
^ I play a few games here and there, but I use it mostly for Netflix, Blu-Rays, and streaming media from my PC. If they'd get a proper web browser, then it really would be a perfect gaming system for non-gaming. ;)

Daradon
05-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Sony is great for gaming, and used to be good for visual stuff (screens etc.) but are getting beaten now. The trinitron screen was the bomb before flats came out. Now LG, Samsung, and all sorts of brands I can't even name off the top of my head kick Sony's ass at picture.

They have never been good for audio.

They're a middle of the road brand with huge market share because of a lot of first mover products. Walkman, Discman, Blu-ray etc.

Plus they made BETAMAX!

Regulator75
05-30-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/05/31/playstation-store-and-psn-back-online-by-end-of-week-new-sony-deadline/

”May 31, 2011 – Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced today that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all PlayStation®Network services in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea by the end of this week.”

likwid888
05-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Just a warning to everyone who uses the same email/password for iTunes as they did for the PSN. My iTunes account was hacked, and I'm positive is has to do with having the same email/password. The person bought a poker app for the iPhone and millions of chips for it. Please take the necessary precautions and change your iTunes credentials.

Wood
05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Just a warning to everyone who uses the same email/password for iTunes as they did for the PSN. My iTunes account was hacked, and I'm positive is has to do with having the same email/password. The person bought a poker app for the iPhone and millions of chips for it. Please take the necessary precautions and change your iTunes credentials.

Yep I had the same password for my email and that was hacked as well

Jimmy Stang
05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
I was lucky as my PS3 password was unique. Had it been one of my few "go to" passwords, I'd be in the same boat.

Regardless, the whole PSN ordeal has got me started on a new password regimen. I'm trying to keep everything unique, which is a pain in the ass, but this has certainly highlighted how an attack on one service can really impact the rest of your online life.

Meelapo
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I was lucky as my PS3 password was unique. Had it been one of my few "go to" passwords, I'd be in the same boat.

Regardless, the whole PSN ordeal has got me started on a new password regimen. I'm trying to keep everything unique, which is a pain in the ass, but this has certainly highlighted how an attack on one service can really impact the rest of your online life.

Remember, Keypass (http://keepass.info/) is your friend.

Jimmy Stang
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Remember, Keypass (http://keepass.info/) is your friend.

Absolutely - without it, password management would be a real pain. Highly recommended.

BlackArcher101
06-02-2011, 12:17 AM
PS Store is back up and running for me.

Sr. Mints
06-02-2011, 12:27 AM
It is so tempting to crawl out of bed and go see if I can connect... so tempting.

Regulator75
06-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Yup, it's up.

Meelapo
06-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Great. This means I can finally redeem my codes for Dragon Age 2, and LA Noire.

Are they offering those free downloads of games yet? I'm definitely getting inFamous but not sure about #2. I guess Wipeout.

Misterpants
06-02-2011, 09:32 AM
It is so tempting to crawl out of bed and go see if I can connect... so tempting.

Oh, to be young again.

Regulator75
06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Are they offering those free downloads of games yet? I'm definitely getting inFamous but not sure about #2. I guess Wipeout.

Not yet.

Russic
06-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Currently downloading the Infamous 2 demo. Install dammit!

likwid888
06-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Currently downloading the Infamous 2 demo. Install dammit!

It took Infamous 2 three times as long to install as it did for the 2.5 gig download.

Byrns
06-02-2011, 09:20 PM
In other news today...
Sony Pictures hacked by Lulz Security, 1,000,000 passwords claimed stolen

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/02/sony-pictures-hacked-by-lulz-security-1-000-000-passwords-claim/#disqus_thread

Jbo
06-03-2011, 08:38 AM
In other news today...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/02/sony-pictures-hacked-by-lulz-security-1-000-000-passwords-claim/#disqus_thread

Some of the comments from that sum up all this hacker stuff for me....

"hacking Sony has become mainstream"

"I am Jack's boredom at hackers"

Russic
06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Interesting thing to note after downloading the infamous 2 demo: no need to manually install! Did this change before the hacker attack or did they fix this during the rebuild? I hated downloading a demo only to have to manaully install it for another 10 minutes.

Sweet ass demo btw.

likwid888
06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Interesting thing to note after downloading the infamous 2 demo: no need to manually install! Did this change before the hacker attack or did they fix this during the rebuild? I hated downloading a demo only to have to manaully install it for another 10 minutes.

Sweet ass demo btw.

Dunno about you, but I had to install and it was a pain in the ass. Took almost 45 minutes.

secol
06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/03/welcome-back/

secol
06-03-2011, 02:26 PM
apparently there are some people who are experiencing issues so i'd suggest waiting until they get it fixed before trying to DL the games

LockedOut
06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Playstation Network is currently undergoing maintenance.

Regulator75
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I managed to grab LBP, Wipeout and a bunch of free stuff off playstation plus.

Oilbert
06-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I picked Infamous (obviously) and LBP, hopefully my wife is interested with LBP.

LockedOut
06-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I managed to grab LBP, Wipeout and a bunch of free stuff off playstation plus.
I think the free stuff off PS Plus expires after the free trial ends unless you renew.

Kswiss
06-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I think the free stuff off PS Plus expires after the free trial ends unless you renew.

You my friend are correct! Regardless, pretty decent selection from Sony...Dont forget about the PSP games...

secol
06-03-2011, 08:14 PM
just play activate the ps plus when you think you'll have a month with a bit more free time than usual and play the free stuff before it expires

Russic
06-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I'll have to check but I heard the games are yours to keep. PSN plus expires, but the free games offer up are not part of psn plus.

Edit: sorry I misread. I thought you guys were talking about the "pick 2 of 5" games. Those ones you keep. The psn plus stuff not so much.

llama64
06-04-2011, 07:34 AM
You know what... I'm now fully giving up on Sony, they were hacked again (sonypictures.com) http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/sony-hacked-yet-again-plaintext-passwords-posted.ars

Customer data, stored in PLAINTEXT on a SQL server and served via a website that doesn't even implement basic security practices.

This isn't a company that deserves anymore of my money at all and certainly NONE of my data.

BlackArcher101
06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
And you can confirm other companies protect their data better?

Street Pharmacist
06-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Maybe it's because I'm naiive, but I just don't care about it that much. Herd mentality perhaps

llama64
06-04-2011, 12:46 PM

I can confirm that only one company that has my data has been hacked. Twice this year. And this second time it was hacked in the most rudimentary and juvenile way possible for an online system. That's an egregious abuse of trust. And on top of that, Sony's response is to buy my loyalty back for about 80$ worth of free crap I don't need.

Why should I bother with Sony again?

HotHotHeat
06-04-2011, 01:01 PM
At least we get some free games.

Lego Man
06-04-2011, 01:20 PM
You know how when you buy PSN games you can make an account on a freind's ps3 and share the game up to 5 times? Are we able to share the two free games 5 times? That way a friend and I could download 2 different free games and then share, totaling 4 free games from the welcome back program. If a third friend is involved than we can grab all 5!

Is this possible?

If so I would need to head down to memory express for a hd upgrade!

Wood
06-04-2011, 10:50 PM
My second choice is between Dead Nation and Super Stardust, what would you guys chose? I've watched reviews for both and can't decide

CMPunk
06-04-2011, 10:56 PM
My second choice is between Dead Nation and Super Stardust, what would you guys chose? I've watched reviews for both and can't decide

I dl'd Dead Nation...tried it...not a fan

FanIn80
06-05-2011, 04:26 AM

What kind of response is that? I like to think that, if I give my personal information (including my credit card) to a company, that they would do whatever they can to keep it safe.

And this time around, it sounds like they didn't even bother to try to keep it safe.

BlackArcher101
06-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I can confirm that only one company that has my data has been hacked. Twice this year. And this second time it was hacked in the most rudimentary and juvenile way possible for an online system. That's an egregious abuse of trust. And on top of that, Sony's response is to buy my loyalty back for about 80$ worth of free crap I don't need.

Why should I bother with Sony again?

What kind of response is that? I like to think that, if I give my personal information (including my credit card) to a company, that they would do whatever they can to keep it safe.

And this time around, it sounds like they didn't even bother to try to keep it safe.

And you guys are sure that with this latest hack, that it was your data that was lost again?

I'm trying to get you to think that possibly, just possibly... that perhaps Sony isn't the only one with these problems. The only reason it's being brought to light is the focus of the attacks on them. If you think Sony is the only one not protecting some data incorrectly then you are naive.

Go ahead and don't bother with Sony again. I don't see your ad on the buy/sell forum yet for the PS3 though. I think it's hilarious to give up on them, go to another company (who's security hasn't been the focus of a large arranged hack yet) and risk it all again. I have the belief that unless you are a bank, your system is most likely not hack proof. Other companies will have the same problems if the focus is directed on them.

And btw... it was never confirmed if your credit card was stolen... only that they put actions in place in case it was.

Raekwon
06-05-2011, 12:04 PM
And this years winner of the "just doesnt get it" award goes to . . . . .

And you guys are sure that with this latest hack, that it was your data that was lost again?

I'm trying to get you to think that possibly, just possibly... that perhaps Sony isn't the only one with these problems. The only reason it's being brought to light is the focus of the attacks on them. If you think Sony is the only one not protecting some data incorrectly then you are naive.

Go ahead and don't bother with Sony again. I don't see your ad on the buy/sell forum yet for the PS3 though. I think it's hilarious to give up on them, go to another company (who's security hasn't been the focus of a large arranged hack yet) and risk it all again. I have the belief that unless you are a bank, your system is most likely not hack proof. Other companies will have the same problems if the focus is directed on them.

And btw... it was never confirmed if your credit card was stolen... only that they put actions in place in case it was.

BlackArcher101
06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
And this years winner of the "just doesnt get it" award goes to . . . . .

Then reply with a proper response to make me "get it". Are you saying that I think they didn't mess up?

Raekwon
06-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Then reply with a proper response to make me "get it". Are you saying that I think they didn't mess up?

No company is hackproof the difference is that a company as big as Sony or any company really should be storing personal information such as credit cards, account info, etc encrypted and not in plain text as Sony did twice so if by chance you do get hacked you get nothing from it.

Its fair for someone to not trust Sony with their personal information anymore as they betrayed the customers trust not once but twice and did nothing after the first time to prevent the second from happening.

Sony is big business not some mom & pop store storing customer information on the home PC, there is no excuse for it.

Russic
06-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Should be interesting to see how Sony handles this in tonight's E3 presentation.

I have to think there's no way credit card data was compromised otherwise we'd see tons of fraud claims.

Deuce Bigalow
06-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Wow, a new hack? Sony Computer Entertainment Developer Network source code https://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec/status/77736347154128897

Russic
06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Remind me not to piss off hackers. Jesus. This is beginning to get uncomfortable to watch. It's the same feeling I get when I watch Joe Pesci beat up on somebody in a gangster movie. It's over, just let them bleed!

FanIn80
06-09-2011, 06:33 PM
http://attrition.org/security/rants/sony_aka_sownage.html

Lego Man
06-09-2011, 11:18 PM
http://attrition.org/security/rants/sony_aka_sownage.html

That is just brutal to look at. With online payments becoming the norm, simply teaching someone how to avoid being victims of online fraud is a full time job. Hmmm... I could make a fortune teaching those courses.

kdogg
09-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Did anyone else get that email from Sony offering free identity theft protection for a year?

I have tried to sign up, but didn't get any sort of code to redeem. Anyone else having problems?

LockedOut
09-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Kind of related.

Sony PS3 Update Tries to Force Customers to Sign Away Their Rights (http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+PS3+Update+Tries+to+Force+Customers+to+Sign+A way+Their+Rights+/article22765.htm)