PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Final Cut Pro X

La Flames Fan
04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Coming in June as a part of Final Cut Studio X (I assume).

http://www.macworld.com/article/159202/2011/04/final_cut_pro_x_blog.html

-77beFICSlI

gAXL7L9fToQ

Everyone was worried the new update would go the iMovie route, a dumbed down version of the previous Final Cut.

It looks like it's stayed pro with some great features. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Russic
04-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm excited to app store this. Having Final Cut at work and at home without having to buy a second license is going to make things much better.

La Flames Fan
04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm excited to app store this. Having Final Cut at work and at home without having to buy a second license is going to make things much better.

No way, you can have the program on multiple macs? I didn't see that...how do you do that??

Russic
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
No way, you can have the program on multiple macs? I didn't see that...how do you do that??

That's the prime benefit of the Mac app store. It's just like the mobile version where the purchases are linked to your apple ID. If I buy an app from it at home, when I get to work the next morning and visit the store there's a list of installed apps with the one I bought the night before at the top with a big "install" button next to it. That's it. No screwing around with install keys or anything, it just starts going. That's why Aperture at $80 is such a great deal in my eyes.

Sadly, it's also why many developers steer clear of the store. For many having a multi-user package is a big money maker for them.

Sr. Mints
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe they slashed the price that much!

I guess I'll finally be graduating to the Pro version in June.

La Flames Fan
04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
That's the prime benefit of the Mac app store. It's just like the mobile version where the purchases are linked to your apple ID. If I buy an app from it at home, when I get to work the next morning and visit the store there's a list of installed apps with the one I bought the night before at the top with a big "install" button next to it. That's it. No screwing around with install keys or anything, it just starts going. That's why Aperture at $80 is such a great deal in my eyes.

Sadly, it's also why many developers steer clear of the store. For many having a multi-user package is a big money maker for them.

That is fantastic news...love, love, love that.

La Flames Fan
04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Wow, I can't believe they slashed the price that much!

I guess I'll finally be graduating to the Pro version in June.

The price slash is amazing. I wonder if they'll have an upgrade price on the whole suite? We have Final Cut Studio, so if they're updated all the apps and for an upgrade price, that would simply astounding.

Galakanokis
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
The price slash is amazing. I wonder if they'll have an upgrade price on the whole suite? We have Final Cut Studio, so if they're updated all the apps and for an upgrade price, that would simply astounding.

Final Cut X got slagged pretty hard at NAB this year. Apparently it is a pretty big step back and is more imovie than pro. We were pretty excited about it but after coming back from the show we were terribly disappointed.

I am sure it is still great for the lower end more independent guys but i don't think it will find its way into post or on-line editing.

FanIn80
04-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Final Cut X got slagged pretty hard at NAB this year. Apparently it is a pretty big step back and is more imovie than pro. We were pretty excited about it but after coming back from the show we were terribly disappointed.

I am sure it is still great for the lower end more independent guys but i don't think it will find its way into post or on-line editing.

Everything I've read has said just the opposite. People expected it to be more iMovie, but then found out it's still very much a pro app.

La Flames Fan
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Everything I've read has said just the opposite. People expected it to be more iMovie, but then found out it's still very much a pro app.

See that's what I've read too. Nothing but good things.

The only negative one I've come across is this on Gizmodo...http://gizmodo.com/#!5793175/why-final-cut-pro-x-is-sending-me-back-to-avid but I gotta tell ya, I agree with most of the commenters on that story.

What specifically did you not like about it Galakanokis?

Galakanokis
04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
See that's what I've read too. Nothing but good things.

The only negative one I've come across is this on Gizmodo...http://gizmodo.com/#!5793175/why-final-cut-pro-x-is-sending-me-back-to-avid (http://gizmodo.com/#%215793175/why-final-cut-pro-x-is-sending-me-back-to-avid) but I gotta tell ya, I agree with most of the commenters on that story.

What specifically did you not like about it Galakanokis?

Everything I read up until NAB was very positive as well. I was hoping they would fix some of their issues with time lines, importing EDL's and ALE's. It was/is hard to incorporate FCP into other systems. They can have issues with metadata as well. None of these were dealt with.

Not a big fan of the interface, went to far to the commercial side of things. It just doesn't feel robust enough.

Apple's push is away from the professional market and this just feels that way. Still a very good product just don't see it advancing in post or on-line like it had a chance to.

I should add that a lot of this was general buzz around the floor at NAB. A lot people were less then impressed...

FanIn80
06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Officially released today. $299 in the Mac App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-cut-pro/id424389933?mt=12

La Flames Fan
06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Officially released today. $299 in the Mac App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-cut-pro/id424389933?mt=12

Pretty stoked, getting it later. Motion 5 and Compressor 5 are each $49.99 in the App Store too.

Color has been integrated into Final Cut Pro X, as has Soundtrack Pro it looks like.

FanIn80
06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
s8C8IwEc6zk

Russic
06-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Check out the overview video on the apple page. Looks pretty awesome. http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/

La Flames Fan
06-24-2011, 10:08 AM
It's been really entertaining watching everyone freak out over the release. Yes there are some defeciencies like multicam support, XML, unable to open FC7 files...but no doubt Apple will fix these.

To be honest, I've heard very little solid reasoning beyond the OMG!@111!! IT LOOKS LIEK IMOVIEEE!!11!

Almost everything is there, it's just in a new menu or a different click away. Initially I though...UH OH, but once I started futzing around with it, I like it's processor support, speed and integrations.

While I think it's not 100%, it definitely has potential and that's good considering it's essentially a brand new app.

La Flames Fan
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
BUMP.

New update today to FCPX - 10.0.3, adds 64 improvements/features.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/31/apple-updates-final-cut-pro-x-with-multicam-support-advanced-chroma-keying-and-xml-support/

Highlights:
Adds Multicam support (and probably does it better why did I just buy pluraleyes?)
Better/Advanced Chroma Keying
Media Relink (Thank god...I was pulling my hair out)
Better XML
Etc...

I imagine most will say "too little, too late", but this is at least an attempt to show Apple does care about the Pro folks.

Russic
01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
This was a case of Apple having to take 5 steps back for a time to keep moving forward later. This app was crippled in comparison, but it will slowly catch up to where it was and beyond imo. Good to see it moving ahead.

La Flames Fan
02-01-2012, 11:27 AM
This was a case of Apple having to take 5 steps back for a time to keep moving forward later. This app was crippled in comparison, but it will slowly catch up to where it was and beyond imo. Good to see it moving ahead.

Yeah, I read an interesting article about the change Apple is making with some software. Instead of releasing new versions every 18 months, they're pushing out more updates more frequently.

I'm not sure if it's the right way to go, but you're right it's moving ahead.