PDA

View Full Version : Need new laptop. Internet, Excel, Word ...

Flames89
04-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Hey, need your advice. (Yes, I did a quick search)

I need a new laptop for home. My main uses/requirements/wants are:

- I needs to be great at running excel models and word docs from work. If I were to go Apple, can I take a usb key from work PC, loaded with excel and word files, and just plug-n-play to a home macbook?

- Speed, power, and performance are important. But just to be running several applications and excel models, etc. Don't need a gaming system.

- Would maaaybe want to consider ability to plug in a monitor into it, so I can have two screens when I feel like it.

- Otherwise it will be used for the internet, and maybe some streaming of movies to my TV/xbox (if I can figure that out).

- Finally, looks and sexiness matters.

Suggestions? I am tempted towards a Macbook, as I like their products (and admit they are technically inferior). I have an iphone and may get an ipad some day. However, it may make sense to stick with a computer that I know, and has a mouse with 2 buttons ... perhaps the "fancy home computer" can wait.

I live near the independant computer store/tech area (which also has an apple store). Ideally, would want to just walk into a place on the way home and haggle out a laptop with software package (or in Apple's case, fist-bump the checkout person and talk about how rad we are and how whales are cool)

MickMcGeough
04-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Budget is important to recommend anything.

MickMcGeough
04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
As long as you don't completely cheap out, it'll be hard to find a laptop that won't be very good at what you're asking of it, because you're not asking too much. Since you're considering MacBooks, I'm assuming you have a budget of at least $1000.

I really love my MacBook but unless you're really leveraging Apple-only software, it's hard to justify the cost. That said, the new generation are very powerful machines, I just think anything more than a 13" would be overkill for you. You don't need a quad core.

My one universal piece of advice is to get a machine with Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset. All manufacturers are just coming out with them now so there won't be a lot in retail stores but there will be much more in the next month or so. Sandy Bridge machines, in general, have a significant jump in performance from the previous-gen machines.

IMO the sexiest laptop available today is the Samsung 9 series:
http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/inspect-a-gadget/2011/01/06/samsung-9-series-laptop.jpg

There are a lot of Acer haters on here, and for good reason, but the new Timeline series are very nice looking machines too. I've got a 2010 Timeline and I've had no issues with it whatsoever. Super light, 8+ hrs battery, iX CPU. More than enough for your needs. They're just about to release their Sandy Bridge Timelines.
http://www.justop.com/catalog/images/detailed/1/acer-timeline.jpg

Flames89
04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks Mick. Very interesting. Sure, expect to pay more than $1000.
Some other thoughts:

- I definitely need a large screen for excel.
- Can someone take a USB from a windows machine. Loaded with excel/word docs. Open them on Apple?
- Acers are just wayyy to scary.

MickMcGeough
04-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks Mick. Very interesting. Sure, expect to pay more than $1000.
Some other thoughts:

- I definitely need a large screen for excel.
- Can someone take a USB from a windows machine. Loaded with excel/word docs. Open them on Apple?
- Acers are just wayyy to scary.
Mac OSX & Windows 7 can share FAT32 or better yet, ExFAT formatted USB drives without any problems. They normally come formatted in FAT32 but I recommend reformatting (in Windows) as ExFAT so you don't have the file size limitations of FAT32.

If you need a 15" monitor or better you're looking at $2000+ from Apple, but you probably know that.

I don't personally like it, but many swear the Asus NX90 is the sexiest laptop ever built:
http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Asus-NX90Jq.jpg
http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Asus-NX90Jq-Folded.jpg

Others love the Dell Adamo but I think it only comes in 13"
http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/adamo/adamo-highlights/adamo-onyx.jpg

Winsor_Pilates
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
- I needs to be great at running excel models and word docs from work. If I were to go Apple, can I take a usb key from work PC, loaded with excel and word files, and just plug-n-play to a home macbook?

If you get a Mac, get Microsoft Office for Mac.
The apple programs that will open your excel and word docs by default, aren't nearly as good and going back and forth between them is a pain.

If you're using Vista at work and your files keep getting saved as docx and xlsx, office for mac will have issues opening them as it doesn't recognize the extra x.
Easily fixed by downloading an application called Open XML Converter that will automatically make the appropriate changes so Office for Mac opens the files.

Edit: Also, USB's are the same, not issues there. If the double click mouse is a must, you can set that up on a mac now too.

sclitheroe
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
If you're using Vista at work and your files keep getting saved as docx and xlsx, office for mac will have issues opening them as it doesn't recognize the extra x.

This is incorrect. .???X style Office documents have been fully supported in MS Office for Mac since version 2008.

MickMcGeough
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I've got no such issues with Office 2011.

2008 had loads of problems even if it could read .docx, .xlsx, etc. Definitely get 2011.

MoneyGuy
04-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I hope Flames89 doesn't mind me chiming into his thread. I also need a new laptop. Budget isn't really that important. It's for my office and while I know I can get a good machine for a few hundred dollars I'm okay with spending much more for the features I need. It's my main computer as I don't use a desktop anymore.

I use the computer for accessing business websites, to house software for managing client portfolios and doing financial plans, email, writing Word docs, Skyping and such. The usual office stuff, but no Excel. I don't need a tonne of hard-drive space (mostly to house my programs, but I don't save a tonne of stuff - just emails, Word docs, etc.). I would like lots of RAM. I want things to happen quickly.

I won't be playing games or doing anything elaborate. I don't want a Mac as I'm familiar with PCs. I have an iPad2 and that may the machine I take on the road so this laptop may never leave the office, but I may take it out for client visits if the iPad can't do it all.

I'm thinking of maybe a screen of 15-16 inches. All my computers in the last several years have been Dell. I'm happy with Dells as I've never had any significant issues or need for repairs. I tend to keep my computers for a long time (several years). I'm vwery willing to consider options to Dell if I can pick something up at a nearby store and not have to wait for Dell to deliver. Are Toshibas worth the extra money? I've seen some of those on sale at Staples.

I don't care about cool or sexy (colours, etc.) as I have inner cool and my wife thinks I'm sexy. :D

Advice appreciated, including what programs to preload.

Winsor_Pilates
04-08-2011, 03:29 PM
This is incorrect. .???X style Office documents have been fully supported in MS Office for Mac since version 2008.
Good to know, I guess my version is just very outdated. Time to upgrade.

llama64
04-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Just popping in to mention that I consider the trackpad on the Macbook to be the best in existence. I have yet to encounter a better built trackpad. It makes up for a lot of the eccentricities inherent to the Mac (like the wrist numbing mouse acceleration curve). And it's the trackpad that I make the most use out of. A good trackpad makes a mouse irrelevant except when plugged into a larger monitor.

It can be set to function exactly like a PC, and if you plug in any USB mouse into it, the right click with work exactly as you expect. Keyboard shortcuts require very little re-training (swap control with command).

Not sure I get the "technically inferior" comment though. Inferior to what?

Don't let the fear of something new prevent you from at least trying out OS X. The real reason not to consider switching platforms is if you already have a recent version of something like Office and don't want to buy it again.