PDA

View Full Version : Indian Premier League (IPL) Thread - (or general cricket thread)

Pages : [1] 2

GirlySports
04-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Since Sportsnet ONE has picked up 34 of the 72 IPL matches this season, this is a thread to discuss the tournament which starts on April 8 and for those who have never seen cricket to ask any questions in case you happen to channel surf by it and have no clue what's going on. Matches will either be played at 4:30AM MT or 8:30AM MT plus probably some tape delayed replays.

This is a very fast-paced game that I believe is tailor-made for the 21st century with the very best players in the world. Matches take less than 3 hours and involve hitting the ball as far as possible.

Here is informations for 2011 IPL Season

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/current/series/466304.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Premier_League#Fourth_season

There are 10 teams in the league. Listed here with captain

Mumbai Indians - Sachin Tendulkar
Royal Challengers Bangalore - Daniel Vetorri
Deccan Chargers - Kumar Sangakkara
Chennai Super Kings - MS Dhoni
Kolkata Knight Riders - Gautam Gambhir
Kings XI Punjab - Adam Gilchrist
Rajasthan Royals - Shane Warne
Dehli Daredevils - Virender Sehwag
Pune Warriors - Yuvraj Singh
Kochi Tuskers Kerala - Mahela Jayawardene

Pune and Kochi are expansion teams.

The ten teams are divided into two groups of five. In the group stage, each team plays 14 games: facing the other four teams in their group two times each (one home and one away game), four teams in the other group once, and the remaining team two times.

Four games will be played in the playoffs (curling page system!)

Game A, between the teams ranked first and second in the group stage.
Game B, between the teams ranked third and fourth in the group stage.
Game C, between the loser of Game A and winner of Game B.
Final, between the winners of Games A and C.

Da_Chief
04-04-2011, 10:56 PM
This is a very fast-paced game that I believe is tailor-made for the 21st century with the very best players in the world. Matches take less than 3 hours and involve hitting the ball as far as possible.

I'll have to disagree with that. With few English players missing and no Pakistanis involved, the tournament has some high profile players but all teams have few Indians that probably couldn't crack Canadian world cup team.

Overall it'll be interesting for people who think cricket is only a 5 day game. Try t20, you'll come back for more.

You Need a Thneed
04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm looking forward to watching a couple matches.

GilmourforLeeman
04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
I must admit, in order to enjoy Test Cricket and 50 Overs (somewhat), you truly have to be a fan of cricket.
But with T20, even if you watch it rarely, it's still exciting to watch.
Can't wait till the games start especially with the buzz after the India world cup win.

Nuje
04-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Cool that it's on, I'll try to tune in. Downloaded a cricket demo for Xbox a while back mainly for hilarity reasons, but I got to sort of slightly understand it. See how I do with just watching a game.

GirlySports
04-05-2011, 02:28 AM
2010 Final Highlights

Chennai vs.Mumbai

e4AlO9dTieU

Oliwa
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Go dehli daredevils!

4X4
04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I've decided to start following Indian Cricket. My team will be the Pune Warriors. I hope that's a deliberately clever name, but they'll be my team regardless.

GirlySports
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
starts tomorrow!

Here are some goofy commercials.

eIy7e_qpJM8

NWvMd-jwggo

nVYZLMgkOtk

KxjzT3dQi44

kcOb5wLT15U

You Need a Thneed
04-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I need to pick a team to cheer for as well. Hmmmmm...

Go...

Royal Challengers Bangalore!

(Had to pick a team with red jerseys)

GirlySports
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I'll take Kings XI Punjab... I like the name :)

and they sort of wear red too.

fundmark19
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm in I am taking Chennai Super Kings because only thing higher then a king would obviously be a super king!

***Oh snap just clicked wiki links and we are the defending champions. You guys are all screwed!****

You Need a Thneed
04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Hmmmmm, Jerseys for about 33 bucks. Wonder what the shipping cost would be?

LOL.

fundmark19
04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I need help! My team is playing right now and the score board is really confusing! How do I know if I am dominating? and how many end of overs? are there

You Need a Thneed
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
You can watch games live on sportsnet.ca Chennai vs Kolkuta on right now.

fundmark19
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
seeek best morning at work ever

my cheerleaders and fans are stoked am I winning?

just learnt how it kind of is scored this game is going to come down to the wire!

Joborule
04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
It's like you guys are participating in a fantasy sport/simulation game or something.

fundmark19
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
New sports are fun jump in and choose a team before they are all gone!

fundmark19
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
what an ending chennai won by 2 runs!

You Need a Thneed
04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
A party at the Fundmark house tonight!

Da_Chief
04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
This chick (Preity Zinta) owns a part of Kings XI Punjab team.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j16WJGJf1aw/TJNnXR7lztI/AAAAAAAAAVk/GzniFoGtt7c/s1600/preity+zinta+Desi+Pic+(2).jpg

This chick (Shilpa Shetty) owns part of Rajasthan Royals.
http://bollywood.celebden.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/shilpa-shetty12.jpg

Just in case anyone needs a reason.

fundmark19
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Yup definitly liking this league! go super kings!

Joborule
04-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I have two new teams to follow if I'm ever going to pay attention to this.

shermanator
04-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I am reading all of fundmark's posts in an Indian accent. It's rather comical...

GirlySports
04-08-2011, 05:36 PM
I need help! My team is playing right now and the score board is really confusing! How do I know if I am dominating? and how many end of overs? are there

Sorry I'm late to the party...did you figure it out?
The scoreboard has two numbers..the number of runs and the number of wickets(outs).Chennai were 153-4.

It's a 20 over game, each over is 6 balls(pitches).
So simply put, you have a team of 11 players who bat in pairs, when a batter gets out he's gone and replaced by a another one. One team bats first,makes as many runs as possible off 120 pitches or 10 outs whichever happens first. Then the other team chases the total down. Hard to tell who is dominating. A wicket can change everything.

GirlySports
04-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Kings XI Punjab are getting destroyed by Pune... PUNE!!!!

Resolute 14
04-10-2011, 10:07 AM
The statistics would be easier to follow if they showed the scoreboards more than 2 seconds at a time.

I'm guessing 112 is a pretty low score, however.

Da_Chief
04-10-2011, 10:13 AM
The statistics would be easier to follow if they showed the scoreboards more than 2 seconds at a time.

I'm guessing 112 is a pretty low score, however.

Scoreboard is always at the bottom.

Eg. 96-3 11.3 overs
Means 96 runs have been scored in 11.3 over at a loss of 3 wickets. You don't need the whole scorecard, which shows you what batsmen scored what.

112 is ver low for T20.

Resolute 14
04-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I get the main scoreboard. Its the supplemental stats, which I love (thanks, Baseball) that go too fast, lol.

And nice first ball for Pune. /facepalm

Da_Chief
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
if you want tons of stats. visit cricinfo.com there is tons of stats, commentary, graphs, partnership stats etc. Just click on a match on the side and you'll have bunch of tabs at the top.

Resolute 14
04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Punjab needs to start getting batters out, or they are in big trouble, I think.

nik-
04-10-2011, 03:35 PM
This is actually kinda cool.

GirlySports
04-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Punjab needs to start getting batters out, or they are in big trouble, I think.

Yup Pune won easily.

It's all about pacing. There are 20 overs, how do you want to play them?
Do you want to go fast at the start, hit 4s and 6s but risk losing wickets? Or go slow, keep the number of wickets low so that in the last 5-7 you can go for broke because you've got "wickets in hand".

Teams have to be very careful, when a wicket falls, a batter comes in cold off the bench and is vulnerable. It's not uncommon to see consecutive wickets fall and turn the match around.

GirlySports
04-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Full match highlights and interviews can be found here

http://www.youtube.com/user/indiatimes

HamptonIce
04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I have two new teams to follow if I'm ever going to pay attention to this.

Word

HamptonIce
04-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Cricket in HD is just awesome!!! Watching the performance Mumbai, I think they could be the favs for IPL champs. Malinga at 5-13 is scary, and bhaji's spin and sachin's mind and talent....Mumbai is the class...it is and EARLY take, but go Indians!!!

fundmark19
04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I just need to figure out the scoring now. When the ball is hit over the large fence it is 6 right? And if it rolls out over the small fence it is 4? Then if they hit any where else it all depends how fast they run between the wickets. Each time they run to the other wicket is 1 right? And does it only count if both batters make it or is it only the guy who is hitting

Da_Chief
04-11-2011, 08:49 AM
I just need to figure out the scoring now. When the ball is hit over the large fence it is 6 right? And if it rolls out over the small fence it is 4? Then if they hit any where else it all depends how fast they run between the wickets. Each time they run to the other wicket is 1 right? And does it only count if both batters make it or is it only the guy who is hitting

Right on 6s, 4s, 1s.

Both guys need to make it to the opposite end for the runs to count (if one doesn't its a runout and no runs are given). Make sense?

GirlySports
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
10 ways to get out in cricket (http://www.ehow.com/list_6706237_10-ways-out-cricket.html)

fundmark19
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Right on 6s, 4s, 1s.

Both guys need to make it to the opposite end for the runs to count (if one doesn't its a runout and no runs are given). Make sense?

Yes thanks. So there is an ump at both wickets and when the keeper or who ever is the relay to the wickets knocks them down the umps at both end determine if the batsman is back in the box in time

Da_Chief
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes thanks. So there is an ump at both wickets and when the keeper or who ever is the relay to the wickets knocks them down the umps at both end determine if the batsman is back in the box in time

There's an ump at the end where the bowler is bowling from.

There's another ump by the batter wickets but he is standing around the batters end wherever he feels he has the best view from. Which is usually ~ parallel to the betters wicket about 20 ft away.

Theres the third umpire who can be referred to by the two field umpires if they need assistance.

Now days cricket has brought in reviews, so players can question the decision and it'll go third umpire and he'll decide if there is enough evidence to overturn the original on field decision.

Also cricket has been called the gentlemen's game, so if you know you've nicked the bat and the umpire doesn't raise his finger you should walk off but it doesn't happen much anymore. Kudos to Tendulkar in the world cup who did so but Ponting against Pakistan refused it and after the match said "he never walks". Walking in basically admitting your out. It also happens on catches, the catcher will usually let the umpire or batter know if it was a clean catch or not. But thats going out the window and thus players stay ont he pitch until they're given out by the umpire.

Mccree
04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
10 ways to get out in cricket (http://www.ehow.com/list_6706237_10-ways-out-cricket.html)

What a fascinating game. Just so I am clear, any "out" is a wicket? and each "over" is 5 balls?

You Need a Thneed
04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
What a fascinating game. Just so I am clear, any "out" is a wicket? and each "over" is 5 balls?

Any out is a wicket. Each over is 6 balls.

The IPL plays a match of 20 overs for each side, i.e. 120 balls bowled to each team.

GirlySports
04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
not including the 120 balls, the bowling team can also be penalized extra deliveries.

WIDE - the ump deems the 'pitch' too wide and unhittable. The ball has to be rebowled and the batting team is given 1 run,

NO BALL - the bowler oversteps the line. the ball has to be rebowled, the batting team is given a run AND the following delivery is a free hit, meaning the batter can't get out unless he is stumped or runout.

Da_Chief
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Add to your no ball explanation. Free hits are only in t20 and one day matches not in test (in case anyone is watching test and wondering why no free hit).

Also if on the no ball the batters take a run then the fielding side is allowed to change the fielder placements. If no run was taken on the no ball then the fielding side cannot move the fielders, they have to stay where they were for the no ball delivery.

HamptonIce
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
What a knock by rayudu...and of course sachin

You Need a Thneed
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Royal Challengers Bangalore is now 1-2 :(

GirlySports
04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Royal Challengers Bangalore is now 1-2 :(

They are Royally Challenged.

fundmark19
04-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Superkings are 1-1 need a huge win tommorow to get back on pace.

GirlySports
04-15-2011, 02:39 PM
The two favourites lose to two big chases the last couple of days.

Chennai couldn't defend 188 against Kings XI Punjab :D

Mumbai couldn't defend 182 against Kochi!

Slava
04-15-2011, 02:42 PM
This thread is awesome. I don't know anything about cricket, but when I read this thread and saw the game this morning I was somehow immediately drawn in.

GirlySports
04-16-2011, 02:07 PM
:yay: Two big wins by Kings XI Punjab chasing down two big totals.

GirlySports
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Good one going on right now.

Match reduced to 17 overs because of rain.

Chennai get 131. Kochi now chase 135 with only 102 balls available. Should be alot of smashing.

Slava
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm at home sick watching this. I have very little idea of whats going on, but at the same time its not terribly complex.

GirlySports
04-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm at home sick watching this. I have very little idea of whats going on, but at the same time its not terribly complex.

Let the scoreboard and the announcers lead you.
Kochi have to make 135 by a certain amount of balls.
Shots over the fence are 6 runs, shots along the ground to the fence are 4 runs. Everything else is counted by running back and forth.

The bowling team is obviously trying to get outs.

You Need a Thneed
04-18-2011, 12:03 PM
An over is 6 balls, the same bowler must bowl all six balls in the over from the same end of the field.

A single bowler can only bowl 20% of the total overs in the match.

Slava
04-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Ya, makes sense. What is the 135 (17) that they are showing? I guess that just means they need the 135 and have 17 overs to get there....just a reminder.

Its weird that they play one team entirely first and then the other. Pretty cool game to watch though!

Slava
04-18-2011, 12:06 PM
So the boundary is when it clears the "big" fence and they get 4 points for it rolling over the little triangle-shaped egde?

GirlySports
04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
So the boundary is when it clears the "big" fence and they get 4 points for it rolling over the little triangle-shaped egde?

6 points for clearing the triangle-shaped edge fully, 4 points if it bounces first.

Mccree
04-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Does an out (wicket) end an over? How many wickets (outs) does each team have?

ClubFlames
04-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Does an out (wicket) end an over? How many wickets (outs) does each team have?

No a wicket does not end an over. 6 balls are bowled regardless unless the batting team loses 10 wickets.

Each team has 10 wickets (outs)

4X4
04-19-2011, 07:52 AM
How are my Pune Warriors doing?

GirlySports
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
How are my Pune Warriors doing?

Good! They're 2-1.
They have a big game at Mumbai tomorrow.

fundmark19
04-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I was staying out of this thread until I saw the game. My super kings are not being so super right now. I will blame that game on the rain hopefully we bounce back!

You Need a Thneed
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
RCB pulls to 1-3-1, with a rain out today!

GirlySports
04-20-2011, 06:48 AM
RCB just got alot better

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/current/story/511889.html

Same argument in every sport.. to play for club or country?

Joborule
04-20-2011, 11:06 AM
So I'm watching this for the first time. When are the teams owned by the Bollywood beauts posted in this thread gonna be on Sportsnet One?

GirlySports
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
So I'm watching this for the first time. When are the teams owned by the Bollywood beauts posted in this thread gonna be on Sportsnet One?

LOL. Not sure, gotta check the schedule. They don't get alot of airtime, just shots from VIP press box.

HamptonIce
04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
What a day for the IPL! Should not have come down to the last over in each match. Mumbai and Kolkata should have taken victory easily!!! Both batting performances were brutal (Mumbai & kolkata).

Mccree
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
No a wicket does not end an over. 6 balls are bowled regardless unless the batting team loses 10 wickets.

Each team has 10 wickets (outs)

So I team could be done in ten balls if they are out "wicket" ten in a row?

A batting team that gets a bunch of early wickets will need to be more conservative than a team with less wickets going into the later overs?

Great game. I watch the game late at night so my sleep suffers. I may need to buy some of the nivia stuff for men. Seems to get you going after a late night

GirlySports
04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
So I team could be done in ten balls if they are out "wicket" ten in a row?

A batting team that gets a bunch of early wickets will need to be more conservative than a team with less wickets going into the later overs?

Great game. I watch the game late at night so my sleep suffers. I may need to buy some of the nivia stuff for men. Seems to get you going after a late night

yes and yes..

I think you've got it :)

A team may score a bit slower but if they keep their wickets (outs) then near the end they can go for it because they have wickets to spare.

One more little nuance for you. The first 6 overs, the fielding team can only have 2 men outside the infield circle (the 30 metre dotted circle you see on the field). So the field is wide open for the batters to hit 4s.. but it's early.. does the batting side go for it or stay conservative for later? However later on, the fielding side can have up to 5 fielders outside the circle I think. So what's your strategy?

GirlySports
04-20-2011, 11:29 PM
The two teams owned by the Bollywood Beauts play each other Thursday.

But it's on PPV. You guys are out of luck.

Mccree
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
^^^

Thanks for clearing up the field limits. The more I watch the more I like this game.

Mccree
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
What is the difference between ipl cricket and regular cricket?

You Need a Thneed
04-20-2011, 11:43 PM
What is the difference between ipl cricket and regular cricket?

There is different variations, mostly different numbers of overs per team.

The World Cup which just finished earlier this month, was One Day International (ODI) format, which has 50 overs (300 balls) per side. Obviously, teams have to play more conservative, or they will be all out before using all their balls. One game takes something like 6-8 hours.

Test Cricket, has an unlimited amount of overs, and each team bats twice. The game is played over a maximum of five days. If the game is not complete by the time limit, the match is declared a draw, no matter which team is ahead, or how far they are ahead. In order to prevent ties, a team can declare their innings over, without being all out, and that often happens. Teams can play ultra conservative.

Mccree
04-20-2011, 11:50 PM
^^

6 to 8 hour games is crazy. 5 day games insane. This "IPL" cricket is Perfect for me!

Mccree
04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
So many questions. Sorry for that.

There are two batters so does the bowler switch who the bowl too?

You Need a Thneed
04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Then there is stuff like "the Ashes." a series of 5 test matches between England and Australia.

You Need a Thneed
04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
So many questions. Sorry for that.

There are two batters so does the bowler switch who the bowl too?

In one over, the bowler must always bowl from the same side, so, if the batters score an odd number of runs, the other batter will face the bowler, if they score an even number of runs, the same batter faces the bowler again.

I believe that for every new over, the bowler can decide which end to bowl from.

GirlySports
04-21-2011, 08:07 AM
In one over, the bowler must always bowl from the same side, so, if the batters score an odd number of runs, the other batter will face the bowler, if they score an even number of runs, the same batter faces the bowler again.

I believe that for every new over, the bowler can decide which end to bowl from.

The bowlers must alternate ends after each over. So for the last ball of the over it's the opposite. Odd number of runs and the batter bats again, even number of runs the other batter will face.

You will often see a batter get a single off the last ball to "retain strike".

-----

As for 5-day matches, I treat it like one big 5 or 7 game series.
Imagine if the Flames played a 5 game series and it was total goals instead of wins and once a team got to 15 goals, the series ended.

GirlySports
04-21-2011, 08:56 AM
holy!

Kings XI Punjab have are 67/0 in their first 4 overs!

. . 4 1nb 4 2 1wd 1 | 1 1 1 1nb 4 . 2wd 4 | 6 4 6 . 4 5nb . | . 6 4 1 2 2

GirlySports
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
They get 195.. should have been over 200 but they screwed up at the end.
Not sure 195 is chasable.

Resolute 14
04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
5nb? What the hell did the defence do that they were able to run for five? I'm imagining a scenario like in baseball where the catcher throws wide to first, allowing the runner to go to second, then keep on going as the defence keeps throwing it away...

GirlySports
04-21-2011, 11:03 AM
5nb? What the hell did the defence do that they were able to run for five? I'm imagining a scenario like in baseball where the catcher throws wide to first, allowing the runner to go to second, then keep on going as the defence keeps throwing it away...

hahaha that's not it Res.

5nb is a boundary 4 hit off of a no ball (because the bowler foot faulted). So the team gets 4+1 and the ball has to be rebowled and it's a free hit.

Edit: although your scenario of not only 5 but a 7 can happen.

Z07LJ1zOx2A

Because if the fielder throws the ball past the boundary, it's a 4 also.

Da_Chief
04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
^^

6 to 8 hour games is crazy. 5 day games insane. This "IPL" cricket is Perfect for me!

IPL is a league version of T20 cricket (20 over matches). There is a T20 world cup, which started in 2007, happens every other year but with cancellation of another tourny back to back T20 world cups were played in 2009 and 2010. Next one is in 2012 now.

Girly, might as well make this a general cricket thread if you dont mind. Not a huge fan of IPL (making players choose between representing country or money - Malinga (SL), Gayle (WI))

If anyone is interested Pakistan vs West Indies T20 starts in 20 mins. Love the international games.

If anyone wants a feed to watch it, PM me. Some big hitters on both sides.

GirlySports
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
We'll keep this one IPL because it's short and on tv in Canada. Not sure there's enough fans for a general year round cricket thread.

Resolute 14
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
hahaha that's not it Res.

5nb is a boundary 4 hit off of a no ball (because the bowler foot faulted). So the team gets 4+1 and the ball has to be rebowled and it's a free hit.

Edit: although your scenario of not only 5 but a 7 can happen.

Ahh. Watching on TV, they always show the notation as the actual runs scored, and if it was an illegal ball. I would have expected your scoreline to say 4nb based on that, and expected that to mean 5 runs scored.

GirlySports
04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
hmmm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/liz-hurley-cheers-on-shane-warne-in-india/story-e6frf96f-1226043556966

http://allmovie-media.blogspot.com/2011/04/elizabeth-jane-hurley-in-ipl-matches.html

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5010/image4dae972454a51hurly.jpg

GirlySports
04-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Delhi Daredevils beat Kings XI Punjab 234-204. That's nuts!

ClubFlames
04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Mumbai Indians 172-4 beat Deccan Chargers 135-8 by 37 runs. Mumbai remains the top team in the league.

Kochi Tuskers 109 all out lose to Rajasthan Royals 111-2 by 8 wickets.

Slava
04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Chennai Super Kings vs. Pune Warriors on SN One right now. Says its live, but must be tape delayed? Either way, something different to check out.

ClubFlames
04-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Chennai Super Kings vs. Pune Warriors on SN One right now. Says its live, but must be tape delayed? Either way, something different to check out.

Not live. The match was played this morning. Just a replay.

Resolute 14
04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I rather wish these were replayed at 8:00, because staying up to midnight just doesn't work. Though I am kind of watching as I watch the Sharks-Kings game. Not sure 142 will do it for Chennai.

edit: Then again, losing four batters in the first six overs ain't helping Pune at all.

GirlySports
04-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Chennai's defense was amazing.

Delhi against Bangalore coming up at 8:30. Battle of the two best opening batsmen in the world. Sehwag vs. Gayle.

fundmark19
04-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Chennai is back in the this thing big team building win! If anyone uses the score mobile app they have IPL as one of their sports now

fundmark19
05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Watched two games yesterday chennai and the royals game. Huge bats from the royals to come back and win. Does calgary have beginner cricket leagues? I feel like it would be fun to play

Resolute 14
05-02-2011, 09:56 AM
If I have to watch that stupid Nivea for Men commercial one more time... :fist:

fundmark19
05-02-2011, 09:59 AM
So you won't be buying the eye roller to make you appear not tired?

Resolute 14
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
No, but lord knows I could use it after staying up later to watch these.

fundmark19
05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Another win for chennai! Tied for second place with Kolkate and are coming for mumbai!!

I feel like Mumbai is real lucky they don't play us again in regular season!

Weird Iplt20.com website has been taken over by a betting site. League folding?

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Batting clinic being put on by Chris Gayle right now.

70 off of 34 balls so far.

make that 74 off of 35.

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 09:24 AM
78 off of 36.

82 off of 37.

fundmark19
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
dang I forgot to set pvr

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 09:33 AM
90 off of 42 balls now.

8 fours & 8 sixes.

Gayle now has hit the most sixes out of anyone in the tournament, despite missing the first 3 or 4 games.

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 09:34 AM
97 off of 44 balls.

103 off of 46 balls

First batsman to score two centuries in IPL history.

fundmark19
05-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I thought each batsmen only got 6 bowls in an over?

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
finally out 107 in 49 balls.

GirlySports
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Kings XI absolutely cannot bowl.. they gave up 235 to Delhi earlier in the year!

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Kings XI absolutely cannot bowl.. they gave up 235 to Delhi earlier in the year!

apparently they can't bat either. Down 6 wickets in 9 overs, for only 58 runs.

GirlySports
05-06-2011, 11:46 AM
apparently they can't bat either. Down 6 wickets in 9 overs, for only 58 runs.

That's a bit different. If you're chasing a big total it's Go Big or Go Home. No point milking it for a decent total.

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 11:51 AM
and RCB wins by 85 runs. Just missed out on winning by 100 runs, as Kings XI scored 15 in the last over.

fundmark19
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
so does a batsman keep hitting until he gets an out? I am confused on how the hitting works

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 11:58 AM
so does a batsman keep hitting until he gets an out? I am confused on how the hitting works

There are two batsman at a time, and they each bat until they are out.

You Need a Thneed
05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Each over is 6 balls, all must be bowled by the same bowler, from the same end of the field. If a batter scores an even number of runs in one ball, he will face the next bowl thrown. If he scores an odd number of runs, the other batsman will face the next ball.

At the end of an over, the next over will be bowled from the other end, so a batter scoring an odd number of runs in the last ball of one over will face the first ball of the next over. If an even number of runs are scored in the last ball, then the other batsman will face the first ball of the next over.

GirlySports
05-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Also a bowler can only bowl a maximum of 4 overs in a T20 game and he cannot bowl in consecutive overs.

Resolute 14
05-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Cheerleader controversy!

http://www.espnstar.com/cricket/indian-premier-league/news/detail/item619873/Cheerleader-packed-off-for-blogging/

Athletes treat women like meat... who knew?

You Need a Thneed
05-11-2011, 09:45 AM
RCb playing again today. In their last match, Gayle had an over of 37 (!) runs. 4 sixes & 3 fours, with a 1 run penalty for the bowler stepping over the line. RCB was halfway done their chase after 3 overs in that one.

You Need a Thneed
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
RCB wins its sixth match in a row. Unbeaten since the arrival of Chris Gayle. Only 70 for him today, off of 44 balls, not out.

fundmark19
05-11-2011, 02:46 PM
So one guy can really make a huge difference for a team it seems. To bad Chris Gayle is no match for the Super kings!

GirlySports
05-17-2011, 08:40 AM
big match starting now..

Bangalore, going for 8 straight wins and a spot in the 1-2 game, are in Punjab who need a win to stay in the playoff hunt.

You Need a Thneed
05-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Was going well for RCB, held Punjab to 30 runs in the first 6 overs. Then Punjab exploded for 95 runs in the next 6 overs.

GirlySports
05-17-2011, 09:44 AM
They might get 250! I don't think Preity Zinta's stopped cheering once.

However, anything is chasable with Gayle and this bandbox of an oval.

You Need a Thneed
05-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Current partnership - 160, a new IPL record, and still going.

Marsh just scored 30 runs in one over, the second highest total in the IPL this year, after Gayle's 37.

You Need a Thneed
05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Now the highest partnership in T20 history.

Edit: Partnership ends at 206.

RCB chasing 233.

Slava
05-17-2011, 10:13 AM
So can the RCB get to 233?

Resolute 14
05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Well crap. I just now realized I can watch this online.

You Need a Thneed
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
So can the RCB get to 233?

Gayle just got out for zero, so, no.

Slava
05-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Gayle just got out for zero, so, no.

Ya, that was disappointing. This could be a beat down instead of something exciting.

You Need a Thneed
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, RCB does have more runs after 6 overs than KXIP did.

Resolute 14
05-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Losing too many batters though. Gotta go big, and instead are only going high.

GirlySports
05-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Kings XI Punjab lost their final match this morning and are eliminated.

The 4 playoffs teams are:

Chennai Super Kings 18pts
Royal Challengers Bangalore 17pts
Kolkata Knight Riders 16 pts
Mumbai Indians 16pts

They each have 1 match left for positioning.
Chennai vs Bangalore
Kolkata vs Mumbai

Kinda of funny the schedule worked out like that. Positioning will be important for the page playoff. Everyone wants to get into that 1 V 2 match.

GirlySports
05-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Bangalore beats Chennai, finishes 1st in the table and a place in the 1-2 game.

Kolkata vs Mumbai coming up, if Kolkata wins, they take 2nd place away from Chennai, Mumbai cannot get 2nd.

Slava
05-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Sucks that the playoffs are only on PPV....I am really liking watching and won't see the best part!

GirlySports
05-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Sucks that the playoffs are only on PPV....I am really liking watching and won't see the best part!

I think that's the idea.. lure you into liking it so that you'll buy the PPV :D

Slava
05-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I think that's the idea.. lure you into liking it so that you'll buy the PPV :D

Ya, I get it and it might work for some. I am too cheap I suppose....although I haven't looked and if it's cheap enough it might even work!

Slava
05-23-2011, 09:43 PM
The playoff games this week are $15 each it looks like, in case anyone is curious. The games are Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and the final is Saturday.

You Need a Thneed
05-24-2011, 10:23 AM
RCB just put up 175 in their innings in the 1 vs 2 game.

They started off slow, they were at only 94 through 13 overs, then really picked it up.

Kohli had 70 runs in only 44 balls. Really carried the team today.

You Need a Thneed
05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
And now RCB has gotten two bowlers out in the first 9 balls.

CSK 7-2 though 1.3 overs.

fundmark19
05-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Chennai wins chennai wins!!!!! Suck it bangalore!

Slava
05-24-2011, 02:39 PM
That sucked. I was watching the game here and there through the morning. When I had to leave for a meeting though it looked like Bangalore had the game in hand...apparently I missed the most exciting part though? Must have been a crazy last few overs?

You Need a Thneed
05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
That sucked. I was watching the game here and there through the morning. When I had to leave for a meeting though it looked like Bangalore had the game in hand...apparently I missed the most exciting part though? Must have been a crazy last few overs?

both teams really racked up the runs down the stretch.

RCB started slow, then got a chunk of runs at the end. Then CSK started even slower, but ended up taking a lot of runs in the last couple of overs. CSK needed 33 in the last two overs, and got 34 in the next 10 balls.

CSK had 36 runs in the first 8 overs, and 106 runs in the last 8 overs.

GirlySports
05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Wickets in hand are always the key.

fundmark19
05-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Pretty tempted to have a IPL championship party on saturday in hopes for my boys in yellow to repeat. By that I mean I need an excuse to drink beer at 8 30 am

Slava
05-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Mumbai just won and advanced in the 3-4 playoff.

You Need a Thneed
05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Gayle just destroying Mumbai right now.

fundmark19
05-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't know who I would rather have win. If Mumbai wins they are beatable. If they lose you have a huge wild card in Gayle. He can single handidly win a game

Slava
05-27-2011, 11:25 AM
RCB is looking pretty good at this point. Mumbai is 89-6 and it could well be RCB vs. CSK tomorrow morning.

You Need a Thneed
05-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Yup, Mumbai hasn't gotten anything going since Tendulkar got out.

fundmark19
05-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Any chance someone can fly to india and wack Gayles knee Nancy Kerrigan style?

You Need a Thneed
05-27-2011, 11:38 AM

I'm not sure anyone would want to even attempt that on a man of that size and power holding a bat.

Slava
05-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Canceling the IPL Finals party you had planned?

fundmark19
05-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Apparently none of my friends want to be up that early :( Anyone want to drink beer at 830 in the am tommorow?

Slava
05-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Can someone dumb this down a bit for me though: If they need 57 runs from 7 balls isn't the game over? If a boundary is 6 then how can they possibly score more than 42? I guess I don't have this as figured out as I thought?

You Need a Thneed
05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
technically, it is possible to score an unlimited amount of runs off of a ball. That's why they don't end the game.

fundmark19
05-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure anyone would want to even attempt that on a man of that size and power holding a bat.

Don't do it while he is still holding his bat! Get him coming out of the shower or going out for dinner or off the team bus. Be sneaky! He won't be able to run and catch you since his knee will be blown

GirlySports
05-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Can someone dumb this down a bit for me though: If they need 57 runs from 7 balls isn't the game over? If a boundary is 6 then how can they possibly score more than 42? I guess I don't have this as figured out as I thought?

Statistically there can always be wides and no balls. It's not totally uncommon to get 13 off one ball. Batter hits a 6 off a no ball (foot fault) and then on the following free hit get another 6.

GirlySports
05-28-2011, 08:06 AM
The Chennai Super Kings have won the toss and have chosen to BAT FIRST!

fundmark19
05-28-2011, 08:40 AM
10 0 after 1.5 overs let's keep this rolling

fundmark19
05-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Back to back jacks! Husssssssssss let's keep rolling

GirlySports
05-28-2011, 08:58 AM
CSK looking good and they bat very deep in their lineup. Could be a huge score!

Slava
05-28-2011, 09:23 AM
I can't watch this morning...so disappoint. Where do we get a fix once the IPL is over? Now that I'm interested don't tell me I have to wait until next May!

fundmark19
05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Still on first batsmen after 11.4 overs 114 0

GirlySports
05-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I can't watch this morning...so disappoint. Where do we get a fix once the IPL is over? Now that I'm interested don't tell me I have to wait until next May!

Yup Next May.

I have heard rumours that are considering eventually having 2 IPL seasons per year in the future with a September/October season held in North America! They know that they could make a boatload of money here. Don't know if that'll ever fly but they want games in Toronto, New York, Boston etc...

Other than that there's not much else. There's a T20 World Cup every two years (even numbered years). Or else we'll have to teach you the longer forms of cricket like 50 over matches or test matches :D

GirlySports
05-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Wow. RCB chasing 205 and Gayle goes for NAUGHT!

fundmark19 must be dancing

fundmark19
05-28-2011, 12:10 PM
What a match we are the champions! There is a lot of fireworks going off. I can't believe we have to wait another year

fundmark19
05-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I love how post game interviews were all about the party they will be having

oilyfan
05-28-2011, 12:55 PM
This was a very good tournament, there needs to be a bit more parity in the regular season but otherwise was a great follow up to the World Cup. Well for an Indian at least!

Da_Chief
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Sri Lanka is starting a similar league, around August.

Champions league will also take some sometime soon, where the finalists of these 4,5 leagues faceoff against each other, Memorial cup style.

Besides that watch what is happening in England right now, test series between English and Sri Lankans. On a pitch where the the first inning from the 2 sides produced 896 runs with only 15 wickets, the English is destroying the Lankan. 8 wickets down and they trail by 23 runs. This should've been a draw, but now English have 27 overs to get these last 2 wickets and grab this stunning win.

Da_Chief
05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/133500/133562.jpg

English slip cordon, AMAzing. Sorry to bother your IPL thread but this is awesome.

It might look like they're standing behind each other but they're not.

GirlySports
05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
That's a beautiful picture and they truly was a stunning innings win.

fundmark19
05-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Why are they standing like that? Does the bowler throw nasty junk and could easily be missed from its crazy bounce?

Da_Chief
05-30-2011, 04:08 PM
They're standing in catching position. Any movement from the ball can potentially cause an edge (ball nicking the bat) and if you have lotsa movement or you want an aggressive field you do that. An edge can carry to any one of the fielders in the slip and catch out can be had.

I don't reme,ber but I wouldn't be surprised be they had a silly point and short leg (guys in front of the batter, really close to him). Thats intense.

If you watch the old dominating West Indies, they would set fields like that on regular basis.

5F5lU_6-T2I

This is what can happen when you fierce bowling and in close fielders.

ClubFlames
06-04-2011, 11:09 PM
^^I remember Ambrose and Walsh just ripping through top orders in the 90s. Scary.

GirlySports
06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6657523/so-cricket-maybe

Two Americans get a DVD of the India-Pakistan semifinal played two months ago and give hilarious commentary of what they're seeing at they learn the game

We are told that in ODI (One-Day International) tournaments, the team that bats first wins 72 percent of the time. This whole thing is basically NFL overtime. So when India wins the toss and elects to hit first, it strikes us as odd that the announcers would bother to discuss whether that decision is wise, but they do. They then do an interview with the Pakistani captain who does an admirable job of pretending that if he'd won the toss he would probably have just chosen to bat second anyway, but you can clearly tell he just died a little inside. Then they head over to the Indian captain who is handsome and oozes team leader. He is Steve Garvey-esque, and his interview is straight from the Nuke Laloosh school of sports clichés. Nate finds this vaguely disappointing, as he always wants foreign things to be more foreign than they usually are.

Each side gets two video reviews, and the Indians decide to use one — again, Sehwag is one of their best guys, so it's worth it to try to prove the ump wrong. Instantly, an incredibly authoritative-looking computer animation from a machine called Hawk-Eye (the same Hawk-Eye used in major tennis tournaments, interestingly) — shows definitively that (a) Gul did not foot fault, and (b) the ball's trajectory would definitely have struck the wicket had Sehwag's padded shin not gotten in the way. The computer replay animation looks fantastic. The whole thing takes 20 seconds, and leaves no room for doubt. The crowd watches it on a diamond vision screen and for 40 seconds, the whole contest is turned into a video game, yet it is surprisingly awesome. The fact that baseball has not embraced replay for all matters concerning the game now seems like the craziest aspect of any sport in the universe.

Da_Chief
09-19-2011, 08:43 AM
If anyone wants more T20 cricket. The Champions League has started (basically top T20 teams of different nations playing off against each other). It is available on Shaw, Bell etc but you have to pay.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/champions-league-twenty20-2011/content/series/519661.html

If interested.

Australian T20 league isn't far away either. Big Bash is upon us!

fundmark19
09-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Lets go super kings! To bad I won't pay shaw anymore money due to their awful service

Jimmy Stang
03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm giving this thread a big fat bump because the 2012 IPL season is upon us.

Last year I was drawn in and really enjoyed watching the IPL. I also picked up a cricket game for the PS3 while in England last year, which has helped me understand and appreciate the game. To say that I am excited for the new IPL season is an understatement.

A quick scan of the TV listings shows Sportsnet One (and your PVR) will be your friend for watching the matches, with coverage starting on April 4th at 8:30 am. So far, nothing comes up on Sportsnet World for IPL cricket, which hopefully suggests that Sportsnet will be making good use of the "main" networks instead of the subscription-based Sportsnet World. This is pure speculation on my part, so please share any broadcast info that you might have.

There is also a YouTube channel for the IPL broadcasts, with at least the first match queued up to show live (and a bunch of highlights from last season, etc.). This might come in handy for watching the odd match from... I don't know... work or something. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/indiatimes/

And finally, here's a promo video with a tune that will get stuck in your head all day:

A3fuSR40Bmw

You Need a Thneed
03-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Go RCB!

Da_Chief
03-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Jimmy, what game did you pick up in England?

Jimmy Stang
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Jimmy, what game did you pick up in England?

I got "International Cricket 2010" simply because it was the only one I could find, and it was on sale at ASDA for £20 or something like that. The game got slammed a bit by reviewers, unfortunately, but most of the criticisms were lost on me because I simply don't have enough knowledge of the sport to know any better. My objective was to learn the rules and a little bit of the strategy, and it succeeded at providing me that. My baby boy arrived late this past summer, so my video gaming has gone way down as of late, including NHL and FIFA.

I was actually over in the UK again a few weeks ago and had a look for any new cricket games, and didn't even find any old ones either. The nice thing is that the PS3 isn't region-locked for games, so you could theoretically order a game online and it would work just fine here. Whether the shipping would make it worthwhile is another question.

Da_Chief
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Ya, thats the one I ordered online and have, I was wondering if anything new came out. That game was made by English and Aus cricket boards so if you notice, all English and Aus players names are their actual names but every other country the names have been messed up a bit.

I don't know why all the boards can't just get together and make a new game.

GirlySports
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
IPL have lost a team, Kochi folded after one year. Which is too bad since I sort of liked them.

Down to 9 teams this season. Should be fun! :)

fundmark19
03-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Lets go superkings! Getting excited. We have an actual cricket fan in the office now so I have someone to go to for any questions

Joborule
03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Go Team Zinta & Team Shetty! :D

Slava
03-28-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this again. I have to have a look and see who I was cheering for last year (such a devoted fan, lol!)

GirlySports
04-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Kary Perry to open IPL season. (http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/318936/20120324/ipl-opening-night-2012-katy-perry-perform.htm)
(http://ibnlive.in.com/news/ipl-opening-night-who-is-katy-perry/241761-44-124.html)

Jimmy Stang
04-03-2012, 10:27 PM
So the season starts tomorrow morning. It looks like the first week of games will be on Sportsnet One and Sportsnet World. After the 11th, however, it may require subscribing to Sportsnet World (or that the schedule hasn't been updated to include games on SN1 yet).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/tv_sked_full.php?sked_id=cricket-WEST

Jimmy Stang
04-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Not that I'd ever advocate watching cricket at work ;) , if you are so inclined, there is a live stream on YourTube of this morning's game. Just started a few minutes ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7D0BQJr3zQ

GirlySports
04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
COOL, I hope they do this the entire season!

Jimmy Stang
04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
COOL, I hope they do this the entire season!

I have a suspicion that there are teaser games, as they wouldn't want to undercut their broadcasters. But still - enjoy it while you can!

I do have a feeling that Sportsnet will be showing the first week extensively on Sportsnet One before playing most of the games on Sportsnet World. I guess that $16 x 2 months is worth it, especially if you're able to PVR these and watch them in the evenings.

I have a subscription to premierleaguelive.tv for BPL football, which I always saw as being an alternative to Sportsnet World because I could see my Norwich games live. But now I have a conundrum - do I pay for both services concurrently? Who am I kidding - I'll end up doing it!

GirlySports
04-08-2012, 10:35 AM
my team, the Kings XI Punjab, suck!

You Need a Thneed
04-17-2012, 12:23 PM
HUGE comeback from Royal Challengers Bangalore just now.

RCB was chasing 183, and were at 72/3 only 1 ball away from the end of 12 overs. Chris Gayle then hits a 4 and 5 consecutive sixes in his next six balls to restore hope.

However at the end of 15 overs, RCB is still only at 117, needing 66 runs in the last 30 balls. RCB gets two 11 run overs, so at the end of 17 overs RCB requires 44 from 18 balls. The 18th over is good, as RCB gets 16, but the 19th over sees RCB only picking up 7. 21 is required from the last over.

The first ball of the over only scores 1 run for RCB, so they need 20 runs from just 5 balls. They get a four, and then two sixes in the next three balls, meaning that they need 4 from the last two balls. It then comes down to the last ball, where 3 runs are needed. Tiwary hits a six to complete the comeback, with 24 RCB runs in the last over.

RCB needed the points, with a loss, they would have fallen to 1-4, and now are 2-3.

Da_Chief
04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Gayle's a treat to watch. He's getting back into WI side for the England tour, should be fun.

fundmark19
04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
My superkings are sucking not impressed

GirlySports
04-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Bangalore about to being their chase of 190. Should be fun!

tete
04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Newbie question (sorry, didn't read the entire thread) - courtesy of my four month old who likes to wake up between 4-5 am, I've been watching a heck of a lot of cricket on the weekends - but I have no clue what's going on! Is there a "Cricket for Dummies" tutorial?

GirlySports
04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Newbie question (sorry, didn't read the entire thread) - courtesy of my four month old who likes to wake up between 4-5 am, I've been watching a heck of a lot of cricket on the weekends - but I have no clue what's going on! Is there a "Cricket for Dummies" tutorial?

hmm what is it you need to know, just fire off a bunch of questions :)

tete
04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Oy, so many questions that I have!

First one: How does scoring work? Is there different scoring depending on where you hit the ball (I keep hearing about fours and sixes, which I gather is distance/area where the ball goes?)

GirlySports
04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
ok

so this is a 20 over game, each over consists of 6 balls (or 6 pitches)
So each team bats for 20 overs (or 10 outs, whichever happened first) and the team with the highest points wins.

If a batter hits the ball over the triangular boundary on the fly it's 6 runs.
If a batter hits the ball to the triangular boundary (hitting the ground first) then it's 4 runs.
Anywhere else and the batters have to run for their runs.

Like baseball, if the ball is caught in the air, the batter is out.

tete
04-28-2012, 11:24 AM
That helps a ton! Thanks! I know I have more questions but my brain is drawing a blank right now!

GirlySports
05-20-2012, 10:11 AM
The playoffs are set.

Delhi will play Kolkata in the 1-2 game on Tuesday.
Mumbai will play Chennai in the 3-4 on Wednesday.

Chennai somehow make the playoffs as this morning last placed Deccan defeated Bangalore to save Chennai.

fundmark19
05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I can't believe they made it in. What a brutal season so far hopefully like all sports the playoffs are the start of a new season and we can repeat!

Jimmy Stang
05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Before the season began, I was thinking about subscribing to Sportsnet World to catch as many games as possible. But I have found that even just recording the 4 (usually) matches each weekend on regular Sportsnet has given me a backlog of unwatched matches. I may subscribe for the week to watch the playoffs, however. ;)

GirlySports
05-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Kolkata beat Dehli in the 1-2 game and go straight to Sunday's Final.

Chennai crushed Mumbai in the 3-4 game and will meet Dehli in the semifinal on Friday.

In an interesting twist both semifinal and final will be played in Chennai because they are the defending champions.

Jimmy Stang
05-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Chennai had a rough start today (the first few overs at bat were sketchy), but they ended up getting it together nicely.

I have slowly made KKR "my team" for completely superficial reasons. First, any team called the Knight Riders is hard to resist, and I managed to find a t-shirt on eBay with their old logo and it is pretty awesome.

I figured that it would be fun to pick a team to support a little more in depth, although I do try and watch as many teams as possible. I find the IPL quite entertaining regardless of who is playing.

GirlySports
05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
I just looked at the schedule, Sunday's final will be on Sportsnet West woohoo

Jimmy Stang
05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
(Put in spoiler tags just in case anyone is PVR-ing the match right now):

Holy smokes - Chennai are absolutely owning this match. 222-5 after their 20 at bat. To say that Delhi have their work cut out for them is a major understatement.

GirlySports
05-27-2012, 10:14 AM
The Final on Sportsnet now.... Chennai bat first and get 190!
Kolkata about to chase.

Da_Chief
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Good chase and tremendous batting by Kallis and Bisla. I didn't even realize till the end they'd sat McCullum for Bisla, luckily for Gmabhir, Bisla came through.

The turning point came off of what ended up being Hillfy's 2nd last ball. Could've easily been 15 runs needed off the last over, instead it ended up being 9 off the last over.

What was Dhoni thinking? giving the ball back to Bravo, he should've been replaced after his first spell. Raina should've gotten a go at it.

Good for KKR though, they were terrible in the first season and now the Champs in the 5th.

Should be a good Champions Cup, Pakistan will be represented by Sialkot Stallions who are stacked with big time talent.

Jimmy Stang
05-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Well that was an entertaining final. Chennai certainly set the bar high, but KKR made the most of their batting. I watched the final throughout the day at various intervals - a little at home, a little at the in-laws via my Slingbox, etc. so it seemed to last all day!

GirlySports
11-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Anyone watching the Aus-SA 2nd test!? Fabulous batting track in Adelade. Aus already have 250 before TEA! But 4 wickets have fallen so SA are still in.

Can't see a draw in this one, should be a winner :)

Da_Chief
11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Warner playing like Shewag, nice to see agressive batting. A run rate of over 5 is insane at this stage.

Punter reaaaaaly struggling, a drop might be in order.

Clarke, what a leader. He was really good before captaincy but since taking over the captaincy he is playing out of this world. Averaging 70 as a captain in tests, unreal.

Tahir getting taken to the cleaners lol.

Also, Bangla #10 batsman, Abul Hasan, scored a 100 today in their first innings. Became the first ever batsman in 110 years to score a century from number 10 on debut. Impressive.

Exciting cricket. Pakistan visiting India in December, that should be a cracker.

GirlySports
11-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Amazingly AUS are bowled out for 550. It was 482/5 so a good SA fight back.

agulati
11-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Bad game for India against England at home. English spinning due totally outplayed the spin trio on the Indian side. Will be interesting to see the selection for the next two tests after this abysmal performance at home by the Indian side.

On a side note got to love Panesar and his expressions.

GirlySports
11-26-2012, 08:30 AM
yup that was really embarassing.

SA Salvaged a draw chasing 420.

Da_Chief
12-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Ricky Ponting out for the last time. End!
http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/152200/152294.jpg

SA Captain Smith congratulating Ricky on a great career.
Punter's gone.

GirlySports
01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Watch the carnage from this morning's test match between South Africa and New Zealand Day 1!

hpHdN-wc2VY

Jimmy Stang
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Another IPL season is upon us. The first match will be this Wednesday at 8:30 am Calgary time. This particular match is on Sportsnet World, but it looks like many of the upcoming ones will be on Sportsnet One in a similar arrangement to last year.

I subscribe to Sportsnet World Online for my English Premier League matches, so the added bonus is that many (most? all?) of the games will be available on there, both live and on demand afterwards. If their EPL coverage is any indication, anything that they have the rights for will be available, even if it isn't broadcast on the traditional TV channels. Time will tell, I guess.

Ladbrokes odds seem to indicate two separate packs of teams, with no clear favourite and no clear punching bag:

Chennai Super Kings 5.00
Mumbai Indians 5.50
Kolkata Knight Riders 5.50
Bangalore Royal Challengers 6.00
Delhi Daredevils 6.50
Pune Warriors 11.00
Kings Xi Punjab 13.00
Sunrisers Hyderabad 15.00
Rajasthan Royals 15.00

fundmark19
04-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Woo! Cricket time!! I don't have sportsnetworld in my package though :(

You Need a Thneed
04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Gayle put up 92 on 58 balls for RCB.

The rest of the team combined put up 48 on 62 balls - with 5 wickets.

One man show.

Hopefully they can defend 156 against Mumbai.

Raekwon
04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Woo! Cricket time!! I don't have sportsnetworld in my package though :(

I love watching from time to time but at $17/month I can't justify it :(

fundmark19
04-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree when I had the promo viewing of it I use to watch Rugby all the time as a casual back ground TV filler

You Need a Thneed
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
RCB hangs on to win by 2 runs after an exciting last few overs. Came down to the last ball.

Jimmy Stang
04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
I love watching from time to time but at $17/month I can't justify it :(

There are a bunch of games in the coming weeks on Sportsnet One, which should make it easier to catch the games. I pay for the online version of Sportsnet World ($25/month!!), but every week my folks come over and bring breakfast for soccer matches, so my investment is actually the smaller of the two! IPL Cricket is just a bonus since I'm subscribing anyway.

GirlySports
04-05-2013, 07:40 AM
They replay games late at night on SN1 so you can PVR.

You Need a Thneed
04-16-2013, 12:04 PM
RCB can only play close games. Going to their second super over of the year right now - after very nearly having a third super over last match.

RCB was fully in control most of the chase, then stumbled in the closing overs, still needing 12 in the last over. A six from the first ball takes them back into the match, and they steal one for a tie on the last ball when the catcher bobbles the ball.

Super Over coming up.

You Need a Thneed
04-16-2013, 12:15 PM
RCB batted first in the super over, DeVilliers and Gayle combined for 3 runs in the first 4 balls, but De Villiers saved the super over for RCB with back to back 6s in the last two balls. Dehli needs 16 to win.

You Need a Thneed
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Delhi could only score 11 after a first ball catch by Gayle, and Rampaul bowled a wicket on the last ball when only a 6 would win the game for Delhi.

RCB matches so far:

Match 1 - won by two runs after preventing Mumbai from scoring a boundary on the last ball.

Match 2 - Game tied , lost in super over to Hyderabad.

Match 3 - Sucessful chase with 14 balls remaining

Match 4 - Successful chase with 15 balls remaining

Match 5 - Last ball no ball gave Chennai the victory by 1 run.

Match 6 - Perhaps the craziest of them all. In the first half, Delhi scores 30 in the last two overs to raise their score to 152. RCB looks to be in the drivers seat with a 100+ partnership between Kohli and De Villiers. Though 15 overs, they sit at 126, needing 27 runs from 30 balls. Starting with the last ball of the 16th over, RCB makes 5 outs in 17 balls, scoring only 9 runs in between, leaving RCB with 15 runs required from 8 balls. Rampaul hits a crucial 6 on the first ball of the last over to make it 6 runs required from 5 balls. 4 runs in the nest three balls leaves RCB needing 2 from 2, and then Delhi gets a dot ball from the penultimate delivery. On the last ball, Rampaul misses, but the runners scramble and make the one run as the catcher bobbles the ball slightly, and can't hit the sticks with a quick throw. Game tied.

In the super over, RCB bats first, Gayle and AB de Villiers only manage three singles and a dot ball with the first four, but De Villiers clobbers the last two balls for sixes, RCB scores 15 in the tiebreaker.

In Delhi's turn, the first ball is hit straight in the air to Gayle, who catches it easily. The second ball goes for 4, leaving Delhi needing 12 in four balls. The third ball is a miss, but the fourth ball is flicked backwards over the boundary for 6. 6 from 2 required. A single run leaves Delhi needing a six, and only a six in the last ball to win the match, but they can't do it as Rohrer, taking his first swing of the super over, misses, and Rampaul's ball hits the outside stump.

Two easy victories in between, but 4 intensely close matches that all came down to the final ball. They went 2-2 in those 4 matches. They could be 6-0 just as easily as they could be 2-4.

You Need a Thneed
04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
In today's games:

Pune Warriors looked to be in good shape after holding Sunrisers Hyderabad to 119, and needing 19 runs with 19 balls remaining, with 6 wickets remaining. They then proceeded to get 6 outs in the next 13 balls that they faced, including the last 3 balls of the match, and 4 of the last 5.

In the second match, Rajasthan Royals scored 179 in the first half, and then held Mumbai to 92 all out in the second half - winning by a comfortable 87 runs.

GirlySports
04-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Why do Indians only watch 1 sport? It's an obsession!

LNRzDoIYri4

Slava
04-21-2013, 09:28 PM
The game this morning (Pune Warriors vs. Kings XI Punjab) was awesome. Just a great game all around!

You Need a Thneed
04-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Chris Gayle just put up 175! Not out vs Pune, to lead RCB to 263!

13 4s and 17 6s for Gayle.

Da_Chief
04-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Chris Gayle just put up 175! Not out vs Pune, to lead RCB to 263!

13 4s and 17 6s for Gayle.

Insane, I gotta watch his innings. Wow, he's amazing when he's on.

You Need a Thneed
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Records set today:

175 - Highest individual score ever in T20 cricket.
263 - Highest team score ever in T20 cricket.
30 - Balls required for Chris Gayle's century - least ever.
17 - Sixes hit by Gayle - all time T20 record. Only one TEAM in history has hit more.
21 - sixes hit by one team combined - previous record 18.
210 - most runs ever from boundaries in one innings.

130 - RCB won by 130 runs - not a record, but top 10.

RCB had overs of 29, 28, 28, 21, 19, 18, and 18 runs.

Gayle now has 11 T20 centuries - 6 more than second place.

You Need a Thneed
04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Gayle's hits, in order:

Over 1:
0 0 1

Over 2:
4 4 0 4nb 4 0 4

Over 3:
Didn't face a ball

Over 4:

Over 5:
6 6 4 0 6 6

Over 6:
didn't face a ball

Over 7:
4 6 1 6 0

Over 8:
6 6 4 6 6

Over 9:
0 1 6 1

Over 10:
0 1 1 0

Over 11:
1 1

Over 12:
0 0 6 1 1wd 1lb

Over 13:
1 0 1 6

Over 14:
4 1

Over 15:
4 6 1wd 6 4 6

Over 16:
1 1

Over 17:
0 1

Over 18:
4 1 4 1

Over 19:
1 1wd 1lb

Over 20:
6 1 1

From the 2nd Over until 100 was reached (27 balls)

in that stretch:
11 sixes
8 fours
3 singles
5 dots

ClubFlames
04-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Just watched Gayle's innings. What a masterpiece. 4-5 of those sixes went out of the stadium, I don't think I have ever seen that in an entire match and Gayle did it all by himself. Unbelievable.

You Need a Thneed
04-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Just watched Gayle's innings. What a masterpiece. 4-5 of those sixes went out of the stadium, I don't think I have ever seen that in an entire match and Gayle did it all by himself. Unbelievable.

And a bunch of the ones that didn't get out of the stadium got into the crowd so fast, the TV cameras couldn't keep up.

Slava
05-19-2013, 02:49 PM
RCB pulled off the win last night, in a rain shortened 8 over game against Chennai (suck it fundmark!)

For RCB it all comes down to the Pune/Hyderabad match-up today (and airing locally at 9pm). Final match and it will determine who makes the playoffs.

fundmark19
05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Bush league this game is rigged!

GirlySports
05-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Bush league this game is rigged!

heh no worries, you're in the 1-2 game tomorrow!

fundmark19
05-20-2013, 07:45 PM
I guess we did it the hard way last year as well

fundmark19
05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Super kings put up 192 and the chase is on! I hope we can hold on

Jimmy Stang
05-21-2013, 11:26 AM
The last few overs haven't good for Mumbai, but they were on a roll for a bit. Chennai have set the bar pretty high - MI will have to be pretty consistent to catch them. Hoping for a close finish purely for entertainment. ;)

fundmark19
05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
We did it the dream lives on!

Jimmy Stang
05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
There's a rain delay holding things up for today's match. Apparently the toss is hopefully going to happen at 9:00 MT, and play beginning at 9:15.

GirlySports
05-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Mumbai should chase this down but seem to be struggling at the end here...

fundmark19
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Mumbai wins on second last ball. Can't wait to see them get crushed by the super kings

Jimmy Stang
05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Close finish! I think Chennai will lay a licking on them though. As a bit of a neutral, I'll just hope for a close match.

fundmark19
05-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Close finish! I think Chennai will lay a licking on them though. As a bit of a neutral, I'll just hope for a close match.

Sounds like a cop out! You should have picked the best team in the world like I did when we first got exited for this sport on cp

GirlySports
05-26-2013, 10:48 AM
chennai in deep doo-doo

3-3 after 10 balls chasing 148.