PDA

View Full Version : UK Hockey?

welshflame
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi,

Its been a while since i've posted but we're coming over in February from the UK and planning on catching up with the Bruins game, can't wait!!

Just wanted to know if any of you guys follow/have any interest in UK hockey?

I know its very much a minority sport over here but is growing in popularity, especially in my part of the world, South Wales! I got into hockey as a result of a trip over to Canada just over four years ago when myself and my brother in law watched our first ever hockey match against the Canuks in Calgary and loved every minute of it! So much so we took in the Panthers game three days later!

Now i'm a season ticket holder with the Cardiff Devils!

The Devils are currently on a 21 game winning streak and playing great hockey. We think we've created a world record for the most consecutive wins in professional hockey!

Its hard for UK hockey to attract the major players over here but in our ranks is Craig Weller (last with the Coyotes) who has been fantastic since joining us earlier this season!

Really looking forward to getting my four yearly fix in the Saddledome next month and hopefully share a beer or two!! :)

Barnet Flame
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
I love Cardiff, used to do quite a bit of work up in Companies House and a fair bit od staggering late at night down Caroline Street.

I went to a few games when the London Knights had a team, but the closest team now is Basingstoke I think.

The standard certainly improved from when I first got here in the 80s when teams would oftne score 20+ goals in a game.

Haven't seen much UK hockey since I dumped Sky.

icarus
01-14-2011, 07:22 AM
I love Cardiff, used to do quite a bit of work up in Companies House and a fair bit od staggering late at night down Caroline Street.

I went to a few games when the London Knights had a team, but the closest team now is Basingstoke I think.

The standard certainly improved from when I first got here in the 80s when teams would oftne score 20+ goals in a game.

Haven't seen much UK hockey since I dumped Sky.There aren't any Elite League teams in the Southeast, they are all in the Midlands and up (in England), Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

As for the English Premier Ice Hockey Premier league, you have a few teams closer to you than Basingstoke, namely Milton Keyes, Slough, Bracknell, and Guildford.

The only game I've been to is a Guildford Flames game last season, which isn't too far from where I work. It is the team that Jamie McLennan played for during the lockout and as such there are a lot of Calgary Flames fans and jerseys in attendance at the games.

Although the crowds aren't huge, there are a lot of knowledgable hockey fans here in the UK.

NBC
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
^ Yeah, too bad they all call it ice hockey.

Barnet Flame
01-14-2011, 11:59 AM
I annoy everybody by calling field hockey, field hockey.

Did anyone watch the Belfast Giants when Theo was playing for them? He still had the same hunger and fight as he did in the NHL - a true competitor.

SebC
01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Go Flames Go! :D

NBC
01-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Apparently my partner and her family used to go fairly regularly to watch the local hockey team - Romford Raiders - play. This was back in the early to mid 90s when it was more like the UHL or the West Texas Professional League.

They never went as a family to watch soccer, but went to watch hockey and they all really liked the games. We were back in Calgary over the holidays and went to the NYE game and the one against the Isles. She loved it. She's become a Flames fan now. Plus she heckled some loser on the train at Gatwick airport who was wearing an Oilers hat and T-shirt. That's gotta be a Flames fan.

scottish_flame
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Braehead Clan all the way

Lee of Red
02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
The Devils have a pretty sweet 25th Anniversary jersey out

http://shop.cardiffdevils.com/uploads/products/600/1295279138_25th_Anniversary_Shirt.jpg