PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL offseason thead.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

burn_baby_burn
01-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Even though the playoffs are still in full swing. There are lots of off season moves going on with the teams that out of the tournament. The drama in Miami for instance.

So here is your NFL off season thread to hold us through to training camp in July, 2011.

Chiefs news? Outside of getting killed in Arrowhead yesterday, the Chiefs are looking to replace OC Charlie Weiss as soon as possible. Numerous rumors out there for potential candidates. One strong possibility is Denver Broncos OC Mike McCoy.

transplant99
01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Even though the playoffs are still in full swing. There are lots of off season moves going on with the teams that out of the tournament. The drama in Miami for instance.

So here is your NFL off season thread to hold us through to training camp in July, 2011.

Chiefs news? Outside of getting killed in Arrowhead yesterday, the Chiefs are looking to replace OC Charlie Weiss as soon as possible. Numerous rumors out there for potential candidates. One strong possibility is Denver Broncos OC Mike McCoy.

I would think McDaniels is a possibility there if he isnt getting another HC gig which is highly unlikely.

rubecube
01-10-2011, 10:56 AM
All the rumours are that McDaniels will be in Minnesota next year.

Dallas, the Jets, and Redskins are all likely out of the Asomugha sweepstakes due to cap issues. The Eagles could be in play, but are unlikely as they already have $22M committed to Samuel. That leaves probably Houston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and the Giants as the most likely destinations.

I'd still like to see the Eagles find a way to bring him, but they do need to sign Jackson, Vick, and others to new contracts. Jonathan Joseph would also be a good second choice.

OILFAN #81
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Seems as though Carolina has found a new coach.....San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

burn_baby_burn
01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I would think McDaniels is a possibility there if he isnt getting another HC gig which is highly unlikely.

There were rumors of him being a likely candidate last week.

transplant99
01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Seems as though Carolina has found a new coach.....San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

I don't get it if this turns out to be the case.

By far the worst offense in the NFL last year and maybe in the last 10 years...and they go to a defensive minded guy. (Albeit a very very good one)

In that division you better be able to put up some points or you are dead.

Sylvanfan
01-10-2011, 12:09 PM

Rivera has been one hell of a DC. IIRC the Chargers were like 2-5 and a mess on defence when he took over their defence the year they finished 8-8 and won the AFC West, and the past two years they've had an elite defence despite not having a lot of big name guys.

But good co-ordinators don't always make for good head coaches. Either way if he's no longer San Diegos DC, than I'm smiling as I don't think they replace him with an upgrade or equal guy.

Carolina is the one team who doesn't have a stud QB...they'll need to have an absolutely dominating defence if they want to survive in that Division until they find a QB.

OILFAN #81
01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Kevin Kolb said he is not going to be a backup next year and wants to be a starter somewhere else if he can't be in Philly.

Displaced Flames fan
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Kevin Kolb said he is not going to be a backup next year and wants to be a starter somewhere else if he can't be in Philly.

Good luck with that Kevin.

He hasn't played well enough for a team to swoop in and offer him their starting jobs. There will be some jobs open, but he'll have to compete.

Erick Estrada
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't get it if this turns out to be the case.

By far the worst offense in the NFL last year and maybe in the last 10 years...and they go to a defensive minded guy. (Albeit a very very good one)

Sounds like Richardson was always targeting a defensive guy to replace Fox. Too early to say if it's a bad hire as Rivera is a really good DC that has finally got his shot after getting passed over for a while now. As long as he can bring in a quality OC and give him control rather than the generic offense that Fox liked to run they may be okay but there's going to be growing pains regardless as they are really slim at nearly all positions on offense.

Erick Estrada
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Good luck with that Kevin.

He hasn't played well enough for a team to swoop in and offer him their starting jobs. There will be some jobs open, but he'll have to compete.

There are some pretty needy teams though and Kolb would likely be an upgrade for teams like Arizona, Carolina, Cleveland, etc. I'm not sold on him but I would take him over Anderson, Delhomme, Henne, etc.

Displaced Flames fan
01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
There are some pretty needy teams though and Kolb would likely be an upgrade for teams like Arizona, Carolina, Cleveland, etc. I'm not sold on him but I would take him over Anderson, Delhomme, Henne, etc.

Don't disagree, but there will be some better options out there.

Orton, Volek etc.

I think Arizona is going to give Skelton a chance.

CofR
01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I didn't see this posted in either of the other threads but the Bucs exercised the two year option on Raheem Morris on Saturday. Fully expected with the great season we had, I'm looking forward to next year to see how we can fare with a tougher schedule and even further development of the young talent we have.

rubecube
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Tom Heckert, Cleveland's GM, was the guy who drafted Kolb when he was with Philly and is still really high on him. Throw into the mix the likelihood that former Eagles QB coach Pat Shurmur is likely to be the new head coach in Cleveland and it makes sense that Kolb would go there.

Apparently Andy Reid and Howie Roseman (Eagles GM) are also still high on Kolb and are wanting two first round picks. I think they're out of their minds, but I could see them landing two seconds or a second and couple thirds, etc.

transplant99
01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I think Colt McCoy may already a better QB than Kolb and certainly should get better with some experience.

Not sure why the Browns would be looking at Kolb...the guy has been awful as a pro but Reid must see something he likes there and in practice etc.

CofR
01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d97649/article/report-bucs-pick-up-oneyear-option-on-gm-dominik?module=HP_headlines

The Bucs have also exercised the one year option on GM Mark Dominik... Another no-brainer decision... He made some great moves this past year picking up Mike Williams in the third round and signing Blount.

rubecube
01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I think Colt McCoy may already a better QB than Kolb and certainly should get better with some experience.

Not sure why the Browns would be looking at Kolb...the guy has been awful as a pro but Reid must see something he likes there and in practice etc.

I think awful is a bit of an exaggeration. He's had three really good games as a starter and three really crappy games. And, to be fair, he played one of those crappy games against a good Packers defense, and the other against Dallas when he was playing with backups.

My main knock on him is his poor arm strength, but I think he can be a servicable player in the NFL. I'd be interested to see how he performs behind a better offensive line before jumping to conclusions.

Matt Schaub garnered two second round picks when Atlanta traded him to Houston, and he'd only really had one decent start in his career at that point. Young QBs always seem to get traded for more than their worth. Christ, the Eagles once landed a second round pick for AJ Feely. Kolb's contract is also pretty attractive and their are enough teams looking for QB help this year that someone is bound to overpay for him.

transplant99
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I think awful is a bit of an exaggeration. He's had three really good games as a starter and three really crappy games. And, to be fair, he played one of those crappy games against a good Packers defense, and the other against Dallas when he was playing with backups.

He has been in the league 4 years now and should be a lot better than he is. If awful is to strong, then I will go with not very good.

I just dont see what it is that all the hype was about...but obviously Reid sees something he likes. Im juts not sure how many other GM's/personel guys agree with him.

Wise Gamble
01-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Vince Young to San Fran hope it happens

Montana Moe
01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
What would Harbaugh want with Vince Young? Doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

Flickered Flame
01-10-2011, 09:51 PM
The Fins have permission from the Chargers to interview Rob Chudzinski for their OC.

(http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/rob-chudzinski/294c0dd4-fb00-48e2-8209-13a87f96a7bc)

CofR
01-11-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d9d583/article/panthers-turning-to-chargers-dc-rivera-as-their-next-coach?module=breaking_news

Its official, Rivera is in for the Carolina HC position.

Erick Estrada
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM

I think VY is a great talent but after seeing the whole Russell thing play out in Oakland I would be weary of a guy that doesn't like to study, work hard, is pretty soft mentally, and divides locker rooms. Maybe Harbaugh thinks he could be the guy to get through to Vince but it's a bit of a risk to begin your professional head coaching career hitched to a QB that has as many issues as VY.

Bobblehead
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Vince Young to San Fran hope it happens

Can't see it happening. Hope it doesn't happen. The GM, Trent Baalke, has said they are looking for a QB in the draft, and it may not even be 1st round.

And maybe Reid isn't as big a fan of Kolb as he is saying? You don't sell a car by telling prospective buyers that it is a POS.

transplant99
01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d9d583/article/panthers-turning-to-chargers-dc-rivera-as-their-next-coach?module=breaking_news

Its official, Rivera is in for the Carolina HC position.

11.2 million for 4 years...that is pretty cheap if he works out. Compare that to Harbaugh who hasnt an second of NFL coaching experience signing for 25 million over 5.

transplant99
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Can't see it happening. Hope it doesn't happen. The GM, Trent Baalke, has said they are looking for a QB in the draft, and it may not even be 1st round.

And maybe Reid isn't as big a fan of Kolb as he is saying? You don't sell a car by telling prospective buyers that it is a POS.

i would agree with you except for the fact that he dealt Donovan McNab away and turned the club over to Kolb less than a year ago.

That may have changed over the course of this year, but i doubt it. If Kolb wasn't injured week 1 and then Vick goes berserk afterwards, he likely would have still been Reids guy.

mykalberta
01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
11.2 million for 4 years...that is pretty cheap if he works out. Compare that to Harbaugh who hasnt an second of NFL coaching experience signing for 25 million over 5.

Rumor from Mike Lombardi is that Carolina is looking to cheap out in every way possible while they rebuild.

Sainters7
01-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Saints DC Gregg Williams officially withdraws name from Broncos HC search, and will stay in New Orleans next season. He originally was tentatively scheduled for an interview tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

One of the reasons he sites for declining was he felt weird about addressing players about unfinished business during exit interviews when his own job status was up in the air. Also doesn't want to leave after such a tough finish.

Bobblehead
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Saints DC Gregg Williams officially withdraws name from Broncos HC search, he originally was tentatively scheduled for an interview tomorrow night or Thursday morning.Second guy to bow out of the process, is there an issue in Denver?

d_phaneuf
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Second guy to bow out of the process, is there an issue in Denver?

I would guess that the Denver job comes with the caveat of believing in Tim Tebow, which could potentially be a problem

Papi34
01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Saints DC Gregg Williams officially withdraws name from Broncos HC search, and will stay in New Orleans next season. He originally was tentatively scheduled for an interview tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

One of the reasons he sites for declining was he felt weird about addressing players about unfinished business during exit interviews when his own job status was up in the air. Also doesn't want to leave after such a tough finish.
Lucky for you guys. He's the best DC in the league maybe dick lebau

Displaced Flames fan
01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I would guess that the Denver job comes with the caveat of believing in Tim Tebow, which could potentially be a problem

I doubt like hell Gregg Williams even has an opinion on Tim Tebow.

transplant99
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I really think that John Fox ends up the HC in Denver. Elway has flat out stated he wants someone with HC experience and there are worse situations than having to work with Tebow. I mean the poor guy just came off a season where he had Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen and some guy that had thrown 5 passes in 8 seasons kicking around the league.

Displaced Flames fan
01-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, I don't have much experience being the fan of a team with the #2 overall pick, but it seems like an easy seat to sit in.

I can't find anything wrong with the Broncos taking Nick Fairley or Prince Amukamara at that spot.

What has me intrigued is that second pick in round 2. I'd love to see Jake Locker there, but I've got to think he's a first rounder with the lack of top end QB's in this draft.

Flames in 07
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
I doubt like hell Gregg Williams even has an opinion on Tim Tebow.

i'd guess a prospective HC would definitely have an opinion on the starting quarterback.

I like the Broncos but am grimacing when i watch their decisions over the last year or so. I read that Mularkey pulled out because he don't like 'reality shows' likely referring to elway tweeting about hc interviews.

I hope I'm wrong but I think they will gather some experience picking this early for the next few years.

CofR
01-12-2011, 06:03 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2011/01/11/sp-bisaccia.html

Chargers have hired Rich Bisaccia as Special Teams coordinator. Good hire by the Chargers. Dwayne Stukes has been promoted to the role for the Bucs, and I'm looking forward to his work. he has been Bisaccia's assistant for the past two seasons and has worked as the DB's coach as well.

OILFAN #81
01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Browns are reportedly going to name Rams OC Shurmur as their next head coach.

Sainters7
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
John Fox wasn't unemployed for long. New HC of Denver Broncos, as per NFL.com (no story yet, just in Breaking News section)

CofR
01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
John Fox wasn't unemployed for long. New HC of Denver Broncos, as per NFL.com (no story yet, just in Breaking News section)

Here is the story on it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81da89ea/article/elway-announces-expanther-fox-will-be-broncos-new-coach

burn_baby_burn
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Its all over the place now.

http://news.google.ca/news/more?q=john+fox+denver+broncos&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&ncl=d1ryqKp2mM9HS4M0sSnZIPeYPKWjM&ei=i3YvTanlK4P_8AbV9tH4CQ&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQqgIwAA

Displaced Flames fan
01-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Ugh.

Hard to argue with Fox as the selection.

I can't remember when the Broncos last had a BAD offense. Since the day Al Wilson got hurt, the defense has been awful most of the time. Logic says go with a defensive guy like Fox.

That said, I do not like conservative offense and I hope that with Carolina it was simply a function of never having much more than Steve Smith as a target in the passing game.

What am I worrying about though....we don't even know if we have a QB yet.

ResAlien
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
FANTASTIC! Great hire. Get the guy who coached the only team worse than the Broncos in the league! Sweeeeeet.

OILFAN #81
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Heisman winner Cam Newton is entering the NFL Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=349283

rubecube
01-13-2011, 07:38 PM
FANTASTIC! Great hire. Get the guy who coached the only team worse than the Broncos in the league! Sweeeeeet.

Not really his fault that Carolina's owners are cheapskates. Dude almost won the Super Bowl with this craptastic roster:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2003_roster.htm

ResAlien
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Not really his fault that Carolina's owners are cheapskates. Dude almost won the Super Bowl with this craptastic roster:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2003_roster.htm
Don't try and change my mind with my facts and this "logic" stuff. I hates him!

rubecube
01-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Don't try and change my mind with my facts and this "logic" stuff. I hates him!

I was actually kind of hoping he wouldn't get a HC job and the Eagles could pick him up as defensive coordinator and fire the useless ginger.

moon
01-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Heisman winner Cam Newton is entering the NFL Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=349283

Surprised he is willing to take the pay cut.

Thank god the Lions already have Matthew Stafford.

FlamingLonghorn
01-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Surprised he is willing to take the pay cut.

Thank god the Lions already have Matthew Stafford.

How much confidence do you have in Stafford? I like him but in his first 2 years he has missed significant time. If I am a Detroit fan I am a bit worried about it.

moon
01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
How much confidence do you have in Stafford? I like him but in his first 2 years he has missed significant time. If I am a Detroit fan I am a bit worried about it.

Confident in his ability but scared to death of his shoulders.

If he can stay healthy, which is a big if, I think he has the ability to be very good.

mykalberta
01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I am really not liking the start of this new era in Denver with Elway at the helm.

Just because you could at one point throw the ball doesnt mean you should be given the reigns to an NFL team.

Joborule
01-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Not to sure about picking up Fox to be a Head Coach. Pretty neutral on the decision.

Erick Estrada
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Not to sure about picking up Fox to be a Head Coach. Pretty neutral on the decision.

He's kind of like the Jacques Lemaire of the NFL. They won't be flashy or creative but he will have the boys plaing hard every Sunday and they will be competitive and even very good at times. I just can't get over that after their Superbowl run they have been really average as his overall record with them indicates. People will say that the owner handicapped him but Fox was the one that endorsed the ridiculous Delhomme extension when it was evident that he was trending downward. That's how conservative he is. Stick with what you know even if you know it's not as good. Sould be better than McDaniels though for sure.

Flickered Flame
01-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Not sure anyone has posted it but the Fins are interviewing Brad Childress for their OC tomorrow. Lots of reports are already saying Childress is the front runner and if in fact he does get the job that the Fins will be looking at McNabb or Kolb for QB next year because of their familiarity with the west coast offence.

ResAlien
01-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Seeing reports that McDaniels will be the Rams next OC. Good call, he's a hell of an offensive coordinator.

rubecube
01-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Well the first part of my offseason wishlist has come true. Eagles fire Sean McDermott.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6025347

browna
01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
...because of their familiarity with the west coast offence.
Here's another that could be available...
http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/matthazzhead.jpg

rubecube
01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
So apparently the Dick Jauron, Jim Mora, and Billy Davis are some of the names being tossed around for the Eagles' vacant defensive coordinator position. Colour me unimpressed.

Erick Estrada
01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
So apparently the Dick Jauron, Jim Mora, and Billy Davis are some of the names being tossed around for the Eagles' vacant defensive coordinator position. Colour me unimpressed.

Dave Wannstedt's available as well.

rubecube
01-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Dave Wannstedt's available as well.

Isn't Wannstedt a 3-4 guy?

Erick Estrada
01-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Isn't Wannstedt a 3-4 guy?

I think he prefers the 4-3.

Sylvanfan
01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Given the amount of passing in the game today, and time that teams spend in nickle packages (something like 52% of downs in the NFL teams are in a nickle or sub package of some type), I don't know if the base defence matters as much as it used to. There are a lot of 3-4 teams who do 4-3 looks and vice versa. A good co-ordinator will figure out how to use the personell he has.

rubecube
01-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Given the amount of passing in the game today, and time that teams spend in nickle packages (something like 52% of downs in the NFL teams are in a nickle or sub package of some type), I don't know if the base defence matters as much as it used to. There are a lot of 3-4 teams who do 4-3 looks and vice versa. A good co-ordinator will figure out how to use the personell he has.

Yeah, the Eagles have generally used a 46 defense over the past few years. The only reason I don't want to see a dramatic scheme change is because they spend nine draft picks on defensive players last April, and I'm assuming they drafted those players to play in the current scheme.

OILFAN #81
01-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Rob Ryan (Rex's brother) was named defensive coordinator for the Cowboys. He was the defensive coordinator in Cleveland the last 2 years.

Erick Estrada
01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Rob Ryan (Rex's brother) was named defensive coordinator for the Cowboys. He was the defensive coordinator in Cleveland the last 2 years.

This makes me happy with the rumors that he may be coming to Oakland. I like him as he has the brash Ryan traits but he's not the gifted brother. His prevent-to-win defense cost the Raiders more than a few times.

OILFAN #81
01-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Favre filed his retirement papers on Monday:

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=349839

burn_baby_burn
01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Favre filed his retirement papers on Monday:

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=349839

I think its finally over. His body just can't take the beating anymore. He had one hell of a career though. It was a treat to watch him over the years.

Flickered Flame
01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Looks like the Fins are going to hire Brian Daboll as their new OC. Is he going to be much of an upgrade on Henning?

Displaced Flames fan
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Sean McDermott is the new DC in Carolina.

rubecube
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Sean McDermott is the new DC in Carolina.

I'm surprised he found another coordinator position so quickly. I thought he'd at least have to revert to a position coach somewhere first. There's a lot more stuff coming out of Philly, like the fact that a few of the defensive starters have wanted him fired for a while (including Trent Cole) and that his gameplanning had become so poor that Andy Reid was spending a considerable amount of time coaching the defense in practice.

OILFAN #81
01-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Raiders name their new head coach: Hue Jackson who was the offensive coordinator for the team last year.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=349900

Sylvanfan
01-17-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm surprised he found another coordinator position so quickly. I thought he'd at least have to revert to a position coach somewhere first. There's a lot more stuff coming out of Philly, like the fact that a few of the defensive starters have wanted him fired for a while (including Trent Cole) and that his gameplanning had become so poor that Andy Reid was spending a considerable amount of time coaching the defense in practice.

Didn't Rivera used to be a defensive coach of some type with the Eagles before he ended up in San Diego? So there's a familiarity between the two guys. Plus he's probably costing the Panthers nothing as Philly is still paying him what's owed on his contract. I think Richardson has been pretty vocal about thinking there will not be a CBA in place for next season, so he's probably cheaping out as much as possible thinking there will be no season.

Bobblehead
01-18-2011, 08:33 AM
The Owners and the NFLPA haven't sat down and spoken since late November. March 4 is the expected beginning of the lockout.

burn_baby_burn
01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
The Owners and the NFLPA haven't sat down and spoken since late November. March 4 is the expected beginning of the lockout.

This is my worst fear. Just when it looks like the Chiefs might be turning the corner.

rubecube
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/24406/have-the-cowboys-soured-on-dez-bryant

Former Dallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) wide receiver Patrick Crayton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5741) was never shy about speaking his mind. And last week, the Chargers receiver popped on "The Ben & Skin Show" on to 103.3 ESPN Radio to talk about a variety of topics, including the work (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4677251/should-the-cowboys-trade-dez-bryant) of rookie Dez Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13215).

"They let him get away with a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff," Crayton said of Bryant. "Hopefully whoever they bring in as receivers coach, and they say [Jason] Garrett is a disciplinarian, won't let him get away with so much stuff. He'll get locked down and hopefully be the next Michael Irvin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=23)."

Crayton's not a fan of Garrett's, as you might have gathered from that little jab. But it's interesting what he said about Bryant, who was reportedly late to several meetings during the season and didn't exactly commit the playbook to memory. Former Cowboys scout Bryan Broaddus, who now works for 103.3, recently wondered aloud (on the air) whether Dallas might listen to trade offers for Bryant. ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins posed that question to someone in the Cowboys' front office.

"I would think about it," said the source.

Oh, Dallas. How your troubles make me smile. That team has enough talent to be pretty good, but I think the culture inside the locker room is still a mess.

rubecube
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM

I don't know why the owners are pursuing the 18-game schedule so feverishly. It sounds like the PA is willing to give on rookie salaries, but the 18-game schedule is a non-starter. I thought the last two weeks of this season were pretty watered down. I don't understand the need to add two more games and risk more injuries.

Bobblehead
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't know why the owners are pursuing the 18-game schedule so feverishly. It sounds like the PA is willing to give on rookie salaries, but the 18-game schedule is a non-starter. I thought the last two weeks of this season were pretty watered down. I don't understand the need to add two more games and risk more injuries.

I think they are getting the message that fans don't care to pay for 4 pre-season games. But the owners don't want to give up that revenue so they are proposing 2 pre-season 18 regular season.

The players have a website set up to try and lay out their side: http://nfllockout.com/

browna
01-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Jeremy Bates out as OC in Seattle.

Very surprising. Handpicked by Carroll to begin with. Between him and Carroll, were able to get Hasslebeck to buy into their way of doing things, something Hasslebeck didn't do for the previous coach, or the last year of Holmgren before Mora.

Nothing spectacular all year. No running game even with 2 ok players back there, although without Williams (who was a complete unknown after being out for 2 years, turned into a great story) they would've been worse.

But, scripted the Week 17 game perfectly for Whitehurst to get into the playoffs, then a very solid game plan vs the Saints.

Saw him and Caroll high fiving on the field a few times in the playoffs.

That said, Carroll I am sure learned alot in the past calender year (270+ roster transactions) about his team, and about the NFL and what the team needs to do to get to the next level these days.

I guess Carroll figured Bates wasn't going to be the guy to take it to the next level, or, there's someone he's ready to bring in that he's more confident in, to tear down, and rebuild the Seattle offense longer term.

The Seattle offense has been suffocated by not having a leader at QB, and maybe this is the end of Hasslebeck too...actually it most likely is. One good playoff game, a decent overall season, doesn't make up for the fact that long term, he's not the answer as a leader, as he hasn't been "the guy" since Superbowl XL as injuries and age have started to slow his physical skills, which were always at a higher level then his mental, leadership and decision making skills as a QB. Could've seen him come back as a mentor, but not given this move today.

Still, a surprise given it was Carroll's hire, and very interesting to see where this goes for an OC, and a QB.

Edit: Didn't take long (these things usually don't). SEA supposedly talking with McDaniels as OC.

Bobblehead
01-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Did Hasslebeck destroy your family or something? You sure do have a hate on for him.

Wise Gamble
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
breaking news: tom cable to seahawks as assistant coach
josh mcdaniels to rams as OC

browna
01-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Did Hasslebeck destroy your family or something? You sure do have a hate on for him.

Nope, he's just been overrated and held back the Seahawks for past few years. Ever since he asked Holmgren for a 5 minute break each time Holmgren wanted to yell at him for a dumb play a few years back, its clear he's not got the leadership needed to either rally a team or be a mentor to a younger team or younger QB. Rezlly, how can you call yourself a leader if you can't take criticism for deviating from the coaches plan? Didn't follow coaches orders or game plans until this year. Injuries hurt him the last few but also gave him some excuses.

Unlucky not to have won the Superbowl as he was in his peak and surrounded by good players, when rushing was still a big factor in the league. Solid arm and physical ability but not enough intangibles to be a QB to lead a team that needed a leader the last few years, instead, did his own thing and looked brutal.

McDaniels supposedly is going to ST L now. Sure hope Bates wasn't fired with assumption McDaniels was sure thing. Seems the Rams stepped up $ after stalling last few days when it looked like a division rival wanted him.

browna
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Good hire in Cable for the O-line. Gibbs left the team high and dry when he left near the end of training camp, and then so much for the zone blocking scheme Carroll had hired him to implement, and the line struggled all year.

One of the highlights of year was watching Seymour knock some sense into trash talking Rothlesberger, and Cable's reaction when the ref came to explain the ejection.

Of course Davis has slammed Cable as he's leaving, and, has already withled $120K in pay over the year.

1/2 for former AFC west coaches; indications that McDaniels did "snub" Seattle in some form. Not sure why yet, as mentioned, St. Louis talked to him on the weekend and only now after talking to Seattle last few days, including this morning, he went back to St. Louis. Using SEA to get more money from the Rams? Not liking having to work with Cable? Maybe just changed his mind after further thought?

Whichever, but the timing points to Carroll thinking they had a guy in mind and they thought possibly in hand, before going ahead and firing Bates this morning.

flames_1987
01-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Great to see Tom Cable get a job quickly after his work in Oakland.

PeteLFan
01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Good hire in Cable for the O-line. Gibbs left the team high and dry when he left near the end of training camp, and then so much for the zone blocking scheme Carroll had hired him to implement, and the line struggled all year.

One of the highlights of year was watching Seymour knock some sense into trash talking Rothlesberger, and Cable's reaction when the ref came to explain the ejection.

Of course Davis has slammed Cable as he's leaving, and, has already withled $120K in pay over the year.

1/2 for former AFC west coaches; indications that McDaniels did "snub" Seattle in some form. Not sure why yet, as mentioned, St. Louis talked to him on the weekend and only now after talking to Seattle last few days, including this morning, he went back to St. Louis. Using SEA to get more money from the Rams? Not liking having to work with Cable? Maybe just changed his mind after further thought?

Whichever, but the timing points to Carroll thinking they had a guy in mind and they thought possibly in hand, before going ahead and firing Bates this morning.

Or the fact he gets to work with a team on the upswing with better coaching staff, and a guy named Sam Bradford. This was it Seattle for the foreseeable future, now that Bradford has arrived its the Rams time to shine once again.

Displaced Flames fan
01-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Agree 100% with this.

Displaced Flames fan
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Edit: Didn't take long (these things usually don't). SEA supposedly talking with McDaniels as OC.

Geez, Bates must really be getting sick of that guy.:D

Erick Estrada
01-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Great to see Tom Cable get a job quickly after his work in Oakland.

His work in Oakland was mostly pretty poor actually. This years successes were all because of Hue Jackson. Previous season Cable was calling the plays and the Raiders were 30th in offense. The only changes this year was Jason Campbell and Hue Jackson and they turned into one of the most explosive offenses in the league (6th in scoring) and it wasn't because of Jason Campbell it was because of Hue Jackson. The weakest part of the Raiders this year was the OL and that's Cable's specialty. I like Cable despite the ongoing lawsuits from former women in his life. He seems like a guy you could sit and have a beer with and talk football but he's not HC material.

rubecube
01-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Eagles are on the verge of hiring Titans defensive line coach, Jim Washburn, for the same position in Philly. Could be a huge step in the right direction

d_phaneuf
01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Love Hue, very excited for him to take over as HC and happy to see he is going to keep doing the play calling

good press conference from Al Davis today as well

browna
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Or the fact he gets to work with a team on the upswing with better coaching staff, and a guy named Sam Bradford. This was it Seattle for the foreseeable future, now that Bradford has arrived its the Rams time to shine once again.
Maybe, or he wanted more control then SEA was willing to give him.

Yeah, Bradford is there, but it now means Sam has to learn a completely new offensive scheme then the previous coach had in place, in his sophomore year.

OILFAN #81
01-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Colts are starting negotiations with Peyton Manning on a new deal, and also to re-work the contract of Bob Sanders. Manning's deal is a no brainer, and I am happy that Sanders' agent understands that his client should do a new deal since he hardly plays. Manning and Sanders share the same agent. Indy also fired their running backs coach today.

Sylvanfan
01-19-2011, 07:57 AM
His work in Oakland was mostly pretty poor actually. This years successes were all because of Hue Jackson. Previous season Cable was calling the plays and the Raiders were 30th in offense. The only changes this year was Jason Campbell and Hue Jackson and they turned into one of the most explosive offenses in the league (6th in scoring) and it wasn't because of Jason Campbell it was because of Hue Jackson. The weakest part of the Raiders this year was the OL and that's Cable's specialty. I like Cable despite the ongoing lawsuits from former women in his life. He seems like a guy you could sit and have a beer with and talk football but he's not HC material.

Actually...I think it was because they didn't have to use Jamarcus Russel at QB as a request of the owner.

I hate the Raiders, but they do have some talent, whenever they could put someone else at QB in 2009 they'd start showing life. The fact that he wasn't around all year in my opinion is the biggest reason they were a better team. I wish they'd try to bring him back.

burn_baby_burn
01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Actually...I think it was because they didn't have to use Jamarcus Russel at QB as a request of the owner.

I hate the Raiders, but they do have some talent, whenever they could put someone else at QB in 2009 they'd start showing life. The fact that he wasn't around all year in my opinion is the biggest reason they were a better team. I wish they'd try to bring him back.

Maybe Denver will give him a shot.

transplant99
01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Love Hue, very excited for him to take over as HC and happy to see he is going to keep doing the play calling

good press conference from Al Davis today as well

really?

I thought he looked like he had walked right off the set of The Living Dead and into the press room.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab268/transplant99/davis2.jpg

And this writer thought the whole thing was bizzare.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_17130079

And the worst part for Raider fans IMO?

He said there is no need to hire a general manager to help him and his personnel department, especially with the league's uncertainty regarding the stalled labor talks over a new collective bargaining agreement.

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Russel was a bit of a scapegoat IMO and didn't even start all the games in 2009. Was he bad? Yes. Was the playcalling equally as bad? Yes. was the O-Line under Cable historically bad? Yes. Also Cable loved Grads which was a bad call and likely cost the Raiders the playoffs this year. Cable made him the starter and he was horrible losing all three of his starts. That as much as anything cost Cable his job.

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
really?

I thought he looked like he had walked right off the set of The Living Dead and into the press room.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab268/transplant99/davis2.jpg

And this writer thought the whole thing was bizzare.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_17130079

And the worst part for Raider fans IMO?

Considering his age it's quite remarkable how sharp he is. There's no doubt his inability to let go and seek out help to run the franchise or listen to others has really hurt the team but he's still pretty sharp as evidenced by last years draft which may have been the best by any team. Raiders fans realize that things are not truly going to get better until he goes but we are a pretty loyal buch so until that happens we just accept the bizarre and move on.

transplant99
01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Considering his age it's quite remarkable how sharp he is. There's no doubt his inability to let go and seek out help to run the franchise or listen to others has really hurt the team but he's still pretty sharp as evidenced by last years draft which may have been the best by any team. Raiders fans realize that things are not truly going to get better until he goes but we are a pretty loyal buch so until that happens we just accept the bizarre and move on.

how does one make this claim? I mean it all sort of has to play out over a few years to have any idea who had the best draft, but based on this season alone I would say that is more than a stretch.

Just as an example, because i am familiar with them, the Packers had 6 of their 7 picks from the 2010 draft start games. Granted it was mainly due to injury, but they more than adequately filled in and in some cases will be starting this weekend in the NFC championship. Thats a good draft no matter how you look at it, but even i cant say its among the best in the league because i have no idea how other teams players did.

One other team I would add to that list is the Patriots...I think they too had 6 guys from the draft start games this year and contribute massively. McCourty, the two TE's, and Brandon Spikes all come to mind.

d_phaneuf
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
how does one make this claim? I mean it all sort of has to play out over a few years to have any idea who had the best draft, but based on this season alone I would say that is more than a stretch.

Just as an example, because i am familiar with them, the Packers had 6 of their 7 picks from the 2010 draft start games. Granted it was mainly due to injury, but they more than adequately filled in and in some cases will be starting this weekend in the NFC championship. Thats a good draft no matter how you look at it, but even i cant say its among the best in the league because i have no idea how other teams players did.

One other team I would add to that list is the Patriots...I think they too had 6 guys from the draft start games this year and contribute massively. McCourty, the two TE's, and Brandon Spikes all come to mind.

in terms of starters I think they had the best return

McClain started I think 15 games, he missed 1 with injury
Houston played in every game (hard to say he started because they rotated 7 guys usually on the d line, and he was in the rotation from game 1)
Veldheer started the last half of the season at LT and was great
Bruce Campbell (who was a project pick and not expected to do much) started 4 games I think and played in 10
Jacoby Ford went Beast Mode in the 2nd half of the season
Walter McFadden played a bit in dime formations

that's probly the best return I think in terms of a draft class so far all around

especially when you had two guys in Veldheer and McClain playing 2 of the most important positions on the field (LT and MLB) very well, and they look like they are going to lock those positions down for awhile

Davis gets ripped on his drafting because of Russell (although he was the consensus pick) and DHB (who isn't looking great, but look at what McFadden did in year 3, next year will be huge for DHB)

but he has had some very solid picks, Miller in the 2nd round, Asomugha at the end of the 1st (called a reach by everyone), Murphy and Ford in the 4th etc.

and the Seymour trade everyone ripped looks like a great deal now

d_phaneuf
01-19-2011, 11:34 AM
In terms of the AFC West I think it's shaping up to be an Oakland/KC battle for the next few years

SD is always going to be in there as long as Rivers is upright but the rest of the team is getting old or they are losing guys

Denver is the bottom feeder right now, and I think their future rests heavily on Tebow, if he is good they are probly right back up there in 1-2 years, if he falters it could be longer

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Yes there are other teams that had decent drafts but as of now no team did better than Oakland. Mel Kiper revisited the 2010 draft and did a re-draft and in it Rolando McClain, Lamarr Houston, and Jacoby Ford would have been all first rounders and that doesn't count Jared Valdheer which is amazing. These guys were all starters, not injury fill-ins.

rubecube
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes there are other teams that had decent drafts but as of now no team did better than Oakland. Mel Kiper revisited the 2010 draft and did a re-draft and in it Rolando McClain, Lamarr Houston, and Jacoby Ford would have been all first rounders and that doesn't count Jared Valdheer which is amazing. These guys were all starters, not injury fill-ins.

So Oakland has one decent draft amongst severaly years of terrible drafting, and suddenly Davis is "sharp?"

transplant99
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
in terms of starters I think they had the best return

McClain started I think 15 games, he missed 1 with injury
Houston played in every game (hard to say he started because they rotated 7 guys usually on the d line, and he was in the rotation from game 1)
Veldheer started the last half of the season at LT and was great
Bruce Campbell (who was a project pick and not expected to do much) started 4 games I think and played in 10
Jacoby Ford went Beast Mode in the 2nd half of the season
Walter McFadden played a bit in dime formations

that's probly the best return I think in terms of a draft class so far all around

especially when you had two guys in Veldheer and McClain playing 2 of the most important positions on the field (LT and MLB) very well, and they look like they are going to lock those positions down for awhile

Davis gets ripped on his drafting because of Russell (although he was the consensus pick) and DHB (who isn't looking great, but look at what McFadden did in year 3, next year will be huge for DHB)

but he has had some very solid picks, Miller in the 2nd round, Asomugha at the end of the 1st (called a reach by everyone), Murphy and Ford in the 4th etc.

and the Seymour trade everyone ripped looks like a great deal now

Again I can name two teams who had similar success this season with guys from the most recent draft.

Im not saying the raiders had a bad draft, only that it is impossible to say they had the best...because that remains to be seen. I would suspect there are more than a few clubs that feel they did well.

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
So Oakland has one decent draft amongst severaly years of terrible drafting, and suddenly Davis is "sharp?"

He's had his share of poor drafts for sure I'm not defending that but smart people sometimes make bad decisions. Take Darryl Sutter for example. Really smart hockey man but he made some poor moves at the end of his tenure. Doesn't mean he's not a sharp guy. In a way Darryl Sutter and Al Davis are two of a kind. Very astute in their particular sports but their stubborness and close minded approach puts them behind more progressive managers.

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Again I can name two teams who had similar success this season with guys from the most recent draft.

Im not saying the raiders had a bad draft, only that it is impossible to say they had the best...because that remains to be seen. I would suspect there are more than a few clubs that feel they did well.

Okay can we agree they have had the best return so far? If not please start naming teams player by player that performed better this year.

Sylvanfan
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I think it's unquantifiable to say who had the best draft. Say Sam Bradford goes on to be the Rams QB for the next 15 years, wins 3 Superbowls, and Rodger Saffold is the starting left tackle for every one of those seasons....The Rams had the best draft type of thing.

Raiders had a good draft though...and actually cultivated some of their talent this past year.

Bobblehead
01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Every player the 49ers drafted is still on the roster and played in at least 4 games, with the 2 1st rounders starting every game.

Way too early to tell who "won" last year's draft.

FlamingLonghorn
01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Jets got Antonio Cromartie and Santonio Holmes in their draft.

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I think it's unquantifiable to say who had the best draft. Say Sam Bradford goes on to be the Rams QB for the next 15 years, wins 3 Superbowls, and Rodger Saffold is the starting left tackle for every one of those seasons....The Rams had the best draft type of thing.

Raiders had a good draft though...and actually cultivated some of their talent this past year.

Really if the team with the first pick does their homework properly they should always win the draft because they get the best player. There's no doubt that Bradford was the highest impact rookie and could go down as the best player in the draft when all is said and done. However 31 teams didn't get the opportunity to draft him so you can't hold it against them. The NFL draft is all about filling holes in your roster and if you want to grade it round by round you are likely going to have a team that fared better overall.

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Every player the 49ers drafted is still on the roster and played in at least 4 games, with the 2 1st rounders starting every game.

Way too early to tell who "won" last year's draft.

I agree but this argument started by someone objecting to my statement;

There's no doubt his inability to let go and seek out help to run the franchise or listen to others has really hurt the team but he's still pretty sharp as evidenced by last years draft which may have been the best by any team.

Notice how I never said they 'won'. I just said they may have had the best draft.;)

Erick Estrada
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Jets got Antonio Cromartie and Santonio Holmes in their draft.

Can't wait until Sunday so we won't have to hear from you until next offseason.;)

Bobblehead
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Notice how I never said they 'won'. I just said they may have had the best draft.;)

It doesn't matter if you call it cow patties, it is still BS.

transplant99
01-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Okay can we agree they have had the best return so far? If not please start naming teams player by player that performed better this year.

The Packers drafted 7 players this past April.

1st Rd Bryan Bulaga played in all 16 games started 13 of those.
2nd rd Mike Neal played in the first 2 games before going on IR
3rd rd Morgan Burnett started first 4 games before going on IR.
4th rd Andrew Quarless started 3 games played in 13.
5th rd Marshall newhouse didnt make the team
6th rd James Starks was on PUP list for first 10 games. has started 3 games since coming off that and 2 more in the PO where he is the leading rusher of all playoff teams.
7th rd CJ Wilson has played in 15 games starting 2 of them

So how does that not rate right there with the raiders?

Hell look at the Patriots...their most recent draft class had guys play 100 games this season.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:ne

FlamingLonghorn
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Can't wait until Sunday so we won't have to hear from you until next offseason.;)

I was actually joking, Cromartie didn't even cost us a pick in the last draft, its this upcoming one. I'll still be here if/when the Jets lose.

FlamingLonghorn
01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Funny Elvis Grbac story

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/6/25/924614/the-best-elvis-grbac-story-youll

d_phaneuf
01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
The Packers drafted 7 players this past April.

1st Rd Bryan Bulaga played in all 16 games started 13 of those.
2nd rd Mike Neal played in the first 2 games before going on IR
3rd rd Morgan Burnett started first 4 games before going on IR.
4th rd Andrew Quarless started 3 games played in 13.
5th rd Marshall newhouse didnt make the team
6th rd James Starks was on PUP list for first 10 games. has started 3 games since coming off that and 2 more in the PO where he is the leading rusher of all playoff teams.
7th rd CJ Wilson has played in 15 games starting 2 of them

So how does that not rate right there with the raiders?

Hell look at the Patriots...their most recent draft class had guys play 100 games this season.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:ne

I think it does

I just thought the Raiders had the best in terms of starters, in terms of impacts and who had the best draft, those can't be answered for probably 4-5 years

but right now I think Raiders/Packers/Pats/Rams are the early front runners

Sylvanfan
01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I think if you look into it, many teams had a good draft this past year.

The Chiefs who no one has mentioned drafted

Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Tony Moeki
Jon Asamoah
Kendrick Lewis

who all played varying roles with the team. It was a deep draft with a lot of underclassman opting in last year and there were a lot of good rookies in the leauge this past season.

ResAlien
01-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Trying to argue with Raider fans is like arguing with Canuck fans. They have no sense of reality and will fight you to the death. At best it's a pyrrhic victory.

Sylvanfan
01-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Trying to argue with Raider fans is like arguing with Canuck fans. They have no sense of reality and will fight you to the death. At best it's a pyrrhic victory.

I was thinking that trying to talk logic with Raider fans was like trying to talk economics with staunch NDP supporters.

transplant99
01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
actually the more I look at it, and I certainly haven't looked at all the teams, it appears that the Patriots draft is one for the ages.

Remarkable that a team who was in a re-build/re-tool season went 14-2 with raw rookies accounting for 100 man games played. Belichick really is a genius.

transplant99
01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Speculation that Haynesworth may be headed to the Eagles.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/36163/haynesworth-headed-to-eagles

FlamingLonghorn
01-20-2011, 09:25 AM
actually the more I look at it, and I certainly haven't looked at all the teams, it appears that the Patriots draft is one for the ages.

Remarkable that a team who was in a re-build/re-tool season went 14-2 with raw rookies accounting for 100 man games played. Belichick really is a genius.

I hate Belichek but he really might be the best ever. Although I would really like him to win something post-Spygate.

Another team that no one has mentioned yet is the Bucs. They had what could be an incredible draft and I also didn't realize how many injuries this team had. Mike Williams, Cody Grimm awesome jobs as late round picks and even more impressive is Blount and Ted Larsen as undrafted FAs were amazing.

habernac
01-20-2011, 12:40 PM

I'm trying to look at the season as a positive, as no one thought they'd play this well. Lots of things to address in the off season obviously, but certainly a lot of positives with this crew.

burn_baby_burn
01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
I think if you look into it, many teams had a good draft this past year.

The Chiefs who no one has mentioned drafted

Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Tony Moeki
Jon Asamoah
Kendrick Lewis

who all played varying roles with the team. It was a deep draft with a lot of underclassman opting in last year and there were a lot of good rookies in the leauge this past season.

As far as the Chiefs were concerned it was a pretty good draft. McCluster is a disapointment. Outside of the monday night game, he didn't really do much and was injured half the time. I wonder if he is just too small to make much of an impact in this league? Anyone who watched the Chiefs vs Ravens playoff game saw that he looked like a little kid compared to Ray Lewis in the play that resulted in a forced fumble.

browna
01-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Bevell goes from MIN to SEA as OC. Not a flashy name, and its tough to judge his body of work the last few years, when it was restricted by the on again off again Favre offseasons, and Favre's physical limitations. Just as long as their is no Comeback III in the cards thanks to this hiring.

With Cable O-line and assistant coach, its shaping up that Cable will be the "running" coach, while Bevell as OC will be focusing on being the "passing" coach.

He was initially going to interview in SEA as QB coach, but given the likely change of plans with McDaniels, and then the hiring of Cable, the position got moved up.

The SEA o line should be better because of Cable and his zone blocking which Carroll wanted last year...which in theory means better running game and pass protection, so will be interesting to see how much Carroll tweaks the current offensive personnel as a result of that. I still believe now is the time to tear down and put the long term pieces in..Hasslebeck has one or two serviceable years as a starting QB in the league, and the future has to be roadmapped.

So, barring Carroll firing the DC (unlikely, Carroll runs the defense unofficially anyway), staff is set, now its to be interesting to see how SEA fills its many gaps through FA and the low draft picks each round. LB, Secondary, D line, and then skilled positions on offense are all glaring holes right now.

transplant99
01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
No idea where Cam Newton ends up but he has his agent. Bus Cook asked Brett Favre to meet with the kid which happened, and now newton and Cook are a tandem.

Pagal4321
01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Let the Favre to Seattle rumors begin.

CofR
01-22-2011, 06:21 AM
The Bucs fired O-Line Coach Peter Mangurian yesterday. There were a lot improvements in their play this season, but they were still under performing IMO. Hopefully a new coach can get some more effective run blocking up front.

Flickered Flame
01-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Ross has extended Fins GM Jeff Ireland's contract.

moon
01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
No idea where Cam Newton ends up but he has his agent. Bus Cook asked Brett Favre to meet with the kid which happened, and now newton and Cook are a tandem.

Does this mean that Newton fired his agent from college or was Buzz handling those payments as well?

transplant99
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Does this mean that Newton fired his agent from college or was Buzz handling those payments as well?

That was his father.

Pagal4321
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Apparently the Vikings have signed Emmanuel Arcenaux.

Erick Estrada
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Carson Palmer reportedly to ask for trade or will retire;
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6051119

There will be more than a few teams interested but he's one of those buyer beware guys as while there have been lots of issues with the Bengals he's been part of the problem as much as anything else as he just hasn't been very good for three years now.

browna
01-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Carson Palmer reportedly to ask for trade or will retire;
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6051119

There will be more than a few teams interested but he's one of those buyer beware guys as while there have been lots of issues with the Bengals he's been part of the problem as much as anything else as he just hasn't been very good for three years now.

I'm guessing Pete Carroll may be interested in his former USC QB. Cincy's problem, and Lewis himself has said this, is that he doesn't know his team's identity himself.
Other then hiring troubled NFL players the last few years, Lewis hasn't done a lot to guide that team out of the medocrity its mired in. Palmer hasn't been great in the past two years after his arm injury, but still has a fair bit of gas in the tank in the right situation.

Flabbibulin
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
nm

Erick Estrada
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Hue Jackson has ties to both Chad Johnson (who speculated this week he would love to play for him again) and Carson Palmer so the media is going to speculated that one of these guys will be a Raider. I sure hope neither do as they both are on the wrong side of their careers.

rubecube
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Ever since his knee injury, Palmer has never really been anything more than a slightly above-average QB.

CofR
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Bucs-Pick-Morris-to-Lead-O-Line/74f58ef2-2e0d-4fc8-ae17-495f7dbb0236

The Buccaneers have hired former Viking coach Pat Morris as the new O-Line Coach.

CaramonLS
01-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Ever since his knee injury, Palmer has never really been anything more than a slightly above-average QB.

Part of the problem is the offensive scheme they are running as well. Probably one of the least creative designs of any offense in the NFL - defenses game plan for it and come right after Palmer.

Bobblehead
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
As a Niner fan, I would take Palmer and then draft a project QB in the mid-rounds of the draft. I could see it being a nice fit for him.

Clever_Iggy
01-24-2011, 08:34 AM
As a Niner fan, I would take Palmer and then draft a project QB in the mid-rounds of the draft. I could see it being a nice fit for him.

IIRC, Palmer's wife is from the Bay Area. Palmer is from Fresno. That makes a lot of sense. The 49ers have a decent offense (I don't buy Crabtree, Morgan and Ginn**... but Vernon Davis is a stud) and Palmer would give Harbaugh one less thing to worry about and would allow him to concentrate on grooming a successor. Plus, the 49ers could probably get Palmer for much cheaper than someone like Kolb.

And I don't even know if the 49ers need to worry about getting a successor in house this year. If the guy they target is available mid rounds, sure, but Palmer played on a horrible team with a horrible defense in a very tough division. In the whimpy NFC West, his schedule would be a cake walk.

Palmer to the 49ers for a 4th rounder and concentrate on drafting defense, WR and a successor to Gore.

Edit: **That said, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Marvin Harrison wouldn't look good with Alex Smith, JT O'Sullivan and the other cast of horrible QBs the 49ers have trotted out since Garcia left.

Bobblehead
01-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Palmer to the 49ers for a 4th rounder and concentrate on drafting defense, WR and a successor to Gore.

The 3 areas of need are QB, CB, OLB. There has been debate about where Harbaugh will decide to get a QB, whether through trade (Josh Johnson from Tampa, who Harbaugh had at SDS has been mentioned) but I'm sure lots of misinformation will come out over the next 6 weeks.

OILFAN #81
01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Bengals have told Carson Palmer that he will NOT be traded:

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=350843

Erick Estrada
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Bengals have told Carson Palmer that he will NOT be traded:

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=350843

Now the fun begins. Will he/won't he report? Will he/won't he retire. That's what keeps the NFL fun year around.

transplant99
01-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Now the fun begins. Will he/won't he report? Will he/won't he retire. That's what keeps the NFL fun year around.

I cant believe he will just walk away from 50 million dollars....which is what is left on his current deal.

Cheese
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
HERSCHEL WALKER WILLING TO TRY FOOTBALL AGAIN AT AGE 48 (http://tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=350890)

Guess he has to find a team dumb enough to give him the shot first....calling Dallas...calling Dallas!

"Because I want to be the George Foreman of football and come back and do that one more time
The former NFL star says there is no doubt in his mind he could play football today. And if asked, he would listen.

rubecube
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
In somewhat funny news, Drew Rosenhaus' twitter account got hacked today and started spamming diet ads.

FlamingLonghorn
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
HERSCHEL WALKER WILLING TO TRY FOOTBALL AGAIN AT AGE 48 (http://tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=350890)

Guess he has to find a team dumb enough to give him the shot first....calling Dallas...calling Dallas!

"Because I want to be the George Foreman of football and come back and do that one more time
The former NFL star says there is no doubt in his mind he could play football today. And if asked, he would listen.

He wasn't that good last time he played. How does he think he will be good now?

burn_baby_burn
01-25-2011, 08:33 AM
He wasn't that good last time he played. How does he think he will be good now?

His appearance on Pros vs Joes. He ran circles around those Joes. So of course in his mind that translates to being a Pro Bowl player in the NFL at the age of 48.

burn_baby_burn
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Tambi Hali of the Kansas City Chiefs was able to lead the AFC in sacks with two torn shoulders.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1652

He pointed to his right shoulder, which he said had a tear in it. Then to his left shoulder, which he said had a partial tear in it, too. Then to a foot, which also had a torn muscle in it.

Displaced Flames fan
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Broncos have hired Saint DB coach Dennis Allen as defensive coordinator.

Sylvanfan
01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Roger Goodal volunteers that he will only_make_$1 (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=351145) if there is a lockout.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will cut his salary to $1 if there is a work stoppage after the collective bargaining agreement expires in March.

In case you want to know he makes about 10 million a year with bonuses, claims he'll also delay any bonus payments until after a new deal is settled.

What he doesn't tell us is how much of a bonus or increase in salary he'll receive if he manages to bend over the players and get an even sweeter deal for the owners.

NFLPA communications director Carl Francis was not impressed by Goodell's memo.
"I have been around long enough to know that this decision is irrelevant to the process," Francis said. "He should also guarantee there won't be a lockout."

Gotta go with the PA guy here, this is nothing more than optics, although it's not like DeMaurice Smith and his crew are guaranteeing no lockout either.

Bobblehead
01-26-2011, 12:33 PM
By definition the players have no control over a lockout. They can strike or not. But the players have said they want things to stay exactly as they are this year - no cap - and want to play. That is why they when through all those decertification votes; to try and portray that is isn't the NFL vs NFLPA, it is the NFL vs a bunch of players. Although that is a sham, it just shows how the rhetoric and the PR war is growing.

rubecube
01-26-2011, 02:35 PM
DeMaurice Smith tweeted that he would cut his wage to $0.68 if a new agreement was reached.

browna
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
DeMaurice Smith tweeted that he would cut his wage to $0.68 if a new agreement was reached....before the Superbowl.
No word on what he would get paid if there wasn't a deal done in the next 10 days

FlamingLonghorn
01-27-2011, 04:15 PM
So Bud Adams chooses Fisher over Young and then Fisher decides to leave.

Bobblehead
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM
So Bud Adams chooses Fisher over Young and then Fisher decides to leave.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/27/titans-jeff-fisher/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

FlamingLonghorn
01-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Hadn't seen this posted. Former Titans/Current Vikings QB coach wouldn't mind VY in in purple next season:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/21/new-vikings-quarterbacks-coach-makes-his-interest-in-vince-young-clear/

I just think it's weird that he gets along with Young and believes in him while his former boss found every opportunity to bench him.

dirk diggler
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
So Cromartie is telling Hasselbeck that he is going to smash his face in after Hasselbeck asked Cromartie via Twitter if he knew what CBA stood for... Cromartie thinks it stands for

C- Condom
B- Broke
A- Again

What a complete fool......
\

FlamingLonghorn
01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
So Cromartie is telling Hasselbeck that he is going to smash his face in after Hasselbeck asked Cromartie via Twitter if he knew what CBA stood for... Cromartie thinks it stands for

C- Condom
B- Broke
A- Again

What a complete fool......
\

I agree that Cromartie responded like an ass, but Hasselbeck should have never posted what he did, or manned up and left it up (he took it down in a matter of minutes). Then he issues an apology to Cromartie and tries to play it off like he was joking. Hasselbeck comes off looking like an ass too.

I am glad Cromartie is calling out both sides. If he is sincere in what he says then he is looking out for the non-players in this who are going to be unemployed and don't have millions to fall back on.

dirk diggler
01-28-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree that Cromartie responded like an ass, but Hasselbeck should have never posted what he did, or manned up and left it up (he took it down in a matter of minutes). Then he issues an apology to Cromartie and tries to play it off like he was joking. Hasselbeck comes off looking like an ass too.

I am glad Cromartie is calling out both sides. If he is sincere in what he says then he is looking out for the non-players in this who are going to be unemployed and don't have millions to fall back on.

as an NFL player, my guess is you dont want Cromartie spouting off whether it is true or no, i dont think he can even read or write, there are well spoken and intelligent NFL players who can get their point across much better than a moron like Cromartie

FlamingLonghorn
01-28-2011, 06:32 PM
as an NFL player, my guess is you dont want Cromartie spouting off whether it is true or no, i dont think he can even read or write, there are well spoken and intelligent NFL players who can get their point across much better than a moron like Cromartie

Obviously you don't get that Cromartie isn't taking the players side. He is stating his opinion that the Union and league aren't doing a good enough job. He's calling out both sides.

Sylvanfan
01-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Cromartie has 9 illegimate children to provide alimony for. He's terrified of the prospect of missing one pay cheque. He doesn't give a rip about anyone here but himself.

dirk diggler
01-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Obviously you don't get that Cromartie isn't taking the players side. He is stating his opinion that the Union and league aren't doing a good enough job. He's calling out both sides.

no i get it, but when possibly the stupidest player in the league spouts off, it serves no purpose...

FlamingLonghorn
01-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Cromartie has 9 illegimate children to provide alimony for. He's terrified of the prospect of missing one pay cheque. He doesn't give a rip about anyone here but himself.

Maybe so. But is he wrong? The players and the owners aren't going to be hurt that badly by a lockout it's the people with the jobs that dont make even six figures that are going to be the only one's really affected. Goodell offers to only be paid $1 if there's a lockout. I'm sure he has enough left over from that $10 mil he made last year to make it through ok. Whether you think Cromartie is dumb or not or what his intentions are, he is right about there being too much money involved for this to be that hard.

browna
01-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I can't see it being too long until pro contracts have some sort of social media clause in it to prevent some of this stuff.

Not saying its right to censor guys that obviously want to speak their mind, but when you're representing a team with your words, it can be detrimental/a distraction at least, to a team, and teams themselves don't want to be dragged into some issue because on their players.

FlamingLonghorn
01-30-2011, 11:37 AM
I can't see it being too long until pro contracts have some sort of social media clause in it to prevent some of this stuff.

Not saying its right to censor guys that obviously want to speak their mind, but when you're representing a team with your words, it can be detrimental/a distraction at least, to a team, and teams themselves don't want to be dragged into some issue because on their players.

Cromartie's a free agent. I guess he's under contract with Jets until a certain date, but I doubt they would have any power in this situation, especially since they want to resign him. Nothing like telling your #2 FA target to shut up so he doesn't want to resign. Also, I think Ryan likes Cromartie's outspokenness.

FlamingLonghorn
01-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Offseason round up:

Akers' daughter had/has cancer (pretty good excuse to not be all there in the playoffs):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6073857

Vick will get franchised:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6073930

Flacco not happy with firing of Zorn:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6072322

Titans to try and trade Young instead of release him (good luck on that one):
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6073922

browna
01-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Cromartie's a free agent. I guess he's under contract with Jets until a certain date, but I doubt they would have any power in this situation, especially since they want to resign him. Nothing like telling your #2 FA target to shut up so he doesn't want to resign. Also, I think Ryan likes Cromartie's outspokenness.

Well, true the Jets under Ryan won't be restricting anything like that..Hard Knocks 2 isn't out yet.
More talking (as its current) about players like Hasslebeck bothering to respond, or the Packers IR players and Rodgers going back and forth about the Superbowl picture.

OILFAN #81
01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
The Probowl is on but I haven't watched it yet. 42-0 NFC in the 2nd quarter. I can see why nobody cares about all-star games.

GirlySports
01-30-2011, 07:29 PM
AFC is making a mini comeback!

Sylvanfan
01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
These QB's are begging for the rules to allow the other teams to blitz and get man coverage somewhere on the field...6 picks by AFC QB's in the game.

Bobblehead
02-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Interesting article by Michael Silver for GQ, talking about concussions and what is being done about it:
Fujita:
Everybody doubts the league's sincerity. Quit pretending to be the flag-bearers for our health care and safety when you're telling us in the next sentence that we need to go to eighteen games. That doesn't cut it. Obviously you don't give a #### about our health and safety. Remember that photo of [Steelers linebacker James] Harrison making a hit on [Browns receiver Mohamed] Massaquoi? They fined him $75,000 for that—and at the same time, they were selling it on NFL.com for $24.99. They kept it there until someone shamed them into taking it down. I was so pissed off by the hypocrisy of it all.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201102/nfl-concussions-players#ixzz1Civzlacd

burn_baby_burn
02-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Interesting article by Michael Silver for GQ, talking about concussions and what is being done about it:

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201102/nfl-concussions-players#ixzz1Civzlacd

If I was in Scott Fujita's shoes I would probably have similiar feelings. However as a fan, I think that players know the dangers of playing football. As a result, they are well compensated financially. If they feel the risks out weigh the rewards? Find another way to make a living.

rubecube
02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
If I was in Scott Fujita's shoes I would probably have similiar feelings. However as a fan, I think that players know the dangers of playing football. As a result, they are well compensated financially. If they feel the risks out weigh the rewards? Find another way to make a living.

That's a pretty silly statement. If you can make the game safer then do it. I don't think he's wrong for pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the owners either.

burn_baby_burn
02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
That's a pretty silly statement. If you can make the game safer then do it. I don't think he's wrong for pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the owners either.

If it was that easy to make the game safer without deminishing the action on the field it would have been done long ago. The NFL is in the business of entertainment. If they reduce it to touch football to make it safe for the players then they stand to lose billions as a result of lost interest.

Yes I agree that the NFL is being hypocritical by saying they want to eliminate hits to defenseless players, while at the same time using clips of those same hits to promote the game. Its kind of like fining Chad Johnson for being flamboyant, while using him in a lot of NFL commercials on NFLN. Still, I think it should be up to the players to decide if the risk is worth the reward. We hear about workers being injured or even killed at work all the time. These workers are getting no where near the financial compensation that NFL players recieve.

valo403
02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
If it was that easy to make the game safer without deminishing the action on the field it would have been done long ago. The NFL is in the business of entertainment. If they reduce it to touch football to make it safe for the players then they stand to lose billions as a result of lost interest.

Yes I agree that the NFL is being hypocritical by saying they want to eliminate hits to defenseless players, while at the same time using clips of those same hits to promote the game. Its kind of like fining Chad Johnson for being flamboyant, while using him in a lot of NFL commercials on NFLN. Still, I think it should be up to the players to decide if the risk is worth the reward. We hear about workers being injured or even killed at work all the time. These workers are getting no where near the financial compensation that NFL players recieve.

You mean like mandating the use of helmets that have been shown to be better at protecting against concussions? Or requiring knee pads which reduces the risk of concussion in a knee to helmet collision? The latter is at least partially, if not largely, on the players, but the helment issue has a lot to do with valuing the relationships with certain companies over the protective qualities of the equipment.

I agree to an extent on the whole risk v. financial compensation argument, but you're discounting the fact that the majority of NFL players aren't multi-millionaires at the end of their careers. The average NFL career is 3.3 years and the median salary is in the $800,000 range. Put that together and you have guys making around $1.6mil over their career, factor in taxes of at least 35% and you're looking at around $1mil, likely less when state taxes come into play. It's still a pretty nice chunk of cash, but the whole risk v. return thing goes away when you consider the toll placed on the body to earn that paycheck. Lifelong injuries that make careers after football difficult to maintain, unknown mental damage, and decreased lifespans. All for a million bucks. It's easy to look at Aaron Rodgers and say 'hey, he makes millions of dollars, that's a fair trade for a couple of concussions' but the reality is the vast majority of players don't fit that perception.

The biggest thing the NFL has to do to convince me that they actually give a damn is to put their money where their mouth is and start paying for the longterm health issues that result from playing in their league. Take care of your former players, take care of your current players, and stop pretending you care on one hand and blatantly profiting off the violence on the other.

burn_baby_burn
02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
You mean like mandating the use of helmets that have been shown to be better at protecting against concussions? Or requiring knee pads which reduces the risk of concussion in a knee to helmet collision? The latter is at least partially, if not largely, on the players, but the helment issue has a lot to do with valuing the relationships with certain companies over the protective qualities of the equipment.

I agree to an extent on the whole risk v. financial compensation argument, but you're discounting the fact that the majority of NFL players aren't multi-millionaires at the end of their careers. The average NFL career is 3.3 years and the median salary is in the $800,000 range. Put that together and you have guys making around $1.6mil over their career, factor in taxes of at least 35% and you're looking at around $1mil, likely less when state taxes come into play. It's still a pretty nice chunk of cash, but the whole risk v. return thing goes away when you consider the toll placed on the body to earn that paycheck. Lifelong injuries that make careers after football difficult to maintain, unknown mental damage, and decreased lifespans. All for a million bucks. It's easy to look at Aaron Rodgers and say 'hey, he makes millions of dollars, that's a fair trade for a couple of concussions' but the reality is the vast majority of players don't fit that perception.

The biggest thing the NFL has to do to convince me that they actually give a damn is to put their money where their mouth is and start paying for the longterm health issues that result from playing in their league. Take care of your former players, take care of your current players, and stop pretending you care on one hand and blatantly profiting off the violence on the other.

The players we are talking about are not average. They are not the bench warmers taking up spots on an NFL roster making league minimum for three or four years. The players most at risk are the players with the most playing time who are at an increased risk of injury. Those players make more than one million over a career.

However, is it worth having long term health affects for one million dollars? If not, why play in the NFL?

I have no problem with the league making knee pads manditory. Or by having the players wear better helmets (half the problem with concussions is because of the helmet being used as a weapon). I do have a problem with taking the hitting or physicality out of the game.

OILFAN #81
02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Eagles hire former Colts offensive line coach Howard Mudd. He had retired last year.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110202/SPORTS03/110202023/Former-Colts-offensive-line-coach-Howard-Mudd-joins-Philadelphia-Eagles?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110202/SPORTS03/110202023/Former-Colts-offensive-line-coach-Howard-Mudd-joins-Philadelphia-Eagles?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.co m%7Cs)

Good guy and a good move by Philly to hire the 69 year old. He has a ton of experience.

At the same time though......the switch for Castillo makes no sense to me. Offensive line coach to defensive coordinator.....he hasn't coached defense since 1990.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/24885/stunning-move-by-the-eagles

valo403
02-02-2011, 06:59 PM
The players we are talking about are not average. They are not the bench warmers taking up spots on an NFL roster making league minimum for three or four years. The players most at risk are the players with the most playing time who are at an increased risk of injury. Those players make more than one million over a career.

However, is it worth having long term health affects for one million dollars? If not, why play in the NFL?

I have no problem with the league making knee pads manditory. Or by having the players wear better helmets (half the problem with concussions is because of the helmet being used as a weapon). I do have a problem with taking the hitting or physicality out of the game.

Sorry, but you're out to lunch if you think the players most at risk are the stars. Ever heard of punt cover? Kickoff? Tell me something, what type of play was it that Eric Legrand was paralyzed on? Kevin Everett? Yeah, those " bench warmers taking up spots on an NFL roster" sure don't do anything. Those special teams plays are all touch right? Special teams plays are by far the most violent plays in any game. It's not even a contest.

rubecube
02-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Eagles hire former Colts offensive line coach Howard Mudd. He had retired last year.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110202/SPORTS03/110202023/Former-Colts-offensive-line-coach-Howard-Mudd-joins-Philadelphia-Eagles?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110202/SPORTS03/110202023/Former-Colts-offensive-line-coach-Howard-Mudd-joins-Philadelphia-Eagles?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.co m%7Cs)

Good guy and a good move by Philly to hire the 69 year old. He has a ton of experience.

At the same time though......the switch for Castillo makes no sense to me. Offensive line coach to defensive coordinator.....he hasn't coached defense since 1990.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/24885/stunning-move-by-the-eagles

Yeah, I don't really know what to make of the Castillo hiring. He's really highly respected by a lot of the defensive gurus around the league (Rivera, Spagnulo, Frazier) but it seems weird that they waited this long to name him. I don't really see how it's an update over McDermott but time will tell. I love the Mudd hiring.

burn_baby_burn
02-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Sorry, but you're out to lunch if you think the players most at risk are the stars. Ever heard of punt cover? Kickoff? Tell me something, what type of play was it that Eric Legrand was paralyzed on? Kevin Everett? Yeah, those " bench warmers taking up spots on an NFL roster" sure don't do anything. Those special teams plays are all touch right? Special teams plays are by far the most violent plays in any game. It's not even a contest.

I apolagize, I wasn't trying to say that special teams was not violent. I didn't say that only the stars are at risk either. Just that starting players will see a lot more reps than third string players who will be used primarily on special teams. Who makes the news when it comes to concussions? Quarter backs and recievers. Those are the players making significantly more than the one million over their entire career as you stated.

Still, if those fringe players being used primarily on special teams don't think the risk associated with playing such a position are worth it for a measly $1,000,000 over three years? Why take the risk in the first place? Get a job doing something else and avoid the long term health effects of playing professional football.

rubecube
02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Still, if those fringe players being used primarily on special teams don't think the risk associated with playing such a position are worth it for a measly $1,000,000 over three years? Why take the risk in the first place? Get a job doing something else and avoid the long term health effects of playing professional football.

I just don't understand this line of thinking. If you applied it to every other profession it would sound absurd. Why hold any companies accountable to safety standards? Their employees are compensated and if they don't like the risks involved they should find new work.

valo403
02-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I just don't understand this line of thinking. If you applied it to every other profession it would sound absurd. Why hold any companies accountable to safety standards? Their employees are compensated and if they don't like the risks involved they should find new work.

Thank you. It's the equivalent of not using rigging on a high rise construction job 1920's style and telling people that if they don't like it they can get a job shining shoes.

valo403
02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I apolagize, I wasn't trying to say that special teams was not violent. I didn't say that only the stars are at risk either. Just that starting players will see a lot more reps than third string players who will be used primarily on special teams. Who makes the news when it comes to concussions? Quarter backs and recievers. Those are the players making significantly more than the one million over their entire career as you stated.

Yeah I wonder why that is, could it possibly be because those are the most high profile players and the ones who generally have the most obvious impact on the game? Just because injuries to star players recieve the most press coverage doesn't mean that they suffer more injuries.

rubecube
02-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Thank you. It's the equivalent of not using rigging on a high rise construction job 1920's style and telling people that if they don't like it they can get a job shining shoes.

Screw that. Let's start putting lead back in shoe polish so that's cheaper to manufacture. These shoe-shiners are being compensated. If they don't like the effect of lead fumes, they can easily find less hazardous work.

OILFAN #81
02-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Colts hire a new RB coach: Maryland's running back coach David Walker.

I see he has coached Lesean McCoy in the past.

Slava
02-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Well actually that is the way business operates. More responsibility=more risks=greater payouts.

Not only that, but look at a show like Deadliest Catch. They take huge risks physically and reap the rewards...but if they don't want to take those risks go get a "normal" job and say goodbye to the big dollars that go with it.

That isn't to say that these industries don't try to limit the risks, but at some point there are basic things required in the job and its dangerous or risky. If you aren't prepared to potentially suffer the consequences then look for something else.

rubecube
02-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Well actually that is the way business operates. More responsibility=more risks=greater payouts.

Not only that, but look at a show like Deadliest Catch. They take huge risks physically and reap the rewards...but if they don't want to take those risks go get a "normal" job and say goodbye to the big dollars that go with it.

That isn't to say that these industries don't try to limit the risks, but at some point there are basic things required in the job and its dangerous or risky. If you aren't prepared to potentially suffer the consequences then look for something else.

I understand that, but it's really not the point I'm trying to make. How would if look If the companies that employed the dudes from Deadliest Catch came out publicly and said they were trying to improve safety standards so that less men died, but then supplied them with less safety equipment in order to increase their profits?

rubecube
02-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Bad news for Vikings fans. The Williams bros will be serving their suspension next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6101481

Sainters7
02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Bad news for Vikings fans. The Williams bros will be serving their suspension next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6101481

I suppose that means Will Smith of the Saints will be serving his next year too. Crappy if true, but I'll just be happy to finally get it out of the way. This has been dragging on for 3 years now, ridiculous. It's been so long that 2 of the 3 Saints originally charged aren't even on the roster anymore.

SportsJunky
02-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Agreed, get it over with. Hate to see the Williamsx2 sit out but if you do the crime...

Pagal4321
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Well it's highly doubtful Pat Williams will be back with the Vikings, so hopefully his "replacement" is well in place by then.

burn_baby_burn
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I understand that, but it's really not the point I'm trying to make. How would if look If the companies that employed the dudes from Deadliest Catch came out publicly and said they were trying to improve safety standards so that less men died, but then supplied them with less safety equipment in order to increase their profits?

Is the NFL supplying the players with less safety equipment to increase profits? The helmets and pads have improved over the years. Even the rules have been changed to protect the players. All the while salaries have increased for the players. Yes, its dangerous. However the risk must be worth the reward since very few players actually decide its too dangerous and walk away from the big money.

rubecube
02-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Fans file lawsuit against Cowboys, NFL.

http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=353090

What a massive failure this year's Super Bowl. Leave it to Jerry and the 'Boys to screw up the biggest spectating event in North America.

valo403
02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Fans file lawsuit against Cowboys, NFL.

http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=353090

What a massive failure this year's Super Bowl. Leave it to Jerry and the 'Boys to screw up the biggest spectating event in North America.

The Cowboys and Jones had nothing to do with it, at least not the stadium issues, the Super Bowl is a wholly NFL run show.

IMO these fans got the best deal of anyone in attendance. They got to watch the game from field level, which may not be the best view but would be one heck of an experience, and got to be on the field for the post game festivities. Add in that they're going to get tickets to another Super Bowl and either $2400 or round trip airfare and hotels and I'd take that deal any day of the week.

rubecube
02-09-2011, 11:33 AM
IMO these fans got the best deal of anyone in attendance. They got to watch the game from field level, which may not be the best view but would be one heck of an experience, and got to be on the field for the post game festivities.

Not sure if all fans got that.

One of the plaintiffs is a Cowboys season ticket-holder who said some of Jones' biggest-spending fans were promised access to Super Bowl tickets and ended up with obstructed views on metal folding chairs.
"Unfortunately, not all of the ticket-holders to Super Bowl XLV got what they bargained for or what was promised to them," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit alleges that Cowboys fans who paid US$100,000 per seat just for the right to buy season tickets were never told that their Super Bowl seats would be temporary with obstructed views. The lawsuit says the team has offered no compensation for "illegitimate seats."

valo403
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Not sure if all fans got that.

Yeah, getting a seat that allows you to see one endzone is a different story. I don't get why a modern building would ever include seats like that, and there are tons in Cowboys stadium that are like that and are permanent seats. I guess people will still buy them, so why not do it.

transplant99
02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Yup.....Jones and the Cowboys most certainly share some responsibility here. No question about it.

What a massive failure this year's Super Bowl. Leave it to Jerry and the 'Boys to screw up the biggest spectating event in North America

Just a tad overstated....no?

I mean less than 1% of the people were affected by ticket problems. The cab strike had nothing to with the team or Jones. The weather also had nothing to do with any human beings, and by all accounts the hospitality was over the top for those who did make it for the week. (spent a couple hours with a local scribe yesterday who was there from Wednesday on)

Im no Cowboy fan, but i can hardly call the whole thing a failure.

rubecube
02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Yup.....Jones and the Cowboys most certainly share some responsibility here. No question about it.

Just a tad overstated....no?

I mean less than 1% of the people were affected by ticket problems. The cab strike had nothing to with the team or Jones. The weather also had nothing to do with any human beings, and by all accounts the hospitality was over the top for those who did make it for the week. (spent a couple hours with a local scribe yesterday who was there from Wednesday on)

Im no Cowboy fan, but i can hardly call the whole thing a failure.

There have been reports that have come out since the game ended that suggested there were huge organization issues. Jim Rome was talking about it yesterday as well. The game itself was decent but there were a lot of issues for fans and teams.

You're right though, not all of it had to do with Jones. A lot of it just had to do with the location itself.

calgaryrocks
02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
One of the plaintiffs is a Cowboys season ticket-holder who said some of Jones' biggest-spending fans were promised access to Super Bowl tickets and ended up with obstructed views on metal folding chairs.
"Unfortunately, not all of the ticket-holders to Super Bowl XLV got what they bargained for or what was promised to them," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit alleges that Cowboys fans who paid US$100,000 per seat just for the right to buy season tickets were never told that their Super Bowl seats would be temporary with obstructed views. The lawsuit says the team has offered no compensation for "illegitimate seats."

:eek: Am I reading that right? $100,000 per seat to buy season tickets, it sounds like that isn't even the cost, just the right to buy them. how much were the tickets to the Superbowl itself? that is insane

valo403
02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
:eek: Am I reading that right? $100,000 per seat to buy season tickets, it sounds like that isn't even the cost, just the right to buy them. how much were the tickets to the Superbowl itself? that is insane

$100k seems like a bit of an inflated figure, the most expensive PSL I can find online at Cowboys stadium is $50k (for row 1 at the 40 yard line). I guess there could be suite level seats that go for $100k, but I find it hard to beleive that those people got shuffled to obstructed view seats.

The thing you have to remember with PSL's is that they're basically a property right. There are plenty of restrictions, but you have the ability to sell them.

Bobblehead
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, getting a seat that allows you to see one endzone is a different story. I don't get why a modern building would ever include seats like that, and there are tons in Cowboys stadium that are like that and are permanent seats. I guess people will still buy them, so why not do it.Geez, I was there in Dec. and didn't see many/any obstructed views.

Here it the view from the seats I was in - Sec 402.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/Perrin7/Viewfromtheseats-Kickoff.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/Perrin7/Viewfromtheseats.jpg

valo403
02-10-2011, 05:43 PM
There are a good number of obstructed view seats, it was widely documented when the building opened. I wouldn't expect you would see them in the upper deck, kind of hard to block your view when there's nothing in front of you or hanging above you.

Cortez
02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Any Patriot fans around?
I'm curious to read about what people think is needed for the Patriots to improve in the off season

Papi34
02-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Any Patriot fans around?
I'm curious to read about what people think is needed for the Patriots to improve in the off season

Help on the lines.

Cortez
02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Help on the lines.

you like the secondary the way it is?

rubecube
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Good article on the 18-game schedule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=6112016&sportCat=nfl

Here's the crux of the issue, IMO:

Is that so? Then how do you explain a recent Associated Press-Knowledge Networks poll that showed only 27 percent of the respondents strongly or somewhat favored an increase from 16 to 18 regular-season games? Or that just 18 percent of those identified specifically as NFL fans strongly favor an expanded regular season? Or that Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney is against any such expansion?

"Nah, I'll be honest with you," said Pietrcollo, a Steelers season-ticket holder for 25 years. "I haven't talked to anyone who's in favor of the 18-game schedule. We are against paying full price for preseason games."

See, that's what Goodell won't say. He won't say that NFL owners have stuck it to their season-ticket holders for years, forcing them to pay the same bloated price for warmed-over appetizers as they do for full entrees. Instead, you get this from Goodell: "And repeatedly the fans have said the quality of the preseason doesn't meet NFL standards."

No, Roger, the fans have said the NFL's rip-off preseason pricing structure doesn't meet fairness standards. Nobody expects preseason games to be more than glorified scrimmages and talent evaluations. But to charge full boat?

"I can't get rid of them," said Pietrcollo of his preseason tickets.

transplant99
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah...i have to agree that if they reduced ticket prices on pre-season games or limited it to 2 games, then by all means keep the 16 game season.

However, if they insist on the current model, I think it makes all the sense in the world to make 2 of those 4 games count towards something.

An extra 2 games would allow for some more premium regular season games as well. Good for revenue building if nothing else, and that's something that both sides would benefit from. An expanded roster means more jobs, more revenue means more money for players. More primetime/Grade A games means higher TV ratings and more money into the owners coffers along with those seats actually being filled and buying concessions/parking etc.

rubecube
02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
An extra 2 games would allow for some more premium regular season games as well. Good for revenue building if nothing else, and that's something that both sides would benefit from. An expanded roster means more jobs, more revenue means more money for players. More primetime/Grade A games means higher TV ratings and more money into the owners coffers along with those seats actually being filled and buying concessions/parking etc.

Yeah, but I think you'd see preseason football spilling over into the regular season football look at weeks 16 & 17 this year. How many of those games actually meant something. Week 17 was one the worst weekends of football in recent memory.

Sylvanfan
02-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Given the systemization of the NFL, I can't see teams being willing to cut the preseason down from it's current 4 games.

If you want more games to mean something in week 17, it's simple add one more playoff team to each Conference and only give the team with the best record a first round bye. That would bring a lot more games into play for meaning something in the final two weeks. Plus it would create two extra playoff games of revenue in the Wild Card round which combined with added T.V. money would put more money in owners pockets.

rubecube
02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Given the systemization of the NFL, I can't see teams being willing to cut the preseason down from it's current 4 games.

If you want more games to mean something in week 17, it's simple add one more playoff team to each Conference and only give the team with the best record a first round bye. That would bring a lot more games into play for meaning something in the final two weeks. Plus it would create two extra playoff games of revenue in the Wild Card round which combined with added T.V. money would put more money in owners pockets.

I could go along with this.

Erick Estrada
02-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, but I think you'd see preseason football spilling over into the regular season football look at weeks 16 & 17 this year. How many of those games actually meant something. Week 17 was one the worst weekends of football in recent memory.

Since starters typically don't play in the 4th preseason game you are essentially taking away one preseason game by going to two games. The season would likely be similar to the CFL in that the first week of the season is filled with some sloppy play but the current NFL preseason is just too long and drawn out. I don't buy that an 18 game schedule is too much for the players as we've seen it for years in the CFL heck the Stamps played 2 games in five days last year.

valo403
02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Since starters typically don't play in the 4th preseason game you are essentially taking away one preseason game by going to two games. The season would likely be similar to the CFL in that the first week of the season is filled with some sloppy play but the current NFL preseason is just too long and drawn out. I don't buy that an 18 game schedule is too much for the players as we've seen it for years in the CFL heck the Stamps played 2 games in five days last year.

The starters don't need preseason games, they understand the systems and can execute them (usually). Taking away two extra preseason games means that guys who don't know the system will be losing time to learn it, or they'll still be elarning it in regular season games. Of the 22 starters there's always a half dozen or so who are new to the system, and that doesn't account for the 15-20 players who see significant palying time in one capacity or another from the start of the year. A good number of those guys would be playing with half a clue as to what was going on. It would make for 2 weeks of garbage football.

Then take a look at what would happen at the end of the year. Instead of one week of starters being rested the top teams would be resting guys for 2-3 weeks. Divisions and conferences could still be sewn up by week 16. Sounds like riveting television.

Look at the absolute beating these palyers take over the course of a 16 game season and playoffs, hell look at GB's roster. Teams are already decimated by injuries over the course of 16 games, adding 2 more will lead to even more star players on the sidelines come playoff time. Again, riveting tv. And don't give me the 'the CFL can do it' line, two different games with very different demands on the players.

Papi34
02-11-2011, 12:59 PM
you like the secondary the way it is?

Ya im fine with the secondary, Mcourty was phenomenal, Leigh Bodden will be back Wilhite will be back another year from butler should help and the safties are solid really like Pat Chung and Sanders was a soldier this year. Merriweather is a little meh for me but i think he has shown signs that he can be very good

Also if they make a better effort to improve the d-line and OLB position and get pressure on the QB the secondary instantly improves because of it.

rubecube
02-11-2011, 02:57 PM

C'mon, you're not really going to use the CFL as a point of reference are you? The guys in NFL are much bigger than most of their CFL counterparts, which means the hits are harder and therefore take more of a toll on the body. Not to mention that running the ball is much more prevalent in the NFL, which is harder on players than passing.

Displaced Flames fan
02-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Demaryius Thomas is out for 6-8 months with an achilles injury.

This kid can't catch a break.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Thomas-Suffers-Achilles-Injury/50b59d13-9970-40e4-9e14-42f753edf016

GirlySports
02-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Do you want Plaxico on your team?

He's getting out on June 6. He's 33 years old and reportedly in great physical shape.

Would you want your team to take a crack at him? Why? Why not?

Sylvanfan
02-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Shawn Rogers was released by the Cleveland Browns. Rogers is a mamoth 350 pound nose tackle who's been to the pro bowl. But in his 10 seasons in the NFL, his teams the Lions and Browns have combined for a 45-115 record. Speculation that he's really sick of losing. But guys who can eat space like him at that nose position are pretty rare, and there are some decent 3-4 teams who wouldn't think twice about trying to get him to play there on their teams. I know the Chiefs could use him as a space eater at the point of attack.

Wise Gamble
02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Do you want Plaxico on your team?

He's getting out on June 6. He's 33 years old and reportedly in great physical shape.

Would you want your team to take a crack at him? Why? Why not?

I'm sure Dallas or Washington will pick him up.

How about my Seahawks. 85 in 1 chance to win it all next year. Anyone think they got a shot?

Trojan97
02-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Houston should be all over him. They have just as good a chance as any to do well next year and he would be a tremendous stopgap at nose as they switch over the D.

rubecube
02-13-2011, 03:53 AM
I would bet my life's savings that the Giants pick up Plax.

Erick Estrada
02-13-2011, 05:35 PM
C'mon, you're not really going to use the CFL as a point of reference are you? The guys in NFL are much bigger than most of their CFL counterparts, which means the hits are harder and therefore take more of a toll on the body. Not to mention that running the ball is much more prevalent in the NFL, which is harder on players than passing.

Doesn't matter. Football's football. The fact is that players are getting injured in record numbers in a 16 game schedule. I'm sure that roster numbers would have to expand which makes it easier to keep backup players in key positions. The extra two games would be key in that injured players may not be rushed back into action as fast as that seems to be all too common in the short 16 game season where every game counts.

You can argue that teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Eagles, Packers have been playing 17/18 game seasons for the last decade and those teams come back the next year and continue to make the playoffs.

valo403
02-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Doesn't matter. Football's football. The fact is that players are getting injured in record numbers in a 16 game schedule. I'm sure that roster numbers would have to expand which makes it easier to keep backup players in key positions. The extra two games would be key in that injured players may not be rushed back into action as fast as that seems to be all too common in the short 16 game season where every game counts.

You can argue that teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Eagles, Packers have been playing 17/18 game seasons for the last decade and those teams come back the next year and continue to make the playoffs.

You're entire post went stupid at sentence two. Football is not football. They are different games and demand different things from their players. If you can't see that you aren't paying attention.

rubecube
02-13-2011, 07:56 PM
You're entire post went stupid at sentence two. Football is not football. They are different games and demand different things from their players. If you can't see that you aren't paying attention.

Yeah, I've never played football above high school, but I played defensive line and I can tell you that it's much more fun rushing the QB than trying to stop a run.

CofR
02-13-2011, 07:57 PM
How about my Seahawks. 85 in 1 chance to win it all next year. Anyone think they got a shot?

I personally don't think the Seahawks will make the playoffs next year, but at those odds they're good for a cheeky bet. I took my Buccaneers at 41:1 this morning, so we'll see how that plays out.

Sainters7
02-13-2011, 08:39 PM
I personally don't think the Seahawks will make the playoffs next year, but at those odds they're good for a cheeky bet. I took my Buccaneers at 41:1 this morning, so we'll see how that plays out.

Your Bucs are gonna be solid next year, haha I hate it. Man that NFC South is gonna be a BATTLE next year. I'm just glad Luck decided to stay at Stanford since the Panties have the #1 pick. Brees, Ryan, Freeman, Luck; would've been way too many good QB's in that division for my liking.

CofR
02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Your Bucs are gonna be solid next year, haha I hate it. Man that NFC South is gonna be a BATTLE next year. I'm just glad Luck decided to stay at Stanford since the Panties have the #1 pick. Brees, Ryan, Freeman, Luck; would've been way too many good QB's in that division for my liking.

Ya, its going to be really tight. It would have been even scarier to see the Panthers get an elite level quarterback as well. I keep trying to think about who will win the division next season and I seem to change my mind every day. The future is certainly bright for the NFC South.

rubecube
02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Pretty good story on the Eagles and DeSean Jackson (written by Rick Reilly).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6120346

A 13-year-old boy named Nadin Khoury told about how he'd been attacked by seven bigger schoolmates (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/nfl-stars-have-bullied-teens-back-12839688), kicked, beaten, dragged through the snow, stuffed into a tree, and hung on a 7-foot spiked fence, all while adults watched.

The boy was only 5-foot-2, but he'd made up his mind to stand tall no matter how much of his pride bled out. As the brutal video played on a screen behind him, his collar stayed buttoned, his spine straight, but his bottom lip quivered.

From behind the curtain came three Philadelphia Eagles (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/phi/philadelphia-eagles) -- All-World receiver DeSean Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11283), center Jamaal Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5004) and guard Todd Herremans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8540).

rubecube
02-14-2011, 05:58 PM
In other news, things just keep getting worse for Albert Haynesworth.

http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=353861

Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (http://tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=albert+haynesworth) has reportedly been accused of sexual assault.

WRC-TV in Washington is reporting that a waitress claimed that the 29-year-old assaulted her at the W Hotel in Washington.

rubecube
02-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Eagles officially franchise Vick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6123655

Lil Pedro
02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Chargers franchise V. Jackson too

Cheese
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
funny tweets between Ochocinco and Owens...

ochocinco (http://twitter.com/#%21/ochocinco) Chad Ochocinco by chevysnapper56
@terrellowens (http://twitter.com/terrellowens) Man its your f_cking fault my QB is retiring, I should whoop your ass cause they're blaming me you f_cking Diva!!!

terrellowens (http://twitter.com/#%21/terrellowens) Terrell Owens by chevysnapper56 @

@ochocinco (http://twitter.com/ochocinco) I should whoop ur a** 4 asking me 2 come 2 Cincy! Yeh it's my fault tht he's retiring but not if I woulda had 15 TDs instead of 9

OILFAN #81
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Colts release S Bob Sanders. When this guy was healthy, he was one of the best defensive players in football. The problem was that he was healthy only around 35-40% of the time. Good luck with everything Bob.

Cheerio
02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Colts release S Bob Sanders. When this guy was healthy, he was one of the best defensive players in football. The problem was that he was healthy only around 35-40% of the time. Good luck with everything Bob.

Hopefully he can get healthy and resume his career somewhere in the NFC. Good luck Bob.

Sainters7
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Too bad, man I loved that guy back when he was actually playing regularly, was probably my favourite non-Saint in the league. Just an absolute warrior. It's really a shame that injuries have derailed his career, he's an elite safety in this league. Hopefully he can get picked up somewhere and get a fresh start, but I can't see his injury problems going away. Sad story.

arloiginla
02-18-2011, 02:03 PM
So fellow Broncos fans, who are we going to draft at No. 2 overall?

nik-
02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I think my Bills are going to take Cam Newton at 3 and it makes me nervous :(

Displaced Flames fan
02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
So fellow Broncos fans, who are we going to draft at No. 2 overall?

Fairley or Bowers, unless they can't sign Champ. Then it might be Peterson. Hell, it still might be Peterson.

transplant99
02-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Fairley or Bowers, unless they can't sign Champ. Then it might be Peterson. Hell, it still might be Peterson.

If they need to, wont they franchise him?

transplant99
02-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Mike McCarthy will vault among the 10 highest-paid coaches in the National Football League when the finishing touches on his contract extension with the Green Bay Packers are completed.
Sources with knowledge of th
e negotiations said McCarthy's new contract will average about $5 million per year.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/116282714.html

Displaced Flames fan
02-18-2011, 07:19 PM
If they need to, wont they franchise him?

I don't think they would. The franchise tag for CB's is a gigantic number. I think he will sign personally.

Flames in 07
02-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Your last couple posts remind me of people in phoenix trying to explain hockey to me. Cfl is rec league sandlot football compared to the NFL. The collisions are smaller and far less frequent in the cdn game.

An 18 game league can only decrease the quality of ball and saying it's ok by using the cfl as a proxy makes zero sense

OILFAN #81
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Saints release TE Jeremy Shockey

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=354927

Sainters7
02-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Saints release TE Jeremy Shockey

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=354927

No surprises here, what with him constantly battling nagging injuries, and the emergence of rookie TE Jimmy Graham, who essentially had replaced him as the starter last year.

I'll never forget him catching the winning TD in SB44 last year, for that he will forever be in Saints lore.

Swayze11
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I expect Bush to be let go next, unless he can somehow re-structure his contract with the Saints.

Montana Moe
02-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Broncos sign Champ Bailey, per John Elway's Twitter

Sainters7
02-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I expect Bush to be let go next, unless he can somehow re-structure his contract with the Saints.

I'd love to see him come back at a reduced price (somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3-4 million, tops), as I think he plays a key role on our team in adding a different dimension not a lot of teams can say they have. The amount of 3rd and longs on underneath routes I've seen that guy convert over the past few years that he had no business making is ridiculous, and its by having a skillset I think only a handful of NFL players have, the guy is a freak athlete (just an undersized one for this league, hence the injuries). He already said he'd be willing to take a paycut as well (just depends on how low he's willing to go).

I'm not overly confident it will get done though, and after this season I think some desperate GM is going to overpay for him. Even though he's clearly not what he was hyped to be back in '06, he's still a good player (when he can stay on the field), and I think a few GM's will still see that "Reggie Bush" name and want to take a chance. I think he's got one year left in N.O. at the very most, although I'd love to be wrong if its at the right price.

Montana Moe
02-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't like the idea of Reggie leaving, but they HAVE to do something with that number, he's due over $11 million this year.

Displaced Flames fan
02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Broncos sign Champ Bailey, per John Elway's Twitter

Great news. This guy brings it every game. He has spent the last 4 years playing on a wrecked defense and has done nothing but make plays, often in places he shouldn't even see on the play.

I think the guy is still an elite CB...and he is absolutely a complete CB.

Even with Bailey signed, I'm starting to lean toward Patrick Peterson as my choice for that 2nd pick. Who better to mentor a young franchise CB?

transplant99
02-23-2011, 09:15 AM
So former Bears great Dave Duerson committed suicide last week...and all because he wanted his brain to be analyzed afterwards.

A heartbreaking story developed over the weekend following the death of former Chicago Bears safety Dave Duerson. The incident that took his life last week was ruled a suicide, and The New York Times reported Duerson asked family members via text messages to have his brain examined for a disease (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6141129) that has been found in other deceased football players.

Duerson, in fact, shot himself in the chest rather than the head to keep his brain intact. He reportedly believed he might have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which has been tied to depression, dementia and occasionally suicide in former NFL players.

Over the next months, his brain will be studied at The Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University.

To this point, players who have died with this disease were not aware of their condition. Duerson knew about the disease partly because of his role on an NFL Players Association committee that helped determine disability payouts to members.

It's terrifying to think that Duerson killed himself believing he might have a disease that he had seen lead to mental issues for other former players.

Yikes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/24433/bbao-details-emerge-on-duerson-suicide

Flames in 07
02-26-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't like the idea of Reggie leaving, but they HAVE to do something with that number, he's due over $11 million this year.

ya closer to twelve if I remember right. We would not have spent the season talking about how much we miss Reggie if we had a better compliment of backs. Reggie has a place on this team but no where near the $11 he has coming to him. He creates nice matchups but you can get all kinds of goodies for 12 mil. We need to add a couple of backs with or without Reggie. I kept reading that NO was high on Gerhart who appears to be a slightly bigger Lynel Hamilton, whom I like. So maybe he can Hamilton can add 5 - 10 lbs, a healthy Pierre and pick up back known for durability and we can get by with out him. I think bigger needs are a deep threat with hands, and a stable of Linebackers.