PDA

View Full Version : Roughnecks for sale

Julio
01-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Something that has fallen through the cracks on a very busy sports day:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Roughnecks+sell+team+season/4064989/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

Da_Chief
01-06-2011, 01:13 AM
It would suck to lose them. I've been following the 'Necks since almost their expansion season. The best choice would be the Flames buying it. If they can burn millions on a guy like Staios I'm sure they can spare some change and keep the Necks going. I will hate Ken King if they don't act on this.

corporatejay
01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
It would suck to lose them. I've been following the 'Necks since almost their expansion season. The best choice would be the Flames buying it. If they can burn millions on a guy like Staios I'm sure they can spare some change and keep the Necks going. I will hate Ken King if they don't act on this.

Oddly enough, I believe during the '04 Cup run when the Necks won their championship their was talk (and apparently pressure from the league) of the Flames purchasing the roughnecks.

Seems like the right move now but the Flames are probably going to lose money this year and it looks like it's going to be a tough road ahead. This would have made more sense during the boomtime.

Julio
01-06-2011, 09:57 AM

As of now King has said that the Flames are concentrating on getting their hockey house in order and have no interest at this time in the Roughnecks.

fundmark19
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
The roughnecks have been looking for a buyer for many years. Bannister wants out and I guess he is making it public now in hopes someone will come forward

valo403
01-06-2011, 10:07 AM

You do realize that King is not a Flames owner, right?

Da_Chief
01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
You do realize that King is not a Flames owner, right?

You learn something new everyday..:rolleyes:

He's the president of the group. He can present the owners with pros and cons of it. The expansion cost is 3 mill, they can probably buy them for like half that price (thats how much the previous teams for sale have sold for or brought their asking price down to). King doesn't have to mix Flames and Roughnecks. Hire a staff to take care of them and just oversee the operations.

Right now the Flames get the concession and the parking money the Roughnecks generate, Bannister has a crappy lease deal. Do you wana lose that or just pony up some cash and buy them and just market them lil better and could make some money off of them.

As for the announcement now, I think it's a good move, get the publicity and get people to come out an support the team. Honestly if you go watch, you'll be hooked. It's fast paced, hard-hitting action at a relatively low price.

dirk diggler
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM
It amazes me that people in this city will pay over $100 to watch a Flames game but wont go to a roughnecks game for $30, to me there is no contest as to what is more exciting. its an embarrasment that a city this size cant sell out 8 games a year for the Roughnecks..

Da_Chief
01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
It amazes me that people in this city will pay over $100 to watch a Flames game but wont go to a roughnecks game for $30, to me there is no contest as to what is more exciting. its an embarrasment that a city this size cant sell out 8 games a year for the Roughnecks..

Corporate sponsorship really isn't there. It's more hip to be at Flames games than to be at Rigger's game. I've had people give me a strange look when asked about going to a Rigger's game.

The same amount you'll pay for nosebleeds at a Flames game you can pay the same to sit in the lower bowl at a Riggers game.

Families who can't afford Flames should definitely check out Riggers.

troutman
01-06-2011, 10:42 AM

The Roughnecks are to Calgary what the Coyotes are to Phoenix. Not enough people care about it.

dirk diggler
01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
The Roughnecks are to Calgary what the Coyotes are to Phoenix. Not enough people care about it.

Basically Calgary is only a hockey town. People used to criticize the Montreal sports fan for not supporting the Expos and only caring about hockey but Calgary is the same way.... the flames put on a pretty poor on ice product, yet they still sell out. The Rigger games are a great time, hopefully they remain in calgary

Bobblehead
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been to a Roughnecks game and didn't particularly care for it.

I liked the game itself, but I hated the continuous prompting and music and stuff during the play. I understand that a lot of people really like this, and that is fine. But I tried it and didn't like it.

Da_Chief
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM

I like Bannister but he hasn't done enough to promote them (don't blame him if you're losing money in the project every year).

The website all off-season wasn't updated, it had Kelusky/Sanderson on the main page all off-season even after their trades. Rosters just got links to player profiles.

It is tough to make room when another product is so established but you have to use different techniques to do it.

Howie_16
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I've been to a Roughnecks game and didn't particularly care for it.

I liked the game itself, but I hated the continuous prompting and music and stuff during the play. I understand that a lot of people really like this, and that is fine. But I tried it and didn't like it.

I feel the same way about a Roughnecks game. I enjoy the game of lacrosse, but the in-game entertainment was off-putting. The taunting announcer screaming "GET IN, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!" every time the opposition got a penalty was more annoying as the game went on.

Fire
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I've only been to one Roughneck game, but I would like to see the Flames buy them. I'm sure they could turn them into a break even operation at least.

mykalberta
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I am really surprised the Flames dont own them already. For some reason I thought they did.

Slava
01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I've also been to a game and am only a little bit ashamed to admit that I really didn't know what was going on. Not all the time of course, but sometimes there were whistles and I looked at the guys I was with and asked why play stopped...it was a mystery to us all.

The comparison to hockey in Phoenix is a good one I think; as a sort of casual fan I just couldn't get into it, and really just needed more education before I could go to more games. On TV its fine because there is someone to explain things, but live it was lacking for me.

valo403
01-06-2011, 04:45 PM
You learn something new everyday..:rolleyes:

He's the president of the group. He can present the owners with pros and cons of it. The expansion cost is 3 mill, they can probably buy them for like half that price (thats how much the previous teams for sale have sold for or brought their asking price down to). King doesn't have to mix Flames and Roughnecks. Hire a staff to take care of them and just oversee the operations.

Right now the Flames get the concession and the parking money the Roughnecks generate, Bannister has a crappy lease deal. Do you wana lose that or just pony up some cash and buy them and just market them lil better and could make some money off of them.

As for the announcement now, I think it's a good move, get the publicity and get people to come out an support the team. Honestly if you go watch, you'll be hooked. It's fast paced, hard-hitting action at a relatively low price.

And what's to say he hasn't already done that? I just don't get your "I will hate Ken King" line when you have no idea what has or hasn't happened. Do you know if the Roughnecks have the potential to be profitable? Maybe they're a money pit, maybe the league is on the brink of folding again, maybe the Flames have the ability to draw stronger income streams with a different structure, the list can go on and on.

malcolmk14
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
CP Jihad. Let's buy the Roughnecks. I nominate me as President.

Frequitude
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Shotgun Chairman of the Board.

calgaryrocks
01-07-2011, 08:35 AM
I've also been to a game and am only a little bit ashamed to admit that I really didn't know what was going on. Not all the time of course, but sometimes there were whistles and I looked at the guys I was with and asked why play stopped...it was a mystery to us all.

The comparison to hockey in Phoenix is a good one I think; as a sort of casual fan I just couldn't get into it, and really just needed more education before I could go to more games. On TV its fine because there is someone to explain things, but live it was lacking for me.
I think the TV thing is definitely key. I went to a few games (including both the championship games in Calgary) but the second one I understood more having watched it more (tv and in person). I think you are right that most people need to see it on tv with people explaining things, just going to the game could be very very confusing. look at what TSN has done for junior hockey and Canadian football. having games on tv is key but Roughnecks games are never on. They were on a bit more often early in the decade and I think they were doing well, the last few years you see the occasional Rock game on tv, but who in the west cares about Toronto teams?
tough to establish a team here competing against hockey, I wonder how things are going with the Edmonton team?
the culture isn't there yet for lacrosse watching, it did get more kids playing it though.
it's definitely not a money-maker at this point, flying players across the continent to Calgary to play each game, paying for championship rings etc. the games are much more affordable to go to then a Flames game, but just not as popular. If it was on tv more, and if they played more games they might do better attendance wide, garnering more interest.

as for the ingame music etc, I enjoy it as it gives a different feel to a game and tries to keep the fans involved, but it is so different from hockey (good and bad I guess) that it is hard to get the traditional hockey fan to buy in. with a large baby boom generation entering retirement, the demographics probably aren't suited for loud music etc at the games. I enjoy it, but I am a young adult

Resolute 14
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Basically Calgary is only a hockey town. People used to criticize the Montreal sports fan for not supporting the Expos and only caring about hockey but Calgary is the same way.... the flames put on a pretty poor on ice product, yet they still sell out. The Rigger games are a great time, hopefully they remain in calgary

The Stamps and their 30k average would like to remind you that Calgary is more than just a hockey town.

As far as Roughnecks attendance goes, the NLL is a minor league. One that I enjoy very much, but still just a minor league. The prices are similar to what you would pay for an AHL game, and the (real) attendance is similar. There is nothing unusual about this. The only market that draws "major league" numbers is Colorado in the 15k range. Edmonton, Philly, Toronto and Calgary will all announce in the 9-11k range for most games - and Toronto has seen its attendance plummet in recent years.

I hope the Flames are willing to take on the team, but if they don't, I wouldn't blame them. From what I understand the lease isn't nearly as bad as Bannister would have you believe, though the Flames do get the concessions. They also, of course, operate the concessions.

Hopefully someone does keep the team around though, as it is a fun sport to watch.

Resolute 14
01-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Incidentally, the Roughnecks home opener is tomorrow, and they have a really effing stupid home schedule. Home games each of the next four Saturdays, then four weeks on the road, then four more consecutive Saturday/Friday home games.

And with all Friday/Saturday home games, it should be noted that the Flames are really helping the team out with quality dates for their games, even though the Flames and Hitmen have scheduling priority.

fundmark19
01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Incidentally, the Roughnecks home opener is tomorrow, and they have a really effing stupid home schedule. Home games each of the next four Saturdays, then four weeks on the road, then four more consecutive Saturday/Friday home games.

And with all Friday/Saturday home games, it should be noted that the Flames are really helping the team out with quality dates for their games, even though the Flames and Hitmen have scheduling priority.

you are aware the NLL only plays on weekends? They only have 3 days a week to choose and really they are all quality dates

Resolute 14
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes I am. I am also aware that the Roughnecks first couple seasons featured a lot of Sunday afternoon games. No such games this year.

jtfrogger
01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm glad that Bannister is selling and I really hope that the Flames buy them.

I had season tickets for about three or four year, but I gave them up when it got to the point where it was cheaper to get tickets outside of being a season ticket holder. As a very recent example, I picked up tickets last week from Groupon for half price. I only bought one game, but all the tickets from the first month were available (i.e. the first half of their home games).

If they were owned by the Flames, they would be able to treat season ticket holders much better, like what they do with the Hitmen.

fundmark19
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Looks like the roughnecks might be folding mid season. Really hope someone steps up to help them out cough flames cough

http://www.ilindoor.com/2011/02/23/roughnecks-league-has-little-comment-flames-say-its-private-pym-and-players-focused-on-floor/

pylon
02-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Add me to the list of people that can't take a sport with blaring music during gameplay seriously. It gives it a total bush league feel, and is the single reason I won't go to the games. Until the NLL takes itself seriously, and acts presents itself like a pro sport, the fans won't either.

3 Justin 3
02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
I have been to a couple games and watched the championship game the first time we won it. In my opinion they just aren't marketed well enough. The flames are marketed way more (they have the money, but still) and they really don't need to as we all know the flames (my entire work knows and they are all immigrants).

I never see anything for the Roughnecks anywhere, tv, newspaper, radio, nothing. Maybe I am just not tuned into Calgary enough but I only know of them because of when they first moved here and I have sort of forgotten about them over the years.

troutman
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
The game never worked for me, mainly because the goalies have ZERO chance. If they make a save, it is usually because the ball hit them.

Resolute 14
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
You should have watched the game early in the season when Colorado won. We should have beat them 20-10. We lost, mainly because their goalie was harder to beat than Kipper on outdoor ice...