Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #41
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 07-30-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #42
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

So far, this is the oldest I've been.

Last edited by Traditional_Ale; 07-30-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #43
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
^ WTF man? You can't possibly be serious. Please tell me you forgot the green text!?

CP is special among forums because its a place to address things and share opinions in anonymity with intelligence and class.
I actually agree with you, but this particular debate is going nowhere.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The FBI has found that a history of cruelty to animals is one of the traits that regularly appear in its computer records of serial rapists and murderers, and the standard diagnostic and treatment manual for psychiatric and emotional disorders lists cruelty to animals as a diagnostic criterion for conduct disorders.

Studies have shown that violent and aggressive criminals are more likely to have abused animals as children than criminals considered non-aggressive. A survey of psychiatric patients who had repeatedly tortured dogs and cats found that all of them had high levels of aggression toward people as well, including one patient who had murdered a boy. To researchers, a fascination with cruelty to animals is a red flag in the lives of serial rapists and killers.

Says Robert Ressler, founder of the FBI’s behavioral sciences unit, "These are the kids who never learned it’s wrong to poke out a puppy’s eyes."
http://www.crimecasefiles.com/forum/...al-killer.html
Old 07-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #45
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the past they could have put him on a boat and he could of killed all the fish he wanted to.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #46
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
It's only been the last generation or two where children didn't get beat hard physically when they were bad.

I guess that's why kids are so well behaved now and society has blossomed into a beautiful zen like existence.
I see what you did there. Do I get a prize now, please no food though.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:10 AM   #47
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

small beginnings...
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 AM   #48
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

You would be angry and malicious too if you were being beaten and likely sexually abused at home. Boy needs help. Fast.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the conclusion where someone must be doing something wrong to the kid at home 'likely sexually' because the kid is doing something else inherently wrong to animals.

I dont believe that the two scenarios are necessarily mutually inclusive. This kid could just be unbalanced. There could be something else wrong. There is absolutely no evidence to jump to the conclusion that his parents or someone else are sexually abusing him so he kills animals. It just seems like a justification of behaviour.

'It must be someone else's fault.'

There isnt always necessarily an underlying reason for unreasonable behaviour. Maybe theres just something wrong with this kid.

Not to mention the fact that this line of reasoning is exactly what most of the posters here are railing against. This kid is not being assigned or taking, any responsibility for his actions. Well, why should he if the blame is deflected elsewhere all the time?

Its not little Timmy's fault, his parents abuse him.
Its not little Timmy's fault, its those awful friends of his.
Its not little Timmy's fault, Xenu made him do it.

Where does it end? At the end of the day, no one but little Timmy slaughtered a dog with a BBQ Fork.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The kid is likely being abused physically or sexually by some one. Usually when kids start killing animals it is a sympton of something else going on.

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/first...ould_know.html
I don't believe that one is exclusive to the other.

Andrei Chickitilo (Sorry I cant spell his name) for the most part had a normal upbringing, and he went on to be a prolific serial killer.

Ed Gein Was raised by a religious zealot of a mother, and look what he became, but there was no sexual abuse.

There's no evidence that Ted Bundy was abused in any way growing up.

Dahmer had a normal middle american upbringing and look what happened there.

I don't believe that killing and torturing animals means that someone has been abused or touched.

I believe that people that can rape, torture, murder human's or animals has been wired to be able to do that from birth, or has suffered from poor parenting.

But I don't think its always because they've been abused.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #51
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was talking with my neighbours last night about this and there was a story shared about a couple kids about 20 years ago somewhere in Montana who were killing all the neighbourhood pets. He was working there for only three weeks and it was happening before he got there, all through his stay, and then even after he left. By the time they caught what turned out to be two middle class 10 year olds with no history of abuse or poor upbringing they had slaughtered something like 30+ animals. They had a things for nuking cats in microwaves as well as drowning various cats, dogs, rabbits, gerbels and the like in trash cans. Aparently they also suffocated things in plastic bags, as well as just bashing them to death with baseball bats.

Some people for no reason seem to be born with screws loose. So sad.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #52
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nature vs Nurture.

I wish they wouldn't fight because they are always both responsible.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #53
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I was talking with my neighbours last night about this and there was a story shared about a couple kids about 20 years ago somewhere in Montana who were killing all the neighbourhood pets. He was working there for only three weeks and it was happening before he got there, all through his stay, and then even after he left. By the time they caught what turned out to be two middle class 10 year olds with no history of abuse or poor upbringing they had slaughtered something like 30+ animals. They had a things for nuking cats in microwaves as well as drowning various cats, dogs, rabbits, gerbels and the like in trash cans. Aparently they also suffocated things in plastic bags, as well as just bashing them to death with baseball bats.

Some people for no reason seem to be born with screws loose. So sad.
A part of that CAN still be upbringing, though. That doesn't necessarily mean parents beating on their kids, but exposing them to animals and teaching them animals are creatures that matter/feel pain, etc. If the kid sees his or her parent treating their cat like sh*t, kicking it, whatever, or just are never exposed to animals in the first place, I could definitely see a much greater chance of them, especially being around the wrong crowd, etc., treating pets and other animals like emotionless objects for their amusement.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #54
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
It's only been the last generation or two where children didn't get beat hard physically when they were bad.

I guess that's why kids are so well behaved now and society has blossomed into a beautiful zen like existence.
You sound like a 90 year old (or maybe this was tongue-in-cheek).
Isaac Newton's father probably said the same thing about his son's generation.

As for the kid, he needs a psychiatric evaluation.
Now, ask yourselves, if the kid has psych/emotional issues, would using corporal punishment make the kid more or less likely to abuse animals, or would it have no effect whatsoever?

Henry Steel Commager (1902-1998)

bcb is offline   Reply With Quote