Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Parise's comments/Team USA dressing room postgame

Interested to read everyone's thoughts about this. Lots of discussion this morning where I work about Zach Parise's comments re: Hockey Canada, and the video posted below.

I tried to track down the exact Parise quote but couldn't find it all. During the gold medal game pregame show on TSN they had a clip where they showed the US team putting up e-mails from a bunch of former USA NHLers, including Chelios and I think Drury, in which they offered their support and encouragement to the WJHC team. Fine. But Parise's e-mail said something like this:

"We are all tired of hearing about Hockey Canada & all the arrogance that comes with them. I look forward to watching us win so I can win my bet with Marty (Brodeur)."

Then, there's this video of the postgame dressing room celebration by the USA squad:

Offensive? Inflammatory? Unsportsmanlike? Bigoted?
or
Who cares/big deal.

Again, interested to hear if either of these two occurrences bothered anybody as much as it did a handful of my co-workers. I really don't see the big deal about the locker room stuff- they're a bunch of excited kids winning a huge tourney. I'm sure Team Canada has done much the same thing a bunch of times in the previous 5 years, without TSN airing it in an attempt to stir things up. And nothing specifically anti-Canadian in there.

I'm on the fence about Parise's comments. On one hand it's nice to see the passion that comes with international competition, and makes me pumped for the Olympics. But there's no question they are a little classless and juvenile, even if you think the anti-Canadian sentiment is warranted.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
hulkrogan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing wrong with either.

I live here and I'm sick of the Hockey Canada hype/propaganda/arrogance. It's like cheering for the Yankees sometimes.

They swore in the locker room? Oh no!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is all good. If you were American wouldn't you be sick of Canada always winning and winning 5 straight? Let them have their 1 championship. Good for them and Parises comments are fine.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering how arrogant our team behaved at times this year I'd say his comments were warranted. Besides he said that likely believing those comments wouldnt be leaked to the media. Nothing wrong with a little patriotism to help motivate your team.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brodeur hasn't been beaten this badly since Robitaille handed him his ass in that pizza commercial.

Too bad for Parise the American's won't get out of the quarter finals in Vancouver.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would have been a controversial thing to say, up until he included the part about the bet with Marty. That, believe it or not, changes everything.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Kaine
First Line Centre

Exp:

Warranted comments. I live in Canada and almost always cheer for Canada and I'm stick of having that "hockey Canada" crap crammed down my throat. Pride is one thing, a lot of people (players believe the hype about them I guess) take it way to far.

I'm glad the Americans took them down a peg or two, maybe the Olympic team will take a lesson from this as well.
This team has 0 chance at gold. Team Canada fails once again. How do you leave the best play maker in the world off the team? Thornton deserves to be there. This team screams 4 first pp units. Hardly any team oriented players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Dude when it comes to the Canucks, it could be a team of Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot, Augusto Pinochet, Josef Stalin and Kim Jong Il and if one of them scores against the Canucks you take it.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't blame them at all for being pumped up. They just beat the best hockey nation in the world hands down.

Hows that for arrogance?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

The have passion for the game and just won probably the biggest game of their young careers. Why wouldn't they be jacked?

The only thing I disagree with was that it wasn't an ass kicking, and, quite frankly, they almost blew it (again). But, they won. And that's what matters in the end.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha that cheer was kinda beauty actually, I don't have a problem with it at all. And I can see why Parise would say that, there is alot of arrogance with Canada Hockey. It's because we're the best and we know it. Same as USA Basketball's attitude going into the Olys.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
dj_patm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not offensive at all. Team Canada is arrogant (however they won 5 straight, so...)
dj_patm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Non-issue. Everyone comes out to beat Canada and they did.

I actually thought Team USA was very classy this tournament and especially during the events immediately following the win.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

There is something very ironic about an American whining about the arrogance of another nation, but I am certain Parise has long since gotten tired of having Canada kick the Americans ass all over the ice. I don't think the American senior team has finished ahead of us in the world championships, world cup or Olympics in over a decade, while the junior team spends most of it's time looking up at us as well.

You know we'd be all over it if Canada beat the Americans at something like basketball, so it's all good.

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parise seems to forget where he really comes from....
During filming at a residence of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, rowdy residents disturbed filming by hanging USSR flags in the residence windows, reporting the shoot to the fire marshal, yelling distracting taunts at the actors, and even stealing Kurt Russell's chair.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Trojan97
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That chant was awesome. Every successful sports team I've ever been on has done stuff similar to this, it has absolutely nothing to do with the opponents it is purely to build togetherness and camaraderie.

It was a sad loss for our country but good on the States for going into enemy territory and coming out with gold.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you win a fraction of the international tournaments your "rival" does, you latch onto that win as hard as you can.
nik- is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually thought it was nice to see another country win it. Plus, many people on here did talk like Canada winning gold was a foregone conclusion... so that is a little arrogant.

When it comes to hockey, Canada is the team everyone wants to beat. It's the curse of being the best...
Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #18
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Non-issue. Everyone comes out to beat Canada and they did.

I actually thought Team USA was very classy this tournament and especially during the events immediately following the win.
The Team USA coach in particular had some very classy comments after the game, saying they copied the best, Canada, with a tryout camp, with grit and determination.

The Canada/USA comparison, after a while, gets to look like the Edmonton Oilers/Calgary Flames of the early to mid-1980's. You get so tired of losing to those overbearing clowns you eventually get past the whining phase, toughen up, bear down and make it your mission to clobber them any way you can.

I don't have a problem Parise's comments. It'll just make it sweeter to beat him to death with it in the Olympics.

Cowperson
Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Not offensive, or bigoted by far. A little 'fabulous' but I cant blame them for being pumped.

Hell, I'm getting sick of the Canadian propaganda myself. I hope this brings a bit of spice to the tournament in the future rather than it being a 1 horse race like it has been for the last few years.

-Killer Sig Courtesy of ATR

- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
There is something very ironic about an American whining about the arrogance of another nation, but I am certain Parise has long since gotten tired of having Canada kick the Americans ass all over the ice. I don't think the American senior team has finished ahead of us in the world championships, world cup or Olympics in over a decade, while the junior team spends most of it's time looking up at us as well.

You know we'd be all over it if Canada beat the Americans at something like basketball, so it's all good.
We may have to get used to this.

There will probably come a day when there are more children registered to play hockey in the US than Canada.

Does anyone know the numbers for this year?

I wish the heck I could like fish, I just hate the taste of it . . . I wish I could eat one, they look so good . . .
- Gil Fisher (The Fishin' Musician):
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote