Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
dustygoon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Jokinen's extension....Sutter is going to wait a little bit

Caught this in one of Lebrun's pieces:

Quote:
"Management wants to see how the team plays early in the season and what role Olli has in that, and then we'll see how we proceed from there," said Jokinen's agent, Mark Gandler. "It looks like the changes the team made are positive changes, and it's the right team for Olli. I know Olli feels that way and the GM feels that way. So we'll see what happens."
Sounds sensible as we didn't really have a lot to go on last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

Last edited by dustygoon; 09-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
3thirty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good news. I can see a bit of a deal if he stay if all works out and I am all for that!
3thirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its Mark Gandler, he'll screw things up.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: Hoping Timmy Thomas and The Hockey Gods stop a soccer team from winning The Stanley Cup.
Exp:

Oh oh, from that article I read Marc Savard is going to be a free agent next year.

How many threads will be dedicated to Savvy as that deadline comes?

Oh! Andrew Ference as well! Going to be good times around here!

"I'm going to leave tonight with my head up, unlike last year. I battled for 60 minutes and kept it under seven goals so an improvement was made."-Uber goalie captain Roberto Luongo 5/11/10
Bingo Bango Brutal.
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another possible reason for waiting is to see the progress of Backlund. If he's ready for top six duty this or next season, extending Jokinen won't be quite so necessary. Hey, I hope we can keep him but it's good to look at the possibilities.
Vulcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Sutter_in_law
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Another possible reason for waiting is to see the progress of Backlund. If he's ready for top six duty this or next season, extending Jokinen won't be quite so necessary. Hey, I hope we can keep him but it's good to look at the possibilities.
isnt that a little premature? i mean Olli is a proven top 3, even if Backlund comes out strong theres always the chance of the "sophomore slump" (hopefully not) i dont think Darryl would risk the future on one great year by Backlund
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Jimmy Krack Korn
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Oh oh, from that article I read Marc Savard is going to be a free agent next year.

I know your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek here but if Jokinen puts together any kind of decent season, say 30g 70-80 pts, then Sutter's going to find a way to lock him up long term and in that case, there's just no room for Savard. Even if Langkow is gone, you have Backlund waiting for his shot and a ridiculous amount of natural centers behind him. Unless Jokinen falls flat on his face this year, I have to think our top two C spots are Jokinen and Backlund for the foreseeable future beyond this season.

But yeah, that won't stop Savard being a hot topic around here.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Kavvy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Mr. Ference is an Alternate Captain for the Bruins, one of the top teams in the East - they will be buyers on deadline day.

IMO we can kill this now - Boston aint trading him, and Calgary with our top D, isn't going to be going after a D man on deadline day.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: Hoping Timmy Thomas and The Hockey Gods stop a soccer team from winning The Stanley Cup.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
I know your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek here but if Jokinen puts together any kind of decent season, say 30g 70-80 pts, then Sutter's going to find a way to lock him up long term and in that case, there's just no room for Savard. Even if Langkow is gone, you have Backlund waiting for his shot and a ridiculous amount of natural centers behind him. Unless Jokinen falls flat on his face this year, I have to think our top two C spots are Jokinen and Backlund for the foreseeable future beyond this season.

But yeah, that won't stop Savard being a hot topic around here.
Oh I like Jokinen a lot, and think he brings more to the table than Marc Savard ever could.

"I'm going to leave tonight with my head up, unlike last year. I battled for 60 minutes and kept it under seven goals so an improvement was made."-Uber goalie captain Roberto Luongo 5/11/10
Bingo Bango Brutal.
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I like Jokinen a lot, and think he brings more to the table than Marc Savard ever could.

Marc Savard is the softest player in the nhl. If there was a rating system, say rated in Tan-gays. Savard is 10 Tan-gays. Tanguay himself is only 5 Tan-gays.

That is how soft Savard is.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jeremywilhelm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Jimmy Krack Korn
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Marc Savard is the softest player in the nhl. If there was a rating system, say rated in Tan-gays. Savard is 10 Tan-gays. Tanguay himself is only 5 Tan-gays.

That is how soft Savard is.
Sheesh, makes me wonder how many "Tan-gays" Craig Janney would rate. That was the softest player in the history of the NHL.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sheesh, makes me wonder how many "Tan-gays" Craig Janney would rate. That was the softest player in the history of the NHL.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

The all time Tan-gay prize goes to Glenn Anderson. With Wendy Clark a close second
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
isnt that a little premature? i mean Olli is a proven top 3, even if Backlund comes out strong theres always the chance of the "sophomore slump" (hopefully not) i dont think Darryl would risk the future on one great year by Backlund
Yeah right, I'm advocating waiting and you're calling it premature. Here it is again, if we have another centre waiting in the wings, it won't be so critical if we can't sign Jokinen. Right now Backlund is mostly potential, but after a couple of months playing in the pros, we'll have a better idea if and when he can step in as a top centre.
Vulcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
OilKiller
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not that fat fata...ugh

But Okotoker!

OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
WilliPlett
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Leave Ference where he is, we have better d in the farm.
WilliPlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
Bar-None
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a good thing Sutter doesn't reference this board for possible ideas, or at this rate we'd have 9-11 centremen by now.

How about our lack-lustre left side? If memory serves me correctly Kariya is UFA at the end of the season playing for a 'could be sellers' Blues team. He was banged to hell for most of the season last year, but if healthy towards trade deadline could be a piece we need. Given recent injury issues and possibly entering the twilight of his career, he could come relatively cheap, as apposed to leaving St. Louis for free at the end of the season.

Just sayin'
Bar-None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #18
Sutter_in_law
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah right, I'm advocating waiting and you're calling it premature. Here it is again, if we have another centre waiting in the wings, it won't be so critical if we can't sign Jokinen. Right now Backlund is mostly potential, but after a couple of months playing in the pros, we'll have a better idea if and when he can step in as a top centre.
all im saying is even if Backlund tears it up in the first couple months i dont think it will have a huge impact on negotiations with Jokinen because a few months in the pros isnt really a great indicator of how a player will be in the long term. however if Darryl feels Jokinen is producing and fitting in with the team after a few months he will do whatever he can to make a good deal happen because Olli is proven star.

btw this is nothing against Backlund - im hugely optimistic about him and cant wait to see him in the bigs for us.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
jamesblue
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
When ever I think of soft players to ever play in the NHL one name for some reason always comes to mind is Nikolai Borschevsky. He had the strength of a 12 year old girl.
jamesblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
OilKiller
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliPlett View Post
Leave Ference where he is, we have better d in the farm.
No love for Okotoker? ....for shame...

OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jokinen, mangled thread, whiff