Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Thrashers and the Atlanta Flames Alumni

a lot of talking of using the old "A" in Abbotsford ...

story about the Flames Alumni getting used by the Thrashers.

http://blogs.ajc.com/iceman-thrasher...l-aflame-pt-i/

Silly Thrasher stance or sour grapes from people that still want to matter?

part II

http://blogs.ajc.com/iceman-thrasher...thrashers_blog
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Badger Bob
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It makes sense for the Thrashers to have almuni relations with former Atlanta Flames personnel. Many of them still live in the area. Anytime there's discussion of "All Time Flames," a lot of Calgary fans act as if the franchise was never anywhere else before 1980. Maybe many of them didn't even know.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would like to see the Calgary Flames do something to recognize the Atlanta Years. Perhaps a mural or photo display in the Saddledome concourse.

For me, the history of the Flames begins in 1972, not 1980. Our name and colours have their roots in Georgia, and that should be acknowledged.

Last edited by Howie_16; 05-14-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Id like to see Thrashers vs Flames game next year.

1 game in Calgary with the Thrashers wearing the Flaming A and Flames with Flaming C
1 game in Atlanta with the Thrashers wearing their Unis and Flames with Flaming A
Da_Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard that the Flames will wear the Fiery 'A' four times next season. One of those games has to be against Atlanta I'd hope.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
I would like to see the Calgary Flames do something to recognize the Atlanta Years. Perhaps a mural or photo display in the Saddledome concourse.

For me, the history of the Flames begins in 1972, not 1980. Our name and colours have their roots in Georgia, and that should be acknowledged.
No trying to be a dick but why should we care?

I don't think anyone in Jersey reminisces about the days in KC or Colorado.

Dallas fans don't get all worked up about missing out on drafting Guy Lafleur back when they were the Seals before they were the Barons before merging with the North Stars before moving to Dallas.

LA Dodger fans don't think about the white and blue from Brooklyn nor do SF Giants fans think about their former cross town rivals from the Bronx when they were the New York Giants.

A business was sold and bought and moved. What is there to honour in Calgary? It should be the Thrashers who honour them.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Barnes, I will grant you the Dallas example, but what do you expect from the home of America's Bandwagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
This write up on the Prudential Center, the new home of the Devils in Newark, is found on the Ultimate Sports Road Trip website (www.thesportsroadtrip.com): "Don't let the gritty rough and tumble reputation of Newark fool you. "The Rock" shines like a pretty penny on the downtown scene here, with a huge video LED board on the facade which can be seen miles away. Inside, the concourses are replete with dramatic murals and sports art, history of the franchise across three markets, and jerseys of every high school hockey team in the state. Their team isn't too bad either."

This picture was taken from the inside of the PC: http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/nj4024.jpg

Quote:
LA Dodger fans don't think about the white and blue from Brooklyn nor do SF Giants fans think about their former cross town rivals from the Bronx when they were the New York Giants.
From the same site:

#7 AT&T PARK
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA
SAN FRANCICSO GIANTS
Another of the new ballparks with the same retro formula - brick facade, wrought iron gates and kelly green seats. AT&T Park does not disappoint, rising to the top of the list with a great setting right on San Francisco Bay and a world class city steps from the entrance. The Giants celebrate their history going back to their days in New York with tasteful displays and memorabilia. Best fan zone game area in baseball.

#27 DODGER STADIUM
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
LOS ANGELES DODGERS
"The Taj Mahal of Baseball"- this stadium is built right into the side of a mountain and the architecture is truly one of a kind. Historical murals along outfield walls commemorate franchise's history to its days in Brooklyn. Oh and those "Dodger Dogs"? Completely over hyped!

Last edited by Howie_16; 05-15-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

To answer the question posed, I think the Thrashers should embrace the old personnel more than they are. It can't hurt, plus it sounds like they used their names and credentials to get the team there in the first place.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
GoFlambe
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After reading the comments to those postings, I'm happy that there are others that agree.

The Thrashers should honor the Flames. They are a part of the history of hockey in their town.

The Flames should also honor the Flames. They are a part of their history period.

Go Flames Go!
GoFlambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
. Inside, the concourses are replete with dramatic murals and sports art, history of the franchise across three markets, and [/I][I]jerseys of every high school hockey team in the state.
The Devils new stadium is really impressive when it comes to this. There are local team jersey's everywhere, and the entire concourse is filled with great little pieces of hockey memorabilia of this nature. Hockey might not be the biggest sport in the region, but the way they honor the sport beyond the Devils is very nice to see.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I've heard that the Flames will wear the Fiery 'A' four times next season. One of those games has to be against Atlanta I'd hope.
out of left field 3rd jersey random tidbit????????!!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Badger Bob
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No trying to be a dick
Then don't be one.

Quote:
Winning three Stanley Cups and having a few HOF-caliber players will fog the memories of the expansion days. Oh, and none other than Lanny McDonald played for that sad sack Colorado Rockies team, that you referenced.

Quote:
Dallas fans don't get all worked up about missing out on drafting Guy Lafleur back when they were the Seals before they were the Barons before merging with the North Stars before moving to Dallas.
No, but they did keep the team name, which the Flames also did. So, whether or not the geographical location is the same, it's still the same franchise. The connection still exists.

Quote:
Poor example. Although the roots lie in NY, the Dodgers and Giants remains one of baseball's top rivalries.

Quote:
A business was sold and bought and moved. What is there to honour in Calgary? It should be the Thrashers who honour them.
Both can, and it's already happened on a couple of occasions when the two teams met. Cliff Fletcher didn't throw in the towel, and think, "well, damn, I'd better seek other employment!" as opposed to continuing the job he took years before.

Maybe there's a need for some to have a certain Calgary chauvism about the Flames, and that's fine. It just shouldn't take anything away from those of us, who were fans of the team, since before they made the jump and continue to follow them ever since.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badger Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found an interesting photo of Flames history, one that should be displayed on the concourse of the Saddledome.

This picture, I think, is from the Atlanta Flames first regular season home game at the Omni against the Buffalo Sabres on October 14, 1972. NHL president Clarence Campbell was on hand for the ceremonial puck drop. The game itself ended as a 1-1 tie.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that Jimmy Carter (with the big smile behind the Flames captain)?

He would have been Governor of Georgia at the time.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No trying to be a dick but why should we care?

Just to add to the history, after a few seasons following the merger, the North Stars franchise was split and that part of it went to the San Jose new franchise, so the Seals ended up back in the Bay area.
So Dallas has little to do with the old Seals franchise other than being involved in a quirk of history.
Vulcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Just to add to the history, after a few seasons following the merger, the North Stars franchise was split and that part of it went to the San Jose new franchise, so the Seals ended up back in the Bay area.
So Dallas has little to do with the old Seals franchise other than being involved in a quirk of history.
Yeah, few people remember that the North Stars, after the '91 Stanley Cup Final, were essentially split down the middle and then both the Sharks and North Stars participated in the expansion draft that summer.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Is that Jimmy Carter (with the big smile behind the Flames captain)?

He would have been Governor of Georgia at the time.

Good call. I think you are right.