http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...uper_schedule/

SJ is #1

Islanders at #30 at virtually half the distance as the Sharks
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess this can sort of put to rest the theory that being in the Eastern Conference is more beneficial due to the easier travel schedule.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Either Calgary really gets screwed or Edmonton is getting preferential treatment if Calgary has to travel 3000 more miles then Edmonton when taking geography into account.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:
Send a message via AIM to calgARI

Makes you wonder why there are noticeably fewer 3 games in 4 nights to western canada this year. That sort of thing somewhat neutralized the travel difference.

CALGARY
Stanley Cup Champions: 1989
calgARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top 8 are Western Conference teams.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
dustygoon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I guess this can sort of put to rest the theory that being in the Eastern Conference is more beneficial due to the easier travel schedule.
Not so fast....the impact wears on teams as the season progresses. I think after 80+ games and playoff games, Eastern teams do have an advantage.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
BCReefer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think distance traveled is the only factor, how about the stupidity of some of these trips. How can any team play in 1 country and then the next night in the other country. That is worse as you just don't get any sleep.

Also no Western team should ever have to play an early (1:00 P.M.) game as it is 10:00 local time, again this is worse to me versus a later game.
BCReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Not so fast....the impact wears on teams as the season progresses. I think after 80+ games and playoff games, Eastern teams do have an advantage.
Questionable. The Stanley Cup differential between East and West has been fairly even (if not slanted in the West's favor) over the past few decades.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Questionable. The Stanley Cup differential between East and West has been fairly even (if not slanted in the West's favor) over the past few decades.
Whhaaat?

Last year Pittsburgh played Ottawa (distance: 653 km) then New York (distance: 507 km) and then Detroit (distance: 336 km) and all cities were in the same time zone.

Detroit played Nashville (706 km) then Colorado (1856 km) and then Pittsburgh (336 km).

In 2006-07 Ottawa played Pittsburgh (653 km), New Jersey (535) and then Anaheim (3789). Anaheim played Minesota (2422) Vancouver (1769 km) and then Ottawa (3789).

It's not even close when it comes to Stanley Cup finalists and distance traveled.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Easy to say when a franchise like the Islanders is the example. Them sucking has everything to do with poor management and next to nothing to do with travel schedule.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
FanIn80
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How, exactly?

Quote:
This is just flat-out wrong.

1) Check the numbers. Use actual math this time.
2) If you're referring to Detroit switching to the West, the travel disadvantage added to the West side was offset by Toronto switching to the East.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-12-2009 at 03:27 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Either Calgary really gets screwed or Edmonton is getting preferential treatment if Calgary has to travel 3000 more miles then Edmonton when taking geography into account.
I wonder if these figures take into account the drive from Leduc to Edmonton.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Send a message via MSN to OBCT Send a message via Yahoo to OBCT

Well, this doesn't exactly quash my theory that the Western Conference has been consistently "better" than the Eastern Conference since the mid-90s. I'm biased and I don't have stats to back my theory up, but it is there anyhow.

Maybe the extra travel during the season can better prepare a team for the difficulty of a best-of-7 playoff series, but I doubt it. I'd rather have the Isles' travel schedule than the Sharks' - I don't care what the standings indicate. In my opinion both these teams are where they are in the standings in spite of their travel sched, not because of it.

Here's a hypothetical ... considering San Jose's comparably mediocre road record, how good might their overall record be if they were playing in New York instead of San Jose? Less travel = more road wins for the Sharks, methinks.

Last edited by OBCT; 01-12-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot the question mark
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I may be completely incorrect in my recollection, but since this comes up every year, I believe that it pretty much rotates between which of the three WC teams gets hosed for travel.

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Flames travel this coming week is insanity...Go to San Jose, home against Phoenix, than on the road to Colorado, than back to Calgary. One stretch like that easily puts on the extra 3000 miles more than the Oilers travel. Why it's not San Jose than to Colorado, than home to play Phoenix...who know's, but that would cut the travel miles down a fair bit right there.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
badnarik
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

it's not like these guys are flying coach and staying in cheap motels.
badnarik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badnarik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
3thirty
First Line Centre

Exp:

no surprise here
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote