Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default UofA makes a move ot block god from graduation

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...15466-sun.html

Quote:
...which has petitioned the University of Alberta to remove the reference to God in the traditional convocation speech delivered by the chancellor to new graduates.

In the speech, the chancellor urges those in mortar boards to use their newly granted parchments for "the glory of God and the honour of your country."
About time too. There's so many religions out there, it makes no sense to have convocation all about god and Christianity and stuff.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Meh, The glory of God could mean any God that you want it to mean. Doesn't have to be 'Christianity and stuff'.

It really only singles out atheists. And I guess more philosophical beliefs like Buddism and Taoism (as they don't have 'gods' per se). But they are taught so peaceful they probably don't mind.

One of my biggest complaints is mixing God with politics, for sure. God shouldn't factor into our rules as a society. But I also find it funny when everyone wants to change statues and memorials and speeches and creeds in situations like this.

I mean, there is such a thing as being too PC. Some people just need to chill a little bit.

It makes me laugh that atheists can be as angry and unwavering in their beliefs when that's the biggest problem they have against religious people.

Last edited by Daradon; 11-01-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Meh, The glory of God could mean any God that you want it to mean. Doesn't have to be 'Christianity and stuff'.

It really only singles out atheists. And I guess more philosophical beliefs like Buddism and Taoism (as they don't have 'gods' per se). But they are taught so peaceful they probably don't mind.

One of my biggest complaints is mixing God with politics, for sure. God shouldn't factor into our rules as a society. But I also find it funny when everyone wants to change statues and memorials and speeches and creeds in situations like this.

I mean, there is such a thing as being too PC. Some people just need to chill a little bit.

It makes me laugh that atheists can be as angry and unwavering in their beliefs when that's the biggest problem they have against religious people.
I think you're swinging the pendulum too far the other way here, the point is about neutrality, not appeasing the atheists. Keeping things neutral is probably the most chill thing to do.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post

I think we can agree the all out atheist wingnuts are as bad as the religious zealots. They both try and shove their beliefs on you.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
I think you're swinging the pendulum too far the other way here, the point is about neutrality, not appeasing the atheists. Keeping things neutral is probably the most chill thing to do.
Well, I don't really believe in God the way most others do, not the kind that would be mentioned in that one sentance and I'm fine with it. I don't mind keeping things around that show our heritage or the beliefs of others.

But I understand your point. I just wish people could show a little tolerance instead of making sure everything is 'neutral' because they feel left out or infringed upon. Yes there are some issues where it's important. But I think this one is pretty silly. It's not affecting anyone at all. It's a big stink about nothing really.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
I think we can agree the all out atheist wingnuts are as bad as the religious zealots. They both try and shove their beliefs on you.
Whose beliefs are being shoved on anyone if graduation ceremonies don't mention 'god'?
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

God keep our land (and our universities) glorious and free!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What a stupid fricken waste of time, couldn't they go and feed the hungry or study or something.

I lump these people into the same class of lunatics that that want to outlaw the phrase Merry Christmas, and change the name Halloween to Black and White Day.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Whose beliefs are being shoved on anyone if graduation ceremonies don't mention 'god'?
So our two choices are:
"Shoving theist beliefs on people by mentioning God"
or
"Shoving atheist beliefs on people by not mentioning God"?

If "not mentioning God" is shoving atheistic beliefs on people, I gave a demo last week of the new system I designed and not once did I mention God. I will have to apologize to my clients for preaching my atheism for two hours.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

Speaking of silliness...
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What a stupid fricken waste of time, couldn't they go and feed the hungry or study or something.

I lump these people into the same class of lunatics that that want to outlaw the phrase Merry Christmas, and change the name Halloween to Black and White Day.
How's the air up there?

Keep on reading the article...

Quote:
...University of Alberta Navigators, a campus Bible study group, said he would be OK with the change.

"In all reality this is a secular campus and to remove that (reference) doesn't impinge on the honour of God in any way," said Tan.

But he said he's keeping his eye on the bigger picture to make sure a God-free convocation address doesn't "open the floodgates to restrict us in our practices on campus and the right for us to share our beliefs with others."
Yeah some lunatic opinion

I actually know the guy who's putting this forth, he's actually quite a balanced individual and this club for him is an extra-curricular activity. God forbid someone take an interest other then besides his studies.

Did you ever join any clubs back in university, Captain? Or did you just study all day?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
After reading the article it appears the British news are overblowing it in typical British media fashion.

He just wants to research the effect of the proliferation of myth and lack of science in children's literature etc and whether or not it causes children to ignore the evidence when making decisions. Obviously he probably thinks that it does but could be something worth studying.

As for the topic at hand, I'm all for changing it to a godless version as long as it costs the students/taxpayers ZERO dollars.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's just not that big of a deal. there are more important things to be concerned about.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
it's just not that big of a deal. there are more important things to be concerned about.
They are a Atheists and Agnostics club, what the hell else do you think they do?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Personally I'd tell the fellow to go to another school if he didn't like the graduation speech. I really don't care whether God is included or not but common isn't this whole thing kind of a waste of time.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
They are a Atheists and Agnostics club, what the hell else do you think they do?
Well since they don't waste all their time going to church or praying I would think they need something to do.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
As for the topic at hand, I'm all for changing it to a godless version as long as it costs the students/taxpayers ZERO dollars.
Nope it wouldn't

Atheists don't like it / want it in their speech (the convocation is about the students ... no?), the Religious people don't disagree, ceremony takes it out. Pretty simple, saves 5 seconds and pleases everyone involved.

For me, I don't get annoyed or anything about religion dropping in here and there, but I do roll my eyes at it. Some people here, obviously, see it as an issue and took 5 seconds out of their life to do something about it. Oh the humanity.

Of coarse, except for "lunatics" here who do seem to have a problem with it - when it has nothing to do with them.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
you're right, doesn't sound like a real fun crowd. freakin organized un-religion.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
you're right, doesn't sound like a real fun crowd. freakin organized un-religion.
Meh people do what they want to do. I don't know how many hours I've spent on a hockey board talking to people don't know.

I can't say very much about the people or the club since I have no idea what they do, but a quick google and I found this interesting:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~atheists/

There will be a large rally in the U of A Quad for the "Stand Up, Take Action against poverty and inequality" event on Friday October 17th between 11am and 1pm.

... which is a interesting given CaptainCrunch's post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Also looking at their "About us"

About the University of Alberta Atheists and Agnostics
The U of A Atheists and Agnostics was founded to provide a community for atheists, agnostics, skeptics, humanists, naturalists, and all other freethinkers. We seek to further acceptance of atheists in todays community, and to further scientific knowledge in the community abroad.

Our organization does not seek to vilify religious institutions, however we do hold open and rational discussions with interested parties.

For me though, religion and all things associated with it are all boring and a waste of time to me. But hey, I guess whatever makes them happy.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #20
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I agree with him. I don't read those books or watch those movies, and while I would not prevent my children from reading or watching them, I would make sure they know it's all fake (etc).

It's antiscience at its finest and I would argue it contributes to the dangerous credulity present in our society, and all the dangerous manifestations of that credulity (religion, pseudo-science et al).

As for the OP, I would have it taken out if it was up to me. While we're at it, take the word god out of our national anthem as well like it originally was.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote