Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:
Default Best team in NHL history?

I mentioned this in another thread, but this deserves its own. The Lightning are blitzing hard, which is good. But this email sent by one of their corporate account managers takes the cake. This was forwarded to a buddy of mine near Tampa.

I believe this is called the triumph of hope over reality.

Donít miss out on the hottest tickets in town, since the Lightning have welcomed their new owners, there has been nothing but excitement over here at the Forum. In just one week we have added Power forwards Ryan Malone, Radim Vrbata and Gary Roberts. We have also drafted rookie phenom Steve Stamkos and signed Goalie Olaf Kolzig. This team has gone from being in the basement of the NHL to one the best teams in the league, and maybe one of the best teams in NHL history!! Now is the time to come on board in our luxury seating areas.
I have a few seat locations on the glass in Row A or in the second row from the glass, row B, and in the exclusive AFS Club. Below are the prices

Full Season Row A $12,999 per seat
Full Season Row B $7,499 per seat
Half Season Row B $3912 per seat
Full Season AFS CLUB $6500 per seat
Half Season AFS Club $3250 per seat
Full Season Row D just $2000 per seat

All seats include the ability to secure the top seats for all the concerts to hit the St. Pete Times Forum. If you are interested in this or know someone that might want it please let me know or feel free to forward this email along. This is going to an amazing season and you cannot miss out. If you have any questions please let me know and I will be more then happy to answer them.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah, a power forward like Radim Vrbata was the one piece of the puzzle the 76 Canadiens were missing...
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Rey Comeau
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
This team has gone from being in the basement of the NHL to one the best teams in the league, and maybe one of the best teams in NHL history!!
Well, they did cover their butts by sneaking in that "maybe"

That's some hypey hype all right.
Rey Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brutal, that kind of thing MIGHT work for one year but how many repeat buyers can they really get if they fail to live up (likely) to that sort of hype?

Claeren.
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Ouch, justified by signing an aging goalie off his prime, an aging forward nowhere near his prime, and two top 6 guys (if).

Was this written by the Oilers PR department by any chance? Just wondering from times in the past they were serving the kool-aid and of course the over the top faith they have in the 'young guns' to carry the team this year.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hmm .. as a business owner, I've always lived by the adage 'Underpromise and Overdeliver'. This is the best way to ensure LONG TERM customer loyalty.

I guess TB is thinking screw long term ... let's milk 'em for all we can this year! Cash grab before a relocation? Hmmm
scotty2hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Rey Comeau
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Yeah, a power forward like Radim Vrbata was the one piece of the puzzle the 76 Canadiens were missing...
Funny line!

I guess in that same vein, the '82 Islanders were a Filip Kuba away from true greatness.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best team in NHL history?

2009 Stanley Cup Champions: Tampa Bay Lightning
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

76/77 Habs

60w-8l-12t
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really thought this was going to be one of those fun off-season discussion someone tries to get going. Instead it's the Tampa Bay Lightning losing their minds.

Entertaining either way.

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny, i thought this thread was going to be about this last season's Detroit Red Wings who could make an argument for that title. Tougher league than ever, more parity than ever, more teams than ever yet totally dominated the NHL from almost start to finish. If it hadn't been for that one cold streak it wouldn't even be a question in my mind...

Claeren.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post
Funny, i thought this thread was going to be about this last season's Detroit Red Wings who could make an argument for that title. Tougher league than ever, more parity than ever, more teams than ever yet totally dominated the NHL from almost start to finish. If it hadn't been for that one cold streak it wouldn't even be a question in my mind...
Claeren.
I agree, you could probably throw them up there in the top 5.

I think when it comes right down to it, it's impossible to say who is the best of the very best teams. Just like when you try to pick best player ever. Everyone has their own argument (usually valid) and opinion, and ultimately you're comparing apples and oranges. But everyone can usually agree on the top five. Or at least if you poll a large group of people, there are 3-5 that stick out a lot more than the others.

For me it's always been a toss up between the 76/77 Habs and the 83/84 or 84/85 Oilers (I know I don't like it any more than most here but...)
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

"That's what you have to say to get fans when you are in a pathetic hockey market."

-unnamed GM

Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
Rey Comeau
First Line Centre

Exp:

This year's Red Wings were a good team and their record in an age of parity is a terrific accomplishment, but IMO they just don't stack up with the all-time great teams. Just one statistical example, they were plus-73 in goals for/against. The '76-77 Canadiens were plus-216 and featured nine future Hall of Fame members. The 1970-71 Bruins outscored opponents by a 2-to-1 margin on the season, had a record 76-goal season from Phil Esposito and an amazing 139-point, plus-124 (that's right, plus-124) season by Bobby Orr.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is always hard to go between era's...

I do know that this Red Wing team would have beaten any of those other teams straight up in a 7 game series but that comparison is not fair either, i realize.

Claeren.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those early 80's Islander teams were awesome, too.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
Rey Comeau
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post
It is always hard to go between era's...

I do know that this Red Wing team would have beaten any of those other teams straight up in a 7 game series but that comparison is not fair either, i realize.

Claeren.
Yeah, there were some pretty bad skating defencemen in the 70s and 80s and the goaltending (and the equipment) was far inferior, so comparisons are hard. The deck was stacked against expansion teams in the old days, so the better established clubs could run wild on the weak sisters. Plus they stayed together for years.

Boiling it down to the fairest criteria -- comparison to your peers -- the Canadiens of the 70s had a lot of great players and many good ones. The 2007-08 Wings? An excellent team, but the ratio of great players doesn't measure up IMO. I don't think they're even as good or deep as the Detroit Cup teams from the 90s with Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Kozlov, Larionov, etc. (and Lidstrom, too of course).

Either way, a fun debate to have.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
Rey Comeau
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Those early 80's Islander teams were awesome, too.
No doubt. A handful of top stars, some excellent role players and a goalie who came up big every spring and raised his game. I think they fall a little short in talent depth to the '70s Habs, but they sure were a team in the true sense of the word.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #19
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey Comeau View Post
Boiling it down to the fairest criteria -- comparison to your peers -- the Canadiens of the 70s had a lot of great players and many good ones. The 2007-08 Wings? An excellent team, but the ratio of great players doesn't measure up IMO.
But i think you have to make it comparison to your peers RELATIVE to the ability to keep players/teams together.

That swings it back (at least partially) in Detroit's favour again IMO.

Montreal had every advantage in assembling good talent, keeping it and then trading it away right before expiry for more talent again. Todays NHL, IMO, is a far harsher environment for team/talent assembly and roster maintenance relative to other teams.

Claeren.