Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default XBox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

I'm looking for a little CP advice on this one. Mods, if you feel this could be in another thread feel free to move it.

For my Christmas Eve birthday, I have the choice of getting one of these gaming systems. As I do not know much about either, I figured I'd ask to see which people on here like more. Do both gaming systems ever have the same games? Which would you say has better graphics? Which one overall is the better system?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a tough call to reduce to a question of which is the better system.

If you like games, Xbox360. If you want the better media system, the PS3.

MS is trying to make the xbox a better media system (addition of xvid/divx) while Sony is trying to get some games out for the PS.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

well put llama. I personally went with the PS3.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

I have a 360 myself, and it kicks ass. I have a few buddys that have the PS3 and they say its a paperweight. Most of them use it for blu-ray. If you want to game, like llama said, get the 360. Great sports, racing, fighting, rpgs, guitar hero... the list goes on. The main thing is that Microsoft has bought the rights to most of the best franchises out there, like GTA, Final Fantasy, etc. Personally, even if they were the exact same price (the 360 is cheaper), I would still get the 360. I've heard from people that the PS3 has better graphics but the difference is so minimal I can't tell, and I have a pretty discerning eye. I love my 360. I've put a ton of mileage on it already, and it's a blast.

EDIT: This should be a poll.

Last edited by alltherage; 11-27-2007 at 07:21 PM.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
I have a 360 myself, and it kicks ass. I have a few buddys that have the PS3 and they say its a paperweight. Most of them use it for blu-ray. If you want to game, like llama said, get the 360. Great sports, racing, fighting, rpgs, guitar hero... the list goes on. The main thing is that Microsoft has bought the rights to most of the best franchises out there, like GTA, Final Fantasy, etc. Personally, even if they were the exact same price (the 360 is cheaper), I would still get the 360. I've heard from people that the PS3 has better graphics but the difference is so minimal I can't tell, and I have a pretty discerning eye. I love my 360. I've put a ton of mileage on it already, and it's a blast.

EDIT: This should be a poll.
I agree for the most part. MS doesn't have rights to GTA and Final Fantasy though, GTA will be multi-platform and Final Fantasy is still PS3 as far as anyone knows (except for the announced Wii title and the FFXI MMOG on the 360).

Graphics difference is next to nill, most games you can't tell. But the 360 has a much larger game library at this point. Given the HUGE library of titles for the PS2, eventually that should be fixed but who knows.

Basically if there's a franchise you can't live without (Halo, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, whatever), then go with that one, otherwise for gaming now the 360 has the better selection of games.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

PS3 doubles as a good home entertainment center as well since it has a BlueRay player and support for DIVX. It's easily easy to surf the net on your TV with a PS3.

When it comes to games, it depends what game franchises do you play? A lot of the big names are exclusive to PS3 while the only big names attached to XBox (because Microsoft gave bags of money to them) are Halo and Mass Effect.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Graphics difference is next to nill, most games you can't tell.
Not only that, but from what I've read on game review sites, many games (the EA ones in particular) run at a higher/smoother frame rate on the 360 than on the PS3.

I will also add the Xbox live experience to the mix. Hundreds of thousands of players online at any given time- I was skeptical at first about how good it could be and how much it would enhance my gaming experience. Now I'm very happy I bought a 360 and that is one of the main reasons.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Its a pretty easy call to get a 360 at this stage in the game, I'd say the PS3 has finally gained some momentum, and seems to be over the earlier frame rate issues. Still, the 360 is the best gaming system for now.

The PS3 might be better in a couple years when the number of games released catches up and if programmers start using its supposedly stronger processing power.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't bother asking what everyone else likes, just look at the list of games available for each system. I personally like the games coming out on PS3 (MGS4, FF13, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Kingdom Hearts) more so I went with that system. Both are fairly similar in terms of overall specs so it pretty much comes down to games.
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with PS3....not really sure why, I think it's because of the future potential.
It's supposed to have the capability to be leaps and bounds better than the 360. But like Cerbral says, just look at what games you want and go with your pick....
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

The PS3 is pretty much a dead platform, at least as far as games are concerned. Sales in all regions have been abysmal, so many developers who were previously planning to make PS3-exclusive games have either decided to release for both the PS3 and the 360 or just the 360 alone.

Also, because Microsoft had a year head start, there's TONS of games out for the 360 that are really great. For the PS3, there's only really a few hits -- Resistance, Heavenly Sword, and Ratchet and Clank are about it right now. If you're into sports games, all the major titles are available for both platforms, so you can't go wrong either way there. The Xbox has -- by far -- the better online platform, so if internet multiplayer is your thing, that should be a consideration. Xbox Live Arcade and the Marketplace area also really, really cool.

Really, the only thing the PS3 has going for it is the ability to play Blu-Ray DVDs (the Xbox can play HD-DVD with an optional attachment), but it cames at a pretty steep price premium.

One final thing: the new 40GB PS3s that are currently on the market are not backwards compatible with PS2 games, since Sony cut that feature in an attempt to reduce costs.

Right now, I think it's pretty much a no-brainer; the Xbox 360 is the better of the two systems. That might change after a few years (although it's not looking good for Sony at this point), but you're getting the system now, not two years from now.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #12
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I agree for the most part. MS doesn't have rights to GTA and Final Fantasy though, GTA will be multi-platform and Final Fantasy is still PS3 as far as anyone knows (except for the announced Wii title and the FFXI MMOG on the 360).
Lets not forget about Gran Turismo 5. All indications are that this will make Forza 2 look like Pole Position. If you're a die hard racer, the PS3 is the way to go for this reason alone.

Here's a great in depth article on the development of GT5 from Car and Driver. Goes into great detail why they've taken as long as they have.
“In the past, each car was like a sheet, all just one color,” says Yamauchi, who is also an avid amateur photographer. “We are now taking it to a much higher level, studying the feel and texture of the materials.” There’s a difference between how light plays over metallic paint compared with a plastic headlight lens or piece of rubber trim. At the edges of body panels, car paint tends to bead slightly, causing light reflections to spear outward. Going around soft corners, the sun’s reflection pinches up and then spreads out again.
What the interaction of industry and nature renders so casually in the real world, Turismo must duplicate entirely by mouse-click, car by car, scene by scene, angle by angle. Says Yamauchi: “For Gran Turismo 1, one car was one day’s work for one man. For GT3, one car was one man’s work for 30 days. For GT5, one car is one man’s work for 180 days.”
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...game-boys.html
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

First off, do you have a good gaming PC? It doesn't sound like you do, but if so then the 360 is a waste of money. Essentially every good 360 game makes it to the PC eventually and the PC versions are always better (better controls, better graphics, mods, etc.).

The next question is what type of games do you like to play? If you like first person shooters or racing games then it's the 360. That's essentially all the system is. There's the odd game that doesn't fit in that genre, but they're few and far between.

If you're more into action, platformers, and RPGs then the PS3 is clearly the better option.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
First off, do you have a good gaming PC? It doesn't sound like you do, but if so then the 360 is a waste of money. Essentially every good 360 game makes it to the PC eventually and the PC versions are always better (better controls, better graphics, mods, etc.).

Minus NHL 07/NHL 08
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

well, i am on the 360 platform. and to be clear...microsoft owned bungie and therefore halo was an exclusive because they could. as far as "exclusive" goes, the only exclusives going forward are either because one company paid for a time frame or they own the development house. there is no sense to be exclusive for any other reason.

a couple of things not mentioned. the 360 acts as a media extender for vista and xp media centre, and for the new windows home server. if you like to stream, this might matter.

also, with the xna development platform, you will continue to see relatively simultaneous releases on the pc and xbox. you will start to see more windows games come out on the xbox as well as vice versa.

i am biased on this, but i would see what games your posse are playing...and some hands on time.

don't forget the wii...it is also for certain things as well.

Last edited by McG; 11-27-2007 at 10:43 PM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #16
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The next question is what type of games do you like to play? If you like first person shooters or racing games then it's the 360. That's essentially all the system is. There's the odd game that doesn't fit in that genre, but they're few and far between.

If you're more into action, platformers, and RPGs then the PS3 is clearly the better option.
I'd say first person shooter games are #1 for me. Call of Duty 4 is the first game I'd buy, no question. I also like sporting games...NHL, Madden etc etc.

No, I don't have a gaming PC. It sounds like 360 is the clear choice?

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #17
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
I'd say first person shooter games are #1 for me. Call of Duty 4 is the first game I'd buy, no question. I also like sporting games...NHL, Madden etc etc.

If you pretty much only like shooters and sports games, the 360 is likely your choice (although Unreal Tournament and Haze are both coming out on the PS3 soon). The 360 appears to be the platform to beat for FPSs and sports games but the PS3 still seems to have the leg up when it comes to RPGs and platformers.
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #18
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post

Yes it does to me. COD4 is an absolutely superb game. If you like FPS's then you will love it.

I own a pretty decent gaming PC and a 360 and don't consider the console a waste of money. It is much better playing multi-player sports games on the console than the PC. Also the likes of NHL08 and Halo is actually better on the 360 than the PC. I also don't want to wait until great RPG's like Mass Effect comes out on the computer. To each their own.

From everything you've said a 360 is a no brainer choice for you.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #19
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's only a waste of money if the games you want to play are on or are going to be on PC. 9 of my 12 360 games aren't available on the PC and chances are wont ever be.

And I still plan on getting a good gaming machine after Christmas because as long as a game is on the PC I'll get it over the console version unless it's a sports game which now that I've had my 360 for over year prefer to play on my 360 despite not being able to use graphic mods. But really the only game I would care about that is the NHL series and the last couple of years it hasn't changed much graphically from NHL 06.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #20
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
If you pretty much only like shooters and sports games, the 360 is likely your choice (although Unreal Tournament and Haze are both coming out on the PS3 soon). The 360 appears to be the platform to beat for FPSs and sports games but the PS3 still seems to have the leg up when it comes to RPGs and platformers.
What the heck are these?

Can you tell I'm not a huge gamer?