Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default What kind of goalie mask do you have?

I know there are a few goalie's on the board, and having recently signed up for a goalie forum. Reading some of the posts that are up on the other board, I was rather shocked to see a few people refering to the Itech 1200, and 1400 (I have the 1200 I believe) at the Widowmaker. A gentleman in Texas was playing and took a puck in the middle of the cage and it collapsed leaving him blind in his right eye, now that was the cage but people on the board argued that the mask itself wasn't overly safe. So I stop babbling on here it got me a little concerned and I was curious as to what masks people on here have/would recomend should I decide to buy a different mask?
Gravitykillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Dominic Hasek's style. Just a regular helmet with a cage. It does the trick.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I think mines swedish or czech. I'm not sure, but it was free
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

both my son and I wear Itechs, but I also have an old Van Velden that might wife had painted for me. you can see it in my sig
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really only 4 goalies on the entire board? wow I didn't expect that.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Tower
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jason does well with his..... Hasn't broken and look what he does!

Don't mind me...
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I play with an Eddy. It better protect my head for the $350 I paid for it
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently got an Olie mask (Kolzig's company). Bought it off a store in Toronto through e-bay brand new for about $350 CDN (including tax/shipping).

http://www.oliesports.com/c220783p16461459.2.html

There's the link to the mask.

The design looks incredibly better than the stuff Itech puts out and I've had absolutely no problems with the mask thus far. I'd highly recommend it.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP
I recently got an Olie mask (Kolzig's company). Bought it off a store in Toronto through e-bay brand new for about $350 CDN (including tax/shipping).

http://www.oliesports.com/c220783p16461459.2.html

There's the link to the mask.

The design looks incredibly better than the stuff Itech puts out and I've had absolutely no problems with the mask thus far. I'd highly recommend it.
I'm pretty sure that company isn't affiliated with Olaf Kolzig:

Quote:
Olie has been owned and operated under Oldfield Sports Group since 1994. Over the past 12 years Olie has grown to become a recognized leader in goaltender mask manufacturing.

We created Olie Sports with one goal in mind, to provide athletes involved in contact intensive sports with the very best in protective headgear. We feel that the helmet is the single most important piece of equipment you can own. That is why our main committment has been and always will be the helmet.

We currently have 3 distinct goalie mask models available, and are very excited to be launching our 4th, the MA7000 Nemesis Series in 2005. With all of our SWEET paint jobs, the choices are endless. Our art department has set a very high standard for all of our competition to follow. To go along with our Nemesis goal mask series in 2005, we are introducing our Nemesis goal pad series. A great pad at an affordable price.

At Olie Sports we will continue to bring you new and innovative products at great prices.
If that's incorrect, I stand corrected...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitykillr
Really only 4 goalies on the entire board? wow I didn't expect that.
I used play goal but not anymore. As far as the mask I used like Dominicwasalreadytaken it was a Hasek style mask. I wanted a real goalie mask but my parents couldnt even afford to get me my own equipment and had to settle for used stuff given to me. We werent poor but they didnt have the extra money to get me new stuff besides skates.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
Ranchlander
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got an ollie as well. Pretty cool wolf paint job too. It's about 7 years old.
Ranchlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003
I'm pretty sure that company isn't affiliated with Olaf Kolzig:

If that's incorrect, I stand corrected...
Nah, it's probably correct.

Someone just told me it was Kolzig's brand and it was pretty easy to believe him based on the brand name. Regardless, still great masks for a very good price.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #13
Prototype

Exp:

I have a Rick DiPietro replica street hockey mask... if that counts...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #14
MattyK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was going to start a thread on Oilfans, but hell...you know our record for getting goalies to go to the Heckle :P

I started this spring playing goal, and bought a new helmet/cage combo to play in (since I hate switching equipment back and forth between goalie and skater bags). Two weeks ago, I took a hard shot to the head that dented the cage quite a bit and and took out two welds.

As a result, I'm in the market for a goalie mask.

There's some cheap Itech 1400's on eBay, but I've also read some bad things about the 1000/1200/1400 series. I've heard good things about the NXi Phantom, though ( http://www.nxidefensesystems.com/html/phantom.html ) Anyone use this mask or otherwise have any opinions on it? I know Tuxedo Source for Sports in Calgary sells them...

Edit: the parser felt the need to include the closing bracket in the URL above.

Last edited by MattyK; 08-15-2006 at 11:17 AM.
MattyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyK
I was going to start a thread on Oilfans, but hell...you know our record for getting goalies to go to the Heckle :P

I started this spring playing goal, and bought a new helmet/cage combo to play in (since I hate switching equipment back and forth between goalie and skater bags). Two weeks ago, I took a hard shot to the head that dented the cage quite a bit and and took out two welds.

As a result, I'm in the market for a goalie mask.

There's some cheap Itech 1400's on eBay, but I've also read some bad things about the 1000/1200/1400 series. I've heard good things about the NXi Phantom, though (http://www.nxidefensesystems.com/html/phantom.html). Anyone use this mask or otherwise have any opinions on it? I know Tuxedo Source for Sports in Calgary sells them...
I never had any problems with my 1200 but again I read bad things so I went on a search and for the $$$ the NXI mask is the best deal, I ordered one today off of there site and got an email within an hour asking what color of straps I wanted so they get a good recomend from me
Old 08-15-2006, 05:34 AM   #16
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you are purchasing any Itech goalie mask, stay away from any models that are in the 1000 or 2000 lines(1100,1200,1400,2500). You will just be looking to have a serious head injury if you use any of these helmets. There is a reason why they are nicknamed the widowmakers.

With the itech line, you need to purchase a 4000 series helmet at the bare mininum. The 4600 helmet is more than adequate. You can spend more and get a 960 or 961, which are one of the best out there.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #17
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyK
I know Tuxedo Source for Sports in Calgary sells them...
If your getting one of these masks order direct from NXI, I paid $343 plus I think I was told about $60 more for brokerage fee's and gst to come across the border, when I phoned Tuxedo they wanted either $540 or $590 I can't remember exactly which but it was either one.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #18
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitykillr
If your getting one of these masks order direct from NXI, I paid $343 plus I think I was told about $60 more for brokerage fee's and gst to come across the border, when I phoned Tuxedo they wanted either $540 or $590 I can't remember exactly which but it was either one.
I agree with him on this. Do not buy goalie equipment in Calgary. It is by far the most expensive city to buy gear. The Goalie Shop, Tuxedo, all of the sports shops in this city charge way to much for equipment. Better off going online or even ordering from Ontario, I can let you know of a couple good shops if you need.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #19
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice
I agree with him on this. Do not buy goalie equipment in Calgary. It is by far the most expensive city to buy gear. The Goalie Shop, Tuxedo, all of the sports shops in this city charge way to much for equipment. Better off going online or even ordering from Ontario, I can let you know of a couple good shops if you need.
there was a store on Ebay in Toronto that had some really good prices on goalie equipment, same with a guy in Quebec I bought off him twice and amazing service (also free shipping on some items within Canada). I just bought a new pair of RBK 5k goalie pads from the guy in Quebec above for $454.00 total including shipping and taxes, I phoned every store in the city to carry RBK gear and all wanted $550+

on a side note to this most of the places I phoned the people i talked to seemed un-interested in actually helping me with my questions, but when I phoned the hockey shop (www.thehockeyshop.com) they are in B.C. the guy told me that if that was the total cost of the pads I should take'em because I wasn't going to get a better deal anywhere else. Same sort of service when I phoned Toronto the guy I talked to told me that the first pair of pads i was looking at weren't of the best quality and he recomended either RBK's or Sherwood's.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #20
MattyK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

RBK 5k pads...I had my eye on those. They had 'em at Sport Chek up here in Edmonton with a $399 price tag, though they disappeared last month. Another goalie I play with bought the pads, catcher, and blocker around the start of last season, and they've been holding up pretty good.

Next paycheque, though, I'll be laying down some money for the NXi Phantom.
MattyK is offline   Reply With Quote