Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Hot House Wait list and general associated queries

Hello everyone,

I was hoping some of you folks could take some time and provide some insight as it pertains to the process and intricacies in regard to being on the 'Hot Seat' wait list. If anyone could perhaps share experiences, timelines, what to expect when I'm approached, or any such the like.

I did a search in this forum a few days back and came across some information on topic which was quite helpful and informative, however, I'm wondering if there's more people can expand or elaborate upon.

We're sitting at 502 right now on the wait list from when we signed up early in the year. We anticipated being a few years away, and that still seems the most sensible expectation. I read a thread on here that someone at around 290 last year got a call, which if I understand correctly, was not the norm for annual availability and probably more a byproduct of the rebuild whereby ticket holders did not wish to stay the course.

So I guess in that light, does anyone know what the average or trend has been in recent years for available seats to the wait list?

I also read that the season ticket re-org is around August for existing holders, so by that, is there a like time the initial bulk of new invites for Hot Seat members receive a call? I completely understand as the summer wears on and edges closer to the season beginning that openings will come to fruition based on circumstance (payments not made, whichever), but I'm guessing there is a bulk of released seats that go to folks on the waiting list at a particular time after the existing ticket holder re-org occurs?

Regarding expectation, can anyone perhaps share their experiences or general information of what happens as a typical process when you're approached to purchase? Are you offered a few choices, do you have the ability to go down and check the seats out first, and are you offered all that is available as being next in line, or how does that work? EG - if there's 100 seats available and I'm #20 on the wait list, do I get offered the list of 80, or do they hand me a choice of 3, or just 1, and give a take it/leave it ordeal?

As you can see, I am more just looking to have a general discussion on the overall process and experiences and insight from people before me who have gone through this and may have some knowledge to share. I do completely understand that nothing is concrete for answers because it's all subject to circumstance, but I'm sure all the same, people can provide some helpful knowledge to help me get my feet wet in terms of what to expect.

Thanks kindly everyone for any help you might be able to provide.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was on the HH for 3 years for the lower bowl (red/gold/silver seats). Approaching the lockout season I was phoned asking if I would like tickets (I was around 80-90 in the line), however I was given a choice. I stay on the HH for lower bowl but was warned that usually the tickets that come up first are bad sight lines or I could take some whites and maybe get lucky in seat relocation. I choose the seat relocation option and did well. Now I have gold seats after the shortened season in the whites.

As for time frame on the HH it all depends what you asked for. I seen guys asking for whites/greens/orange get their tickets sooner than I got mine (they signed up after me too).

That was my experience with the whole process. I still haven't been to a physical seat relocation because of the flood last year and "while you wait" seats don't get to relocate
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey Spetch,

thanks for taking the time to reply.

I probably should have noted I'm in the 2nd level wait list, the white/green/orange for tickets, as I do realize that probably makes a difference from the lower bowl.

Thanks kindly for the input.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
macrov
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it peaked around a 4-year wait, and has been around 3yrs over the past 5 seasons or so. I wouldn't be surprised it the wait falls to two years this off-season.

The dome is looking less full, suggesting that to a lot of people who have tickets, its not even worth going at zero cost. It is getting hard to sell tickets at the even STH price for non prime games, and you know its going to be this bad for at least the next 2 seasons and maybe as many as 4 or 5.

For a lot of people the value proposition isn't there unless they can sell a portion of their tickets at cost. Its very hard to go to 41 games at the best of times.

In my head though, I think a situation like this is going to make it difficult to get Season Tickets long term. There are over 30 000 people in this city making $200k per year and its a hockey hotbed because theirs fewer entertainment alternatives. And theres a lot of corporates here.

If you are a season ticket holder who doesn't sell their season tickets or buys into the flames though a painful rebuild, you're a very strong hand by definition. You're willing to throw away $5000 a year to guarentee seats when the team becomes good again. In other words, you're not giving up those seats for anything. If you don't have season tickets by the end of this rebuild, you're going to be on a 15+ year waiting list IMO.
macrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That's all very true macrov, at least by my perception. To add to that, and this is merely a theory I have, is that some folks who own multiple sets of season tickets might end up giving up some while the rebuild is in effect for the very reason you noted: selling them off for 41 games.

Owning two or three sets of 2 seats around the dome is all fine and well, going to games and selling off your other seats type thing and gaining your money back or close there to either way. But once it becomes difficult to sell off tickets, the novelty of paying for 6 season tickets might run its course for people awfully fast. As such, people may opt to relinquish some seats and simply maintain a single set.

I don't know much about scalping and/or that world at all, but I kind of wonder if they might be in the same position whereby some of those folks could own a host of season tickets, but might suffer greatly over the next 2,3 years if they try to maintain their rights but cannot sell them off. Again, complete speculation on my end, but just thinking out loud.

At the end of the day, I 100% agree that I found myself in a good spot as it pertains to someone on the waiting list. We actually didn't put much thought into any other reasoning other than it was the right time for us to get on the wait list to become season ticket holders from a personal standpoint. But once we signed up and kind of put some thought into the timing and the environment, it seemed to line up well for us in that we may in fact bypass 1,2 years of the rebuild and effectively get to the front of the line and/or even be on the inside looking out once the Flames turn the page of sorts on the build and are on the up, even if in its infinite stages. In a couple of years, the list as you say will grow exponentially when the build is behind them and they're competitive once again as it pertains to playoff hopes or hopefully more.

Last edited by jmac98; 01-27-2014 at 12:50 PM.