Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #41
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I've heard several criticism's of his off-season preparation, which is what I'm talking about. Part of the reason why he's injured so much is because he isn't conditioning himself in the off-season.

I don't know how anyone can be happy with Greg's development. He reminds me a lot of Chucko. The kid needs to smarten up.
oh yeah?

where did you hear this? How is he lazy?

Please elaborate because your comments are very stupid right now.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #42
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Jury's still out on Nemisz he could still be a decently effective player for the Flames but it sure would have been cool to watch Ennis score goals for the Flames these past 3 years. Ennis a WHL prospect ticked all the boxes except size. Big = GOOD right?

GD Sutter.
I found this awhile ago, courtesy of zamler. I laughed way more than I should have.

Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #43
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

From everything I've seen, Nemisz has the smarts and the skill to play in the NHL. Ashasx is right though, his skating certainly needs improvement. But to say he's lazy is a bit silly. The kid works his ass off.

But just because his skating needs improvement, doesn't mean his skating hasn't improved drastically. His skating style is probably going to stay that way. We, as fans, just need to accept that. Bouwmeester's a tall, lanky guy (like Nemisz) and he looks weird out there doing his crossovers, but he's fast as hell. The difference in Nemisz's skating from pre-injury to post-injury is quite a change.

In fact, I remember listening to an interview between Ryan Pinder and the Heat's power skating coach (forgot his name) and he commented specifically in the time he worked with Nemisz. He said that the work Nemisz put into his skating for those 3 weeks was phenomenal. He was proud of his work ethic and has noted himself that Nemisz's skating has improved drastically in that month. If Nemisz can improve like that in three weeks, I like his chances of improving his skating massively over the summer.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #44
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue is more about his playing style than his abilities. I don't think Greg has quite figured out HOW to be a successful pro with his skill-set.

Lance Bouma seemingly came into his Flames stint this year knowing exactly what he needed to do to stick with Calgary. Nemisz seemed to clue into it during this last stint playing with Sven and Kostopoulos.

EDIT: This will be an interesting off-season, in that Bouma, Brodie, Nemisz and Wahl are the major prospects coming up to the last year of their ELCs. Bouma and Brodie have seemingly solidified jobs in Calgary. Nemisz is a step behind them, and Wahl is a ways behind Nemisz. It's up to him to close the gap with the Calgary bunch.

Last edited by Freeway; 03-22-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #45
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The issue is more about his playing style than his abilities. I don't think Greg has quite figured out HOW to be a successful pro with his skill-set.

Lance Bouma seemingly came into his Flames stint this year knowing exactly what he needed to do to stick with Calgary. Nemisz seemed to clue into it during this last stint playing with Sven and Kostopoulos.
Good point.

I've always had trouble trying to identify Nemisz's playing style. He's not aggressive enough to be a power forward, not skilled enough to be a high point getter, too big to be an elusive dangler, and not quick enough to be a speedy forward.

What he is though, is a bit of a mutt (for lack of better phrasing). He's big, smart, an excellent passer, has a nose for the net, can outwork defending players in the corner, and is beginning to be a good leader (he's always instructing his players where to be on a faceoff, where to be when he's in the corner, etc.).

I agree that he looked a lot more "clued in" during this call-up, whereas in the past you sort of the got the feeling he was just going through the motions.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #46
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was not a big fan of Nemisz in his last few call-ups but the last call-up he was a lot better. He goes to the net, he skates and not just standing around watching the plays and he's reacting faster. I think he is starting to become NHL ready so I am sure if he doesn't make the starting lineup next season, he will be one of the last cut. Nemisz I think is a type of player who needs more time learning the game especially in the NHL.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #47
moon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Jury's still out on Nemisz he could still be a decently effective player for the Flames but it sure would have been cool to watch Ennis score goals for the Flames these past 3 years. Ennis a WHL prospect ticked all the boxes except size. Big = GOOD right?

GD Sutter.
Ennis was also so soft and a ##### during his time in Medicine Hat that it is pretty surprising he doesn't lie down on the ice and cry every shift. Not sure when he actually grew some balls but they weren't there at draft time.

moon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
bigtmac19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I didn't see as much as you guys.

Nemisz needs to work on his skating or he'll never be a NHL regular. He's a pretty terrible skater.

Really? I don't see how you can say this, his skating is nowhere near terrible.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #49
PeteMoss
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I don't agree with the lazy comments (no idea if he is or isn't), I'm with Ashasx on his potential. He's gone from completely out of place to below average at the NHL level.

Even the David Moss comparisons are wishful thinking at this point.

If he's going to have an NHL career beyond a call-up here or there, I think he needs to turn into one of those mega defensive guys who can win faceoffs - Manny Malholtra type guy. A guy who doesn't score or hit isn't going to make in the NHL long term unless he develops a top notch defensive game.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #50
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I kind of wish he had been kept up. After the latest results of taking Moss off the Jokinen-Glencross line to play 3rd line center, I'd much rather get them reunited. Nemisz played center even though he's a natural winger and was serviceable. Are we really better off with him and Abbotsford, Moss at center, and having one scoring line going? Are we reakky better off with Jackman and Desbiens in the lineup instead of Nemisz?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #51
calumniate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do we know it's Jackman coming back up?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #52
PeteLFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best we can hope for is a guy that can play the NHL game, and contribute somehow. If its on the 3rd or 4th line, as long as he can chip in 10-15 goals a year, and be a solid role player, I would say its a good pick considering it was made by Darryl Sutter.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #53
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Good point.

I've always had trouble trying to identify Nemisz's playing style. He's not aggressive enough to be a power forward, not skilled enough to be a high point getter, too big to be an elusive dangler, and not quick enough to be a speedy forward.

What he is though, is a bit of a mutt (for lack of better phrasing). He's big, smart, an excellent passer, has a nose for the net, can outwork defending players in the corner, and is beginning to be a good leader (he's always instructing his players where to be on a faceoff, where to be when he's in the corner, etc.).

I agree that he looked a lot more "clued in" during this call-up, whereas in the past you sort of the got the feeling he was just going through the motions.
A lot like Otto when he first was breaking in.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #54
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
While I don't agree with the lazy comments (no idea if he is or isn't), I'm with Ashasx on his potential. He's gone from completely out of place to below average at the NHL level.

Even the David Moss comparisons are wishful thinking at this point.
Keep in mind that Moss didn't break into the NHL until he was 25. Nemisz is only 21.

Resolute 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #55
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows. I've seen odder things happen than perhaps Nemisz turning into a regular NHL player. Burrows is now somehow a 30 goal scorer in the NHL. I just don't like the odds.

Maybe he will be different next season, but ever since he turned pro, I've simply been very disappointed. I'd love it if he could turn into a 15-15, defensively responsible 3rd liner like Moss, but I just don't see himself pulling in either direction.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #56
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Who knows. I've seen odder things happen than perhaps Nemisz turning into a regular NHL player. Burrows is now somehow a 30 goal scorer in the NHL. I just don't like the odds.

Maybe he will be different next season, but ever since he turned pro, I've simply been very disappointed. I'd love it if he could turn into a 15-15, defensively responsible 3rd liner like Moss, but I just don't see himself pulling in either direction.
Not to pick on you, Ashasx, but this post is exactly why I laugh at people who want a tear-down and rebuild. Most simply lack the patience to deal with the growing pains young players endure. If they don't do what Baertschi did, they are a bust. But a lot of guys do what Jokinen did - and two teams gave up on him before he took that next step at age 24.

I'm not saying that Nemisz will go the route of any of these guys in the end. I just think it is ridiculous to quit on a 21-year-old player who's last recall to Calgary was leaps and bounds better than the one before. There is every reason to continue letting him develop, and not one that justifies cutting him loose.

Resolute 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #57
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Not to pick on you, Ashasx, but this post is exactly why I laugh at people who want a tear-down and rebuild. Most simply lack the patience to deal with the growing pains young players endure. If they don't do what Baertschi did, they are a bust. But a lot of guys do what Jokinen did - and two teams gave up on him before he took that next step at age 24.

I'm not saying that Nemisz will go the route of any of these guys in the end. I just think it is ridiculous to quit on a 21-year-old player who's last recall to Calgary was leaps and bounds better than the one before. There is every reason to continue letting him develop, and not one that justifies cutting him loose.
Nemisz is the only prospect I've singled out. He hasn't performed well at any level of hockey, certainly not enough to warrant a 1st round pick being used on him.

He was a sub point/game player when we drafted him, and the only reason why he broke a point/game after that was because of Hall. Nemisz was on the best team in the CHL and was carried.

I suppose I'm hard on him because other players like Reinhart and Ferland are showing some promise and are putting up better numbers while being late draft picks. I also suppose that seeing the 2 picks taken directly after him blossoming into star NHL players makes me angry as well.

But Nemisz just hasn't shown any signs of promise in his career at any level of hockey. I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt any longer.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #58
MrMastodonFarm
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case you missed Phaunthier's post with some questions for you Ashax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
oh yeah?

where did you hear this? How is he lazy?

Please elaborate because your comments are very stupid right now.

MrMastodonFarm is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #59
moon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was a sub point/game player when we drafted him, and the only reason why he broke a point/game after that was because of Hall. Nemisz was on the best team in the CHL and was carried.
I am not saying playing for Windsor didn't help but for most of his time there he did not play with Hall so hard to see how it was hall that helped him increase his scoring.

moon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #60
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
In case you missed Phaunthier's post with some questions for you Ashax.
Please, stop. Ashasx hasn't brought it up for several days, and just finished agreeing with a post that said he wasn't lazy, and while not a good skater, is still significantly better than before. Let it lie.

Thanks.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote