Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
JonDuke
First Line Centre
 
JonDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default Some random put stitches in my fingers...

A week ago, I cut 2 fingers while carving a pumpkin.
(Insert as many jokes as you want here)

It was fairly bad, so I headed out for stitches. My wife called a MediCenter and spoke with a middle eastern male, who told her that I could go see them, so I did.

When I got there, what I believe is that same man who my wife spoke with took me into the room. (there were no other male employees). He had scrubs on so I don't actually believe he was honestly the receptionist, but a nurse or aide instead that just so happened to answer the call my wife made.

So, the actual Dr comes in and says that this "nurse" fella will do my 7 stitches and that he is "very qualified" for it. I don't think anything of it, and get stitched up.

Today, one week later, I go in to get the stitches removed. The Dr on today asks me a bunch of questions (because I have a frozen/blister like feeling in my pinky and it really doesn't look good at all) about who did my stitches. She also says my stitches were not cared for properly. I did everything i was told to, but apparently there were a few things the "nurse" didn't tell me for aftercare) I tell her it was a male nurse who stitched meand she says it's impossible because they "arent allowed to", and that it was probably the doctor. I tell me story, saying it definitely wasn't the Dr and she jots notes and says she will look into it.

So...someone who possibly wasn't allowed/authorised to stitch me up, did, and my fingers are not healing correctly because of the lack of aftercare I was never told to do. Also, she removed stitches from one finger, but left them in for the other as it wasn't healing good at all, and thats the same finger that feels frozen.

So, the question is:
Who the heck do I complain to?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
jar_e
#1 Goaltender
 
jar_e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Shouldn't that be recorded on who did what to a patient? Figured that would be kinda important for a dr's office.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

You need to call this guy



Too bad it wasn't caused by a dog bite, because then you could sue the dog owner

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: On my metal monster.
Exp:
Default

I won't make any stupid jokes and I'll be serious. Find the guy who did it and sue everyone involved. The entire staff that was working, whom ever actually stitched it, who ever answered the phone, the people you saw afterwords (I'm assuming you went to the same "clinic"), the clinic itself. Lawyer up and sue them all. Something similar happened to my mom (the guy was a doctor, just a horrible one), and now she has no feeling in her finger after 3 months and the stitches didn't even stay in.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
drhu22
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Is this in any way a privatised clinic or is it on A Healthcare?
drhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger
 
Jedi Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Exp:
Default

Whoah, whoah, whoah, back up a second... you walked into a medical clinic in Calgary and got immediate attention? That's pretty shocking.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
JonDuke
First Line Centre
 
JonDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
What medicentre?
Crowfoot Medicenter

Also, I wasn't taken in "right away". I had a fairly sweet blood flow and they still took 2 other people before me.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
pylon
NOT Chris Butler
 
pylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vote Threeve!
Exp:
Default

Protip for the next time you slice yourself clean and deep:

1) Make sure you keep in your medicine cabinet a few caustic pencils (silver nitrate sticks) and crazy glue.

2) Wound yourself with a knife or razor blade. (This method does not work well with pressure, or punture wounds.)

3) Rinse under cold water for 5 minutes or so to slow blood flow, and numb.

4) Apply caustic pencil to to cut to cauterize.

5) Seal with a liberal dose of crazy glue.

6) Sit back and marvel in your time savings, and handi-work.

I have done three cuts this way that would easily have required stitches, and they heal beautifully. I learned the trick on the side of a highway in Montana when I took a rock to the head on my motorcycle, and I was not wearing a helmet. A truck driver stopped, and glued me together.. albeit skipping stage three, and using a little vodka to rinse the wound. When I got home I went to the walk in clinic to get it properly fixed, and the doctor says "That truck driver did a nice job. If you notice it start to get infected come back, otherwords, it should heal up fine."

Just sealed up a nasty one from a carpet knife this summer, and it barely left a scar after healing.

From what I understand, dermabond, is just medical grade crazy glue anyway.

You're welcome in advance.
__________________
pylon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

While I wouldn't recommend doing stitches yourself, I did learn how to do stitches using hockey tape and a sewing thread and needle that worked until they got me to the hospital for treatment.

Basically I fell off of a vehicle and because duct tape and a uniform repair kit were part of my issue, I cleaned the gash on my leg, then applied tape to both sides of the wound and sewed the tape together. Then I wrapped up my leg to hold the stiches in place and cried for my mommy until help came.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easter back on in Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Never trust a Middle Eastern man with your health care. Cutting hair, making donairs, painting your house, construction of your house, yes.

Healthcare, no.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckluck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #11
Leon
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Never trust a Middle Eastern man with your health care. Cutting hair, making donairs, painting your house, construction of your house, yes.

Healthcare, no.
Good troll!
__________________

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: On my metal monster.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
Good troll!
he's at least middle eastern. Plus he's right.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
A week ago, I cut 2 fingers while carving a pumpkin.
(Insert as many jokes as you want here)

It was fairly bad, so I headed out for stitches. My wife called a MediCenter and spoke with a middle eastern male, who told her that I could go see them, so I did.

When I got there, what I believe is that same man who my wife spoke with took me into the room. (there were no other male employees). He had scrubs on so I don't actually believe he was honestly the receptionist, but a nurse or aide instead that just so happened to answer the call my wife made.

So, the actual Dr comes in and says that this "nurse" fella will do my 7 stitches and that he is "very qualified" for it. I don't think anything of it, and get stitched up.

Today, one week later, I go in to get the stitches removed. The Dr on today asks me a bunch of questions (because I have a frozen/blister like feeling in my pinky and it really doesn't look good at all) about who did my stitches. She also says my stitches were not cared for properly. I did everything i was told to, but apparently there were a few things the "nurse" didn't tell me for aftercare) I tell her it was a male nurse who stitched meand she says it's impossible because they "arent allowed to", and that it was probably the doctor. I tell me story, saying it definitely wasn't the Dr and she jots notes and says she will look into it.

So...someone who possibly wasn't allowed/authorised to stitch me up, did, and my fingers are not healing correctly because of the lack of aftercare I was never told to do. Also, she removed stitches from one finger, but left them in for the other as it wasn't healing good at all, and thats the same finger that feels frozen.

So, the question is:
Who the heck do I complain to?
Just consider yourself lucky you didn't go in with a problem south of the 'Mason Dixon line' so to speak.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
Wormius
#1 Goaltender
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Did anybody say this person was a nurse? I know when we were having a baby, the doctors would occasionally bring along some foreign doctor that are trying to get their Canadian accreditation.

Or, if this was Halloween you might have been Punk'd by some guys in doctors' costumes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #15
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Protip for the next time you slice yourself clean and deep:

1) Make sure you keep in your medicine cabinet a few caustic pencils (silver nitrate sticks) and crazy glue.

2) Wound yourself with a knife or razor blade. (This method does not work well with pressure, or punture wounds.)

3) Rinse under cold water for 5 minutes or so to slow blood flow, and numb.

4) Apply caustic pencil to to cut to cauterize.

5) Seal with a liberal dose of crazy glue.

6) Sit back and marvel in your time savings, and handi-work.

I have done three cuts this way that would easily have required stitches, and they heal beautifully. I learned the trick on the side of a highway in Montana when I took a rock to the head on my motorcycle, and I was not wearing a helmet. A truck driver stopped, and glued me together.. albeit skipping stage three, and using a little vodka to rinse the wound. When I got home I went to the walk in clinic to get it properly fixed, and the doctor says "That truck driver did a nice job. If you notice it start to get infected come back, otherwords, it should heal up fine."

Just sealed up a nasty one from a carpet knife this summer, and it barely left a scar after healing.

From what I understand, dermabond, is just medical grade crazy glue anyway.

You're welcome in advance.
Before I do this, would any of CP's medical establishment like to weigh in here?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I had to negotiate an extension when Iggy scored.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #16
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback
 
hkstylez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Protip for the next time you slice yourself clean and deep:

1) Make sure you keep in your medicine cabinet a few caustic pencils (silver nitrate sticks) and crazy glue.

2) Wound yourself with a knife or razor blade. (This method does not work well with pressure, or punture wounds.)

3) Rinse under cold water for 5 minutes or so to slow blood flow, and numb.

4) Apply caustic pencil to to cut to cauterize.

5) Seal with a liberal dose of crazy glue.

6) Sit back and marvel in your time savings, and handi-work.

I have done three cuts this way that would easily have required stitches, and they heal beautifully. I learned the trick on the side of a highway in Montana when I took a rock to the head on my motorcycle, and I was not wearing a helmet. A truck driver stopped, and glued me together.. albeit skipping stage three, and using a little vodka to rinse the wound. When I got home I went to the walk in clinic to get it properly fixed, and the doctor says "That truck driver did a nice job. If you notice it start to get infected come back, otherwords, it should heal up fine."

Just sealed up a nasty one from a carpet knife this summer, and it barely left a scar after healing.

From what I understand, dermabond, is just medical grade crazy glue anyway.

You're welcome in advance.
Cauterizing the wound is not a pleasant thing, when I worked in the kitchen, I ended up cutting off the whole tip of my pointing finger on the left hand.

My fellow cooks decided to cauterize it after service was done, having avoided this, I probably should have went to the clinic but instead I went back home and slept for a few hours before heading back down for my night shift. But 2 months before this happened, I sliced the same finger and ended up having 4 stitches. Haha.
__________________
mod edit: sig too big.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #17
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback
 
DrJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Just go to the hospital next time.

You can make formal complaints to the Alberta Medical Association.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrJ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #18
Pizza
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Exp:
Default

This reminds me of that A-team movie when B.A. Baracus got a lightning bolt stitched on his arm by Murdock
__________________
Pizza isnt healthy? It has all 4 food groups ffs

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #19
pylon
NOT Chris Butler
 
pylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vote Threeve!
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Before I do this, would any of CP's medical establishment like to weigh in here?
Here, it is not BS, crazy glue, and medical grade Cyoanoacrylate are pretty much only differentiated by an anti bacterial agent. Apparently in Vietnam, it was used to patch up soldiers livers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Quote:
Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for cyanoacrylate based fast-acting adhesives such as methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like Super Glue and Krazy Glue), and n-butyl cyanoacrylate (used in veterinary and skin glues). The related compound 2-octyl cyanoacrylate is a medical grade glue; it was developed to be non-toxic and less irritating to skin tissue. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known as instant glues. The abbreviation CA is commonly used for industrial grades.
Seriously every cut I have had stitched, has left a noticeable scar, I have some that are over 25 years old. Anything I have glued, the scars are almost impossible to find, and they are all less than 5 years old.

There are a ton of tutorials on how to do it. A lot of them do not mention a cauterizing stick, but I just find it makes it easier.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4450308_use-superglue-cuts.html
__________________

Last edited by pylon; 11-07-2011 at 02:02 AM.
pylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #20
Hockeyguy15
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

+1 for superglue. During the summer I was cooking with my dad and we had a few beers and were feeling good, while chopping something he managed a pretty good gash in his thumb.

I got some papertowel and put some pressure on it for a minute or 2 to slow the bleeding and then put on the super glue and bam, back to cooking and drinking.

Just make sure you let the glue dry before you touch stuff with it, you could have other problems at that point.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Calgary Flames
2014-15
CP Chat!

CPRadio

2014-15 Regular Season:





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2009