Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
mesaywee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Driving to Vancouver

This Friday I hope to make a non-stop drive to Vancouver which I am told takes around 12 hours. I'm 19 and this will be my first time ever making the drive. My experience in mountain driving is limited to driving to banff and back a couple of times.

What are some tips you guys can give me for making a 12 hour drive on my own? I imagine boredom will be a huge factor so i've thought of things like stand-up routines on my ipod and such.

What routes have you found to be the best? To avoid getting lost I was planning on just sticking to highway one, but i've been told there are shorter and safer alternatives.

Any tips would be awesome. I'm quite dumb-founded on how to prepare for this drive.
mesaywee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really not so bad. I've done that run in a day loads of times. You've just got to keep moving and might as well stay on the 1 the whole time. Books on tape are good, but I used to do it on a motorbike all the time and found I could just enjoy the scenery. It's really not that boring because it's so beautiful.

Edit: Yeah, good point about the Coquihalla not being the 1 Nom. It just seems so intuitive to take that route that I completely disregarded that it's a different number.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 05-12-2011 at 05:07 AM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
NomNomNom
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've made the drive from Calgary to Van at least 10 times, 6 of which were direct drives. It usually takes me about 11 hours.

The best advice I could give you is that there's no places to stop for gas on the Coquihalla (the number 1 turns into this [I believe it's called highway 5 and you'll want to take it south] after you hit Kamloops) So make sure you have gas before hitting the Coq. Golden (about 3 hours from Calgary) has tons of places to stop for food (Subway, Tim Hortons, McDonalds etc.) plus Gas.

You will experience areas with no cell phone reception (my car broke down this December while driving back from Van in an area 17 kms outside of Revelstoke that had zero cell phone reception - in the middle of the night) so keep that in mind.

Once you figure out your route, just follow the sings to the next city. Start with following signs to Banff then to Kamloops, then to Hope, then to Vancouver. You should hit: Banff, Golden, Revelstoke, Sicamous, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, Hope then Vancouver.

Just load your ipod up with sweet tunes and drive. Wear sweatpants and make sure you have sun glasses. Have windshield washer fluid/oil on hand and check your tire pressure before too (around 35 psi)

Unless I think of anything else to add, that's pretty much it. It's really not that bad of a drive. Gas in Abbotsford is cheaper than anywhere else in the Lower main land, so fill up there. Oh, and Chilliwack smells like manure.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've gone the past couple years, but I stopped in Kelowna for a few nights first (I have family there, as well as Vancouver). I haven't driven it yet, always the passenger, but I just listen to music for long drives. It isn't too bad going to Vancouver because it isn't just a straight line. The scenery and roads are nice so it makes it a relatively enjoyable ride.

Hopefully they aren't doing any road works still. Last summer we were held up like 2 hours (stopped for 20 mins on the road!) because of damn road words.

Edit: Oh yeah, and bring TONS of snacks, food, drinks. You'll probably stop for lunch anyway (maybe not?) but always good to have something to munch on.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It shouldn't be 12 hours if you take the Coquihalla, which you'd be foolish to pass up on. It shaves anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes from the trip.

Wait, 12 is about right in travel time. I got mixed up because you gain an hour driving west.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be careful by Revelstoke, the pavement is a friggin disaster right now.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
MacGruber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a wondeful drive, as good as a drive can get really. I did it with a friend 2 years ago and places like Salmon Arm look like paradise as you drive by. People boating, windsurfing, *sigh*
MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I envy you. This is a beautiful trip. Unless you have to, I suggest not sprinting through it. If you can overnight it halfway and enjoy it, it's worth doing.

Also, Revelstoke is a logical place for your first stop (though maybe not overnight), and you should pick up some Tall Timber Ale from the local brewery there. It's good stuff.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Don't overdo it with the speeding. There are many spots where you're likely to encounter wildlife on the highway, and there are also many spots where the RCMP like to stake out. Just stick to the limit or a few over, and enjoy the scenery. It's not the QE2.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop at 3 valley gap and pick up some circa 1960 - 1970 postcards.
Of Saskatchewan.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

And don't get to impatient trying to pass slow movers in the mountains, there are lots of passing lanes. It's an easy drive, I find once I hit the mountains I get an extra boost, the Coq does it too, the mountain air just keeps me going. I have gone Moose Jaw to Van in a day several times, 16hrs, but I used to be a speedster. Now the most I do is here to Salmon arm, just under 12hrs.

PS, all the time you make going 120 gets burned on a pit stop, so 10 over is my max these days.

Also, know where you need to go once you get there. Van can be pretty confusing, after a 12hr drive at least!

Last edited by speede5; 05-12-2011 at 07:49 AM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

pay attention to speeds in small towns in BC, sometimes they'll sneak up on you then get pegged for speeding. Also a solid nights rest is important, it's tough to do the drive when you're tired, coffee and tea aren't always that great either since it usually means you have to stop to take a leak more often.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I couldn't even guess the number of times I've done Calgary-Vancouver/Seattle in a day. Truly one the world's great road trips!

The requirements: Comfy pants (shirt optional), beef jerky, some soda, some water, and good tunes.

The advice: It's a marathon, not a race. Stick to the posted speeds and enjoy the drive.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Yeah, I would totally agree on not making it a race. Especially if it's your first time. Stop for breaks along the way to help stay awake (scenery is great but sitting in one place for so long gets tiring regardless). There's plenty of awesome places to do that. Takakkaw falls should be pretty sweet with spring runoff going strong right now, for example.

You will not make good time in places. Just be patient and the trip will be more enjoyable.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Loob
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stop, revive, survive
Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Display Calgary Flames car flags, and you will be warmly welcomed.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Display Calgary Flames car flags, and you will be warmly welcomed.

Greeted as liberators?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaywee View Post
I'm 19 and this will be my first time ever making the drive. My experience in mountain driving is limited to driving to banff and back a couple of times.
Take your time, pay attention and don't take any chances.

Thousands of people have been maimed, killed and horribly injured on that drive, my step brother was killed near Princeton when he was around your age, junkfood, cell service and your ipod should be the least of your concerns.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Try chain smoking. It's a great way to pass the time.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

stop just outside of vancouver to review whereever it is you're going too if you're not familiar with the city, one of those GPS dealys are pretty useful if you can just punch in the address and have it talk to you.

Vancouver traffic and roads can be a little tricky
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post: