Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The average life expectancy of professional football players is 55

"It is not a widely disseminated, downloaded or discussed fact that the average life expectancy for all pro football players, including all positions and backgrounds, is 55 years. Several insurance carriers say it is 51 years."

The article

"Men between the ages of 30 and 49 have a one in a thousand chance of being diagnosed with dementia, Alzheimer's, or another memory related disease. An NFL retiree has a one in fifty-three chance of receiving the same diagnosis."

"Head to head lineman impact G-force," is 20 to 30 Gs. It also tells us that the, "G-force required for a fighter pilot to pass out," is five to six Gs. What happens to a lineman that plays 15 years of professional football and on average, experiences "head to head lineman impacts" 60 times a game, roughly 18 times a year?

Last edited by Cheese; 04-07-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, guess the big money isn't worth your life.

Be a kicker in the NFL, you'll live longer.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Very troubling if this data is correct.

What do we know about the life expectancy of boxers?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

"G-force required for a fighter pilot to pass out," is five to six Gs.

h
mmm, they are chucking out some random data. I flew in a front prop fight plane when I was 13 or so and pulled 7.2 Gs for a couple seconds. and had some continueous 5-6 G pulls for a while. That was in junior high with about 2 hours of training
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I've been thinking for a while that the NFL needs to seriously look into fixing this. Although, it's going to be impossible to get he rate to normal. The NFL needs to take care of it former players much better, AND their families.

There are too many stories out there of former players, basically broke from medical bills and physically disabled, and dying off early.

I don't know what the solution is, but the NFL has swept this kind of information under the rug for far too long.

Start with making the latest anti-concussion helmets mandatory.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm guessing MMA is probably around the same?
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Although, it's going to be impossible to get he rate to normal. The NFL needs to take care of it former players much better, AND their families.

There are too many stories out there of former players, basically broke from medical bills and physically disabled, and dying off early.
How far would a $1 surcharge on every ticket go to help fixing the medical finances issue? Would it be practical?

I'd imagine that fans might not be too upset as ticket prices are always increasing and this increase would help some of their former heroes, or the sidekicks, who are in desperate need. Also, it wouldn't hurt the owners financially.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstylez View Post
I'm guessing MMA is probably around the same?
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't think so. Fights in MMA are stopped rather quickly. Boxing may be the closer comparison due to the repetitive punches to the head.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1976014/

Quote:
Researchers say they are hard-pressed to find current published medical studies that prove professional football players have a life expectancy of 55 years.
And the author of a 2006 article that startled CFL players last week – citing that a pro football player’s life expectancy is 51 to 55 – says he based his medical opinion article on a conversation with an insurance expert, not a medical study.
Quote:
“That number of 55 has simply never been proven with any data, it has just floated around and been perpetuated by reporters too lazy to back up the facts,” said Chris Nowinski, co-director of the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University, and founder of Sports Legacy Institute, which educates on concussion in sport.
Quote:
In 1997, a study was done by the NFL along with the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). It found players are not dying younger than the U.S. life expectancy for males of 72. It did, however, conclude that linemen, due to their bulk, had a rate of heart disease much higher than the general population.

Last edited by CofR; 04-08-2011 at 07:40 AM.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm not surprised by that at all. They're job curtails them basically getting hit by a car 60 times a game.

Combine that with lineman who eat 10x what the normal person eats during their career and then for the most part keeps doing it after they retire but drop the training.

Its just to be honest, probably one of the most unsafe sports out there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm not surprised by that at all. They're job curtails them basically getting hit by a car 60 times a game.

Combine that with lineman who eat 10x what the normal person eats during their career and then for the most part keeps doing it after they retire but drop the training.

Its just to be honest, probably one of the most unsafe sports out there.

Yeah, you should probably read the post above yours.