Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #21
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Honestly wondering, every year there are a new batch of these unsigned drafted guys.......any of them ever pan out?
Lombardi, Stoll, both Anderson goalies come to mind

Alan Quine looks good too
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Reway would be a mid-round pick well spent. The Habs must be off their rocker if they haven't signed him yet.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #23
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I've vouched for him before, but if Myles Bell isn't signed, I wouldn't mind seeing the Flames throw a contract or even just a PTO/ATO at him.

He's a big RH (although listed as a LW), and he played D his whole life up until his last season of Jr. Possibly could be converted back? Always had great puck skills, a cannon shot, and hit hard. Haven't followed his progress much, but he could be an interesting pick up IMO.
Bell is slow. He was a physical specimen in junior as an early developer but others caught up and Bell didn't continue to progress.

He has a NHL shot but not much else. He seems to have moved on from the manslaughter incident but his development was never the same after that. Maybe a move back to D could help but not sure he's worth a flier.

As for Roy, you have to be elite offensively in order to be bad defensively (like Karlsson) and Roy isn't. Would be quite fine if the Flames let him go.

Mitch Wheaton is interesting. Guy just hasn't stayed healthy enough for the Wings to even see what they have. He's lost an entire year of development like Sieloff. Slow skater but maybe a late bloomer if he can have a healthy overage year in the WHL and couple healthy years in the ECHL or hopefully AHL. He's several years away at best though.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #24
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the issue for the Flames is they already have some guys with offensive upside and defensive deficiencies in their pipeline, so why have multiple guys like that?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
And the issue for the Flames is they already have some guys with offensive upside and defensive deficiencies in their pipeline, so why have multiple guys like that?
The same reason why rebuilding teams stock up on 2nd round draft picks. Most of them don't pan out, but by loading up you increase the chances that at least one will.
bax
Old 05-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The same reason why rebuilding teams stock up on 2nd round draft picks. Most of them don't pan out, but by loading up you increase the chances that at least one will.
Yeah, but when you stock up on 2nd round picks (or any picks for that matter) all those prospects will be spread around on multiple teams in many different leagues....and none of them have to be signed for 2+ years.

For Roy, he has to turn pro now, and you have to decide if he's worth a 3 year commitment on an ELC, and if there is room for him on one of the 2-3 pro rosters.....and it's tight, because the Flames already have a boatload of D signed for both the NHL and AHL teams.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #27
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any interest in Marc McNulty? 6-6 D-man with some offense and nastiness?
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #28
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Any interest in Marc McNulty? 6-6 D-man with some offense and nastiness?
Any relation?

FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #29
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any reason why we wouldn't sign Roy? We clearly need defense prospects. Can never have too many of them.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #30
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Any reason why we wouldn't sign Roy? We clearly need defense prospects. Can never have too many of them.
I think you can have too many. Especially when none of the signed prospects (7 guys already) are elite and all can be best described as C+ outside of Wotherspoon, who is maybe a hair above that. Bearing that in mind, it's important to find playing time for them all to develop, so too many bodies can be detrimental. Last year guys were yo-yoing to the ECHL, playing forward and getting scratched because there were so many bodies, I think Treliving will want to limit that this year.

You also will need a couple vets on the farm as the group is still very young. Acolatse, Cundari and Yonkman might not be back but you can bet a couple of older guys will be brought in to help stabilize the group, especially if Wotherspoon graduates.

Wotherspoon
Culkin
Ramage
Kulak
Morrison
Sieloff
Kanzig
Veteran for Stockton #1
Veteran for Stockton #2
---------------------------
Hickey
Gilmour
Rafikov
Ollas Mattsson
Whoever we draft this year (likely 3 or 4 more guys)

There's no room for him basically, as he's not better than any of those guys I just listed. In the case of the guys under the dotted line, the Flames have a couple years to decide on them, so they are fine where they are but when they're ready, they're going to need spots too.

The biggest factor IMO is that he's simply got too many holes in his game compared to the other guys to afford him a contract spot, as he's a offensive guy who struggles in his own zone. Perhaps he could be converted to forward but the last thing we need is more LH depth wingers. He would be destined to be an ECHL player for an indefinite period unless he could manage to leapfrog several players. Then, look at the NHL level. Four of Seven spots are spoken for, with Wotherspoon likely to take another very soon. That's not even counting Engelland who is signed for two more seasons. We simply have no need or room for him.

The more I think about it, if Sieloff weren't already here, Roy would have a much better chance of being signed. I don't think the Flames want to have two limited potential/one dimensional guys who might have to be converted to forward in order to have a chance, especially since both are left handed.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 05-25-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #31
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

The Flames sent Roy back to juniors with the sole task of improving his defensive game and IMO he has improved quite a bit this season. I would like to see the Flames give him a contract, although I imagine he is low on the priority list at the moment. Roy strikes me as a dark horse prospect. He has size, he has mobility, he has a booming shot, he can hit -- he just needs to work on his positioning and coverage in the defensive zone. He was a project when he was drafted and he's progressed pretty well. I'm not sure the Flames are in the position to turn away 6'3" d-men like Roy. To Roy's credit, he has shown great determination and even if the Flames don't recognize it I'm sure someone will.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #32
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Honestly wondering, every year there are a new batch of these unsigned drafted guys.......any of them ever pan out?
We drafted Jarret Stoll & Craig Anderson only to have both re-enter the draft and go on to have pretty good NHL careers.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #33
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
The Flames sent Roy back to juniors with the sole task of improving his defensive game and IMO he has improved quite a bit this season. I would like to see the Flames give him a contract, although I imagine he is low on the priority list at the moment. Roy strikes me as a dark horse prospect. He has size, he has mobility, he has a booming shot, he can hit -- he just needs to work on his positioning and coverage in the defensive zone. He was a project when he was drafted and he's progressed pretty well. I'm not sure the Flames are in the position to turn away 6'3" d-men like Roy. To Roy's credit, he has shown great determination and even if the Flames don't recognize it I'm sure someone will.
I agree with everything you've said. He seems to have all the tools needed to improve his overall game (including defensive aspects). He also seems to have the right mindset moving forward.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #34
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would take a flyer on Big Bird!

If you need an explaination on the nickname...
https://www.google.ca/search?q=marc+...2F%3B231%3B231
Old 05-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

New Jersey Devils @NHLDevils
#NJDevils sign prospects Ryan Kujawinski, Blake Pietila.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
I would take a flyer on Big Bird!
Sure, if he's as good as the original:

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #37
DSIM420
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Eric Roy would benefit huge from working with Huska! I would say sign him.
DSIM420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #38
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice
Devils have decided not to offer Anthony Brodeur a contract. He goes back into draft pool for this year. If undrafted, becomes UFA.

Devils will leave a spot open for Anthony Brodeur at development camp in July if he goes undrafted .

Devils also have decided not to re-sign Myles Bell after his AHL contract expires June 30..
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #39
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if the would have signed Brodeur if Martin Brodeur had come back to the organization.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #40
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
More bullets in the chamber is the reasoning I'd imagine.

Have to watch it though, only so much room and icetime for blueliners to develop.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote