Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #41
FFFLife
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Flames are deep in goalie prospects already. What they really need is always big d-men who can skate, big right wingers, and the obvious, big centerman. You can trade for goalie prospects any day, but it's a waste to pick a goalie in the first round.
I think the "goalie in the first round" talk was sarcasm....
FFFLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FFFLife For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #42
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
- Evgeny Svechnikov: He's the absolute powerhouse of a forward the Flames need. Big and explosive, he is the type of player who can just bust through teams standing up at the blue line and should be able to complement the forwards well with this contrasting style.
Plus, he is saying a lot of right things. He sounds like he has great character and is very driven to improve and succeed.

I recall that he was asked about his projected career path and he said that he didn't come to Canada to play junior hockey in order to prepare for a KHL career and that his only intention is to play in the NHL even if it means playing his way through the AHL to get there. It was refreshing to read and removes a bit of the "Russian factor".
Old 05-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFLife View Post
I think the "goalie in the first round" talk was sarcasm....
Someone really needs to put a bug it Katz' ear that, since his team was full of high draft pick forwards, and it was common knowledge that their big downfall was goaltending, that they don't need McDavid and should take a goalie.

It worked when they were convinced that they needed a big centre as opposed to a guy who couldn't do a pull-up.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #44
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nick Merkley would be a fantastic selection at the 15th slot. Would fit an organizational need as well which you never draft for, but is a nice bonus when it happens.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #45
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Nick Merkley would be a fantastic selection at the 15th slot. Would fit an organizational need as well which you never draft for, but is a nice bonus when it happens.
A bit small, no?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #46
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Hard to say at 15... If there is a grouping of guys they value roughly equally I say go with a D-man. If there are no d-men in whatever tier they find themselves picking in I say the team could do worse then Evgeni Svechnikov.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #47
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Flames will use any of their 3 2nd round picks to either move up or acquire a second first rounder?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #48
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really want Brandon Carlo. Probably not at 15 though.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #49
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
A bit small, no?
Yeah he's pretty undersized but his compete level is off the charts and he doesn't play a small man's game at all.

The only concern with his size is that his body may not hold up well long-term considering the style he plays. He often tries to go for the big hit against way bigger guys which isn't a conducive recipe in the NHL. That's coachable though.

It's always hard to find natural RW's though and he's a rare breed as a playmaker instead of sniper from that position.

Still a month to go before the draft but he seems like a guy who may drop a few spots due to size and be a good value pickup at 15. He would've probably gone 6th, right after Michael Dal Colle in the draft last year.

You never know. Someone else may fall down the board on draft day that would represent BPA option for the Flames over Merkley. But Merkley seems to be in a small group of players that will likely be there when the Flames pick and likely be the BPA or close to it.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #50
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
In a perfect world, Hunter Smith is NHL ready by the time the Flames are in contention mode.
I want someone with high end skill to play with Bennett. I like Smith, but I think his upside is only as a slightly more skilled Bollig. He'll compete with the likes of Wolf, Hathaway, and Carroll for a 4th line wing position.

Flames need a big skilled winger like a Marian Hossa type to complement Bennett.

Flames have a lot of quality bottom six guys, but need some more high end skill. Really only Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett fall into that category going forward.

Next season, I want to see someone different on the RW with Gaudreau and Monahan and have Hudler with Bennett to mentor him. Long term, they are going to have to replace Hudler and this player will have to play with Bennett.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I want someone with high end skill to play with Bennett. I like Smith, but I think his upside is only as a slightly more skilled Bollig. He'll compete with the likes of Wolf, Hathaway, and Carroll for a 4th line wing position.

Flames need a big skilled winger like a Marian Hossa type to complement Bennett.

Flames have a lot of quality bottom six guys, but need some more high end skill. Really only Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett fall into that category going forward.

Next season, I want to see someone different on the RW with Gaudreau and Monahan and have Hudler with Bennett to mentor him. Long term, they are going to have to replace Hudler and this player will have to play with Bennett.
This is Evgeny Svechnikov.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #52
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

That's why I think Justin Williams is perfect. He's a winner with a Conn Smythe trophy, a RW and he would be free to acquire (just cap). Veteran with experience, but not too old (he's 33) so he could play for 3-4 years if necessary. It would also give the Flames a legit second attack unit instead of shoehorning whatever young player into that role.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #53
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
That's why I think Justin Williams is perfect. He's a winner with a Conn Smythe trophy, a RW and he would be free to acquire (just cap). Veteran with experience, but not too old (he's 33) so he could play for 3-4 years if necessary. It would also give the Flames a legit second attack unit instead of shoehorning whatever young player into that role.
Just worried about cost + term
Old 05-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #54
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Length of the contract is the only concern to me. Flames have plenty of cap space and I wouldn't be paying his salary.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #55
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it comes to 15, the problem is that none of the player from 9-25 have a huge amount of size. Svechnikov is the only one over 6'1.5" and he's a hair under 6-2.

A guy like Gabriel Carlsson might be an option (6-4 D-man)

It's difficult because the D that are available in that range (Zboril, Roy, Kylington, Chabot, Juulsen) are the same size as TJ Brodie or smaller, which doesn't help in a playoff series against Anaheim. The others that are bigger are long term projects that have big gaps in their games.

Because of that I would actually prefer a forward in round one and target one of Svechnikov, Sprong, or Harkins (or any of the fallers from the top 10)
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #56
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Flames are deep in goalie prospects already. What they really need is always big d-men who can skate, big right wingers, and the obvious, big centerman. You can trade for goalie prospects any day, but it's a waste to pick a goalie in the first round.
Really?

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Stajan
Colborne
Jooris
Bouma

Are all natural C. We have resorted to moving centermen to wing because there's such a log jam up the middle.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #57
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Really?

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Stajan
Colborne
Jooris
Bouma

Are all natural C. We have resorted to moving centermen to wing because there's such a log jam up the middle.
You missed "BIG" Centerman. I think he's aiming towards a Brian Boyle type of thing. Colborne is about as close to that.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #58
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Length of the contract is the only concern to me. Flames have plenty of cap space and I wouldn't be paying his salary.
But if there's term, cost is important
Old 05-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #59
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Really?

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Stajan
Colborne
Jooris
Bouma

Other than Monahan and Colborne (who plays wing), all of those players are either small or average sized. This team needs more size down the middle.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #60
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it's 4 years at 7 per, would you do that? 6.5? 6?

The luxury of having cap space is that it can be used on someone that costs a little more as long as you can move out similar dollars from other players. Hiller and Ramo cost 7 mil between them and I could see them both being removed from the equation after next season and having a tandem of Gillies/Ortio in 16-17. Jones, Raymond, Stajan Smid, Engelland can all be phased out over time as well if they need the funds to re-sign other guys.