Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 AM   #181
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Doesn't Buffalo have Makarov too? He should be due to make he big team soon
I watched him quite a few times when Addy played them, and he's not very good. I think Linus Ullmark is their only current goalie prospect that has any chance at becoming a decent goalie.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:10 AM   #182
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The weird thing is you don't becoming a starting goaltender until you do. Somebody gives you the ball and you run with it with high success. Also, the good ones continue to improve, be outstanding, steal games but they all start as backup.

I.e. The Kipper steal from San Jose.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:07 AM   #183
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You guys need to quit talking about us snagging 5th OA.. Getting my hopes up.

Even 35OA would be pretty great, if we didn't have to touch any of our seconds (the proposal that included our third sounded great to me which probably means not a chance in hell it happens)

A piece like that almost instantly moves the idea of "prospect we don't see a future with ++ pick for another first rounder to snag a prospect were in love with" into the realm of possibility.

Draft will be interesting, and not in an Oiler way
Old 05-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #184
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Hiller had some shaky games where the confidence and quick goals were painful to watch. He did battle back on many occasions. He put up some solid numbers and helped us win games on stretches. I think the most insightful analysis was from Hrudey who commented that he drops down two quickly and this was a style of goaltending that was encouraged and taught that is no longer favored. Maybe someone here could speak to this.

Ramo was a battler and more confident in net. Made some fantastic saves and numbers were very good. More upside because of age here with this goaltender.

So it's a tough choice. Would probably lean to Ramo based on the upside, but appreciate Hiller coming to Calgary and the games he played for us.
Yup, exactly to the point about Hiller from Hrudey. When you compare Ramo's style to Hiller, it's a case of two goalies with opposite ends of the spectrum.

Hiller likes to stay close to the net, yet his positioning is slow from one side to the other. This has improved over the season, but it's still not as fast as someone who can do splits like Quick or Kipper or even Ramo. When Hiller stays at the mouth of the goal line, he can leave wide open spots for shooters to shoot over his pads or through wrap arounds. When Hiller's on his game, he's pretty fast in blocking and gloving all the rising shots. But when he's off, the net is a big hole.

For Ramo, he likes to challenge oppositions to shoot the puck from any angle. Ramo will position himself further out so that most of the net is taken out of sight basically opposite of Hiller and effectively making himself bigger than the net. He's also more athletic, however from time to time, he does get out of position deep in his net when he starts sliding across.

Both goalies have improved from the start of the season, but I just think Ramo has a lot more upside with his style than with Hiller. Ramo seems to be able to bounce back quickly, like Kipper after a loss. Judging from the Vancouver series and into the Ducks series in the playoffs, Ramo was pretty solid after Hiller couldn't get the job done as a starter. I just feel that Hiller is a good backup, not a starter. The Ducks felt the same way.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:08 AM   #185
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The weird thing is you don't becoming a starting goaltender until you do. Somebody gives you the ball and you run with it with high success. Also, the good ones continue to improve, be outstanding, steal games but they all start as backup.

I.e. The Kipper steal from San Jose.
Yes, but they become starters by earning it. Has Ramo done that? Did 7 playoff games disprove all the other stats?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote