Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #1261
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Another look at it:

Link
https://gfycat.com/PettyGoldenHarrier
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #1262
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I watch Jankowski, I see a more skilled version of Joe Colborne. I still think he could be a good 2nd line center if he continues to progress. If you have both Monahan and Jankowski up the middle, you have a lot of size down the middle allowing you to be able to have some smaller wingers without as much issue.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #1263
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I still wish this .gif would go back 25-30 seconds where Jankowski forchecked that whole play into reality. The goal was gorgeous but the whole set up leading to it by Jankowski was beautiful. Beats out an icing, moves the puck up the boards and then gets back to the front of the net.

That .gif is about 30% of the whole body of work for that goal.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #1264
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
It's been beaten to death in this thread, but I just want to reiterate what others have said... you cannot judge Jankowski solely on his stats, period. He plays on one of the weaker teams talent-wise in the NCAA and his linemates are far from NCAA stars. If Jankowski had similar talent to play with that Gaudreau did during his NCAA career his stats would be considerably higher. This is especially so because Jankowski demonstrates an impressive playmaking game and while he sets his linemates with golden scoring opportunities, his linemates struggle to capitalize on them. Jankowski makes his linemates better, but there's only so much one player can do. What really sets Jankowski's game apart is his two-way game. Due to his club's lack of high end talent, they are forced to play a defense first game and Jankowski leads the pack in this regard. Jankowski's defensive game might be among the best for forwards in the NCAA. Anyone who thinks this guy is a bust is crazy. That being said, man do I hope he signs with the Flames next summer.
His team just won the NCAA championship. They aren't exactly chump change.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #1265
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
And got into the playoffs only because Jon Gillies is awesome. Otherwise they would have been a bottom feeder.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #1266
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
They were sort of like the 04 Flames.. A great goaltender (Gillies), a top-notch forward (Jankowski), some decent secondary players players (Acciari, Maeurmann), and a whole lot of grinders. They were crossing their fingers even hoping for a tourney invite.

You compare rosters with the team they beat in the championship game and i'm reminded of when Gelinas et al beat Yzerman's Red Wings.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #1267
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Friars were picked by many to be a top team at the start of the season however, people forget (or didn't know that?). They struggled early on, found their game mid season and really came on in the new year. Had a good playoff but were eliminated, went onto the sweet sixteen tourny by invite, then won.

They're a typical defensive team with a stand out goalie and many good but no great pieces.

Jankowski should be "the guy" up front for them next year, will be interesting to watch.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #1268
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Jankowski should be "the guy" up front for them next year, will be interesting to watch.
No guarantees of that. Mauermann does graduate this year, but Acciari and Saracino both remain on the team. Leaman likes his shutdown guys and Jankowski has been the man in that regard. Jankowski could end up in the similar role but end up the captain on the club, or be co-captain with Acciari. He's still going to be the man on the team as far as Leaman goes, but that doesn't mean he'll be the guy that gets all the offensive minutes. Leaman has a real different perspective on the game, which is good and bad for a guy like Jankowski.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #1269
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Long time lurker here, love this forum.

All the preliminary scouting reports listed him as a possibility of slipping into the high first round, his birthday was a few days from placing him into the 2013 draft.

He has size and undeniable skill and skating ability. His point production at Providence has been a bit disappointing but he hasn't been asked to play a first line power play role and he plays in a defense first system. He has proven to be a top face off man in a league that has stronger players than Junior. He was likely growing so fast through his Junior years (not weight) that he was overlooked and had many questions about where he actually would peak out.

The only reason this a controversial pick is it was a Canadian team and the Flames had a poor draft record. Take a look through recent drafts and check out all the players from 20 to 40, its like a 25 to 30% success rate.

I am pleased with the pick in hindsight, he will be a good face off man and will likely put up 30 to 40 points as a 2nd line or probably more likely a 3rd line center. Given the talent in the line up we have now it will be another pick we look back at in 3 years as being a another decent one by Feaster.

By all accounts he is a very smart player, coachable and has a lot of trust in his coach to play certain roles, he is definitely a 2 way prospect which is half the battle. Even this draft is littered with guys with high end talent that scouts think have trouble in their end of the ice or take shifts off. Do some reading, he is not lazy and works very hard.

Very hard to translate a guys game in the NCAA and how prospects will succeed at pro level.
BrownDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #1270
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to see the progress by Janko during his college career. Will need a year or two in Stockton to get used to the flames system and the pro game before he pushes for a roster spot in calgary.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #1271
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No
No
Yes, easily.
Come on bro.
I thought the green text was implied here.

So what you're saying is that our first rounder in 2013 is less valuable than Ferland. I like Ferland a lot, but he's not worth a first round draft pick.

FWIW, I agree. We have seen our 1st rounder value diminish to less than that of a bottom 6 forward. For me, that's failure of the scouts/GM.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #1272
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
So what you're saying is that our first rounder in 2013 is less valuable than Ferland. I like Ferland a lot, but he's not worth a first round draft pick.
Okay?

This goes back to my previous post about forgetting where picks were selected after the draft. Now they're all in the development blender. Jankowski might not ever live up to being a glorious 1st rounder, but that doesn't mean he can't carve out a long successful NHL career.

Joe Colborne won't ever be traded for a 1st rounder but he's looking to carve out a very good important secondary role on the Flames.
Quote:
FWIW, I agree. We have seen our 1st rounder value diminish to less than that of a bottom 6 forward. For me, that's failure of the scouts/GM.
That's pretty standard of most picks after that mid-1st round. It would be shocking if Klimchuk or Poirier could be traded for a first round pick, and if I were the Flames I wouldn't trade our 15th overall first rounder for the vast majority of guys selected in that range in recent years.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #1273
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backlund..
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #1274
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski has untapped upside. The question is, will he ever reach it?
If the Flames play patient with him, he could be the third centre, who would otherwise be a 2nd liner on other teams, behind Monahan and Bennett, setting the Flames up for a long time with an enviable amount of skill and depth at centre. if he busts out, it is a gamble lost.
What irked me with the pick was how Feaster/Weisbrod were going on about how he would be the best player in the draft 10 years from now - it was smug and trying to being the smartest guy in the room. They should have said it how it was - we took a gamble at this spot because Mark has untapped potential, and the organization needed some long term thinking to make sure a rebuild was sustainable.

based on what we have seen so far, it is still unclear what his upside/downside is, but I can say that he is not a bust (yet). Next 2 years will be key - does he take a step in college this season, and can he graduate to the pro ranks and continue to expand his game. He has the skills, the IQ, the frame to add size, he just needs time
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #1275
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Next 2 years will be key - does he take a step in college this season, and can he graduate to the pro ranks and continue to expand his game. He has the skills, the IQ, the frame to add size, he just needs time
The next two years thing is true for Jankowski but it's true for any guy. The next two years for Morgan Klimchuk are key, the next two years for Emile Poirier are key, the next two years for Hunter Smith, Brandon Hickey, Jon Gillies etc etc are all key.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #1276
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay?

This goes back to my previous post about forgetting where picks were selected after the draft. Now they're all in the development blender. Jankowski might not ever live up to being a glorious 1st rounder, but that doesn't mean he can't carve out a long successful NHL career.

Joe Colborne won't ever be traded for a 1st rounder but he's looking to carve out a very good important secondary role on the Flames.

That's pretty standard of most picks after that mid-1st round. It would be shocking if Klimchuk or Poirier could be traded for a first round pick, and if I were the Flames I wouldn't trade our 15th overall first rounder for the vast majority of guys selected in that range in recent years.
I agree with all of this. Who cares at this point where the kid was drafted? Could there have been a better first round pick at that spot? Maybe, maybe not. But like I said above, trade the order with John Gillies and I doubt there's an issue. They are both just players in the system now.

What current player or player in development on another team would I trade the Flames curent pick for? It's a pretty small list, made up of near-elite players or blue chippers. I expect the other teams would do the same. You won't get a first round pick for Backlund. Would you get one for Draisaitl? Maybe, maybe not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #1277
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing at how much mid 1st rounders get criticized around here.

Watch out 15th OA, you'll be the next whipping boy within the next 2 years if you aren't meeting some ridiculous expectations around here.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #1278
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Jankowski's game is pretty close to NHL-level already, his only untapped potential is offense. In my opinion, he could easily step onto an NHL roster next season in a 3rd/4th line capacity and thrive as a defensive forward. The question that remains is how high is his offensive ceiling? We've seen glimpses of being gifted offensively, but I doubt we'll see what he can really do in Providence. Even so, he's developing into a very well-rounded player who can contribute in all areas of the game. It's possible that he may never develop a top-six offensive skillset at the NHL level, but even so he'll stil be a critical player for us long-term. I've read posters wondering where Jankowski slots in with Monahan and Bennett as our top two centres. The way I see it, those two are not set in stone at C -- I think one or both are most likely to be our top two centres, but it is by no means guaranteed. If we need a big body who can win faceoffs and play a smart defense first game with some playmaking ability mixed in -- then that's Jankowski. If we need a checking line center who can shutdown opposing team's top lines like a modern day Joel Otto, then Jankowski fits the bill there, too.

Now don't get me wrong, he's not there yet. He's not going to slot into our second line centere spot like a Ryan Kesler right out of the gate. What I am saying is he is already very capable in the areas NHL coaches stress upon and still has an upside.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #1279
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post

Watch out 15th OA, you'll be the next whipping boy within the next 2 years if you aren't meeting some ridiculous expectations around here.
Especially with how close it is between the players available at that pick. It's almost inevitable that a player taken after the Flames' pick will look like the better choice in hindsight.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #1280
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post

It's the Sutter years.

1 successful first round pick in 7 years.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote