Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #141
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Can Hunter Smith play in the AHL next season?
Yeah, he can play in the AHL. The Flames could decide to send him back to the OHL just to see him mature a bit more and grow into his frame.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #142
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
How close is Hunter Smith? He had a great season.
I am a big fan and IMO, he is not very close. It just takes longer for guys with big frames like that to fill out, get their skating down, and pull it all together.

I think he's ready for the AHL next year (he would be stagnant playing against kids 2 or 3 years younger than him). He probably needs 2 full years in the AHL, getting stronger, and developing his skating, and then he could be a beast.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #143
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
He looks like a nightmare to defend, I thought Smith was another Ivanans. If he fills in his frame wow, he'll be a monster.
This is not directed at you, but I know that there are some people who think: big, therefore a talentless goon. Anyone who thinks this is simply not paying attention and are dead wrong.

He is never going to be Gaudreau, but he has skills and has the potential to be an extremely valuable player for the Flames.

Think an even bigger Colborne, way meaner, but not quite as soft hands (but not bad). Maroon is probably a good comparable of what I think he projects to be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #144
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I figured he was a goon not because he had size but from what I saw in the preseason he played like a violent maniac. Usually, but not always, that's a tough guy trying to make an impression without much skill to back it up. If he can make the NHL he'll be terrifying. 6'7"? Is that correct? If so holy ####.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #145
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I figured he was a goon not because he had size but from what I saw in the preseason he played like a violent maniac. Usually, but not always, that's a tough guy trying to make an impression without much skill to back it up. If he can make the NHL he'll be terrifying. 6'7"? Is that correct? If so holy ####.
That's fair - if all you saw was his time in camp, because yeah, he was trying to make an impression physically. But his game is more well-rounded than that.

Yes, 6'7". When he fills out, he could play at 235 or 240 lbs and still be slim enough to keep his speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #146
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like the Maroon comparison alot. It took him quite a while to make the bigs, but now he is playing on the top line, filling a role that is tought to fill. Not necessarily the most skilled, but he can keep up, and at worst could play in a 3/4 line capacity.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote