Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do the Flames select at #15?
Jakub Zboril 4 1.42%
Yevgeni Svechnikov 97 34.40%
Travis Konecny 27 9.57%
Thomas Chabot 54 19.15%
Colin White 4 1.42%
Jeremy Roy 17 6.03%
Oliver Kylington 52 18.44%
Brandon Carlo 11 3.90%
Brock Boeser 6 2.13%
Jansen Harkins 10 3.55%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #101
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The only way I draft a Russian in the first round is if he's NHL ready in a year or two at the most. Spending two more years in junior and expecting him to spend another possible three years in the minors before he's ready would probably send him back to the KHL where he can earn more money.
If you take Svechnikov at his word, he said he will play through junior and the AHL if that is what it takes to be an NHL player. He even downplayed the KHL as an inferior league at one point. He sounds very motivated.

He is also probably one of the NHL ready prospects available outside of the top 10 as well.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #102
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

I'm going to declare Svechnikov the Flames' selection and continue with the mock. I'm just as interested in possibly completing the 2nd round as the first round. I want to see who may be available with picks 45, 53, & 54.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #103
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Poll closed
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2015, 01:43 AM   #104
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Gaudreau - Bennett - Boeser
Klimchuk - Monahan - Poirier
Flames must love this guy.

CSS has him ranked 27th, Craig Button has him 8th
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #105
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Flames must love this guy.

CSS has him ranked 27th, Craig Button has him 8th
Might be a target for #45 because I see him sliding myself. He's is very similar to Klimchuk albeit with less physicality and a slightly worse shot.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:26 AM   #106
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Might be a target for #45 because I see him sliding myself. He's is very similar to Klimchuk albeit with less physicality and a slightly worse shot.
Huh? Boeser is known for a great shot,his quick release is elite as is his instincts and puck control. Neither player hits so thats a wash.

Tell you what, if we miss out on him trying to get him with a 2nd I would trade Klimchuk in a minute for him.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #107
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh? Boeser is known for a great shot,his quick release is elite as is his instincts and puck control. Neither player hits so thats a wash.

Tell you what, if we miss out on him trying to get him with a 2nd I would trade Klimchuk in a minute for him.
I like Klimchuk and think his shot is just a tiny bit better than Boeser, although it is very close. They are both about the same size and Klimchuk is a better skater. For me it's a toss up, although I'd probably go with Boeser just because he is a RW.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #108
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
They are both about the same size
Did Klimchuk have a growth spurt since his draft? Boeser's scouting reports all say he has a frame to be a good stocky player down low while size was one of the minor knocks on Klimchuk.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #109
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Boeser 6'0.5'' 191lbs per Central Scouting

Klimchuk 6'0'' 185lbs per Wheatkings. was listed at 5'11.25'' 180lbs by central scouting in his draft year.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #110
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I missed out on voting but I might as well make my case for Jeremy Roy anyway.

The year before, he scored 44 pts in 64 GP. This year, he scored 43 pts in 20 less games (and went 4pts in 6 GP in playoffs). A big jump in offensive production like that is a good sign that his offensive skills will continue to improve.

He checks off quite a lot of boxes that the Flames value in a prospect.

Position of Need - Need some good RH defencemen in our depth chart.

Size - He's got the frame, just needs to fill it out. Good enough to battle in front of the net and in the corners and keep the puck.

Hockey IQ - Very high hockey smarts especially in the o zone, extremely poised with the puck and makes the right pass.

Offense - Roy's skills line up well with the system that the Flames play. He's able to retrieve the puck quickly and make the first pass out as well, transitioning to offense in a flash.

Character - This is where I believe he fits the Flames best.

From what I've heard, Roy wants to be the difference-maker out there. He wants to win and take control of a game doing so. That's why he's earned himself an A in his second OHL year and is playing in all situations - even strength, 1st PK, 1st PP, getting the big minutes and a lot of it vs top competition. He'd fit perfectly in with the "Never Quit" mentality of the Flames organization.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #111
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Boeser 6'0.5'' 191lbs per Central Scouting

Klimchuk 6'0'' 185lbs per Wheatkings. was listed at 5'11.25'' 180lbs by central scouting in his draft year.
Boeser 6'1 192lbs per Blackhawks site. Klimchuk is now 20 and will likely max out at 190lbs as his frame isn't that big. Boeser has that big arse,neck and shoulders frame, likely 210-215lbs when he's done packing on the beef.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #112
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Boeser 6'1 192lbs per Blackhawks site. Klimchuk is now 20 and will likely max out at 190lbs as his frame isn't that big. Boeser has that big arse,neck and shoulders frame, likely 210-215lbs when he's done packing on the beef.
I've never been one to check out another fellers arse. I would assume that means wider hips? Or does he have a twerkalisious tush?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #113
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I am disagreeing with anything you are saying, but Central Scouting is usually the most accurate in terms of height.

They actually visit almost all the players during the season and actually measure them consistently and are not prone to rounding up that a lot of teams seem to do.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #114
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I've never been one to check out another fellers arse. I would assume that means wider hips? Or does he have a twerkalisious tush?
It's a Burkism.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #115
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I am disagreeing with anything you are saying, but Central Scouting is usually the most accurate in terms of height.

They actually visit almost all the players during the season and actually measure them consistently and are not prone to rounding up that a lot of teams seem to do.
I asked about this before to a pro scout and was told all any scout does is ask about height and weight, most draft eligible players don't lie as the combine is the real show.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #116
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
I asked about this before to a pro scout and was told all any scout does is ask about height and weight, most draft eligible players don't lie as the combine is the real show.
Yet they are measured and weighed by Central Scouting at the CHL top prospects and USHL top prospects game. They even have mini combine like activities and on-ice testing prior to those events.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #117
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet they are measured and weighed by Central Scouting at the CHL top prospects and USHL top prospects game. They even have mini combine like activities and on-ice testing prior to those events.
What I find is that a lot of listings use their draft stats and never update them. For more current stats I look at the junior teams listings. Case in point the Flames list Bennett at 6'1" and 178lbs. while the Frontenacs list him at 6'1" and 184lbs. Probably three years from now the Flames will be still listing him at 178lbs, just as the Flames still list Monahan at 185lbs. whereas he was reported at his first camp to weigh 200lbs. and at last camp to have gained another 10 or 12lbs.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #118
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That annoys me as well. I'm sure they go through all of that in training camp but why they don't update their bio's on the main website is beyond me.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #119
Gord_Wappel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Joel Eriksson Ek book it.
Gord_Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 AM   #120
Glo Boyz
Lifetime Suspension

If these are the players available I go Svechnikov or Chabot. Negative to Kylington or Roy.
Glo Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote