Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lets Talk About Remote Security Cameras for your Castle/Crib

Looking for a recommendation for a remote security camera setup - would be nice if the setup was less than $500 with 2/3 cameras.

Not sure I am overly interested in something that records, but that would be nice.

My primary desired feature would be the ability to view what is going on remotely via my smartphones/tablets.

Aslo looking for something that is relatively easy to configure with my home Wi-Fi.

Anyone?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Admittedly, I have nothing to directly contribute to your question, but I'm also interested in this, though I would like the ability to record.

Northendzone - would you be looking to put the cameras strictly outside, or would you want indoor cameras as well?
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was thinking cameras on the front and garage door and possibly on the front yard in general.

the ability to add additional cameras would be nice.

i should ote that i reviewed the future shop website and looked at a couple of options - the reviews for one model were split between it works great and "i could not figure how to configure it".
Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was at Memory Express last, I noticed D-Link had a pretty good lineup of cameras for just this sort of thing. Including outdoor cameras that are rated for Canadian Winters.

I messed around with one of their wireless IP cameras last year and it wasn't too bad at all. Only thing I didn't like was having to use their app to view the feed.

You can, however, log in to the actual camera and set it up to email you pictures when it detects movement in its field of view.

Without to much hassle, I'm sure you could set up remote access to see a live view.

You could add cameras at will as you don't need to hook them up to a central DVR system which I've found to be quite disappointing for the price. HORRIBLE interfaces on those things to boot.

Oh, and D-Link has software available for d/l that can run on a spare PC to act as a DVR too. Only thing I had some trouble with was the video files they generated were huge. I think an hour of footage was over a gig.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-27-2015 at 09:53 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got one a couple of years ago from monoprice and set it up to email pics based on motion. Problem is motion was not only every car or person that went by on the street, but as the sun rose and set it would sense it as motion.

First night I had it set up i got on a flight and when I landed I had 250 emails waiting for me. I don't know if they are all like that, but it really minimized the effectiveness.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
First night I had it set up i got on a flight and when I landed I had 250 emails waiting for me.
Lol, ya, had something similar happen to me. You can tweak the settings to reduce that though, you can also set it to only respond to motion in specific areas in its field of view.

Not sure how to combat the rising/setting sun though.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Paging Mr. FlamesGimp
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chalms04 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 4-channel LaView system (you can get em at Memex, NCIX, Newegg, etc) for less than $200. You can get ones with 500gb HDD PVRs or without and add your own for higher storage.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16881183006

-Free mobile app for remote viewing (as well as viewing recorded video)
-Great web interface and setup, very customizable.
-email notification if you want, on motion detect.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

My parents recently had their property broken into in Kaslo BC and have now rigged the property with cameras. They use DLink 5010 and 5020s maybe? They are rated as indoor cams, but we've zipped them under eaves troughs.

They record for up to a week for $4 a month with camera FTP. We all get email alerts for movement. For instance, I was having breakfasst and got an email, I clicked on the email, and then a video stream of someone we know that was checking the property. We also have one under the house to detect water heater failure if it blows.

It works well so far.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been meaning to get into this, but I don't want the video to look like it was recorded with a potato. Is it worth going with HD cameras?

Costco had a couple of DVR systems with HD cameras, such as this guy:

http://www.costco.ca/Swann%E2%84%A2-...100131877.html

These systems are expensive, but the cameras record in 1080p, and they're powered over the ethernet cable by the NVR.

The only problem with my place is, its not wired for cameras. There are rooms around the house wired for CAT5, but there's no CAT5 going outside. Pulling more cables isn't really an option for me, so I'd either have to go with wireless cameras, or some sort of powerline ethernet arrangement.

Any ideas?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #11
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

It's my understanding that wireless cameras still need to be plugged in, correct?

If not how often do you repalce the batteries?
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
It's my understanding that wireless cameras still need to be plugged in, correct?

Dlink recently (ie not on market yet) came out with some wifi wireless cameras that are battery run. If they run and stream for like 4 mins a day, they last a couple months apparently. But imagine real world will be even lower, and streaming time will be longer (if set to motion). I think you're stuck on wired (either for power/feed/ or both).

The 1080p systems are nice, but damned expensive.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I have a 4-channel LaView system (you can get em at Memex, NCIX, Newegg, etc) for less than $200. You can get ones with 500gb HDD PVRs or without and add your own for higher storage.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16881183006

-Free mobile app for remote viewing (as well as viewing recorded video)
-Great web interface and setup, very customizable.
-email notification if you want, on motion detect.
Second laview it has been great since I got it. I am too lazy to properly install the cameras though and might be selling mine if anyone is looking. It is the 2 camera with dvr. The motion detection works really well I had it to send me emails with snapshots of movement.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Dlink recently (ie not on market yet) came out with some wifi wireless cameras that are battery run. If they run and stream for like 4 mins a day, they last a couple months apparently. But imagine real world will be even lower, and streaming time will be longer (if set to motion). I think you're stuck on wired (either for power/feed/ or both).

The 1080p systems are nice, but damned expensive.
Yup. They would be wired regardless. But power is easier than CAT5.

And you're right, the HD stuff is really expensive. Have to check out the cheaper stuff I guess.

Same issue with the wiring for me though. No CAT5. But power has to be done anyway, and it won't be that hard.

How reliable are those powerline ethernet things? The devices that carry data through electrical wires? Cause for me, it's either that, or WiFi cameras on a separate wireless router.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stopped at future shop on the way home and picked up a Lorex unit for $300.......waiting for the receiver to charge before connecting it.

The unit only has one camera want to see the resolution and the app. May consider buying the $600 unit
Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

most of the cheaper systems have like 400 tvlines resolution which is fine if you just want to know if someone is in your yard, but not great if you want to know who that someone is.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little late to this party, but for anyone else looking. I really like my dropcam. They aren't rated to be outdoors though and the only recording is to the cloud(with a fee). you can opt out of the recording however.
Mine is setup just inside my front window so i can see what's going on at the front door from anywhere using my phone, iPad, computer...
Easy to set-up and add to as well.

http://www.amazon.ca/Dropcam-Wi-Fi-W...dp/B00FS5L9P2/
Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
A little late to this party, but for anyone else looking. I really like my dropcam. They aren't rated to be outdoors though and the only recording is to the cloud(with a fee). you can opt out of the recording however.
Mine is setup just inside my front window so i can see what's going on at the front door from anywhere using my phone, iPad, computer...
Easy to set-up and add to as well.

http://www.amazon.ca/Dropcam-Wi-Fi-W...dp/B00FS5L9P2/
Interesting...does dropcam send you an email with a clip or notification of movement if you don't subscribe to the CVR?
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #19
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn13 View Post
Interesting...does dropcam send you an email with a clip or notification of movement if you don't subscribe to the CVR?
this is IMO the only downside of dropcam. I have the pro in my daughters room because of the two way voice and high quality video but I use a Logitech as the baby monitor because dropcam notifications are really hit and miss. The delay can be as much as 30 minutes.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Temporarily set my unit up in the garage, it seems to be working as advertised thus far.