Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #41
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Auxiliary port on the stereo and an iPod is the solution
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #42
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they still play the odd gem...like for whom the bell tolls but really commercial radio sucks big time. People that hate CJ what is your alternative? Its not like there are any other good radio stations in Calgary. X929 are a bunch of whinny hipsters

I'll stick to the fan 960 or stuff I record off the net
Internet and Satellite Radio, Streaming services, could kill the Commercial beast with steely knives.

With the TuneIn Radio app I can stream almost any radio station in the world with my devices and to speakers with Airplay. At work I listen mostly to live streams.

CJSW is a great Calgary radio station - one of the best community stations in the world. They will not always have programs you enjoy, but seek out the genres that you like.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #43
dakeyras
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I was part of a series of music focus groups last week where we had to listen to 600+ song clips and rate them.

After that there were some questions for discussion. The questions were very Cjay-centric and especially about Forbes.

It came across (without them actually saying it) that Cjay was the force behind the focus group & they wanted to know what could be done to make the station more popular.

One other thing that was clear.....there's a lot of anti-Forbes sentiment and one guy summed it up nicely when he said he came back to Calgary after 7 years away, turned on Cjay & Forbes was doing the exact same things
dakeyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #44
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not saying Canadian artists and bands don't exist. I'm just saying that popular Canadian artists and bands don't exist like they did a few decade or two ago. If CJAY exclusively plays the content you linked every day people change the station.
Kind of a chicken-or-the-egg situation, no? I mean, most of the older popular Canadian artists and bands got their popularity from being played on the radio and/or MuchMusic. If those venues don't play new music, it's kind of hard for new music to become popular.

While X 92.9 has far too small of a music playlist, they get along really well with playing new music. I'm pretty sure many of those bands are Canadian.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #45
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Ok, I see what you are saying now. The music industry has changed dramatically. Bands don't need record companies to support them. We may not see many Canadian bands filling large arenas, but they have followings that are more difficult to measure.

Here is a list of all Gold/Platinum albums in Canada in 2014, with many Canadian entries:

http://musiccanada.com/gold-platinum...tal-downloads/

Arcade Fire was triple platinum, and played the Saddledome.

The new metric might be twitter followers, facebook likes, festival and late show appearances.
Essentially the internet killed the Canadian rock star. Prior to the that, Canadian Content laws had control over the primary media and bands like those that Erik Estrada mentioned could be very popular in Canada as a result. But the moment they crossed the border they were virtual unknowns because they were being pumped up by content laws. Most of those bands weren't very good, but in the days where the average person needed to watch MuchMusic or listen to terrestrial radio to hear new music, they were a good portion of what was offered so they built a following in Canada.

Now that's mostly not the case where consumers don't need traditional media to access new music and more importantly, Canadian artists don't need to rely on music videos and radio to find an audience. Unsurprisingly there are fewer Canadian artists that have those types of careers where they're huge in Canada and utter unknowns 5 minutes outside the border. Now there are many artists that have far more worldwide popularity than many of the bigger '90s Canadian bands ever did, but because the entire landscape is different they're not as popular in Canada and don't get featured on mainstream radio.

It's actually pretty shocking just how disparate some artists' popularity is Canada compared to everywhere else. The Tragically Hip play shows to 15,000 people in Vancouver one night and 500 people in Seattle the next. And they don't even bother touring far from the border because they probably couldn't even attract an audience of any size. On the other hand Canadian indie bands that play to 2000 people in Toronto often have no trouble playing to 3000 people in New York and 1000 people in Atlanta because their popularity isn't nearly as regional.

Ultimately though, commercial radio plays things that attract the type of people who would listen to commercial radio so it's not surprising that their playlists are pretty conservative and focused on the middle of the road.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #46
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Framers and Roofers.
Am I wrong for giving extra credit to the framers who are building my house for having the radio tuned to CKUA?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #47
simmonjam1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's like Cjay's playlist is on an old 2GB 1st gen iPod nano and they lost the cable to update it.

I prefer X92.9.
simmonjam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #48
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they still play the odd gem...like for whom the bell tolls but really commercial radio sucks big time. People that hate CJ what is your alternative? Its not like there are any other good radio stations in Calgary. X929 are a bunch of whinny hipsters

I'll stick to the fan 960 or stuff I record off the net
Pretty much this. Whenever I have a vehicle that I haven't had a chance to change the stereo head unit in yet I listen to the Radio. Cjay is essentially the best of the worst. It's bad... but every other station in Calgary is even worse.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #49
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Truth In Numbers: Six Music Industry Takeaways From Year-End Data

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomal...year-end-data/

1. More people are consuming music than ever before
2. Digital downloads are dying
3. The album will live on–in vinyl
4. Rock isn’t as dead as one might think
5. Radio still rules
6. Brands and bands are growing closer

5. Radio still rules.

There are 320 million people in the United States, and at the end of 2014, 298 million of them were active listeners of AM/FM radio , according to Morgan Stanley’s report. That’s more than double the total of Pandora (79 million), SiriusXM (27 million) and Spotify (14 million)–combined.

And it pays. Morgan Stanley figures that terrestrial broadcast radio accounted for 44% of total U.S. music industry revenue last year, easily topping No. 2 live music (26%) and satellite radio subscription (10%).

It may not always be that way–the report figures revenue growth for broadcast will decline by 1.4% annually over the next five years, while digital streaming advertising will soar at a 22.1% rate–but radio isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #50
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
In defense of CJAY they have to play Canadian content and while you can argue they maybe don't play enough current rock you can also argue that Canadian rock talent has fallen off a cliff since the 90's. No successors to the Hip and not even bands like Moist, Econoline Crush, Our Lady Peace, I Mother Earth, etc to fill the airwaves with. It's a barren wasteland for Canadian rock which means Nickelback and oldies.
CJAY's primary genres are Rock, Hard Rock and Alt-Rock, none of which the kids are listening to these days and since older fans typically don't seek out new music, there really is no place for these bands to grow. I'm not sure how exclusive that would be to Canada, the only really commercially successful band I can think of that's emerged in the last few years, that has the CJAY sound (without being a Nickelback derivative), would be Volbeat.

I'm not singling out anyone here, but I always find it funny when people say that they hate hearing the same songs on the radio all the time. CBC2 plays an incredible variety of great music from all genres and is never repetitive, but i don't know anyone who listens to CBC2.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #51
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
5. Radio still rules.

And it pays. Morgan Stanley figures that terrestrial broadcast radio accounted for 44% of total U.S. music industry revenue last year, easily topping No. 2 live music (26%) and satellite radio subscription (10%).

It may not always be that way–the report figures revenue growth for broadcast will decline by 1.4% annually over the next five years, while digital streaming advertising will soar at a 22.1% rate–but radio isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
I wonder if radio is a victory for the artists, or just the record companies.

One of my favourite musicians, Devin townsend, recently wrote a song with the production team that typically works with Nickelback, American Idol, etc. He ended up being disgusted with the song and vows not to release it, but what's interesting is that even though the song exactly fits the mold of commercial rock, he would still have to pay another $50k just to get radio play. So we can roughly estimate that it takes an upfront investment of +$100k to get a rock song on the radio:

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featu...erview-part-3/

Last edited by Matata; 01-27-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #52
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forbes has one of the best jobs in the city. Get paid pretty big bucks, never pay for a meal and pretty much just show up. All the "bits" he played when I used to listen were all taken from other people, be it novelty songs or actual "bits" from bigger US DJs. Laugh hilariously and boom, sweet gig
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
CJAY's primary genres are Rock, Hard Rock and Alt-Rock, none of which the kids are listening to these days and since older fans typically don't seek out new music, there really is no place for these bands to grow. I'm not sure how exclusive that would be to Canada, the only really commercially successful band I can think of that's emerged in the last few years, that has the CJAY sound (without being a Nickelback derivative), would be Volbeat.

I'm not singling out anyone here, but I always find it funny when people say that they hate hearing the same songs on the radio all the time. CBC2 plays an incredible variety of great music from all genres and is never repetitive, but i don't know anyone who listens to CBC2.
Really between ipods and satellite radio I'm surprised a station like CJAY still has listeners but I guess you can't underestimate the amount of people that are slow to adapt and change. I've been exclusively satellite radio and mp3 players for over a decade now in my vehicles so the only time I ever hear Forbes now is if I'm in someone else's car playing it (rare) or someone's house playing it (even more rare).

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-27-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #54
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Over the years I went from tape cases under the front seat to CD cases and now to an MP3 player. The only radio I ever listen to is Hockey on the Fan and Football on QR

Listening to CJAY gives me Hemorrhoids
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #55
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They've dedicated so much airtime to Black Hole Sun an actual black hole might be forming on the FM dial.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:41 AM   #56
CETokyo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Internet and Satellite Radio, Streaming services, could kill the Commercial beast with steely knives.

With the TuneIn Radio app I can stream almost any radio station in the world with my devices and to speakers with Airplay. At work I listen mostly to live streams.

CJSW is a great Calgary radio station - one of the best community stations in the world. They will not always have programs you enjoy, but seek out the genres that you like.
Troutman - As a former WOXY listener I was wondering if you have any suggestions for something as good as WOXY or at least similar.
CETokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETokyo View Post
Troutman - As a former WOXY listener I was wondering if you have any suggestions for something as good as WOXY or at least similar.
You might enjoy The Current:

http://www.thecurrent.org

If you listen to it through an app like TuneIn, the app will suggest similar stations and help you narrow down to something closest to your tastes.

KEXP
KCRW
CJSW
3WK
CBC3

http://www.npr.org/music/allsongs247/

http://www.iradiophilly.com/station....2#.VMkDDYFHarU

http://www.electriqueradio.com

Last edited by troutman; 01-28-2015 at 08:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: