Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 6'3 and find short people untrustworthy

I think it was in one of glad wells books where the height of a person is as correlated as gender is in terms of pay inequality.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #22
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm quite fortunate to be 6'2, but I empathize with this. I have a close friend, that's about 5'6". Great attitude, but I've seen first hand the ribbing he takes about being short, especially from his rugby team mates.

I've also read that most senior executives are taller than average..
(in addition to being caucasian, and salt & pepper up top... but that's taking this thread into a different direction)
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #23
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The truth is, the world is not designed for tall people. Vehicles are the worst--especially cars designed for 95lb, 5'2 asian women.

I don't think clothing options are as abundant as they are for midgets short people. Cinemas, theatres, and especially airplanes don't give a crap about taller clientele.

Being six inches shorter would be much easier.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #24
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
These people are judging someone on something they can't control. If it was a bunch of guys saying that they prefer skinny women or a girl with D cups they would get ridiculed like crazy.
You're right. Practically all you ever hear is how guys prefer over-weight, small chested women.

Last edited by Peanut; 01-24-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #25
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Meh. I'm tall for a girl at 5'11'' and don't mind it except for when I'm buying jeans (finding a 36 inseam in something that isn't a 00 is near impossible) and when I wear heels because then I really feel like amazon woman. I always did like when a guy was over 6'0'' (my current SO is a tiny bit shorter than me but it doesn't bother me... too much).
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #26
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
5'9 to 5'10 counts as a spurt?? I don't know if i'd have noticed.

I am 5'9 and now insecure that you are an inch taller though
Yeah, no doubt. I am 5'9 and didn't give it much thought until this thread. Now I feel like I should be touring Middle Earth with my gardener, Samwise.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 AM   #27
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think growing an inch counts as a growth spurt. I grew over 6 inches in less than a year in junior high. That's a growth spurt.

Being tall does have its advantages, that's pretty obvious. There are a lot of height supremacists out there.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #28
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Most of my buddies that are short are shredded.. they make up for their insecurity through the gym... and they get laid a lot by taller girls.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #29
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Most of my buddies that are short are shredded.. they make up for their insecurity through the gym... and they get laid a lot by taller girls.
Some short guys make up for their insecurity in other ways.

Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #30
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't mind being a bit shorter. My favourite car I can only take out for a few hours before I start to get cramped.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 02:14 AM   #31
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 5'7, so on the short side. Can't say it bothers me much, TBQH. Sure, I'd like to be a few inches taller if possible, but that's the hand I was dealt, so I've never let it get to me. Plus, on the bright side, I don't think I've ever had problems buying clothes/shoes or driving any type of car. I fit in everything.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:20 AM   #32
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Airplanes, would be a huge advantage.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 AM   #33
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no Adonis by any means, and not what anyone would call tall (5'10...5'11 with my Timberlands!), but every once in a while you see a guy who's really short AND who's losing his hair in his 20s, and I really feel for that guy.

Nobody says you can't be short/bald and still be a lady killer (check out Picasso) but it definitely requires you to have some outstanding skills or personality elsewhere. If you're good enough at something, you'll get attention... Stephen Hawking probably got more girls than anyone here.

Last edited by Table 5; 01-25-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 AM   #34
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is that everyone has their hang ups. Some more than others. I went bald at 22. Not much I can do about that. No more than some guy that's 5'6 can deal with their own shortcomings (sorry, I had to).

Things like that are out of your control. Focus on what is in your control. Be interesting. Nothing is more helpful than being passionate about something, even if it is something nerdy or unusual. You might not appeal to as broad of a swath of the population of the group you desire because you're short or you're bald, but if you try to improve yourself in areas that you can control, you'll be a hit with those you do appeal to.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #35
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
People actually make fun of your height at 5'9"? I was the same height as you from 17 up to last year (I'm 20 now) and I was never called short once during that time frame.

EDIT: changed the thread title to something more appropriate.
5'9" isn't short in high school -- there's lots of guys that don't hit their growth spurt and shoot beyond that til grade 12.

I'm 5'11" -- almost the perfect height really. No one makes fun of you for being short, it's tall enough for most women, but you're not so tall that you have trouble buying clothes or fitting in small cars. I also grew FAST. I was 5'10" by the end of 9th grade, everyone thought I was going to be a giant. Put on another inch in 10th grade and was done lol.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #36
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I recall reading in the early days of online dating that somebody had done an experiment by creating 2 identical profiles one 5'11" and one 6'. If I remember correctly it was a stats geek or someone into auction market theory.I don't remember exactly how they ran it or how scientific it was, but the conclusion was that many women had there search parameters set to 6' or taller.
His suggestion to women was to search for 5'10 - 5'11" men as there would be less competition there and for men to always call yourself 6' if you could get away with it.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #37
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friends, you bow to no one.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #38
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, I had no idea it was such a thing, apparently. I'm a hair under 5'8" and I've never really felt these injustices or insecurities about it, at least not to the life-altering effects being hinted at here. I definitely don't have a case of small man syndrome, thank jebus.

Even back in my club days, when the women were all in heels, I don't remember it being a big issue. Sure, if I came up to a woman's chin or something, I'd avoid those ones. But really, how many women are above 5'5" anyway, like 10-15%? Tons of short/average height women around too.

I think it just boils down to insecurity, if it's affecting you that much.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #39
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 5'6", but these are not women somebody at any height should want to date.

If my height helps me identify the truly superficial, great.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #40
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

I'm 5' 11-1/2" but I lie and tell everyone I'm 6'. I don't people to think I'm short.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote