Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #41
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Other sports teams do similiar things and some call it racism. This author is claiming that the Canucks use of native images is celebrating native culture. I'm confused.
I hate the Canucks as much as anyone, but there is no similarity between what the Canucks do and stuff like the Cleveland Indians logo or even the name Redskins (which many natives find offensive). Apples and oranges.

Vancouver as a city actually does do a great job with native imagery and cultural references, its a pretty cool aspect of their civic identity.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #42
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I thought we made you guys live in Richmond?
Cultural enclaves like that can also develop from groups moving to places for better business and real-estate opportunities so it's not necessarily unhealthy. In the cases of Richmond, Markham, etc. wealthy and successful immigrant populations flocked to suburbs where it was more affordable to build new housing, malls, office parks, etc. to develop new businesses that catered to their communities there because the traditional Canadian downtown Chinatowns were old, expensive, required too much work to rejuvenate, and did not provide avenues for affordable/manageable growth, expansion, and housing.

The problems with reserves are they are artificial preserves mandated by treaty in areas and locations where there are no economic opportunities or economic output, making them sink holes for public funding and social assistance.

If the inhabitants refuse to leave, that is their right but you could also point out the fact that their ancestors first came to North America over the land-bridge for specific reasons - following migrating animals into new lands of opportunity. Staying in one stagnating place that is propped up by the dollars of other taxpayers is unhealthy and leads to these sorts of racial prejudices and malcontent.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-23-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #43
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I read most of it. It seems to be about racism against aboriginals in Winnipeg. Racism isn't just limited to non-aboriginals, though. The article doesn't mention that.
That because the article isn't called "Everyone can be racist". It would be a pretty pointless article.

The racism natives have dealt with in this country has been systemic at times, and goes back over a century. They have been a marginalized minority for generations. Let's not pretend some native guy using the term whitey is even remotely the same thing.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #44
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
The article clearly outlines studies and surveys that support the idea that racism (against natives) is a big issue in those provinces.

Don't worry, keep your head in the sand. Better to pretend Vancouver is just as bad.
It's not about me burying my head in the sand, it's about turning this into Prairies vs. rest of Canada partisan garbage that does nothing but encourage fighting between the two sides rather than take a look at the bigger picture which is racism against Aboriginals in Canada as a whole. You can say "look, the prairies are worse" but the other provinces still scored 20% racist.

How about the other races? Is it just Aboriginals that are experiencing a disparity in racism from province to province?

Last edited by CampbellsTransgressions; 01-23-2015 at 03:43 PM.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #45
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
That because the article isn't called "Everyone can be racist". It would be a pretty pointless article.

The racism natives have dealt with in this country has been systemic at times, and goes back over a century. They have been a marginalized minority for generations. Let's not pretend some native guy using the term whitey is even remotely the same thing.
Agreed, native populations have been marginalized for generations, no issues there. However, an aboriginal calling a white guy 'whitey' is racist. Just because they're native doesn't mean their racism isn't any more acceptable.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #46
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, native populations have been marginalized for generations, no issues there. However, an aboriginal calling a white guy 'whitey' is racist. Just because they're native doesn't mean their racism isn't any more acceptable.
But why would the article have to mention that? It was about what it was about.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #47
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
However, an aboriginal calling a white guy 'whitey' is racist.
Not anymore, according to the "new" sociological definition of racism. With the new definition, any minority group can't be racist against the majority group, they can only be "prejudiced" against them. So an aboriginal calling a white guy 'whitey' now is an aboriginal being 'prejudiced' against white people.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #48
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
But why would the article have to mention that? It was about what it was about.
I guess it doesn't have to mention it. Doesn't mean that side of the story doesn't exist, however. I hope people realize that.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #49
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it doesn't have to mention it. Doesn't mean that side of the story doesn't exist, however. I hope people realize that.
You should write an article about it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Other sports teams do similiar things and some call it racism. This author is claiming that the Canucks use of native images is celebrating native culture. I'm confused.
Because what the Canucks do is actually much closer to celebrating native culture than what the Redskins do, which is celebrate a native stereotype.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #51
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Not anymore, according to the "new" sociological definition of racism. With the new definition, any minority group can't be racist against the majority group, they can only be "prejudiced" against them. So an aboriginal calling a white guy 'whitey' now is an aboriginal being 'prejudiced' against white people.
Maybe it's just me, but the fact that racism against white people can basically be reduced to being called "whitey" or some derivative vs. the massive amounts of institutionalized racism leading to high rates of suicide, abuse, murder, and addiction among aboriginals, is probably why I don't really feel the need to speak out against "racism" against whites. Doing so comes across as tremendously petty, self-centered, and tone-deaf.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #52
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

No not really.
I remember the staggering statistics I was exposed to from a university course a couple years ago and have only heard that the situation is deteriorating. No need to read more depressing crap when there is nothing we can do to fix it cause no one will have the balls to pull the plug on the reserves.

A race war might be the only thing that drives change... At least we seem to be well on our way to that.
You do realize that this article is talking about natives who live in Winnipeg, and not on the reserves, right?

Last edited by rubecube; 01-23-2015 at 04:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #53
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You should write an article about it.
Maybe I will.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #54
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the fact that racism against white people can basically be reduced to being called "whitey" or some derivative vs. the massive amounts of institutionalized racism leading to high rates of suicide, abuse, murder, and addiction among aboriginals, is probably why I don't really feel the need to speak out against "racism" against whites. Doing so comes across as tremendously petty, self-centered, and tone-deaf.
Disagree. Racism is bad from all angles, no matter how you spew it. Do you like being called 'gringo', 'white boy', 'cracker', etc? I sure don't, and I'm not sure why that's acceptable. Because their different skin color gives them a free pass? That's just perpetuating the problem.

Accepting racism against whites is just as bad and juvenile as being racist against any other race. Aboriginals have been treated poorly, and there is no denying that; but what you may fail to notice is that there's lots of 'white' people that are working with aboriginal people to better their lives and living standards. There are many races providing support for, and helping, other races, all over Canada.

Allowing racism from one party, and not from another, is petty, self-centered and tone-deaf. It should be condemned from all angles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #55
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You do realize that this article is talking about natives who live in Winnipeg, and not on the reserves, right?
He already explained that he doesn't need to read the article to take over the thread with his commentary, Rube. Pretty simple stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #56
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
He already explained that he doesn't need to read the article to take over the thread with his commentary, Rube. Pretty simple stuff.
But I did read it.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #57
jayswin

Exp:

Non-article readers with high post counts in threads are so annoying on CP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #58
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
But I did read it.
He was responding to Polak with that post.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #59
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. Racism is bad from all angles, no matter how you spew it. Do you like being called 'gringo', 'white boy', 'cracker', etc? I sure don't, and I'm not sure why that's acceptable. Because their different skin color gives them a free pass? That's just perpetuating the problem.
Actually, I don't really care. I'm not saying it's right. I just personally am not bothered by it.

Quote:
Accepting racism against whites is just as bad and juvenile as being racist against any other race.
No one is accepting racism against whites. We're arguing that no tangible racism against whites exists. If you disagree, then please provide some examples of where you've been unfairly discriminated against on the basis of your race, and how that's effected your life in any tangible, measurable or discernible way.

The other argument is that any racism against whites by aboriginals is a reaction to years of oppression and abuse suffered at the hands of whites. This isn't something I necessarily agree with, but we've seen in this thread that white people think it's perfectly okay to stereotype aboriginals based on the actions of other aboriginals and anecdotal experiences. If that's the case then isn't it understandable if aboriginals attach the stereotypes of racist, abusive #######s to white people based on their own anecdotal experiences?

Quote:
but what you may fail to notice is that there's lots of 'white' people that are working with aboriginal people to better their lives and living standards. There are many races providing support for, and helping, other races, all over Canada.
Completely irrelevant to what we're discussing.

Quote:
Allowing racism from one party, and not from another, is petty, self-centered and tone-deaf. It should be condemned from all angles.
That first sentence is just one giant mess of a contradiction.

Last edited by rubecube; 01-23-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #60
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I will.
I look forward to reading most of it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
fatso, V