Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #41
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Once a week? You must have been there most loyal customer!

Pretty much. We were the finest of looky-loos.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #42
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What happens to the space at Chinook? Maybe a Simons store?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #43
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The big issue I found with Target is that it didn't offer all the departments people need.

If I need hardware, there was half an isle, car products were only half an isle. They offered some grocery, but I couldn't get a full grocery order there (even taking product out of the equation the selection just wasn't there).

I found they didn't offer the super low end products. It was all reasonable. So you'd go in and look and say "hey look blenders start at $50, that's expensive" when in reality that same blender at Walmart was $50, but Walmart also offered junky blender for $20 so when you're in Walmart you'd say "Wow Walmart's cheap, blenders for $20, but I'm not buying that crap I'll get the $50 one."

It's weird to see, Walmart is expanding where Target is closing.

Target had HORRID supply issues. No idea how they thought that would ever work. My wife and I went in after Christmas, 3/4 of the men's section was literally empty. Not like "oh there were only a few things on the racks" I mean there was nothing on any of the racks... nothing. Not one sweater... nothing.

I did like Target, if I needed something they carried I'd go there. However, Walmart was generally easier as they carried all the stuff I needed but wasn't going to make a special trip for.

Hey I need a plastic storage bin, I'll go to Target and walk out with a plastic storage bin. But if I went to Walmart I'd also get sale for the driveway, and are those athletic long-johns for $9? They aren't the greatest quality but for $9 they'll do the trick!

There's the difference right there.

I also get the impression that Walmart treats management better than Target and actually supports management and the stores. Target aggressively did not support their stores nor employees.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #44
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Store location would've played a major factor IMO. Most Chinook Center patrons are not Target shoppers, big box stores need to be in the big box areas. Grocery would've played a big part in this as well. Margins in the grocery industry are in the single digits, the shrink/ waste at these stores was though the roof.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #45
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think its the location that is the problem, but the prices and stock. Look at Westhills. Superstore right next door is always jam packed, while Target was a virtual ghost town. Not saying they're direct competitors on everything, but just shows people will go where ever is a good place to shop.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #46
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
My memories of Target here:
1- one time at the Sunridge store I went to pay and ALL the tills were closed. Walked over to customer service and they said "oh that's ok I'll ring through your order". Like it was no big deal all the tills were closed. This was no where near closing time.
2 - At the 17th Ave store they had a "as advertised" price sticker over top of the old price. It was paper towel and the old price was about $2 cheaper than the flashy "as advertised". All you had to do was flip up the "as advertised" thing to see the old price.
3 - A few months ago at the 17th Ave store the only cashier that was open stopped taking customers and proceeded to argue with his manager about taking a break - this over the walkie talkie system they use.
4- The walkie talkies drove me nuts.
Went there the other day to buy my kid mittens and juice boxes. When I paid, I kinda thought it seemed like more than it should be. I checked the receipt, and they charged me $.50 deposit per juice box. A five pack of juice boxes was $1.89 for the juice, and $2.50 for the deposit.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #47
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne7en View Post
There are 382 Walmart stores today. None of those examples were equivalent to the competition that Walmart is today.
In 1994 K-Mart closed 110 stores.
In 1993 Woodwards went bankrupt.
Zellers was struggling and in 1996 bought by The Hudson's Bay Company.
All of those examples are equivalent to what Walmart was *then*, however. Back then, Walmart had serious competition from several established brands.

Today, Target's only significant competition was Walmart.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #48
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

How long does it usually take for these stores to wind down operations? Will the exit from the market be a quick one, or does this tend to drag out over a long period of time?

Last edited by Jbo; 01-15-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #49
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
How long does it usually take for these stores to wind down operations? Will the exit from the amrket be a quick one, or does this tend to drag out over a long period of time?

Well when Future Shop closed their Macleod store it was immediate and without warning.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #50
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

They made very little effort to actually attract shoppers. It seems like they were convinced that Canadians would be so blindly in love with the brand that no actual penetration/market growth plan had to be created.

Great case study for business students in years to come.

I bought a laundry hamper there a month ago and then returned it after I found a better one for a better price at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #51
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Well when Future Shop closed their Macleod store it was immediate and without warning.
That's easier though. Transfer the stock to other stores, transfer or lay off employees, lock the doors.

Target's demise will probably last as long as Zellers' did, and that was several weeks of increasing discounts to liquidate as much inventory (and even shelving) as they could.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #52
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's too bad, I was really hoping they would succeed here. I liked Target...they had some products that were nicely designed and it was a good place to get some basics that were a step above Walmart.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #53
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That's easier though. Transfer the stock to other stores, transfer or lay off employees, lock the doors.

Target's demise will probably last as long as Zellers' did, and that was several weeks of increasing discounts to liquidate as much inventory (and even shelving) as they could.
When Zellers closed they had to ditch everything, industrial sized fridges and freezers were for sale along with the shelving
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #54
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll miss Target for the odd incredible deal I got but that's it. Broil King Baron for $199? Yes please.

As others have said, the stores routinely looked like they had been looted over night with row after row of bare shelves and unmanned tills. Then there's the pointless website...

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #55
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post

I bought a laundry hamper there a month ago and then returned it after I found a better one for a better price at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
There's another store I am continually astounded they remain in business. Every time I'm in a BB&B it seems staff outnumber customers. They have cool stuff, but the stores are huge and I'm amazed they have the sales volume to keep the doors open.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #56
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously a total debacle for Target, but they only have themselves to blame. Pretty much from the start it was very poorly run, seems to me they just thought people would show up and shop there because they hated Wal-Mart or loved Target in the US. Thing is once people experienced Target Canada once that was that, people figured out it was just Zellers with a new design.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #57
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll miss the odd great deal I got from it ($150 WiiU, relatively new clearance games and gift card offers)

Let the vulture pickings begin.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #58
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Thing is once people experienced Target Canada once that was that, people figured out it was just Zellers with a new design.
It's Zellers with BETTER design. Small, but important, distinction.

It's the same chinese-made crap, but with a better level of design (they often bring in higher-end designers to do some lower lines for them). I really liked that about them...you don't expect quality at that price range, but it doesn't mean your towels and shower curtains, or whatever, have to look bad.

My American wife (who actually designed some stuff for Target a few years back) will not be happy to hear this news. She was there every week for basics.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #59
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is not unexpected considering what has already been said here...no existent stock and staff, but it's unfortunate because it will most likely mean other U.S. chains might think twice before coming here and I personally always welcome more competition.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #60
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious -- everyone says Target never had stock on the shelves... what are you buying that they didn't have? Food? Clothing? Housewares?

I only went every once in a while (since I buy my staple goods elsewhere) but don't recall ever having a moment where I wanted to buy something and the shelf was empty (maybe only finding a certain size for clothing but only when it was on clearance).

The reason why Target is successful in the US is because they could match Walmart both in terms of price and stock, exceeded Walmart in terms of shopping experience, and had additional brands that were a "step up" from the generic "Walmart" brands in quality but not necessarily price. Other than having cleaner, newer, shinier stores, they came nowhere close to doing the same in Canada.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote